Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!) | Page 14 | The Popjustice Forum

Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by pop3blow2, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What's your favorite Mandy Moore album

1. So Real

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I Wanne Be With You

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Mandy Moore

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  4. Coverage

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Wild Hope

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  6. Amanda Leigh

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Other (soundtrack, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ok,

@Music Is Life , @ohnostalgia , @vague , @Robert , @chris4862

Here's the real 10 day 'submit your ballot' warning from Mandy!

[​IMG]

With a handful of ballots submitted, here is some early leaderboard tea:

• So far every studio album has at least one song represented in the top 10.
    • The song currently winning has a perfect 10
    • Every ballot has had a different 11

Vote by Midnight EST on April 29!

2. Ok,

@CasuallyCrazed , @Mirwais Ahmadzaï , @unnameable , @Florencia. , @savilizabeths

[​IMG]

vague, Music Is Death and Florencia. like this.
  3. Ok,

@soratami , @ladylloyd , @RUNAWAY , @Robsolete , @Blayke

[​IMG]

4. Wow, I’m quite surprised by this. But maybe it goes to show how good her discography is as there’s more than just one clear 11.

vague, Music Is Death and pop3blow2 like this.
  5. Ok,

@Josh K , @Zar-Unity , @Remorque

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  6. I only have 2 albums to go, I've been very busy lately but I will definitely submit, if not before then on 29th for sure!

pop3blow2 likes this.
  7. Ok, that tagging spree is over, I think.

To anyone else popping into the thread at this point:

It's April 19. If I haven't tagged you,

• because you were unsure about doing the rate & haven't really checked in
    • you're just lurking, but are sorta interested
    • you're new to Popjustice or rates & have questions...
    • or whatever!
    If you kind of like Mandy or just sorta interested/nostalgic for her (or maybe just want to give her discog a fair try!), please consider voting. You have 10 days... that's only like 9 songs a day. You can do it! Maybe you'll discover some new songs you love.

[​IMG]

If you're new to rates & have any questions, let me know. I'll try to help.

All the details are here, including the song list, are in the first post here >

If you want to read a little more about Mandy, try these 'Annuals Posts' I've been making for each year of her career.

Thanks so much!

ohnostalgia, Zar-Unity, LKane and 4 others like this.
  8. I've been working on my ballot all morning, listening to Mandy's first two albums since I didn't remember many of the songs. I will try to have it done by Friday at the latest!

pop3blow2 likes this.
  9. [​IMG]

The Mandy Moore Annual : 2007

“In the crazy world
    Anything can happen if you will it too”

Most great pop stars have 'tent-pole years' in their mythology. 2007 was one of those years for Mandy Moore. It was a huge year in Mandy world & things got started right off the bat. In January, after over three years without a proper song release, 'Extraordinary' premiered on Mandy’s MySpace page. It would be the anthem of this era for Mandy & very on-brand for where she was in her life. A few weeks later, a second song showed up, 'Nothing That You Are'. The announcement was then made that Mandy’s new album, her 5th, would be released in summer. Th album was contain over two years of off and songwriting & other collaborations, by a number of artists. This initial list included: Michelle Branch, Chantal Kreviazuk, Lori McKenna*, & The Weepies.

While music would be at the forefront of Mandy’s big year, she would also find the screen in many roles & forms. This started in January when she starred opposite Billy Crudup in the film Dedication. Justin Theroux's directorial debut, was a quirky little romantic comedy set in the world of children’s literature (something I’m quite fond of.) The film premiered on the film festival circuit in early 2007 to mixed reviews, eventually only seeing limited release later in the year. (I see a trend here, Mandy.)

February saw Mandy star in one of the more profitable films of her career, Because I Said So. The film had had Mandy starring opposite Diane Keaton, playing her overbearing mom. The whole affair was a bit cringe-ly-’basic’, but actually found an audience & made over 70 million dollars at the box office. The audience seemed to enjoy it, giving it high marks. It was universally panned by critics.

