Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!) | Page 19 | The Popjustice Forum

Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by pop3blow2, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What's your favorite Mandy Moore album

1. So Real

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I Wanne Be With You

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Mandy Moore

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  4. Coverage

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Wild Hope

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  6. Amanda Leigh

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Other (soundtrack, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Wow, so 80/84 songs have an average of 6 or higher. Mandy did that!

Remorque, Florencia., vague and 3 others like this.
  2. I wanna be with you isn't a album though.

3. So Real wasn’t released in the U.K. instead we had I Wanna Be With You, which was a combination of tracks from the US versions of So Real and I Wanna Be With You. Was this the same in any other country?

pop3blow2 likes this.
  4. I Wanna Be With You Is one of the weirdest & random album releases in the history of modern pop music. (So, of course Mandy was involved.)

I mean, it's technically a So Real: Special Edition (I guess) even though its titled I Wanna Be With You: Special Edition (huh?).

It was such a messy era, which was so odd since So Real seemed so calculated. I think Epic panicked because So Real was underperforming (and they had spend a ton of money on her). I was just getting into her around this time, so I sort of followed the 'campaign' (loose terminology). I was like, 'oh, this is a mess. I'm watching this!' Even though I 'hated' disliked her out of the gate , I sort of started to feel bad for her. I knew enough about record label bullshit, & could see she was starting to get lost... which sucked because I was realizing she was actually super talented.

All that being said, I always considered it an album, though its official stance is somewhat questionable by some in her discog. It had 5 new songs & only contained two remixes of So Real's biggest 'hits'. Sometimes, Coverage is referred to as her third album though, by her & her management... so even they seem to skip over it. (Though she does refer to it as 'my new album' on the DVD Mandy Moore: The Real Story (2002))

Once 'I Wanna Be With You' (the song) the song took off, they really should have just pressed an EP with a few of the new songs a remix of 'Candy'. At least, that was always my opinion. The label's decision to press a whole new album shows how bloated & conceited the industry was in the early 00's. 'Sure, we'll just press a whole new album with the title of the 'hit'. We'll add a few new songs, but a few old songs too. Her fans will buy it. Whatever.' Their time was coming.

@Robert brings up another good point though, in regards to its validity as a proper album. For some countries I Wanna Be With You was her first album release... so it really wasn't a 'Special Edition' anything to them. It was her first album. The Wikipedia entry for the album is oddly interesting.

Remorque, ohnostalgia, Rem and 9 others like this.
  5. John Goodman playing the chimes on a Mandy Moore song... wow!

Remorque, vague and pop3blow2 like this.
  6. I Wanna Be with You is basically halfway between a proper album and a compilation. Amy Grant's Somewhere Down the Road from 2012 is another example I can think of.

Influencing an industry legend 12 years later... whew Mandy's power!

7. Here’s the U.K. track listing for I Wanna Be With You.

1. "I Wanna Be with You" 5:02
    2. "Candy" 3:55
    3. "What You Want" 3:41
    4. "So Real" 3:50
    5. "Everything My Heart Desires" 3:41
    6. "Want You Back" 3:18
    7. "The Way to My Heart" 3:40
    8. "Lock Me in Your Heart" 3:32
    9. "Telephone (Interlude)/Quit Breaking My Heart" 4:08
    10. "Walk Me Home" 4:23
    11. "Love You for Always" 3:21
    12. "I Like It" 4:26
    13. "Your Face"

The other So Real tracks became bsides here. The only song we never got was the Quit Breaking My Heart Reprise.

It’s interesting what they chose to put on that version as the songs they left off are some of my favourites. Not Too Young, Love Shot and Let Me Be the One.

8. [​IMG]

"Stupid Cupid" | 5.961

Rated 81st out of 84 total songs

Rated 18th out of 21 soundtracks & extras

Chart info or stats:

The 25th most scrobbled Mandy Moore song on Last.fm
    The Princess Diaries soundtrack went gold & peaked at #41 on the Billboard Chart.

