Madonna

Oh, Madonna. She was the first popstar I loved (And still do). I guess I'll do my list of favorite albums.

1) Like A Virgin (Just amazing)
2) Madonna (Really great songs, but not as good as Virgin for me)
3) Confessions on a Dancefloor (The album that made me completely love her again)
4) Like A Prayer (Not much to say here, we all know what this album meant)
5) Ray Of Light (Such a different sound and feeling for her)
6) American Life (Even more adult and reflective, and I love her for it)
7) Music (Its like she thought "Right I'm a popstar, but I also want to be reflective")
8) Hard Candy (Just a fun Madonna album)
9) Erotica (I didn't understand what happened to her when this came out, I was really young, but now I appreciate what she was doing and where she was going with it)
10) True Blue (Though there are some songs I like, I just don't get this album)
11) Bedtime Stories (When this came out I didn't even know about it. Secret, Human Nature, and Take a Bow are amazing, the rest........)

Wow, that was kind of hard. I wonder what she'll do next?

G

graffitimysoul

I agree with what Numerology said on maybe the first page. I don't think I was around at the right time to appreciate the Like a Prayer album. I absolutely adore the song, it's one of my favourites, but the album as a whole leaves me a bit dry.

I don't think there's any Madonna album, out of the ones I've heard in full, that I like from start to finish. They all have standout tracks though.

Favourite Madonna songs:
1. Like a Prayer
2. Frozen
3. Nothing Fails
4. Deeper and Deeper
5. Drowned World/Substitute For Love
6. Hung Up
7. Bedtime Story
8. Dress You Up
9. Like a Virgin
10. Live to Tell
11. Vogue
12. Secret
13. Love Profusion
14. You'll See
15. What It Feels Like for a Girl

Her worst song is easily Rain. I'm not a fan of Take a Bow either.

In defense of Bedtime Stories, which seems to need a lot of defending, the title track, Sanctuary, and Love Tried to Welcome Me are all, in my opinion, underappreciated. Those plus the singles Matty-Matt mentioned make it a pretty solid effort, or so I think anyway.

As for ranking Madonna songs - I'm not going to even attempt it. She just has too many great songs and a ranking would be all on a whim and subject to change at any moment. That said, none of her top 20 songs are on Hard Candy. Fact.

Whenever I listen to Bedtime Stories, I try to just think about what she was going for at that moment. It is a good album but when compared to what she did before and what was to come, for me, it was weak.

debord said:
I think Numerology was more saying that they don't listen to much 'old' music in general rather than any specific comment on Madonna's back catalogue.

Exactly. I think it's a pretty bad failing of our entire generation actually. I know artists like Madonna and The Pet Shop Boys are good, and when I listen to their older stuff I can appreciate why it's great and celebrated as pop, but it's not something I would choose to listen to in my spare time.

American Life was the first Madonna song I ever heard and I thought. Wow. That's different. I just really love everything the album stands for, the production used on it...anything guitar lead is fine by me!

And then I reach Track 7 and just melt inside. Intervention is one of my favourite pop songs of all time.

Numerology said:
debord said:
I think Numerology was more saying that they don't listen to much 'old' music in general rather than any specific comment on Madonna's back catalogue.

Exactly. I think it's a pretty bad failing of our entire generation actually. I know artists like Madonna and The Pet Shop Boys are good, and when I listen to their older stuff I can appreciate why it's great and celebrated as pop, but it's not something I would choose to listen to in my spare time.

I don't think that's as much "your generation" as it is your age. You're not supposed to like what your parents like(d) when you're a teen. It gets a bit easier in your 20's.

Daneeeboy said:
Numerology said:
debord said:

I don't think that's as much "your generation" as it is your age. You're not supposed to like what your parents like(d) when you're a teen. It gets a bit easier in your 20's.

I'd always thought i'd have a whack at listening to her albums when i'm a little older. Maybe then i'll understand what she's on about in Candy Shop.

(Joke!)

Are we making list? Ok then.