In a moment of pure-Meta-Mandy-Synergy, on April 10th, Mandy’s 23 birthday, she officially dropped the lead single from the album Wild Hope. 'Extraordinary' was an effervescent reinvention of Mandy’s sound & a great way to kick off the ensuing campaign. She even stopped my MTV’s TRL in May to premiere the video (which basically flopped on the network… while eventually doing ok on sister network VH1). Over the coming months she popped up everywhere promoting the album. It was so great to see back making music she loved & was proud of. She made the tv talk show circuits, both a guest & performer. She even had a mini-documentary on the Oxygen network, highlighting the making of the album.

In June, Wild Hope was released to positive reviews, who praised Mandy’s vocals, songwriting, & collaboration choices. While the album proved a minor commercial hit (eventually seeing over 200,000 copies in the US) it was as important as anything for establishing Mandy’s new musical path; a path completely of her own choosing. She stated the album was also very much a therapeutic process, as it helped her deal with & process many events, relationships, & growth moments in her personal life.

Over the summer, she also embarked on a short headlining tour to promote the album. One of these stops was in Chicago & was filmed a concert documentary for MSN. (I was there! Only a few days after my birthday... a moment for me, for sure. More on that later at some point, probably.) She also did a month over that summer on a co-headlining tour with Paula Cole, before ending the last summer with a month of more dates with her solo headlining.

In the midst of all this Wild Hope promo, Mandy was also promoting her new movie to be released in July: License To Wed. Similar to Because I Said so, the movie had Mandy stating along aside an all-star cast, that inlaced Robin Williams & John Krasinkski. Also much like Because I Said So, the movie was actually a mild box office hit, but a complete bust with critics.

In the fall, Mandy lent her voice to Australian singer/songwriter Ben Lee on the song ‘Birds and Bees’ from his album Ripe. I’ll add a post about this song, as it was originally on my short list for the discog rate, before being lost to edits. She also co-starred in an episode of hit comedy How I Met Your Mother, (in a role that would have ‘Robin Daggers’ shook, ha!) Mandy as comedienne is something I think she is completely under-appreciated for. She's really funny. Her comic timing, voice tone, & facial expressions are perfect in comic roles. I always wished she got more than these one-off roles in some of the popular sitcoms.

Heard in the background of the How I Met Your Mother episode was the song 'Nothing That You Are' from Wild Hope. While slated to be the second single release of the album the album in late 2007, it never really materialized & the campaign sorta fizzled out. Nonetheless, Wild Hope had put Mandy back on the musical map & she seemed pretty happy with the whole era. As a fan, it was so nice to have her back.

Mandy Moore Radio Interview: 92.9 Spokane's Tanya Taylor (March 2007)

Bandcmap Interview (June 2007)

Late Late Show (June 2007)

Mandy about Mblem : Interview on Jane TV (June 2007)

As ‘Amy the Tattoo Chick’ How I Met Your Mother (Fall 2007)

Mandy Magazine Mentions (from my archives!)

Jane (February 2007)

[​IMG]

“A few months ago I felt really low, really sad. Depressed for no reason. I’m a very positive person, and I’ve always been glass-half-full. So it was like someone flipped a switch in me. Writing (for Wild Hope) has been very therapeutic. These little nuggets that have come up over the past eight months have really made me look things in a different way.”

“I’ve been going through this really crazy time in my life – it’s what I imagine people fresh out of college go through. I’m asking myself life-altering questions, like Who am I? Where do I fit in this world? What am I doing, what do I want to do? Am I living to my full potential?”

Billboard (February 2007)

[​IMG]

Even if listeners are willing to take seriously a singer/songwriter record from a former teen-pop moppet, they still have to buy this thing to prove the (new indie music model for her) model works.

Moore seems untroubled by the demands. “Not to sound bad, but I don’t necessarily have to make a record," she says scrunching up her face to off-set her brass-tacks honesty. “No one is out there there desperately waiting for my next album. (ed. This guy was...haha!)

