Mandy Moore Discography Rate - #77 : In which we lose a song from 2009. | Page 20 | The Popjustice Forum

Mandy Moore Discography Rate - #77 : In which we lose a song from 2009.

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by pop3blow2, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What's your favorite Mandy Moore album

1. So Real

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. I Wanne Be With You

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. Mandy Moore

15 vote(s)
    38.5%
  4. Coverage

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. Wild Hope

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  6. Amanda Leigh

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. Other (soundtrack, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Don't ever forget "Siempre hay milagros"

I used to love m2m!

unnameable and pop3blow2 like this.
  2. I loved M2M & adore Marit Larsen to the moon & back!

One of the rate ideas I sketched out for the future was a versus rate with:

- 1/3 M2M songs
    - 1/3 Marit Larsen songs
    - 1/3 Marion Raven songs

The ultimate M2M experience...

Ideally it would be 33 songs for each artist: 99 songs total ...since they sorta broke through in '99. (You see my numerology hangups are real.)

I know it would be a NICHE RATE (all capitals!), but it's one of the ones I'd love to do at some point.

On a side note, I love synchronicity. I was listening to Mandy the other day & it put me in the mood for M2M (Mandy's early music & M2M are linked together in my brain), so I went to Spotify. I saw they actually had a new 'acoustic collection' come out last month. It was so random, but made me happy.

I looked for a M2M thread on PJ to share my joy, but didn't see one. So, I'll just share it here.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  3. Omg! Please do it! I love Marit Larsen so much, she's perfect. Thanks for sharing that acoustic EP!
    All that music from early 2000s is my joy. Including Mandy, M2M, Michelle Branch, even Belle Perez or ATeens. They all were touring in festivals and stuff at the time.

RUNAWAY, Zar-Unity and pop3blow2 like this.
  4. You're welcome!

It's nice to know at least one person is interested in that rate idea, haha! I know @Zar-Unity loves Marit too & Marion was part of another rate at one point, so maybe a bit of interest could be drummed up on here. I'll put some more thought into into it, after the Mandy rate completes. I have like 10 rate ideas, so maybe I'll bump that one up a few notches.

I don't even think M2M has a comeback corner thread on here & Marit love is sparse. So, I guess some recon to remedy that would help plant some more seeds.

vague, LKane, RUNAWAY and 1 other person like this.
  5. Marit and Marion’s solo music is EVERYTHING to me. I’m so here for this rate if it happens.

vague, pop3blow2 and LKane like this.
  6. You can totally count me in for anything Marit Larsen related here on this forum! Indeed Marit Larsen love is sparse. We need to fix that! I also need to listen to Marit's other albums.

Wow, Mandy's self-titled once held the most votes but now Wild hope has come out on top! I also really appreciate the new added vote for So real! Let's go!

pop3blow2 and LKane like this.
  7. I’d be here for an M2M rate. Marit and Marion, not so much.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  8. Indeed, the Spanish version of the album was better than the English! “As If” is the only one that I think is definitively better in English, though “25 Hours a Day” has a slight edge over its Spanish equivalent.

LKane likes this.
  9. I'm not gonna lie, the Mandy rate temporally turning into an M2M & Marit lovefest is unexpected, but iconic.

It's also nice randomly getting some unexpected feedback about a potential rate idea. Glad @VivaForever mentioned them. This rate is like a wonderful millennium-era time-warp sometimes. All this talk about Princess Diaries, M2M, Radio Disney, & more....

[​IMG]

10. Don't say you love me
    You don't even know me, baby-ee-eeee...

Baby, don't say you love me
    Baby, baby
    (If you really want me then give me some time)
    GIVE ME SOME TIIIIIIIME!

*KEY CHANGE*

A moment.

Music Is Life, pop3blow2 and RUNAWAY like this.
  11. RUNAWAY and pop3blow2 like this.
  12. Self-titled is still winning. (I'd be shocked if it didn't win the poll, actually.)

So Real is closing on my dearly beloved Coverage, though...
    that's, ummmm, something.

giphy-1.gif

Also, the little album that could, I Wanna Be With You, hung in there & finally got a vote. I'll likely keep the poll open until the #1 is unveiled, so stragglers who discover the awesomeness of this rate can at least vote for their fave Mandy album.