Top Five Madonna Albums:

01. Ray of Light
02. Confessions...
03. Music
04. Erotica
05. American Life

D

debord

It would be nigh on impossible for me to do a ranking. All I could say for certain is that ‘I’m Breathless’ is bottom and the two I would most frequently place at number one would be ‘Like A Prayer’ and ‘Music’.

I actually think the fact that there is a whole generation out there who are unfamiliar with her early work explains some of the unjustified criticism that ‘Hard Candy’ got, as they think she has always done the electronic dance music that she’s done in recent years and don’t realise she actually started out with an r&b sound

V

vasilios

I'm Breathless is certainly in my bottom too. Haha that sounded rude!

I also had to endure a whole summer of people coming up to me, after having bought I'm Breathless expecting more like Vogue, and making me apologize for it's contents, 'but it's from a 50's (?) movie' didn't help much.

My Madonna Top 4

1. Ray Of Light
2. Like A Prayer
3. Bedtime Stories
4. Erotica

It was this period (basically the tail end of the 80s to the tail end of the 90s where Madonna was at her absolute best. I've lost track of how many times i've gone back and listened to these four albums - they are amazing

V

vasilios

SEE?

Dick Tracy and Evita were my two low Madonna periods, while both had their moments, it was essentially being forced to like a persona that wasn't Madonna. 4 ICON issues with Evita covers!!??!

My fave Madonna periods:

Virgin Era, True Blue Era, Who's That Girl Era*, Girlie Show Era, Ray Of Light Era, Music Era, Confessions Tour Era.

*when I really stepped up the Being An M Fan game!

D

Deleted member 2720

Feltano said:
My Madonna Top 4

1. Ray Of Light
2. Like A Prayer

I spent most of the 80's having a strong dislike for Madonna and her music. I could never understand why Madonna was so big and Cyndi Lauper did not have the same level of success. Anyway it was when 'Like A prayer' came out that my dislike became less.

For me the ultimate Madonna album is 'Ray Of light'.... Frozen, The Power of Goodbye etc were just superb single choices.

I too liked 'American Life as a single. The Felix Da Housecat Devin Dazzle club Mix is my favourite mix.

D

debord

I loved ‘Evita’ at the time – mainly because after a few years of a major Madonna backlash it was refreshing to hear people being positive about her. Plus I’m a big gay and a sucker for musicals. With hindsight though I can see that with that and the ballads album she was veering dangerously close to Celine territory, so thank God for ‘Ray of Light’.

V

vasilios

Close? They even publicised Celine being a lost Madonna Fmily Tree relative!
Celine was selling 1.000 cds a minute then so it was understandable to push a direction-less Madonna down that route until she found a pop vision again.

I remember seeing Evita in a cinema with 150 people and us 4 being the only ones left by the first break and 2 of us were sleeping!

D

debord

Well that’s bizarre – I saw it twice in packed cinemas. I remember my entire family went on Boxing Day and I was thrilled because afterwards my Dad said, ‘she’s a talented woman, that Madonna’, which was the first acknowledgment he’d ever given of my liking her. Haha.

I can see the Celine thing but I remember reading at the time that the ‘Something To Remember’ album was mainly intended to pave the way to ‘Evita’ and soften up her image.

One of the Madonna albums i have the strongest connection with is Bedtime Stories because initially i really wasn't keen on it at all, but gradually, one song at a time it grew and grew on me and now i absolutely love it.

The title track, both the song and it's video is absolutely terrifying, sends shivers down my spine every time - it's an amazing song and an interesting fore-runner to the Ray Of Light album

Human Nature is wonderful, just for it's outrageous, almost comedic levels of attitude.

Don't Stop is wonderfully summery and upbeat, one of the few moments in what is actually a very melancholy, grim album.

Survival and Secret makes for a brilliant 1, 2 intro to the album - if only Madonna could have recaptured the R&B sound here when she did Hard Candy.

And well... Take A Bow - one of her best ballads ever

D

debord

‘Rain’ is gorgeous – tho I prefer the album version far more than the single one. The Girlie Show version with ‘Just My Imagination’ and ‘Singin’ In The Rain’ was brilliant too.