I have so much fun doing film stuff & I am really creatively fulfilled doing that right now. So I have to do the music my way. It means too much to me. I can’t just go into the studio and make a crappy pop record to please somebody else. Why bother?" -- (ed. Gawd, I fucking love her!)

Seventeen (March 2007)

[​IMG]

Your new cd is also different from the norm in the music industry. How did that come about?

Mandy: "I was very adamant about the type of record I wanted to make. I am aware enough to know I haven’t had a tone of musical success —and music is my first love. (writing my own songs) is probably the thing I am most proud of thus far in my career ‘cause it speaks volumes about who I am."

Self (June 2007)

[​IMG]

“On any given day, there are things I don’t like about myself— my hips, my butt, a million things. I’ve finally reached a point of saying, ‘OK. This is who I am, and I’m going to embrace that’. Moore admits she can sometimes get a little excessive with self-criticism. “We’re taught to not take compliments, she says. ‘Extraordinary' is a response to that.”

Missed a Mandy Annual Post? Here's a Table of Contents >

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  10. I finally started on this earlier this morning and I wrote my heart out
    about her first two releases. I plan on doing at least her self-titled and
    Coverage tomorrow morning. What better way to start the day off then with some
    Mandy tunes? I would have started sooner but I've been too busy
    with other things. Thank you so much @pop3blow2 for that nice
    extension! This write ups have been amazing!

I tweeted to Mandy today about this song rate, maybe she will take a look
    at it and/or leave a comment about it. I'm sure she would be proud.
    I went ahead and used the tagline "LetsdoMandyproud". I think
    that's the perfect headline that you came up with @pop3blow2

I certainly know that you have been making all of Mandy fans and her new
    fans proud by hosting this amazing song rate.

11. I’ve been rating Coverage, Wild Hope and Amanda Leigh tonight. I’ve found it difficult to rate them against the earlier albums because of the difference in styles. I might go over them again I. A couple of days if I have time.

I also noticed for the first time that for some reason the track order on my Wild Hope is different to the standard version, I wonder why that is. (It was a download not on cd).

pop3blow2 likes this.
  12. This means more people need to 11 my 11.
    In other words, I Could Break Your Heart Etc. Etc. is in the top ten.

unnameable, Zar-Unity and pop3blow2 like this.
  13. Curious, what's the track order for you?

14. Just got this done tonight. I have been reviewing two Mandy albums each morning. I did a big write up for each album, as they all deserved it. I had no idea that Wild hope had two bonus tracks or that Mandy
    had an amazing song that never even got a proper release. I was impressed by a few of her albums that I heard again, even though I've already heard them so many times in the past. Doing this Mandy song rate was kind of refreshing for me and made me rekindle my love for Mandy even further.
    That extension saved and secured my ballot! Thank you @pop3blow2 !

I know that this rate is all about Mandy, and I love that, but I wanted to mention for
    a second this amazing singer from Sweetbox named Jade Villaton that I think not
    only sounds like Mandy somewhat, but she looks like her too. I kept thinking about
    her while I was doing this rate. She is kind of my new favorite pop sensation as far
    as powerful, melodic cute female singers go. And if you are a Mandy Moore fan
    and/or doing this rate, then you know all about that. Okay back to worshiping Mandy hehe

pop3blow2 likes this.
  15. So, there's 5 days left to get your votes in. How's it going everyone!?

[​IMG]

Thought this would be a fun time to highlight 5 songs that missed the cut for the rate. There was a variety of reasons they missed & ultimately I'm super happy with the 84 songs I landed upon... as I felt they were both great representation of all 'eras of Mandy' & I was able to keep the list to the magic number '84' I wanted.

Without further adieu, some Mandy that missed the cut.

1. Birds and Bees : Ben Lee (featuring Mandy Moore)

This was a tough one. Truth be told, when I first started making the song list year, this was on the list. Then I started making some other lists in other text editors & it got lost in a merge! I didn't realize this when finalizing the song list. To be fair Mandy's feature isn't super big on it, so I was favoring ruling it out anyways.

