Madonna

Another fantastic documentary from the Bitch She's Madonna gang to celebrate Ray of Light's 25th Anniversary

I've said it before but I really hope someone in Madonna's camp hires them for the rereleases - would be perfect to have something like this to sit alongside the music videos on a Blu Ray disc.

Posted in Vinyljustice but here's the tracklist:

AL.jpg

I am really happy that she decided to make this a tribute to Peter Rauhofer & picked up his "Classic House" mix of Nothing Fails - truly one of her greatest remixes.

Mine too, an absolute gem this song. Her vocals on it give me chills too.

The yearning in Madonna’s voice on Borderline is what draws me in. It’s what makes her such a great singer and the Queen of Pop. You cannot learn that. You cannot manufacture it. It’s unique. It’s special. Whenever I hear Borderline I feel like that seven year old discovering her again.

People talk about Hung Up as being the object that 'saved' Madonna's career but never seem to mention her Live 8 2005 set which, I think, at least was a huge catalyst in that rejuvenation. Thoughts?

EDIT: Also, in lieu of a similar festival set, this is the closest we can imagine to her reception being at Glastonbury.

I remember Live 8 performance being widly well recieved, indeed.
Crazy to think that between the three months from Live 8 to Hung Up she fell off a horse, recovered and came back with a totally new image. Back then it seemed like a much longer period of time.

And then she gave us this:

I'll never forget how much I cried with faguette joy watching this during the livestream.

Live8 was the earliest sung-live performances of her I remember seeing on TV (I guess maybe I saw On Stage and On the Record before this, but it obviously didn't have the Live8 viewership) - and it was definitely an "I have to see her live" moment for me, after being kind of too young for the previous tour, and then yeah I saw Confessions alone aged 16 and life peaked. If she ever did a Glasto performance similarly to this I think it would go down very well.

Also love George Michael here at 3:12 saying you can tell she had been practising...

He/him
American Life getting a special release for its 20th anniversary makes me hopeful that they have something bigger planned for Ray of Light's 25th in like 2 weeks

I'd be surprised if there was an expanded edition (at least physically) coming at such short notice but it would be nice timing for an announcement.

Otherwise, there is a conspicuous Ray of Light shaped hole in her streaming catalogue (with the exception of Frozen) so I wouldn't be surprised if we started getting the remaining remix EPs on streaming for the 25th anniversary.

EDIT: Of course there's an even more conspicuous American Life shaped hole on streaming so between both albums there could be a steady stream of remix EPs until probably May/June time.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if there was an expanded edition (at least physically) coming at such short notice but it would be nice timing for an announcement.

Otherwise, there is a conspicuous Ray of Light shaped hole in her streaming catalogue (with the exception of Frozen) so I wouldn't be surprised if we started getting the remaining remix EPs on streaming for the 25th anniversary.

EDIT: Of course there's an even more conspicuous American Life shaped hole on streaming so between both albums there could be a steady stream of remix EPs until probably May/June time.
Oh I do hope so, be good to see the remix EPs continue for one thing.

he/him
Thanks to @Maki linking a version of Ray of Light's Wikipedia page from 2006, I have some new reissue-related requests
Madonna had originally enlisted a number of different collaborators for the album, including Robert Miles, Trent Reznor, Nellee Hooper (who had produced "Bedtime Story"), Babyface (who had co-written and produced "Take a Bow") and William Orbit. In the end, only Orbit remained on the project, most likely because Madonna wanted the album to have a strong identity. There are rumoured to be demos of certain songs from the album produced with some of the above artists.
If this isn't just fan conjecture...