Madonna

First time I’ve ever seen the 30 min piece ‘Madonna Confessions on a Promo Tour 2005’ and I swear it’s the most humble I’ve ever seen her- plus I think it’s the most sound checks she’s ever allowed someone to film her doing, just her singing.

Not Lola channeling her mother in frozen for her new single. I mean it looks really like the cheap version of the original! Still this is very sweet

I read some of his feed (and subscribed, he's a great writer and stans Janet and Whitney) but I think he's more of a house purist than unappreciative of Madonna, in fact I think he deeply respects her. He mentions a lot of references as to what he considers "real" house and even though I'm not familiar with them, at least he backed up his opinion. He never said Madonna is a culture vulture or anything, in fact her gave her her flowers for being subversive in the conservative Reagan 80s and foregrounding black and brown talent. And let's face it, Vogue is a pop record.

Last edited:
I read some of his feed (and subscribed, he's a great writer and stans Janet and Whitney) but I think he's more of a house purist than unappreciative of Madonna, in fact I think he deeply respects her. He mentions a lot of references as to what he considers "real" house and even though I'm not familiar with them, at least he backed up his opinion. He never said Madonna is a culture vulture or anything, in fact her gave her her flowers for being subversive in the conservative Reagan 80s and foregrounding black and brown talent. And let's face it, Vogue is a pop record.

I would agree, esp the house purist part.

I love late '80s/early '90s house, but in truth I'm probably more of a fan of 'house music that sounds like pop music'/'pop music that sounds like house music', i.e. the best pop crossover ever.

I really want to read A Rebel Life. I read my last Madonna biography probably like 15 years ago but this seems really worth it. Well researched and in depth.

he/him
Yeah, honestly, as someone who also has a deep reverence for pop and house music, I can see his point. Part of what makes Vogue and Madonna herself so great is the seamless synthesizing of the two, as he points out.

Just finished reading this new Atlantic article on her, nothing particularly new but the last paragraph stood out to me -

But Madonna has never seemed to think of herself as a sex object. An objectifier who greedily prioritizes her own pleasure, yes; an alpha, absolutely; but never a sop to someone else’s fantasy. And the AI-esque strangeness of her appearance now suggests something else, too. I keep thinking about bell hooks’s argument, in a 1992 essay, that Madonna “deconstructs the myth of ‘natural’ white girl beauty” by exposing how artificial it is, how unnatural. She bends every effort, hooks notes, to embody an aesthetic that she herself is simultaneously satirizing. One might deduce that Madonna senses better than anyone where female beauty standards are heading, in an era of Facetune, Ozempic, livestreamed TikTok surgeries, and Instagram face. And that she knows what she’s doing: Her current mode of self-presentation is Madonna supplying yet another dose of what the media want from women—sexiness, youth, erasure of maturity—distorted just enough to make us flinch.

https://archive.ph/FWG62#selection-1237.0-732.44