Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!) | Page 13 | The Popjustice Forum

Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by pop3blow2, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What's your favorite Mandy Moore album

1. So Real

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I Wanne Be With You

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Mandy Moore

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  4. Coverage

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Wild Hope

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  6. Amanda Leigh

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Other (soundtrack, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. vague, VivaForever and Music Is Death like this.
  2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

All I found were the three singles in a Best Of compilation. Interestingly, Spotify has Coverage up on streaming, but Apple Music doesn’t.

vague likes this.
  3. pop3blow2 likes this.
  4. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

vague, VivaForever and pop3blow2 like this.
  5. Yeah, Clara Barton was in that era.... so I can see how you'd think of Salem Witch Trials.

sidenote: I'd sooo be on board with Mandy doing a movie about that... I love the Salem Witch Trials stuff!

Haha, yeah sure!

KAC : "...well, on 'the destroy America Team'...."

GC: "Yes, I did imply that. That's fair."

vague, Music Is Death and ohnostalgia like this.
  6. I need it to happen now.

7. I will get this in to you by the deadline... trying to get a copy of American Dreamz first! The first one I got had a big security label on it, so I didn't want to put it in my PS4 and risk jamming it, and I found yesterday that the second one skips like mad. So tomorrow I'll make attempt #3...

Likewise, both copies of Saved! that I borrowed skipped - all of these have come from different libraries, by the by - but I was able to finish that one since it's on Prime Video.

Do you want commentary on the acting roles?

pop3blow2 likes this.
  8. Only if you want. If you do include it, I'll make sure it gets added in . I like to read people's thoughts, etc, for sure!

vague likes this.
  9. Thinking of the movies reminds me I actually saw "License to Wed" on the big screen. How did Robin Williams end up in such a lightweight comedy?

EDIT: Now I'm watching "How to deal" and her parents are Alison Janney and the dad from the OC! He has scary 90s facial hair!
    There are so many questions this movie raises, including
    how does she only get a slightly pink cheek when she's in hospital but the car windscreen looks like she suffered a major injury?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    pop3blow2 and vague like this.
  10. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I’ve seen way too many “bad” Mandy Moore movies in theatre because I have no standards.

11. [​IMG]

“A trouble-istic girl
    Makes your trouble-ations grow.
    Double trouble-istic
    When you try to tell me, ‘No.’”

The Mandy Moore Annual : 2006

Much like Mandy’s musical discography, her filmography is nothing if not diverse. Personally, as someone who sometimes jumps around from genre to genre & finds almost art interesting on some sort of level, it's no wonder she has always appealed to me so much.

As she pondered her next move musically, she found her way to the screen in a mixed variety of projects in 2006. This started with her arc as Julie (Zach Braff’s) girlfriend on Scrubs early in the year. As a fan of the show, I loved her in this and thought her sense of physical humor shined. I wish the arc had been longer. Ironically, by the time these episodes finally aired in 2006, Mandy & Zach’s off screen romance seemed to have run its course & by mid 2006 they appeared to longer be a couple.

In the Spring, Mandy was in full promo gear for her next starring role. American Dreamz, was a timely cultural satire tailor made for 2006. Partly mocking the Bush administration & also poking fun at the facade of the success of uber-popular singing shows like American Idol, the movie divided critics, who felt it tried to do too much. Mandy stared as a signing contestant hopeful (Sally Kendoo), who maybe didn’t have the best heart. She also contributed two 'in character' songs to the soundtrack. One was a parody country song called ‘Mommy Don’t Drink Me To Bed Tonight’ (embedded below) & the other is a parody of America's love of over-the-top patriotic anthems called ‘Dreams With A Z’. Both are relatively short & really more of ’style parodies’ than proper songs, so I left them off the rate. They are sort of funny & worth a listen. If nothing else, it was nice to hear Mandy’s voice during such a long dry spell in her discog at the time.

In pure Meta-Mandy-Synergy, she was further immortalized in pop culture in May , when she contributed her voice to an episode of The Simpons. Singing the national anthem on the show, as a pop star (Tabatha Vixx), it was a great send-up of the very pop culture that Mandy had been a part of in some ways (similar to her role in American Dreamz). In a very funny scene, her character singing the national anthem at a baseball game turns into a full on promo for newest single, complete with risque-choreo, a bit more scandalous than anything Mandy ever did (though some were probably waiting for her to do.) It's a pretty awesome zeitgeist moment & the song is a bit a bop! (embedded below)

Spring was unusually busy, as Mandy was also part of the ensemble cast for Richard Kelly’s Southland Tales. While buzz was high around the project (his first movie since 2001’s Donnie Darko), the film premiered to negative reviews at Cannes Film Festival in May. This led to many edits & versions, that eventually saw many of Mandy’s scaled back from the cut of the film that eventually limped into theaters in 2007. Ultimately, the movie was huge box office bomb, but has found some renewed interest as a cult 00’s film in recent years.

