Mandy Moore Discography Rate - #77 : In which we lose a song from 2009. | Page 21 | The Popjustice Forum

Mandy Moore Discography Rate - #77 : In which we lose a song from 2009.

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by pop3blow2, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What's your favorite Mandy Moore album

1. So Real

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. I Wanne Be With You

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. Mandy Moore

15 vote(s)
    38.5%
  4. Coverage

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. Wild Hope

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  6. Amanda Leigh

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. Other (soundtrack, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Scream, I have never seen this. Miss Vitamin C appearing for a total of one second, what a queen. Why isn't she featured on the song tho? Too much talent I guess. The one from BBMak is the kind of thing early 2000's Tyler would drool over.

berserkboi, vague and pop3blow2 like this.
  2. On the Line isn’t amazing, but it’s a pretty decent song. I like that Mandy is the only female on the track as it highlights her voice even more. I think it should have stayed in a little longer.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  3. They were a fairly popular (at least in the US) boy band trio in the early 00's. The song @VivaForever included above 'Back Here' was their biggest hit. It actually peaked at #1 on the US Adult Contemporary chart. I was working in a US based department store (Kohl's) at the time & they played it and/or 'The Ghost Of You & Me' every day on the in store radio. That made me happy. (As you will learn about me, I have a soft spot for a lot of middle of the road department store sounding pop.)

To make me like BBMak even more, them & M2M were promoted all over Walt Disney World during the Millennium Celebration (this video is everything) when I was there in 2000 (since they were both on Hollwood records, Disney's record label. Corporate synergy, y'know!) So yeah, them being British to boot (thus feeding my anglophile heart) made me take to them more than the other boy groups of the era.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  4. Early 00s Radio Disney is LIFE.

pop3blow2 and berserkboi like this.
  5. This is so true.

I used to 'joke' in the early 00s my dream job would be being a Radio Disney DJ. I realize now that I'm older that I wasn't really joking.

vague, iheartpoptarts and VivaForever like this.
  6. I'll be the music director, good times.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  7. I actually met one of the old Radio Disney DJs, Kara Edwards (of "Squeege and Kara" "fame"), a couple weekends ago at an anime con. She's now an anime and video game voice actor.

berserkboi and pop3blow2 like this.
  8. So far we've lost 5 songs (FYI, I have a running scoreboard on page 1 of the rate). They've all been sorta fringe soundtrack songs. I imagine they were expected to leave quickly, as such things have proceeded fairly drama free with the rate.

This is Popjustice, though. So, the other shoe has to fall eventually.

It does at #79.

Not only will we be losing our first song from an album.... & it is someone's 11. Sorry, that's rough.

[​IMG]

Just some tea about the 11's in this rate. In true Mandy fashion (the Patron Saint of Pop Randomness), we had 18 total voters, but 15 different songs get an 11. That actually not only surprised me, but brought me such joy it alone made the rate worth it to me. Not that I needed any validation about how talented she is, but it proved to me how deep her catalogue really is. Having a group of people who I trust opinions from offer such a diverse group of 11's was... well, lets just say I giggled while filling out the spreadsheet. (A bit more tea is that every album had at least one 11... as did the Soundtrack category. #talent).

That said, when I warn of losing 11's before a post the next month or two, only a few of you can probably rest easy 'til we get a bit further along.

The #79 post will be up in the next day or two. So, be prepared...

Florencia., vague, berserkboi and 2 others like this.
  9. I’m very fearful for my 11!

10. Whoa. That's gotta be a record.

vague likes this.
  11. I was gonna ask if there was some sort of precedent for that? It seemed like a possible special occurrence to me, but my knowledge of rate history here is limited compared to so many of you.

Mandy Moore: Wreaking havoc on the charts since 1999!

vague, berserkboi and Robert like this.
  12. Since I had been listening to Mandy's version of this song a lot lately, it seems a fitting moment to play Doris' version now & here. Obviously I'll have lots more to say about this song later in the rate, but since Doris Day passed away today, I wanted to give it some due now.

vague, unnameable, Lila and 3 others like this.
  13. [​IMG]

"Your Face" | 6.425

Rated 79th out of 84 total songs

Rated 16th out of 16 for So Real/I Wanna Be With You

Chart info or stats:

The 84th most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm

Liner Notes

Written by David Rice & Mark Stevens
    Produced by: Nick Trevisick & David Rice

Recorded for Mandy's second album I Wanna Be With You. Released May 9, 2000.

