Madonna

Wait what is P!nk saying about Madonna?

Edit, just seen the interview, really nothing bad.
My main issue with it is that the Regis and Kelly appearance, which is on YouTube, doesn't match how she describes it and it generates sensationalized headlines that frame Madonna negatively, resulting in another round of bashing. If I were Madonna I'd definitely not like her now, even if I never thought about her before.

Last edited:
The Work In Progress tape was discussed before the forum closed, and it’s by Orbit. Sky Fits Heaven is the Leonard’s version with an early Orbit production.

Last edited:
Yeah Candy Perfume Girl and Drowned World are pretty close to their album versions but Sky Fits Heaven is an interesting peek into an alternate universe where Patrick Leonard produced Madonna again. It's certainly very adult contemporary.

The problem with Hard Candy was first and foremost the lack of strong, good, visual identity. The Boxer X Candy Store "concept" was a choice and looked awful. We had a video that was quite meh, a photoshoot set to music and a tour footage one in an era were the pop girls were going strong on the visuals.

Other than that, I think it was kind of shocking to get a fun, unpretentious album at that point, even Confessions that was sold as that still had the "serious" side worked quite strongly.

Nelly Furtado, Gwen and Timberlake had gigant, career-changing eras with the same producers and, even though now I think that Hard Candy aged better than most of their stuff, as an era, it felt lacking at the time.

But yeah, Madonna/Pharrell is not celebrated as it should be. Bops on top of bops. We just need a Glory moment. Change that horrid cover to make people want to listen to the album.

Are these pre-Orbit?
They are all produced by WO.

WORK IN PROGRESS MIXES 8/21/97

The main reason we're all here. Here's a description of the demos:

Drowned World: This is pretty similar to the final album version. The intro (the droney section before the vocals start) is stretched out about 15 seconds longer.

Candy Perfume Girl: Quite a few structural differences throughout. It matches the Instrumental version we have (except this has the vocals obviously). From this, the final version had the intro shortened, one break chopped out, and another break filled in with beats, and one "girl/boy" chopped out of the ending.

Sky Fits Heaven: The highlight here, this is completely different from any other version I've heard. 100% Orbit production, but without straying too far from Nowell's initial idea. It's the rumbling bass rhythms and half-time rhythms that Nowell's demo started with, but with Orbit's psychedelic soundscape that made me a Madonna fan in the first place.

The tracks overall sound a bit better than the album too. In particular, "Candy" doesn't have the same piercing sibilance that can be a bit grating on the album version.

He/Him/His
The problem with Hard Candy was first and foremost the lack of strong, good, visual identity. The Boxer X Candy Store "concept" was a choice and looked awful. We had a video that was quite meh, a photoshoot set to music and a tour footage one in an era were the pop girls were going strong on the visuals.

Other than that, I think it was kind of shocking to get a fun, unpretentious album at that point, even Confessions that was sold as that still had the "serious" side worked quite strongly.

Nelly Furtado, Gwen and Timberlake had gigant, career-changing eras with the same producers and, even though now I think that Hard Candy aged better than most of their stuff, as an era, it felt lacking at the time.

But yeah, Madonna/Pharrell is not celebrated as it should be. Bops on top of bops. We just need a Glory moment. Change that horrid cover to make people want to listen to the album.
It's weird because I agree, but then imagining the album only represented by the boxer shoots with no candy backgrounds seems unrepresentative. Hmm... maybe I've softened on the art direction more than I think.