Awe thanks @ohnostalgia! Hope you had a nice break! Yeah, we had a Brill Building CD Box Set in my house in youth. I must've played that thing to death during one of my oldies spells. My dad was always happy when I investigated his generation's music. I usually had less success getting him into my generation's, ha!

Lila, Music Is Life, vague and 4 others like this.
  13. Lila, vague, pop3blow2 and 1 other person like this.
  14. I finally decided on what to vote for after the little discussion of I Wanna Be With You the other day. I consider it a full album, and even as a mini album it had my highest average in this rate, so it only seems right. All of the songs on it are amazing. It also didn’t feel right for it to have no votes at all!

pop3blow2 and Sprockrooster like this.
  15. That book was written by Bob Stanley of Saint Etienne! Quite cool! I've never read it but
    I've heard it was really good.

ps, I've spoke too soon, as Mandy's self-titled is now back in the lead.

pop3blow2 and ohnostalgia like this.
  16. [​IMG]

"On The Line" | 6.028

Rated 80th out of 84 total songs

Rated 17th out of 21 soundtracks & extras

Chart info or stats:

The soundtrack peaked at #35 on the Billboard chart (US), but I am unsure of any chart performance of this song.

Liner Notes

Written by Steve Hamm, Paul Diamond & Mark Hammond.

Mandy was one part of this temporary teen pop supergroup On The Line All-Stars which included: Joey Fatone, Lance Bass, Christian Burns (of BBMak) and True Vibe. The group performed this one song for the film On The Line & was included on the soundtrack of the film by the name.

While, there's a music video for the song, but I'm not sure if the song ever had a proper single. (as I can't find any chart performance records.) The video may have just been an elaborate promo for the film & soundtrack.

"My own parade…"

The other day I had small typo & said the next elimination would be surprising. I forgot the key word of not in that sentence. Oops. This song was always near the bottom, but also surprisingly pretty much always over a 6 average... which is how it ends up here. Our first song over a 6 average, but our last song in the 80's. ON. THE. LINE.

Continuing my use of this over-the-top wordplay, 'On The Line' was
    on the line of whether or not I should even include it in Mandy's discography rate. I decided it was a quirkily relevant enough feature in her discog to warrant inclusion, so here we are. As a lover of millennial pop, this song just screams 2001 & it's so early Mandy & her scene at the time in so many ways.

In the last couple of the days, this thread devolved into a bit of early 00's millennial pop nostalgia with Myra & M2M popping up in our discussion. Another one of those early 00's groups I was pretty fond of was BBMak. In fact, I really wasn't a big fan of 'boy bands', in general, but really liked BBMak. I like that they randomly pop up in this song (well, one of the members.) In fact, the whole song & video (and even associated movie) is a time capsule of early 00's curiosity. The soundtrack is almost a PJ00's potentials list from concentrate!

The whole project does illustrate something interesting about late 2001. Just how huge teen pop was. It was so huge that Lance Bass & Joey Fatone were given $16 Million dollars to go make a movie catering to teen audience. The studio had enough faith in the *NSync army, that they felt they'd get their money back. Whew, what a time. Ultimately the movie was heavily panned by critics & flopped pretty bad (bringing in less than $5 million).

The ensuing soundtrack was slightly more interesting, but still feels like a lot of B-sides & leftovers from a handful of big names (Britney, Vitamin C, *NSync) mixed with some shoehorned attempts by the labels to promote some 'up & coming acts'. The soundtrack hung around a bit longer in the public's sphere than the movie, but not by much. The whole On The Line project (movie, soundtrack , & supergroup ) is an interesting moment of 00's ephemera, before the teen pop bubble burst.

Where does Mandy fit into all this. That's a good question. The actual song 'On The Line' isn't actually terrible. If it was a Mandy only song on self titled, I'd probably thow it an extra point. Mandy's solo bit in the song is nice & the song overall does highlight her voice as a harmony vocalist with other lead singers ...which isn't something we get a lot of in her career. It actually showcases her as a pretty good harmony singer, in that regard.