The song was track 11 on the US Version & track 13 (the closer) on European versions of the album.

"My own parade…"
    Well, we enter the 70’s by losing our first song from an album & our first 11. (sorry @Robert. Your fear was founded.) There were several moments when reviewing the final results that were, lets just say… double-take inducing. This was one.

Ballads are tough sometimes. One person’s beautiful & touching is an another’s boring & overwrought. The scores here seem to weigh out that theory. For me, I pretty much always loved this song. It was a complete throwback to some Mariah-esque moments of the early/mid 90’s (when I was obsessed with her). I’d even venture to say I like the lyrics here more than some of those songs by her. Specifically this verse:

Headlights break through the rain
    Over London’s winter nights
    I came all the way here tonight
    To look in your eyes
    I came all the way here tonight just to see you

Granted I’m sucker for lyrics about London, but still.

The production of the song is what gets me though. It was produced by David Rice & Nick Trevisick (who has had a prolific 40+ year career working with everyone from Pat Bentar & The Kinks to the likes of Natalie Imbruglia, Rachel Lampa, & India. Arie. He also pops back up later on Mandy's self-titled album... Diverse!)

Anyways, I digress, I just really love the organic orchestral flourishes in the song. The actual track is stunning, coming off a bit modern-baroque pop in places. In fact this production might be a bit ‘too serious sounding’ in comparison to some other Mandy productions around the time… to the point that it was a bit jarring the first time I heard it. Even the song ‘I Wanna Be With You’, while more mature & 'orchestral' than other So Real fare, had the pop sensibilities & AC friendly production of the day. The maturity of the lyric + properness of the instrumentation of ‘Your Face’ …mixed with knowing Mandy’s age made me take a step back, initially. Here’s the thing though, I pretty much immediately decided she sells it. It was one of those Mandy-moments where, as a fairly new fan, she was winning me over & I was appreciating her glorious randomness.

One of my favorite Mandy vocals of all-time is ‘Secret Love’ & this song is one of a couple early songs in her discog that feel like a trial run of that & some other more technical places she would venture into with her voice & musically in the coming years. (I even hear a bit of Tangled in this song.) Mere months before the release of 'Your Face' she had been trying to sell me ‘Candy’ & now she dropping something that sounded like a lost 40’s pop standard or Broadway song. The audacity of a 15 year old bubblegum pop princess trying to drop her own take on a standard was a moment to me & made her more endearing. While her voice does get a bit out of its comfort zone in places here, she somehow pulls it all off. She was a self declared theater geek in many early interviews with her & to me, this is the first taste we get of that from her.

Ultimately, being on the album I Wanna Be With You, both helps & hurts this song. On one hand you could argue it stands out against many of the songs there. There is nothing really like this song on the album. Even on self-titled, a year later, a couple of songs would venture into more mature fare (sonically & lyrically), but none really went full on orchestra like the sonics in this song. So, it’s special in her early discog in that regard.

On the other hand, in the US this song was buried into an album, that as we’ve discussed, was a bit of a mess. On the US 'special edition' of I Wanna Be With You, all the other 'new songs' were at the beginning of the record. 'Your Face' was a orchestra laden baroque tinged ballad randomly shoved between two remixes. (Mess.)

As @Robert, our 11 point giver pointed out the other day, on the UK version ‘Your Face’ was the final song in what is a much better overall album tracklisting. The song always felt like an album closer to me, even a bit of sonic echo of 'I Wanna Be With You’. The songs sound really good when played back-to-back. Learning that 'Your Face' was actually an album closer in certain markets made me at least take note that maybe Epic hadn't lost the plot
    completely with the album (just mostly.) I was ecstatic this got an 11 & knowing it got that score from someone who got to experience the song in its proper glory, as an album closer, makes me even happier. It really is a beautiful song, that on the right day I’d give as high as 8.8 or 8.9. (not sure if it would ever cross that 9 threshold for me, though.)