(Ultimately, I guess her feature on the song is as big as 'On The Line' , so maybe it deserved it to be here. Who knows. I included that one mainly for nostalgia.)

Anyways, here's Mandy singing on Ben Lee's 'Birds and Bees'.

2. Beautiful Man (Lori McKenna cover)

This song briefly appeared on Mandy's MySpace in the mid 00's when she was between labels & just wanted to let people know she still sang.... (and was working on stuff!) I jotted it down as a potential song for the rate, but don't have an actual copy of it anymore. I think I internet ripped the audio at the time, but the song is not in my iTunes now. Ugh. So, when I went to YouTube to find a version for the rate, I didn't see it... so I nixed it.

I'll be damned if I wasn't looking Mandy Moore stuff up on YouTube the other day for a write-up & found a version... set to a Sailor Moon montage! (Haha... I love the internet)

Anyways, here's 'Beautiful Man', by Mandy. (complete with Sailor Moon footage.)

3. Suddenly Seymour: Mandy Moore & Adam Pascal

So, in early 2002 Mandy performed on a Bravo! special called 'Broadway's Best’. As someone who considers herself a theater geek, I know the performance was likely a big deal for her. For me, I'm a big fan of Little Shop of Horrors & a huge Howard Ashman/Alan Menken fan, so it's a fun moment. For those reasons, I considered including it.

That said, the only time she sang it was the one time for the show & it's maybe not the best performance of the song... so I decided to cut it. I'm glad it exists, though.

4. Set Yourself Free: Tangled The Series

I decided there was enough Rapunzel in the rate, but this song from the series was in the running.

Now, I know it may seem like maybe there's actually too many songs from Tangled related properties in the rate, but there's a couple reasons for this. One being that I feel like the Rapunzel role is a huge part of Mandy's musical legacy & an oddly symbolic meta-autbiograpical tale of her life at the time. The other is that I'm a Disney nerd & I love the movie with every fiber of my being. When she was cast as Rapunzel, it was a huge geek-out moment for me.

5. Mommy Don't Drink Me To Bed Tonight (from American Dreamz)

I already linked this in the write-up for 2006, but American Dreamz was oddly problematic for rate purposes. While there was an official soundtrack (which I own, of course) & Mandy does sing on it... the songs are well, style parodies. They are also very short, in that hokey/awful 'American Idol' edit-for-tv-runtime kinda way.

I do think American Dreamz's poking fun at 'America Idol' was actually done pretty well in the movie & Mandy singing as her contestant-character 'Sally Kendoo' was pretty spot on. It just fell-short of what I considered essential for the rate.

Now, I realize a couple songs that made the final cut were definitely fringe, but I feel like they were (if nothing else) an interesting part of the overall Mandy-tapestry. This is why included them.

I hope everyone is enjoying their Mandy journe & can't wait to get your scores!

Remember, votes are due April 29th!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    ohnostalgia, LKane, Robert and 8 others like this.
  16. A Sailor Moon connection? We stan!!!

17. Seeing the old Sailor Moon dub names like

[​IMG]

vague, berserkboi and RUNAWAY like this.
  18. 01 Extraordinary
    02 All Good Things
    03 Slummin' in Paradise
    04 Most of Me
    05 Looking Forward to Looking Back
    06 Few Days Down
    07 Nothing That You Are
    08 Wild Hope
    09 Latest Mistake
    10 Can't You Just Adore Her?
    11 Ladies Choice
    12 Gardenia
    13 Swept Away
    14 Could Have Been Watching You
    15 All Good Things (Raw Version)

It seems to flow well for me, but then again, I don't know any different!

Sprockrooster and pop3blow2 like this.
  19. Working on the Mandy Annual post for 2008 (which will be a light one).

I had never seen this photo before & it gave me life! (My favorite Disney movie is Lilo & Stitch.)

