Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!) | Page 18 | The Popjustice Forum

Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by pop3blow2, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What's your favorite Mandy Moore album

1. So Real

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I Wanne Be With You

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Mandy Moore

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  4. Coverage

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Wild Hope

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  6. Amanda Leigh

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Other (soundtrack, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Wait, Mandy has a last.fm? #oneofus

Remorque, LKane, berserkboi and 3 others like this.
  2. I believe @pop3blow2 means "the 14th most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm."

3. At the end of the day, I Wanna Be With You just feels like a deluxe version of the debut, so it kind of makes sense people don't think of it as a favorite era on its own.

I wish we could have rated the Wade Robson mixes too. The "Candy" remix would probably tank but I have a feeling the "So Real" remix might have performed better than the original.

4. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Oh... well that’s more rational.

5. Yeah, my wording could've probably been better. Haha!

I thought about including some remixes, but the internal debate became do you include them all or just a few. (She actually had a fair amount of remixes.) At the end of the day, I normally if I like a specific remix a lot I just factor it into my final score of a song.

Remorque, berserkboi, vague and 2 others like this.
  6. I love "me in the Alcazar rate."

The I Wanna Be with You remix is great (though not as good as the original, of course), but I can't think of any other Mandy remixes that I'm particularly enamored of.

Remorque and berserkboi like this.
  7. Another song I didn’t really know before the start of this rate. It’s not bad but not amazing either. Glad to see it go early on.

Florencia. and berserkboi like this.
  8. Yeah, those were the 2 obvious first eliminations, so I can't say I'm sad to see either go.

9. [​IMG]

"Singing To The Song Of Life" | 5.878

Rated 82nd out of 84 total songs

Rated 19th out of 21 soundtracks & extras

Chart info or stats:

The 247th most scrobbled Mandy Moore song on Last.fm

Liner Notes

Written for the direct to DVD Disney film Tarzan & Jane. Written by: Don Harper & Mark Mancina.
    Released July 23, 2002.

This song was never released in any format, other than a special feature on the DVD.

"My own parade…"

The Mandy Disney cull continues!

This one was actually more divisive than I thought it'd be. It surprisingly hung around in the 50's for awhile, but a rash of low scores at the end sent it pummeling down the chart.

'Singing To The Song Of Life' is an odd one. I mean, it's a proper song, but outside of its use in the film, it never saw any sort of official release. Because of this, I feel like it's kind of lost to the annals of nostalgia for those people who owned the DVD & had a certain attachment. You see where I'm going here; I didn't think there'd be many of those people! If you were coming to this song for the first time, I imagine its fine, but probably inessential. (The film itself is rough. Some direct to dvd Disney sequels were ok, this one... ummm, it's a no.)

Mandy does bring a certain enthusiasm to a song that is pretty standard fare. I mean, obviously it was trying to recapture the magic of Phil Collins 'world beat' inspired score in the original Tarzan. It's passable in that regard.

The song is probably more interesting for the seeds it was planting. Mandy wasn't originally linked to Disney in the same way say, Britney, Christina, & even some of the N*Syncers were. This is interesting to me, because you could argue that even though the aforementioned actually got their start on the Mickey Mouse Club, they really did very little with company once they set off on their own & even actively tried to distance themselves in some ways. (I mean, Christian did 'Reflections' for Mulan, but they all did very little 'official' Disney stuff post MMC.)

In typical Mandy fashion, she was iconoclastic.

While her contemporaries were trying to distance themselves from Disney (in fear it would make them 'kiddie' & 'unmarketable'), Mandy was actively pursing projects with them, simply because she was a fan & wanted to. In the little behind scenes video below, you can even hear Mandy basically selling the point she'd love to voice a Disney character. That was 2002! (I'm not a business-woman... I'm a Business, woman.)

Mandy, grew up in Orlando & was a huge Disney fan. She seemed ecstatic to get her foot in the door with The Princess Diaries & over the course of the next decade proceeded to be involved with many projects for company (obviously culminating with her role as Rapunzel). Each little role was a building block to that & 'Singing To The Song Of Life', while sort of hokey & feel good, was an important stop in that journey for Mandy.

Speaking of Disney, my favorite theme park is Animal Kingdom & they missed the boat not using this song in that park or for promos there. And that's the tea.