I know this is of little solace to @Robert, but the average between #80 & #79 is the largest between in any two songs in the rate (.397), so mathematically it was more in line with the next wave of eliminations than the first 5 songs out.

My Score: 8.5

"Kicking up confetti leaves…"

Sparkle In The Sky

@Robert (11): (I'm gonna need some thoughts from you in the discussion! I really like this song, but never dreamed in a million years this song would get an 11 in the rate. It did make me happy though, so I'd love to know how you got there with it.)

@Sprockrooster (10): Such a dramatic epos done vocally so amazing. Phew, the talent. (Her voice is really is something. She wasn't yet 16 when she recorded it. MY GAWD.)

@Zar-Unity (9.2): So pretty with the flute coming in, as is Mandy's dreamy voice. I like how this pop ballad sounds more mature for her and how it is more tranquil and atmospheric. This actually makes her standout more on this pop ballad than on want you back, because it is a refreshing change of pace that we hadn't got from Mandy yet up until this point. She sounds pretty amazing vocally here and I love the slow build up to her voice singing with such delicate passion.
    (Some spot on commentary here. Also, you're the only who gave props to the flute in the song. I mean, John Yoakum plays the flute & oboe on this song & deserves some love.)

@ladylloyd (10)

@Music Is Life (8.5) : This was cute, and the production is pretty. I like the drums. Great vocals from her as well. But I'm a tiny bit bored, although that might be because right now I'm in the mood to dance. (Fair enough. Luckily for you on the questionable US edition of I Wanna Be With You, 'Your Face' is sandwiched between two remixes... so dancing is just a track away!)

@Florencia. (8.5): Her most boring ballad so far. Cute, sweet, but boring even to my tastes. (Your score seems slightly high for this commentary, but I taking the score & running.)

Corner of your eye
    @unnameable (7): a little bit overblown for my tastes, but she sings it so sweetly. (It's a 'production', for sure.)

@chris4862 (6): Dianne Warren lite. (I actually like 'Your Face' more than Mandy's actual Diane Warren song, but we'll deal with that later.)

@vague (6), @RUNAWAY (5), @Remorque (6)

Still Undiscovered
    @ohnostalgia (3): I don't think so. (I want to ask you which part? But I'm pretty sure you'll tell me all of it. Haha!)

@VivaForever (4): Mandatory closing ballad. Snooze. Bye. (Mandatory or Mandy-tory... that is the question?)

@LKane (2.2): Alright, this must be Mandy’s worst song ever. (Well, I want to argue against this offensive opinion/statement...haha! That said, mathematically 'Your Face' is Mandy's lowest rated song from an album here, so I'm not sure I'd win the argument. To me, her worst song(s) are on So Real though.)

@tylerc904 (4), @Robsolete (5.5), @CasuallyCrazed (1.25)

For Your Viewing & Listening Pleasure

I got nothing else for this song other than the one YouTube video, so here's some other songs produced/co-written by the talented Nick Trevisick

Natalie Imbruglia: 'Impressed'

Bananarama: 'Come Back'

and finally, a song he wrote & produced for lost ( i.e. properly forgotten... the @Viva edit) early 00's girl group Aurora: 'Go On'

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 4:36 PM
  14. It's got a lovely vocal, but I'm honestly shook at that getting an 11 and a couple of 10s.

15. Amazing.
    "Lost girl group" makes them sound more exciting than they were. They were a shit Christian pop act trying to get in on the ZOEgirl/V*Enna/Raze craze. I had their first album at one point... the production was actually pretty good, but the vocals were terrifying. And I think we all know I have a low bar to clear for an acceptable vocal performance.