MandyMooreatDisneyWorld75984813.jpg

20. [​IMG]

“It's a take-out weekend
    It's a fake-out smile and pretend
    If nobody sees you cry
    You can say it was raining outside
    And all that you want
    Is a few days down”

The Mandy Moore Annual: 2008

For as busy as Mandy’s year was in 2007, 2008 was the ying to that yang. In fact, Mandy seemed to want to take her own song’s advice, and literally just wanted a few days down.

While most promo for Wild Hope in the US had stopped towards the end of 2007, Mandy was actually ramping up promo for the album's release in other markets. This included Australia, where Mandy had a pretty big fanbase. In early the 2008 the album was released there & she embarked on a mini-tour with Kelly Clarkson (whew, queens!). While 'down under, she also found some time some shows with Australian singer/songwriter Ben Lee. In 2007 she had sung on his album Ripe ('Birds and Bees') & they had become friends.

She also embarked on a short promo tour for Wild Hope in the Philippines, where she was still a pretty big deal. I remember her playing like a 10,000 seat mini-arena in the Philippines during the Coverage-era, being fascinated, & joking that she would struggle to sell out 1,000 seats in the US. (I really should write a book about regional fandoms at some point, the concept is so interesting to me.)

Surprisingly, Mandy had no movie or tv roles in 2008. This was the first time since 2000 where this was the case. She did return to the world of music videos, randomly starring in a music video for artist & friend Brett Dennen (story at People here.) The song was 'Make You Crazy' & the video was quirkily charming in its own way. She also appeared on the Stand Up To Cancer benefit show towards the end of 2008; a cause she's continued to ver involved with for years.

All-in-all it was a fairly quiet year. That said, there were two developments that came to light in 2008 that would have lasting effect on the next decade of Mandy’s career. One, was that it 2008 Mandy caught wind that Disney was making a Rapunzel animated film & apparently enthusiastically pursued the role through many traditional casting/auditioning channels (in what was a competitive pool of voices). The other development was that Mandy met famous (infamous to some), but generally heralded musician Ryan Adams & soon began dating. As someone who was a huge Disney fan & someone who was a pretty big Ryan Adams fan, I was so excited. My disparate worlds of POP > ROCK > & Disney were all colliding & Mandy was at the center!

Because, of course she was.

Towards the very end of the year, Mandy hinted that she was already hard at work on the follow-up to Wild Hope. She was again writing with Mike Viola & Lori McKenna... and even started performing some small club gigs at the end of 2008 to preview new tunes.

Things seemed to going well for Mandy & I was so happy for her. And with recent developments of her intertwining with other fandoms of mine, I was probably greedily excited for what the next phase of her career could offer to me.

Mandy Moore & Ben Lee: Birds and Bees Live (On tour in early 2008)

Mandy being interviewed by Chill Spot in the Philippines (March 2008)

Mandy starring in Brett Dennen's video for Make You Crazy (Fall 2008)

Mandy premiering new songs at a small gig (November 2008)

Mandy Magazine Mentions (from my archives!)

So, I'm actually winding down on my Mandy magazine collection in these wrtie-ups. By 2007, I was no longer working at the bookstore & was starting to not buy as many mags in my life in general. I actually don't have any Mandy mags from 2008, but did realize I missed one from the 2007 write-up today.

Elle (May 2007)

[​IMG]

I ask how Mandy she thinks she was perceived as a teen pop star, as compared to other with those other pubescent singers of the late '90's. Moore finishes a bite of her oatmeal frittata, pauses to consider the question, then cheerfully plunges this verbal dagger into herself: "I'm sure I was viewed as the young untalented one. Britney Spears & Christina Aguilera had some great pop music. And then there was Jessica Simpson. And then there was me. And that's fine." Does she consider herself a better singer or actress? "I'm mediocre at both", she chirps. "I'm not trying to come across self-deprecating. I'm just being honest."

(ed. While I adore this lady & overall her self-awareness, I have to chime in. Maybe she's not 'the best pop singer' or 'the best actress', but she's anything but mediocre. I hope she's less hard on herself now.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.