Mandy Moore Discography Rate - #32: In which we lose a song from 2007 ("The wheel goes round...") | Page 39 | The Popjustice Forum

Mandy Moore Discography Rate - #32: In which we lose a song from 2007 ("The wheel goes round...")

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by pop3blow2, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What's your favorite Mandy Moore album

1. So Real

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. I Wanne Be With You

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. Mandy Moore

17 vote(s)
    40.5%
  4. Coverage

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Wild Hope

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  6. Amanda Leigh

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  7. Other (soundtrack, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Split Chick is by far the worst track from self-titled.

God knows how it lasted this long.

2. Me (as Spongebob singing joyously):
    "Every flower has to find a way to reach up to the sun
    Even through the cracks in the sidewalk!!!"

You (as Squidward)
    "Whatever... sure."

[​IMG]

vague and Music Is Life like this.
  3. Ok the Mandy Moore album, aka her magnum opus, is getting done dirty here now.
    "Split Chick" is flawless.
    "Turn the Clock Around" is flawless.
    I'm not sure what's still in from the other albums but I hope we're not touching the self-titled again until the Top 10.

4. I updated the main the rate countdown on page 1.

Probably should mention that all the soundtrack songs & extras are gone now, except the three from A Walk To Remember... which is what I expected.

That my little random 'Hey' website demo made it #4 in that category of the rate. Well...

[​IMG]

berserkboi, vague and Music Is Life like this.
  5. Just a couple things:
    1.) Make History was not featured in either Camp Rock film or soundtrack.
    2.) Get excited cause the Nelly rate is happening, and will be hosted by @nikkysan.
    EDIT: Also, Trynna Finda Way is kind of amazing?
    EDIT2: So is Halo Circus's "Oh Money!" I really need to check out their music, y'all know I stan Allison's debut. Oh and Split Chick is gone too soon. Glad you agree with me @pop3blow2 about how it should be the closer.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 5:28 PM
    vague and pop3blow2 like this.
  6. Yeah, I didn't think so. I know some about Camp Rock, but didn't see it on any of the official soundtracks... so I was confused. I hadn't seen those movies in ages, though, so I thought maybe I just forgot it was in there somewhere. Upon looking more into, 'Make History' was performed on the The Camp Rock tour, but not in any of the movies, etc. It was driving me nuts, dddd. I need to add that detail to the write-up.

vague and Music Is Life like this.
  7. It's okay haha. I just read that and was so confused cause you know, Camp Rock is my shit so I was already 90% sure it was technically incorrect info, but I checked the soundtracks anyway just in case. It did lead me to listen to the song for the first time and bop so thank you.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  8. Have we discussed that she's releasing her new song (presumably from the new album) next Tuesday?

berserkboi, vague and pop3blow2 like this.
  9. Whoa! Really? I haven't seen her mention that. I just follow her on Twitter, though. Do you have any other info or derails?

berserkboi, vague and Robsolete like this.
  10. Just this tweet so far, but hopefully she'll announce it soon:

11. Derails. This makes me chuckle.

Oooh, that's awesome. Thanks.

berserkboi, vague and Robsolete like this.
  12. [​IMG]

"Most Of Me" | 7.903

Rated 32nd out of 84 total songs

Rated 8th out of 12 from Wild Hope

Chart info or stats:

The 33rd most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm

The 7th most scrobbled song from Wild Hope on Last.fm

Liner Notes

Written by: Mandy Moore & Lori McKenna
    Produced by: John Alagia

Track 4 on Wild Hope released June 19, 2007

"My own parade…"

“You should know my story by now
    And why I'm optimistic cautiously”

As long as my dissertation on Mandy’s inherent duality was a couple weeks back, it could’ve been longer. I tried to limit myself, mainly so I didn’t wake up to some PM’s from you all that were basically like, ‘We get it. We get it.'

Another reason I cut it off, before I completely rambled off the rails, was like we really hadn’t even got into the bulk of the songs where that idea really shines... so I knew I'd had some more opportunities to dive into the topic.

We’re in it now.

“Feel like I know where this is going
    And I might know how it ends
    But I'm still
    Willing to begin”

The lyrics & message to ‘Most Of Me’ tie so well in those push/pull dynamics Mandy seems to constantly be drawn to in her career.

Lyrically, it wouldn’t even be insane to view some of the concepts in ’Most Of Me’ as a more mature take on the very ‘Split Chick’ sensibilities in the song we just eliminated. Both songs really deal with the expectations another person has of you in a relationship and what you’re actually possible to give. Taking that into account, it seems fitting those two songs left back-to-back in the rate. That’s where that train of thought ends.

