Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!) | Page 24 | The Popjustice Forum

Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by pop3blow2, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What's your favorite Mandy Moore album

1. So Real

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I Wanne Be With You

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Mandy Moore

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  4. Coverage

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Wild Hope

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  6. Amanda Leigh

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Other (soundtrack, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. When I Talk To You ends the album, are you thinking of that song?

Both From Loving You and When I Talk To You used to be (and I guess still are) my least favourites from the album, although I tend to love a good ballad (hello Your Face). They have both grown on me a lot though in recent months/years.

Zar-Unity likes this.
  2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

[​IMG]

pop3blow2 likes this.
  3. From Loving You is cute, but it's hardly a shame to lose it.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  4. Oh, yes. Apparently I don't even remember From Loving You. Poor dat.
    More than one version of a song can be good.

Robert and pop3blow2 like this.
  5. And so we finally lose are first song from Mandy's self titled. Probably
    the weakest ballad on the album but still stunning in it's small moments.

Robert and pop3blow2 like this.
  6. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Not that one.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  7. [​IMG]

So, just a quick recap of the 'bottom 10' songs as voted by our panel:

#84: Amazing Lucky Scarf
    #83: Healing Incantation
    #82: Singing To The Song Of Life
    #81: Stupid Cupid
    #80: On The Line
    #79: Your Face (@Robert 's 11)
    #78: Quit Breaking My Heart
    #77: Song About Home
    #76: Swept Away
    #75: From Loving You

And with that,...Here’s some tea about the next 10 songs we lose.

> We will lose our second 11 in the next batch of 10. Be ready.
    > After the next batch of 10 eliminations, every song left will have at least a 7 average.
    > One album loses three songs within the next 10 elims. Yikes.

Also, here in a couple of elims, as adorable as they are, we'll shift out of 'Mandy as a kid' pictures for the reveal graphics (as I've exhausted my supply) As such, we'll enter the So Real era of Mandy photography. Get ready for butterfly hair clips, lip gloss, & blonde hair (otherwise known as the early 00's in pop!)

8. Me too! I loved that song, specially being in a Sandra Bullock movie. What a complement.

'From Loving you' is a grower I think

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  9. Honestly, I feel like you're my PJ soulmate.
    (Sorry, it's taken me a while to catch up across the forum.)

pop3blow2 and berserkboi like this.
  10. Random, but I'm binge watching Hannah Montana again (cause why not) and Mandy Moore gets mentioned in the second episode cause Miley is trying to get Oliver to transfer his obsession from Hannah to her. So that explains one source where I heard her name as a kid.

Florencia. and pop3blow2 like this.
  11. [​IMG]

"Love You For Always" | 6.739

Rated 74th out of 84 total songs

Rated 14th out of 16 on So Real/I Wanna Be With You

Chart info or stats:

The 38th most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm

Liner Notes

Written by: Tony Battaglia & Shaun Fisher
    Produced by: The Wasabees

track 12 from So Real released December 7, 1999.

"My own parade…"
    "1-2-3-4..."

So, let me just get this out there: This song is incredibly vanilla. It's cliche. It's likely a rip-off of multiple other pop songs. It's even full of production gimmicks & some early 'Mandy-by-numbers' moments that should make me roll my eyes.

….and still... there’s something about it.

Actually, there’s a few things I really like here.

As cheesy as they are, I like the absurd “1,2,3,4” count-ins before the verses. Oh no, it wasn’t enough to just start the song with them. No, they had to plug them into the song in a couple other places too. That was certainly a choice. (A choice that makes me smile.)

As I, and others so far have stated,
    So Real makes no attempt to hide that it’s blatantly ‘inspired’ ( ie ‘copying’) other songs of the moment in late 90’s/early 00’s pop. This was something that annoyed me a bit at the time. Just how mostly vanilla & even copycat some of the song were. Over time though, I found more to like on the album & now nostalgia makes a lot of this album fun to revisit occasionally.