Liner Notes

Written by Neil Sedaka & Howard Greenfield. Originally recorded by Connie Francis in 1958.

Mandy's version was recorded 2001 for the film
    The Princess Diaries, where she was featured in a beach performance of it. An extended version of the song was also on the movie soundtrack Released July 24, 2001.

"My own parade…"

So, I guess theoretically, the Disney cull continues.

This one leaving so soon was a little surprising to me, I guess only because based on some earlier discussion in the rate, Mandy's turn as 'Lana Thomas' in the film seemed to be favorite here. So, I thought that would earn this little song some goodwill. It didn't. In fact, this song was always pretty much in bottom 10.

Mandy's version of this song was always fun to me. Since Mandy was a bit of a teen idol herself, her on brand performance of a song that was a bit of a 'teen hit' in its own day brought me some joy. It really captured the vide of a by-gone era pretty well.

I grew up in a very musical house, in that my dad was a radio disc jockey & a bit if a encyclopedia of 50', 60's, & 70's music. One of his favorite eras of music was the 'The Brill Building' era in the late 50's early 60's. That's a whole other write-up, but needless to say, tons of great songs came out of a building in New York in that era. One of those songs, 'Stupid Cupid' wound up in hands (voice) of a fledgling artist, Connie Francis. It was a huge hit & helped save her career. We had lots of Brill Building records & cds around my house as a kid, so I was quite familiar with the song.... and have a soft spot for Connie Francis & the like.

While Mandy's version is just a fun moment in the film (with her group Lana & The Lanettes. When is that album going to drop?) like many other things in her career, there's odd sense of synchronicity to her doing this song. While not really 'career saving' in the way the song was for Connie, Mandy's turn in The Princess Diaries did start to open a whole other world of possibilities for her & bring her come much needed visibility to her talents (since her music career was fine, but certainly not necessarily 'flourishing'). The irony wasn't lost on me at the time too, that Mandy was very involved in a lot of 'beach themed' programming at MTV... which was an important part of her overall image at the time. Meta-Mandy... strikes again!

The song also almost serves an an accidental preview to some important moments in the future of Mandy's career. In due time, she would deliver us us a album of cross-generational covers by classic artists (including one song by Brill Building alum Carole King). She would also actually become a Disney Princess in the upcoming years.... Who knew Lana Thomas had such power!? (Maybe villains do win?)

I adored The Princess Diaries when it came out & it really probably helped push Mandy from the 'back burner' of my pop interests to more of a front burner interest. While I used this song a lot for a couple of years in the early 00's, I don't really come back to it much now. It's still sort of special little nugget of noughties nostalgia, that maybe deserved a bit better here, though.

My Score: 7

"Kicking up confetti leaves…"

Sparkle In The Sky

@VivaForever (8) : I occasionally played this on repeat off the Princess Diaries soundtrack (still potentially the best teen-pop album of its time) if I’d tired of the Myra and Nobody’s Angel songs. As a consequence, my parents got significantly less sick of it than those two, but still tired of it. I remembered it as bopping harder than it actually does. ( Oh, Myra! Radio Disney that song to death, but still not enough! I remember they even played 'Stupid Cupid' a few times in the summer one year, when they did some some sort of 'beach party' theme. That channel was so much fun at its peak.)

@Music Is Life (9):
    What a fun bop. Love how she just randomly starts singing this at the beach in the movie. Love the whole 20s/30s jazzy feel of this too. (the '20's/30's jazzy feel'. The original is from the 50's. *scream!* You're killing me, you young whippersnapper!)

Corner of your eye
    @LKane (6) : The princess diaries is one of my fave movies… mostly because of Anne and Julie, but Mandy did a great job as a mean girl…. except for this song which is not the best… ( but is it the 4th worst in her discog? Inquiring minds want to know...)