My Score: 7

"Kicking up confetti leaves…"

8 - 10: Sparkle In The Sky

@VivaForever (9) : These lyrics are bordering on meaningless, but they truly did not have to go this hard for a direct-to-DVD “movie” actually composed of three episodes of a cartoon bookended by an attempt at a frame story. But they did! ‘Hard to believe it’s not just a dream’ is a #moment. The Mandy/Phil Collins duet version of Two Worlds was also amazing and should have been released! (Yes! Sadly, there's no version to link I can find online. That 'movie' was such a mess, though.)
    @Zar-Unity (8.8):
    Wow, what is this from? This is really energetic and has a nice atmosphere going on. Lots of nice sounds and beautiful singing by Mandy. Sounds like a jam to me! I'm thinking a little of Disney's Tarzan and The Lion King. It has a cool in the jungle or being close to nature ibe to it, which is a very fun and pleasant theme to hear her sing in. Looks like I nailed it! According to a comment on the video this song was actually from the Tarzan and Jane movie! Very cool! (Mandy's song is the best part of the movie, so you're probably good skipping this one! Haha!)

@Sprockrooster (8) : Fantastic chorus! That choir elevates an otherwise bland song with ease. (Agree. I maybe underscored it a tad, as it has actually popped in my head some since the rate.)

@Music Is Life (8.5):
    This was cute. It bops, and the lyrics are nice enough. (Fair.)

@vague (8.75)

6 - 7.9: Corner of your eye
    @ohnostalgia (6,5): This is the Brother Bear song isn’t it? Better than Phil Collins. (Why did this make me chuckle more than it should?)

@unnameable (6): enjoyable but doesn’t really stick in the memory (That's what I thought too... until it started popping into my head!)

@tylerc904 (6) , @Robert (6). @Robsolete (7.5), @RUNAWAY (6)

6 and under: Still Undiscovered
    @chris4862 (2): The only Mandy song where I just can't. (So, you're not signing to the song of life, I gather?)

@LKane (3), @ladylloyd (3), @Florencia. (5), @Remorque (4.5), @CasuallyCrazed (.25)

For Your Viewing & Listening Pleasure

[

Behind the scenes clip for Singing To The Song Of Life

Scream!! Why would someone use this song for a Rose & Jack Titanic montage? Oh YouTube, you're too much

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Remorque, Rem, vague and 9 others like this.
  10. Another inessential song. I think I rated it higher than some songs that were still left in, but it feels right another Disney song should have gone.

11. Didn't know this one was for Tarzan & Jane. So Mandy has been in a good relationship with Disney since... the princess diaries?

Remorque, Florencia. and pop3blow2 like this.
  12. Yeah, I think this random project sort of got the ball rolling though... for her animation voiceover legacy at Disney. After this she then proceeded to :
    • Voice Nita in Brother Bear 2
    • Voice Rapunzel in Tangled
    • Voice Mara in Tron Uprising
    • Voice Sherrif Callie in Sheriff Callie's Wild West
    • And continue voice Rapunzel in tons of other ancillary projects for Disney... which is fascinating to me, because sometimes the 'main voice' of a main character in a Disney movie doesn't reprise their role in 'minor projects'. This is sometimes by choice & sometimes because the studio doesn't want to keep paying a big name to provide the voice (if they can find a copycat that is good enough.) It's kind of interesting to me that Mandy pretty much provide(s) Rapnuzel's voice for everything.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Remorque, vague, ohnostalgia and 5 others like this.
  13. Me when THIS is third-to-last when there is still some TRASH remaining:
    [​IMG]

Me when I was watching TV one day and The Legend of Tarzan came on, and it was one of the episodes included on Tarzan & Jane, confirming my long-held suspicion (that I'd not been able to confirm myself in a home without internet) that it was actually three episodes of the cartoon strung together:
    [​IMG]

I believe Tarzan & Jane was the first time Disney used that trick, but the following year they did it again with Atlantis: Milo's Return (using episodes of a show that never made it to air). They'd previously done something similar with Winnie the Pooh: Seasons of Giving, which used one new segment and two TV episodes. I feel like I'm missing another one too.

14. vague likes this.
  15. pop3blow2 likes this.
  16. Having worked at a toy store & used media store for most of the early 00's (and being a Disney nerd to boot), the amount of useless knowledge in my brain about such stuff is quite extensive. (I think you're right though & there's even another one.)

Anyways.... here's a question for everyone:

Will the Mandy Disney cull continue with the next elimination or does it get a break in the rate?

Remorque, vague, ohnostalgia and 3 others like this.
  17. I don't think the Tangled songs will be gone any time soon, so I would guess the Disney elimination will get a break!

Remorque, berserkboi and LKane like this.
  18. It better be getting a break.

Remorque and pop3blow2 like this.
  19. The next cut could be moderately polarizing, we'll see. It's the last cut under a 6 average for the rate. I'll likely get it out Thursday or Friday.

Remorque, Florencia., vague and 3 others like this.
  20. please God let it be Quit Breaking My Heart

vague and Music Is Death like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.