That said, Mandy feels a bit thrown into a weird boyband, here. I think they were going for S Club 7 vibe, but it never really comes together. In the end, the song symbolizes a bit of Mandy's whole journey around the period, of finding where she fits in musically. This wasn't it.

My Score: 6

"Kicking up confetti leaves…"

Sparkle In The Sky
    @tylerc904 (10) : I am a big BBMak fan (even now, yes) and their voices sound SO good with Mandy’s. This whole soundtrack slaps and I have intense nostalgia for it, but the 10 is still deserved. (BBMak fans, represent. Love a lot of their songs, but 'The Ghost Of You & Me'.... whew.)

@VivaForever (8) : Cackling at the idea of True Vibe and one of them out of BBMak being deemed relevant enough to collaborate with Mandy and 40% of *NSync. Also at Lance Bass playing a hettie male romantic lead. I’ve never even heard of this till now, but it’s very cute. Plus, KEY CHANGE! (Love your commentary. Also, look at you losing three songs in row here where you were a high scorer. Echoes of Belinda permeate...)

@Music Is Life (8.5) : Fun, but needs more Mandy. ('Needs more Mandy', is the 'needs more cowbell' of this round.)

@Remorque (9) (I need thoughts from @Remorque on this!)

Corner of your eye
    @unnameable (7.5): musically nothing amazing, the video is the most amazingly early 00s thing I’ve ever seen. In fact, the music sounds like a pastiche of the time, as if Du Jour had been given a song with Josie as their guest vocalist. (This is perfect commentary. Belongs in Louvre... down the back, but still the Louvre.)

@Robert (7) , @Robsolete (7), @vague (7.75) (...so close to a sparkle! ) , @RUNAWAY (7.5)

Still Undiscovered
    @Sprockrooster (2): I hate her label. (It all does reek a bit of label obligations.)

@chris4862 (6): Would be better solo. (A full point+ for me!)

@Zar-Unity (5.5): What the heck!? I didn't know that Mandy did a song with a boy band. Sadly you can barely even hear Mandy in the song. I'm getting K-Otic. Sita vibes from this. (Not just a boy bad... On The Line All Stars. Ha!)

@ohnostalgia (4.5): Cute but not enough Mandy. (Maybe when the reunion happens & the full-length drops.)

@LKane (5): This is like a song full of people nobody cared about… That’s terrible for Mandy. Why it was included in this rate
    (Ummm, 'people nobody cared about!?'. 1/3 of BBMak was included so... ummmm )

@ladylloyd (5), @Florencia. (2), @CasuallyCrazed (.25)

For Your Viewing & Listening Pleasure

I got nothing else for this song other than the video, so....

Here's a bit of Du Jour (for @unnameable )

& a bit of K-Otic (for @Zar-Unity )

and finally, a bit of BBMak for @tylerc904 & me. This song is a tune!

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  17. I'd never heard it before, but I really quite liked it. Obviously would have been better as a solo though.

vague, Robert, LKane and 1 other person like this.
  18. That K-Otic song really isn't that bad, but it needs more Sita. I love the line
    "needs more Mandy"! I'm gonna start saying that on any eliminations that
    are obviously lacking powerful Mandy vocals and huge charm. (there are a few)

Robert and pop3blow2 like this.
  19. HOW has this gone out now when there is still some true shitcrap to get rid of?
    [​IMG]

Had a good laugh at the DuJour reference as I finally, after all these years, got around to watching the Josie and the Pussycats movie last weekend. It was cute. Rosario Dawson was, of course, the best thing about it. Breckin Meyer and Seth Green as half of DuJour, though... a choice.

And if you're going to reference BBMak, you have to link to Back Here. It's just like the rules of feminism.

Whatta tune. Radio Disney Jams Vol. 3 with this, the A*Teens' Mamma Mia, Myra's Dancing in the Street, M2M's Don't Say You Love Me, Tiktak's Upside Down... But wow, what a moment. Basically the official @VivaForever/@tylerc904/@iheartpoptarts soundtrack.

In other news, have just realized that Tiktak's lead singer looked like a teenage Belinda and their guitarist looked like a teenage Björk. Sláy, sisters.

20. I don't know who BBMark is :(

berserkboi and iheartpoptarts like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.