@Zar-Unity (7.5):
    Haha this is a cute Mandy song. I do love me some quirky Mandy. But aren't these movie songs ultimately just a tease for not having Mandy release a new album? Still, I enjoy this one, even though it does sound a bit cheesy. ( It's lovingly cheesy. It always reminded of the kid of performance a singer might do during '50's week' on American Idol.)

@unnameable (7): pleasant retro goodness ( A little preview to the AMAZING RETRO GOODNESS she gave us with Coverage. Right? )

@RUNAWAY (6.5): I mean, this was honestly just a novelty cover the Princess Diaries soundtrack, so I’m not going to rate it very highly. (The insane thing is this her 25th most scrobbled sonf on Last.fm... and its not even available on some streaming services.)

@Sprockrooster (6), @Robert (6), @tylerc904 (7), @vague (6.25), @Florencia. (7), @Remorque (7.5)

Still Undiscovered
    @ohnostalgia (5): Nostalgia points from The Princess Diaries. (Mandy (& I) will take those.)

@Robsolete (3.5), @ladylloyd (3), @chris4862 (4), @CasuallyCrazed (.25)

For Your Viewing & Listening Pleasure

Actual scene with the song from The Princess Diaries

Mandy Moore on The Princess Diaries 15th anniversary

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  9. For many years I thought that Mandy was playing that character all the time. She used to do this thing with her eyebrow that made her look as a mean girl always haha. I think when she came brunette that changed.

[​IMG]

10. I need you all to do better.

Music Is Death and pop3blow2 like this.
  11. I don't really like any version of that song, but I gave it a few points because The Princess Diaries is iconic.

12. Let's appreciate the unsung hero of the Princess Diaries soundtrack.

Sláy me lasses!

pop3blow2 likes this.
  13. I imagine by now you've figured out a bit of a theme to the reveals.

I thought it'd be fun (since this rate is also a bit of a mini-retrospective of Mandy too) to watch our girl grow up. While there are plenty of pics from the Candy-era & onwards, I had to do a little digging for pics of her as a kid. Luckily, I found a decent amount to get us kickstarted here at the beginning of the rate.

I'll try to change my avatar to correspond to reveal badge photo, so if you see a new pic of Mandy on my avatar the next couple of months... you know there's a new reveal here.

[​IMG]

14. The real gem of the Princess Diaries soundtrack, which I was introduced to by some song contest on here years ago.

LKane, Rem, berserkboi and 6 others like this.
  15. Oh absolutely. If only she weren't a one-album wonder!

Now apparently she's a nanny.

berserkboi, unnameable and pop3blow2 like this.
  16. Yeah, this is the truth. Mandy may very well be my favorite pop star of all-time, but that Myra song got played to death by me for a solid 6 months! I also never tired of its seemingly hourly playings on Radio Disney.

All in all, I really enjoyed both Princess Diaries soundtracks.

berserkboi, vague, unnameable and 2 others like this.
  17. Miracles Happen had no right going off that hard but I was gagged in 2001, just as I am now.

18. Fun fact: Miracles Happen was written by pop geniuses Eliot Kennedy (the Spice Girls' Say You'll Be There and Love Thing; S Club's Bring It All Back and You; Billie's Day & Night and Something Deep Inside; half of Delta's debut) and Pam Sheyne (Kim Wilde's This I Swear; Billie's She Wants You; Christina's Genie in a Bottle; M2M's Mirror Mirror; Successica Simpson's Irresistible; Play's I Must Not Chase the Boys; Brie Larson's She Said; The Sats' Died in Your Eyes - also the voice of Almighty Records' Rochelle!).

@Island, Pam also did the English translation of Lorie's When I Think About You dddddddddddddd.

19. Island

Island Staff Member

Remember that Myra died so Hilary could thrive.

unnameable and pop3blow2 like this.
  20. Hope to get the next reveal (our last in the 80's) out today or tomorrow. I think it will *not be a shocker.

Then next week, we'll get into the 70's... where I can't promise things aren't drama free.

*not be a shocker. Ooops. Forgot a key word.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.