Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!) | Page 12 | The Popjustice Forum

Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by pop3blow2, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What's your favorite Mandy Moore album

1. So Real

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I Wanne Be With You

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Mandy Moore

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  4. Coverage

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Wild Hope

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  6. Amanda Leigh

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Other (soundtrack, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. YES!

First off, I'm so happy to see some random Sarah Dessen love on here. I managed the children's lit/YA section at a couple of bookstores in the early 00's. So, yeah... I read several of Sarah's books there for a minute & quite like her.

It was always so odd to me that they chose to mash up two of her books for one movie. It made it so episodic feeling and yes, your word is perfect: disjointed. I get that there similar elements or feels to some of her books, but still. That said, I do find the movie charming, which says as much for some of the talent involved as anything to be honest. (It helps that in 2003, Mandy hung the moon as far as I was concerned, so I probably have some irrational bias to the film.)

I mean, like I mentioned in one of my write-ups, today if you wanted to mangle a bunch of Sarah Dessen books into 'one story', you could do a Netflix show or something. At least the stories & characters could be developed more over multiple episodes/seasons, than be so rushed in one movie. Maybe How To Deal was a tad ahead of the curve in that regard.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    Remorque, RUNAWAY, vague and 4 others like this.
  2. [​IMG]

"And time, it took me time
    But I have left those memories back and far behind"

The Mandy Moore Annual: 2005

2005 was a bit of a transition year for Mandy. Without a record deal for the first time in over 5 years & deciding to take a step back from titular starring vehicles (a bit by choice & perhaps a bit because she wasn't as in demand due to her recent history of flops), Mandy was oddly ‘free’ in a way. As such, she would begin to experiment even more than she had been.

Unsurprisingly, Mandy’s voice found the screen before anything else in 2005. She was part of the voice cast for the film Racing Stripes, a quirky & totally 00’s film about a zebra who wants to race with horses. Girl has to keep busy. (The random video I found, on IGN of all places, embedded below is actually a neat interview with her talking about this role. Oh, the internet.)

Her next ‘role’ would be something a bit more interesting & perhaps directional on her future course. Mandy would be cast on the hit HBO show Entourage, playing a version of herself within the show's fictional universe. (Again, girl is META MOORE, sometimes). In the plot of the show, Mandy apparently met Vince while on the set while filming a fictional version of Aquaman (where Mandy was Aquagirl; Jason Momoa & the DC universe found shook.) The recurring role on Entourage as Vince’s girlfriend, was actually a brilliant way to introduce herself & talent to a whole new viewership/audience. Again, she received pretty high marks from critics for her turn in the role.

Spring of 2005 also saw the official launch of Mblem, Mandy’s custom clothing line. Her obsession with vintage t-shirts & tops had inspired her to just start designing her own. Mblem launched with wholesale showrooms in New York, Atlanta, Los Angeles and Dallas and a press showroom in Los Angeles. You could of course order items online at Mblem.net… which I did dig up some links to on the Wayback Machine! Luckily I kept some of the magazines after all, as the Lucky from 2005 actually coincided with the launch of Mblem & featured some of the shirts. (Image below in the Magazine Mentions).

Mandy was also in a new ‘celebrity couple’ romance, as 2005 started. She was seen out & about with Zach Braff, star of the hit comedy Scrubs, of which they had recently met while she was filming a role for 2006. The two seemed to try a keep low profile, but of course the press still hounded them.

As fall rolled around, Mandy’s newest project seemed most promising all in 2005. Romance & Cigarettes John Turturro’s pseudo-musical, R-rated, romantic-comedy was a quirky film with an all-star cast (Including James Gandolfini, Susan Sarandon, & Kate Winslet.) The film debuted at the Venice film festival to some buzz, hight hopes, & early 'awards potential'. Sadly, it would then languish in distribution hell, due to company mergers & rights issues. It would eventually see release in some high profile foreign markets in 2006, but not be released in the US until 2007. By that time, interest & buzz had diminished & film was seen by a relative few.

It’s a shame. It’s an interesting film that with the right timing & buzz could’ve been special. The weird musical aspect of the film (which is mainly just the characters singing along to songs by original classic artists) was novel. Although, even John Turturro couldn’t help but want Mandy to sing… and we got a quirkily, self-referential cover of Bow Wow Wow’s ‘I Want Candy’ out of it. (as heard in the embedded trailer below)

A year with no new music from Mandy was weird, though. Would 2006 bring any news on that front?

Racing Stripes (January 2005)

Entourage S02E08 Vince has a date with Mandy Moore (April 2005)

Mblem Mention (Summer 2005)

Romance & Cigarettes Trailer (Fall 2005)

Mandy Magazine Mentions (from my archives!)