Anyway, I won't miss Your Face, but it still should have outlasted Quit Breaking My Heart. Yes I will keep hammering on it because it was my lowest score in the rate, god damn it.

vague and pop3blow2 like this.
  16. Scream...haha! I really don't know much about them. I knew they were part of the 'Inspirational Pop' scene in the early 00's. I think he was sort of mixed up in that scene, based on looking at other songs he wrote & produced. It was everywhere! I had a friend work in the Christian pop industry at the time, so they were always giving me promos & compilations. Partly because they knew I would listen to 'pop' anything & partly because I think they wanted to 'save me'. There were some Aurora songs on one. That's how I know about them at all. Anyways, I just like the production on that 'Go On', song. The lyrics though... well.

Mandy oddly (accidentally?) touches into/crosses paths the inspirational pop movement of the early 00's a few times in her early career... between A Walk To Remember & some of the producers/writers she works with. I might have more to say on that later, as I found it interesting at the time.

Last edited: May 14, 2019 at 7:11 PM
  17. #79. Damn. Initially I thought it might have gone top 30 at least, but after the warning yesterday I could feel it in my water that Your Face was going to be leaving before it should (in my opinion).

@pop3blow2 you’ve already done a much better job than I could speaking about the song. I agree that it could be quite polarising as proved by its early exit, but I was warmed to read some other voters rated it highly too.

Like you said, Your Face was the closing track on the copy of Mandy’s debut in the UK. It was the perfect way to end an all round fantastic album. I love the lyrics (OMG my favourite American pop star is singing about my home city of London), Mandy’s voice as well as the orchestral parts of the song. It’s one of those songs that I find quite soothing and could listen to on repeat for a while, especially when unwinding before bed (a bit like Viva Forever, one of my favourite songs). It’s delicate and vulnerable and I love how it builds throughout to a big ending.

When I was considering what to give my 11 to I did have to think about it. Should I give it to a classic single or my favourite album track. I thought this would need to most help (I didn’t realise it would need this much!).

On a slight sideline. I mentioned here before that I used to run a Mandy fan site. Well David Rice, one of the writers of Your Face emailed me another song that he did with Mandy, that she performed at a Christmas concert one year. Does anyone remember this? It was really nice of him to do that and especially nice for me since he wrote one of my favourite Mandy tracks!

18. @Robert : Thanks so much! That's a wonderful write-up. 'Your Face' was not a song I would've thought would get an 11, but I'll be honest there's 4 or 5 more surprise 11's coming down the pike. This song deserved a better placing, in my opinion. It's a Mandy top 50, for me... maybe top 40.

Yeah, I mentioned or linked to that Christmas song in one of 'Annual Posts' (2001). She sang it live at a big Christmas show that year. I don't think I knew or forgot there was that 'studio' version on the song. Do you know, was it ever released anywhere or just sang live? Or is that just a demo?

I'm glad you mentioned David Rice. I focused mainly on the other writer/producer in this write-up, because that's who I was more familiar with. I looked into David Rice some before this reveal & saw he has some music on Spotify. This included his version of 'Christmas For The Ones You Leave Behind'. I also made a discovery about another Mandy song he wrote when researching him. More on that in a future write-up!

It's so cool he reached out to you. I maybe visited your fan site back in the day, too. So glad you're taking part in the rate.

Last edited: May 14, 2019 at 7:39 PM
  19. Well, I looked back to 90's Pop Princess rate from last year & realized 'Your Face' was also the first Mandy song out there. *sigh*

It did score a whole point higher for the average, in our rate here though.

Anyways, I had some time tonight so I've started on the next elimination post... hope to have it up tomorrow.

While doing Mandy YouTube archaeology earlier this evening (a weekly past time of mine the last few months) I found this absurd 'unboxing' of Coverage...FROM LAST YEAR. What the actual...

It's literally just some guy randomly opening a cd & showing the liner notes... and then his kid starts screaming in the background. It's not even a new shrinkwrapped cd. I mean, is that really an unboxing... or just a 'showing'? I just can't, sometimes.

I just realized his whole channel is 'unboxing' videos of cds like this. WUT? The crazy thing is his 'unboxing' videos have more views that either song I just entered in the PJSC or PJRetro song contests. I'm going to bed. I'm done for today.

20. I don't get unboxing videos. I don't get YouTube culture.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.