'Love You For Always' skates along on a pretty basic r&b/pop groove, of the day. It’s sort of ‘Walk Me Home’ with a beat. It’s all pretty well produced, though. I’m a sucker for electric piano & since that’s a driving instrument here, I got on board more quickly with this, more so than some other songs on the album. This track is one of the highlights of The Wasabees production on
    So Real, to me. It's fairly simple, smooth, & if the song was a bit better and/or 'punchier', it might not have even been a horrible single choice.

Mandy’s harmony vocals are on point here & there’s some weird little vocal runs in places that are really fun & start to lift the song out of the 'complete filler zone' for me. The thing that finally seals the deal & makes this an 8 to me (& thus a ‘sparkle in the sky’) is the ‘I’m gonna love you for always’ tag at the end of chorus. Now, I'm pretty sure this is blatantly 'inspired' by Backstreet Boys’ ‘I Want It That Way’, but hey, that song is amazing. So, if you’re nick something from a great pop song of the era, go for the gold! That little chorus tag has the same cadence & 'cry' as that song. That style of chorus tag, where the title of the song was presented in such a melodic little nugget, was such a thing in that era of pop.

Let me be clear, 'Love You For Always' is in no way as good as 'I Want It That Way', but as an R&B/pop ballad in that same sphere, it's a win for me on album with a lot of misses. We also get Mandy doing one of her hushed spoken work outros here, ala ' I Wanna Be With You'. (Of course we do!)

So we end up with a song full of cliches, copycat production, & dime-a-dozen early 00's pop gimmicks... and you know what...
    I'm gonna love it for always.

My Score: 8

"Kicking up confetti leaves…"

Sparkle In The Sky
    @Remorque (10) ..... (!!!! tell me more, tell me more)
    @Zar-Unity (9.8): I remember this song also sounding a bit like end album filler but
    the more I listened to this song, the more I enjoyed it and didn't mind it. A very dreamy tune where Mandy's vocals dominate and work so well with the musical production, the chill beat and those cool vocal effects in
    the background. This one I also remembering playing very loud all the time on my CD player and boombox, and sometimes annoying my brothers with this song haha. (they hated pop music, still do now) But this song worked well enough as the album closing track if you don't count the quit breaking my heart reprise, which I don't really. Despite this last track playing off as filler somewhat, it has still remained one of my personal favorites from Mandy's early output and from her So real album, so my rating will still end up being quite high. (How can you not count the that pretty reprise as the closer!? Ha! I understand the filler concerns. Much like you, it passes the bar for me to not feel that way about it.)

@Robsolete (8)

Corner of your eye
    @chris4862 (7.5): One of the strongest of the non-singles for me (It really is. I may or may not have rated it higher than the actual singles from the album. We'll just have to see.)
    @LKane (7.5): I like the melody in this one… just not the choruses. (Surely you like the little tag on the chorus: 'I'm gonna love you for always'? Right?)

@ohnostalgia (7): She's cute. ( but not boring right? Right?)

@Music Is Life (7.5): Cute, but boring. (oh... I see. @Music Is Life... with the dagger)

@unnameable (7): I know it’s compulsory for popular musical artists to have a song about a “forever love”, but surely at some point reality must set in? Maybe it’s just older, slightly more bitter, me can’t relate to some of this material anymore. (Mandy is such an old soul, I doubt she even believed a lot of the lyrics on the album at 15. )

@vague (6): is there an interpolation of Selena's "Dreaming of You" in the chorus? according to the credits on Wiki, no, but, like, the vocal melody is very similar, if not identical, and the lyrics are nearly identical, too, so i guess it's just ripping it off... so that bugs me, and then the song's pretty weak, otherwise, imo. (Fascinating. This song always reminded me of a bunch of songs... but I don't think Selena ever popped into my head. If I ever launch my musical CSI show where songs are dissected to hear the other songs they remind us of... you're hired!)

