Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!) | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by pop3blow2, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What's your favorite Mandy Moore album

1. So Real

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I Wanne Be With You

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Mandy Moore

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  4. Coverage

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Wild Hope

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  6. Amanda Leigh

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Other (soundtrack, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Yay & welcome!

[​IMG]

Zar-Unity, vague and chris4862 like this.
  2. There's a reason why Mandy offered refunds to fans who bought So Real. Aside from Candy and title track, it's pretty bad. The new songs on I Wanna Be with You were a huge leap ahead, to say nothing of self-titled.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  3. Count me in with this. I don't remember any of her songs and would never classify myself as a fan, but I watched Princess Diaries recently and really enjoyed the song she peed on, Stupid Cupid I think? Anyway, after this I'm sure I'll love her.

Florencia. and pop3blow2 like this.
  4. Yay... glad to have you! Yeah, Stupid Cupid is a fun moment in Princess Diaries.

I imagine there's a good deal of her catalogue you'll love, especially her self-titled third album. It's a 'capital P' Pop treasure.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  5. Good to know! I won't be able to get started on this until next week, but I'm looking forward to it. And I'm glad you're glad to have me!

pop3blow2 likes this.
  6. Count me in!

pop3blow2 likes this.
  7. I’m in for this!

Random question... did her French version of So Real ever end up online?

pop3blow2 likes this.
  8. I feel like a flop fan for only knowing half the extras.

pop3blow2 and berserkboi like this.
  9. Will try very hard to do this but have two full albums and quite a few extras to hear for the first time so apologies in advance if I am last minute.

Remorque, vague and pop3blow2 like this.
  10. So glad to have you @Yeahyeahyeah & @LKane!

To be fair, of the 24 soundtrack songs/extras, at least 10 could be considered pretty 'fringe'. I'm mainly including them to be comprehensive & for some extra conversation (since they tie into some interesting facets of her career.) Many are pretty short & imagine will exit quickly.

Once I got into the mid-70's with the songlist, I reeeaaally wanted to get it to 84 songs! I'm a nerd like that.

11. Welcome! No worries.... I imagine many are in the same boat as you. Last minute ballots will be more than fine. I'll start frantic tagging a couple weeks out, to remind those who expressed interest. Can't wait to see yours & everyone elses score & thoughts!

[​IMG]

12. Be prepared for significant stanning for the self titled and the I Wanna Be With You tracks!

Robert, Remorque, vague and 1 other person like this.
  13. I'm making a list of some people to tag the next couple of days, but I'm fairy certain you wanted to take part @Zar-Unity... Just letting you know the Mandy Moore rate is here now!

Were you interested too, @Mina?

Rate details in the first post. I'd love to have you. (Tag anyone you know on here who loves Mandy, ha!)

vague, Zar-Unity and Music Is Death like this.
  14. @pop3blow2, honey, I've got a question...

Can I 11 the one-two-three-four punch of 17-Cry-Crush-It Only Took a Minute?

Yes?

Well, that's sorted then.

vague and pop3blow2 like this.
  15. [​IMG]

Though I can think of a few I'd like to give out myself the rate, 'Suites' of songs can not be rated as one 11. Haha!

@Remorque be attempting to inject chaos into my first rate. (Welcome by the way!)

vague likes this.
  16. @pop3blow2 Three songs are missing from the PMable list...
    • Love Shot (from So Real)
    • Breaking Us in Two (from Coverage)
    • Healing Incantation (from extras)

Remorque, vague, Zar-Unity and 2 others like this.
  17. Thanks so much @VivaForever ...

Well, crap! That explains where the three songs dispappeared too in my formatting the other day when I was posting my song lists! I was so frustrated because I had meticulously chosen 84 songs & was so confused.

I have rejiggered the PM friendly list & song list. The three songs I scrambled to add were very fringe alternates/add-ons... and more for discussion purposes (as they tie into to a few odd Mandy TV/movie projects). As such, I really didn't plan on them in the original rate. If you rated them, I'm sorry, but please save your thoughts for a couple of random posts/discussions I'm sure will be coming.

I think the proper 84 songs are all accounted for now.

ohnostalgia, vague, Zar-Unity and 4 others like this.
  18. So I actually got to start this earlier than I thought I would, and managed to download her entire debut album as well as I Wanna Be With You, It's Gonna Be Love and It Only Took A Minute. And her debut is actually really enjoyable? I was expecting a hot mess, but it really isn't that bad. I do agree that her voice doesn't seem to be used to the best of her abilities and she seems to be copying some vocal tics of Britney's and Christina's, but I still like it.

19. Oooh, exciting! Glad you're diving in.

Interesting thoughts. One of my favorite things about Popjustice is when people come to a new artist, album, or even genre with a fresh set of ears & share their thoughts.

When I was listening to So Real a few weeks back I even wondered, 'I strongly disliked album 20 years ago, in the heat of Millennium Pop Mania, but if I was hearing it for the first time today would my harsh opinion be as strong?"

Probably not.

Now, some of that is nostalgia clouding my judgement a bit & some of it is simply that once I finally fell in love with Mandy, I probably worked harder to find So Real 'endearing'. (Even though as I've admitted, I kinda retconned I Wanna Be With You as her debut.)

The truth is, I think So Real was rushed by Epic to cash in on teen pop mania & it was a huge disservice to Mandy. When they repackaged some of the best bits of So Real with the front half I Wanna Be With You, I think it was a far better representation of her as an artist & her talents.

That said, a lot of people who grew up at the time have super fond memories of So Real though & listening to it now, I see why. It's charmingly of its era in a certain way & I think it was oddly more important than many (including Mandy herself) realize to the pop landscape. I'll have a lot more to say! If anyone learned anything from my essays in @DJHazey 's great Vanessa Carlton rate, I'm not without words... haha!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    ohnostalgia, Remorque, vague and 5 others like this.
  20. Yeah I think I definitely benefit from having never heard it before, and really loving the sound of the album in general .
    I am expecting it to be her worst, but only cause it seems like the rest of her albums are better.

And I loved your Nessa essays, so I'm sure I'll love your write ups as well.

pop3blow2, Zar-Unity and DJHazey like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.