In the summer, Mandy’s voice found work again, this time is what would be the first of many roles for Disney. Brother Bear 2 was the direct to vide sequel of the hit animated film, Brother Bear (among the last films that were hand drawn by the company). Mandy played the endearing Nita, in a movie that was a bit more inspired than many of the questionable direct to video sequels by Disney during the era. It would be the first of many of more lucrative Disney voice roles, that would be coming down the pike.

As the year wrapped, more buzz started circulating about a new album on the horizon from Mandy. Throughout the year, while promoting other projects, she had made it known she was hard at work on her next album; working with the likes of Lori McKenna, Rachel Yamagata, The Weepies, & more. Descriptions floated from it being a folk/rock album with pop sensibilities to ‘a respectable pop album’. Whatever the case, Mandy’s fans were ready… as it had been over three years since Coverage at this point.

Mandy Moore as Julie on Scrubs (Montage from early 2006)

Mandy on David Letterman (Spring 2006)

Mandy Moore & Chris Klein (American Dream Promo Interview Early 2006)

Mandy Moore ("Mommy, Don’t Drink Me To Bed Tonight" from American Dreamz)

Mandy Moore As Tabitha Vixx (Simpsons May 2006)

Mandy Magazine Mentions (from my archives!)

Glamour Feb 2006

[​IMG]

Where Do You See Yourself In 10 years?

"In 10 years I would love to be married with a family. I love to open a theater for young people and build a recording studio in my house. Broadway is a huge goal for me too. In terms of film, I wouldn’t mind becoming ‘America’s Sweetheart, or a Cameron Diaz-style comedienne... or a serious actress. I’d like to do it all! It will happen someday— I’m determined."

Teen Vogue May 2006

[​IMG]

Mblem, her clothing line, is going well too, and in discussing it Mandy demonstrates a very dry wit: asked to detail her involvement in the design process, she deadpans, “I am as involved as one can be with T-shirts.” it’s a little surprising to hear the sunny starlet express even the slightest edge but we like it.

(ed. We love a self aware Queen!)

Elle June 2006

[​IMG]

Mandy Moore‘s transformation is a sign that maybe it’s time to rethink the legacy of teen pop. Like with just about every previous and subsequent youth culture movement, it seemed pretty clear that the advent of bubblegum pop (Britney, Justin, Mandy, et al) had been pre-staged in Revelations as a sign of the impending apocalypse. But at the very least, being put through the teen machine teaches you how to be an entertainer — How to sing dance and do a satellite radio tour how to be a professional at age 16. How can we not be impressed by the ingenuity of these youngsters emerging as they have into adulthood?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  12. I've probably rationalized too many of her 'bad' movies as 'fine' to 'good', simply because she is in them. She has some though, that are rough. (even for my stan goggles)

13. You raise valid questions (that I have also thought about!)...

unfortunately...

200w.gif

vague likes this.
  14. Submitted. I would have liked more time with the extras but that's my problem, things have been crazy.

If anyone can hook me up with a CD Rip of Feel Me, feel free.

Remorque, pop3blow2 and vague like this.
  15. I am finally catching up with the thread, and what a lovely story @pop3blow2 !
    The fact that your colleagues thought le you whenever something related to Mandy crossed their paths, and that they would get them for you speaks very highly of you as a person (they certainly cared for you and ypir happiness!!) ABS as a fan of course.

(If I continue answering old posts...I am sorry, but I like to read all the messages!)

-----

I am a huge of A Walk to Remember since it is how I was introduced to Mandy, and the soundtrack.
    I saw the movie for the first time in the church, and I loved it so much that I asked my mother to get it for me. That's how I discovered the Cry music video, and how I fell in love with Mandy.
    I must admit that I have a soft spot for It's Gonna Be Love. I think it is one of my favourite songs of the soundtrack

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Remorque, ohnostalgia, Robert and 4 others like this.
  16. Don't be sorry, so happy your reading through the thread. Respond away!

PS: I extended the date to submit scores until April 29, so you have a little extra time to get yours together. Mandy needs your scores!

17. I will probably work on my ballot during this l long weekend @pop3blow2 , so I hope to send it to you soon.
    Sorry I haven't done it before, but I just went from working part time to full time and I am still not used to my new routine

pop3blow2 likes this.
  18. Been reading through last year's 90's Pop Princess Rate.

Whew.

I really hope @CasuallyCrazed is voting in this rate, because anyone who realizes the amazingness that is 'Everything My Heart Desires' that much, needs their scores in this rate!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  19. Oh yes I am!!! I'm very much here to represent the underrated bubblegum bops her discography houses.

I'm just waiting for Amanda Leigh to... sit with me a bit more.

[​IMG]

Remorque and pop3blow2 like this.
  20. I kind of love how openly that Simpsons song is aping Toxic.

Remorque and pop3blow2 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.