Sadly the only Mandy Magazine I have from 2005 is the aforementioned Lucky, where she was modeling her new clothing line Mblem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She did have this blurb on one of the panels, which made me smile, because... well, its me.

"If I could work a hoodie into every outfit, I would...."

Yes, queen. Yes.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Remorque, LKane, Zar-Unity and 8 others like this.
  3. This is literally me. I love her.

berserkboi and pop3blow2 like this.
  4. I saw "Music & Cigarettes" at the cinema. I was hoping Christopher Walken would pull out more "Weapon of Choice" moves, but it wasn't as good as I hoped for. Awesome cast though.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  5. I didn't get to see it until it came out on video in like 2007. I liked it & watched it a couple of times back then, but not in a long time. It did have quite the cast, though.

6. [​IMG]

Hello: @Music Is Life , @ohnostalgia , @vague , @Robert , @chris4862

10 Day Reminder from Mandy!

I've only received a few sets of votes so far, but 10 days is still a good ways a way... so I'm not panicking about flopping in my first rate (yet!)

Please remember to vote for dear Mandy by April 22.

If you really want to vote & think this date will be an issue (i.e. will need extra time), let me know so I can start to plan an extension accordingly. I'd really love to hit my goal of 20 voters, if possible.

Thanks so much & hope you've been enjoying the Mandy celebration, so far.

7. [​IMG]

Hello: @Yeahyeahyeah , @LKane , @tylerc904 , @Remorque , @Zar-Unity

I've only received a few sets of votes so far, but 10 days is still a good ways a way... so I'm not panicking about flopping in my first rate (yet!)

If you really want to vote & think this date will be an issue (i.e. will need extra time), let me know so I can start to plan an extension accordingly. I'd really love to hit my goal of 20 voters, if possible.

8. [​IMG]

Hello: @CasuallyCrazed , @Mirwais Ahmadzaï , @unnameable , @Florencia. , @savilizabeths

9. [​IMG]

Hello: @soratami, @ladylloyd , @RUNAWAY , @Robsolete , @Blayke

Robsolete, vague and Music Is Death like this.
  10. [​IMG]

Hello: @Josh K , @DJHazey (just tagging you in case!)

vague and Music Is Death like this.
  11. All I have left is Amanda Leigh (oddly enough, not on Apple Music?) so I will definitely be in!

vague and pop3blow2 like this.
  12. It's not on anywhere. It looks like Mandy released it on her own label, so maybe something happened and she hasn't gotten around to reupping it?

pop3blow2 likes this.
  13. Yeah, I actually posted my frustration about this in another thread, about 'Songs/Albums unavailable on digital' earlier this year.

Basically Wild Hope wasn't available at many outlets online forever... and Amanda Leigh was.

Ok, fine.

Then for like a brief moment last year both were available on Spotify. Yay! I can make a proper best-of playlist!

But no.....

Amanda Leigh then disappeared a couple weeks later.

Ugh.

14. That's a shame... Amanda Leigh is her best work!

I just finished voting.. I'm writing comments... And Actually I'm doubting about my 11. There are 2 songs that deserve that 11 for me

pop3blow2 likes this.
  15. So, today is technically the 7 day warning for Mandy rate ballot submissions.

As of right now I've only received a few ballots, but based on the overall interest & feedback I've gotten from many, I feel like a fair amount more people plan to vote. (I'm ever the optimist!)

So, based on that data & the fact I've had an unexpected trip spring up the week of 22nd, I'm inclined to extend the deadline one extra week.

If this is ok with @RainOnFire, I'm thinking the new deadline to submit ballots will be Monday, April 29. Reveals would start Wednesday, May 1.

Does this sound like a plan to all?

16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I like this plan. I haven’t been able to find either Mandy Moore or Amanda Leigh on Canadian streaming platforms so I’ve been putting this off.

Remorque, berserkboi, vague and 3 others like this.
  17. Ugh.... self-titled isn't available in Canada? Get with it Sony!

I know it's not ideal, but I did link to all the songs on YouTube in the songlist (if you just simply can't find them streaming anywhere, etc). I'd be super happy to have you participate! Your Taylor rate was a big inspiration for me wanting to try this at all.

I'll either thank you or scream at your later, haha!

Remorque, vague, VivaForever and 3 others like this.
  18. The extension makes me happy.

ohnostalgia and pop3blow2 like this.
  19. Ok, cool then.

[​IMG]

April 29 will be the last day ballots will be accepted.

P.S. Don't forget to tack on at least a few Mandy movie/tv show roles to your ballot, if you like any of them. I added a prompt to the PM friendly list on page one of the rate.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  20. Wait which movie is this again?

pop3blow2 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.