The narrative to 'Most Of Me' is certainly a denser song & the lyrics are some of the best on the album. Mandy labels herself as damaged goods several times on Wild Hope, and I won’t lie, it’s kinda heartbreaking to listen to... because she really believes it. You just kinda want to give her a hug.

“You're just crossing paths
    With the way he left me
    I'm not sayin' a word
    I'm watching you quietly
    'Cause you're going to have to
    Prove me wrong
    Before I know this is right”

This verse is so relatable. I’m sure so many people have been in that position where you have a relationship fail & you quite possibly start the next one too soon. Sometimes you’re still sort of a mess & now that new person, is getting the mess.

I think a lot the feelings in 'Most Of Me' could even be symbolic of the Wild Hope project as a whole. Mandy came to the project a bit beaten down & rejected by the industry. A commercial failure. With renewed vigor, she reached out & formed new collaborations, relationships, & forged a new duration. What came out was the purest incarnation of Mandy we had gotten yet.

“Oh, I won't hold anything back
    No, and I won't hold anything in”

Sonically, I love plucky guitar strumming the main track is built upon. It’s just a folky/country sonic I’m a sucker for. Actually, it awakes reminded me of one of my favorite Rosanne Cash songs: 'The Wheel' (embedded below).

The unexpected sound this song gives me is the programming for the percussion. On an album that uses mainly organic instruments (this is the only song with drum programming), it’s a little thing done here with artistic purpose to me. It both calls back to a piece of Mandy’s pop past while confronting the real drums being played on the track as it pushes forward. It’s a little production thing that adds a bit of aniexty to the track. It’s pretty brilliant. One of the best moments in her whole discography of ‘old Mandy’ transforming into ’new Mandy’. (‘Do you still love most of me’… Gawd, this woman's mind.)

In an album built around the concept of collaboration, this is my favorite of the Mandy/Lori McKenna songs, which says something. Their collabs bore many a great songs on Wild Hope & Amanda Leigh, but their connection here was dialed into a whole other level. I also love that Dan Wilson (of Semisonic & Dixie Chicks/Adele songwriting fame) comes back to this song to sing background. He did some work with Mandy on Coverage and to me, this is just another ingredient in this song where she has hand picked specific people, sounds, & ideas to be part of the final portrait on one of her album's signature songs.

“It was worth it to see most of me
    Oh, do you love most of me?”

....Yes.

Yes I do.

My Score: 10

"Kicking up confetti leaves…"

Sparkle In The Sky

@Robsolete (10) - (I'm sorry. I'm right there with you!)

@ladylloyd (10)

@Sprockrooster (9)

@Music Is Life (9)
    I really, really loved her voice and the lyrics on this, but the production holds it back a bit, because I doesn't really do anything but is still gorgeous.

@unnameable (8)
    Think of how many songs use the words “All of me”? This song is brutal in its honesty, approaching the way her relationship mostly works but they need to wait to see how it develops.

@Zar-Unity (8)
    This song sounds more like a cover song you'd hear on her last album. But this song is all hers and it's beautiful. Once again this is another song with some very personal lyrics about her past relationships and how Mandy has grown and matured from it. I remember my Dad liking this song and he wasn't really into her music that much. I've always thought that was interesting. This is a very well crafted song that could fit being played on the radio, despite how involved the lyrics are. Not one of my favorites on Wild hope so my score will be a bit lower for this one. But Most of me earns a solid 8 just because of how well the song is performed.

@Robert (8), @vague (8.75), @RUNAWAY (9.5)

Corner of your eye

@ohnostalgia (7.5)
    About a minute thirty too long

@LKane (6)
    a bit boring… sorry. I’m trying to be nice with my rates in this album.

@chris4862 (7), @florenica. (7.5), @Remorque (7)

Still Undiscovered

@VivaForever (5)
    Unobjectionable but 0% memorable.

@tylerc904 (5.5)

For Your Viewing & Listening Pleasure

A Random 'Most Of Me' Inspired Mini-Playlist!

Roseanne Cash: The Wheel (I'd be up for some 80s/90s country themed rates!)

Lori McKenna: People Get Old

Sticking with the country theme here- Dixie Chicks: Not Ready To Make Nice
    (co-written with Dan Wilson who sings back up on Most Of Me)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 6:42 AM
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.