@Sprockrooster (6), @tylerc904 (7.5),

Still Undiscovered
    @Florencia. (5): Cute, simple, boring. Not as boring as the previous ones though (Cute & boring strikes again. "1,2,3,4...)

@RUNAWAY (5): the cliche sappy ballad as the closer? Really? I love that she said she’d love to give a refund to everyone that bought this album. The album tracks on this album are completely disposable. (This song is one of the high points of the album to me. How So Real is viewed by everyone, including Mandy, is interesting to me. )

@VivaForever (4), @Robert (5), @ladylloyd (5)

@CasuallyCrazed (5.5)

For Your Viewing & Listening Pleasure

Possible songs 'Love You For Always' is ripping off inspired by

Exhibit A: from me.

Exhibit B (As submitted by @vague )

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    Florencia., Zar-Unity, LKane and 8 others like this.
  12. I'm low-key scared at how mostly well this is going for me.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  13. Yeah, I'm doing pretty good here so far, too.

So far.

vague and Music Is Death like this.
  14. Aww.. I always feel so sad with that Selena song :(

Mandy's song is kind of a grower as @Zar-Unity said. I actually rated it way lower in the beginning but somehow it got stuck in my head as many other Mandy songs.

vague, pop3blow2 and Zar-Unity like this.
  15. Okay, even though "love you for always" is somewhat album filler, I
    still feel very strongly like it should have done a lot better than this.
    The melody is rich and it plays like a soothing lullaby and a good farewell
    to So real.

I can tell that @pop3blow2 was kinda struggling with his write up
    on Love you for always, even though his thoughts on the song
    were very detailed as always because he used the word "cliche"
    more than once to describe the songs production.

It's funny but in a sweet sentimental way I have always thought of
    the guy phoning in the 1, 2, 3 ,4 numbers in the background of the song
    being the ups guy or whatever guy that worked for some mailing service
    back in the late 90's that first heard Mandy singing and told some people
    about her voice at Epic. Like he is clearly cheering her on and I know I
    would be too after hearing her gorgeous, angelic voice.

LKane and pop3blow2 like this.
  16. Yeah, it was more a struggle with the fact my brain knows that all the stuff in that song is as cliche as you can get... and that if the song was just a little bit better it could somehow be great. Couple that with the fact that even though all that is true, it's still among my faves on So Real.... and yeah, the song is a struggle. I do like it, though despite everything.

There's a few songs left on So Real that are a challenge to me as a Mandy fan, but we'll get through it!

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Florencia., Robsolete, vague and 4 others like this.
  17. Love You For Always is a bit like From Loving You for me in the sense that I liked the song but tended to like most of the other album tracks more. It has also grown a lot on me recently too.
    However, I must have liked it reasonably well back in the day as it’s the track that gave me the idea for my fansite’s name.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  18. I'm having a yard sale this weekend (my house is chaos), so it'll likely be Sunday before the next elimination. (I like this pic of Mandy with her cat as my avatar anyways!)

The next reveal is the one that hurts the most, personally, of the elims so far. So, what does that mean? Well, that means be prepared for the fist big pop3blow2 'Vanessa-Carlton-Rate-esque' essay of this rate. Trust me, there will be more, but whew, I did some typing on this next one.

19. [​IMG]

"Help Me" | 6.831

Rated 73th out of 84 total songs

Rated 12th out of 12 on Coverage

Chart info or stats:

The 74th most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm

Liner Notes

Written by: Joni Mitchell
    Produced by: John Fields

track 12 from Coverage released October 21, 2003.

"My own parade…"

"Before Prozac there was Joni Mitchell"

'The sun like butterscotch poured through the windows' Her songs and lyrics calmed the mind of a turbulent panic stricken generation, it was said of her that before Prozac there was the thrilling falsetto of Joni Mitchell. (source)

As you know, this is my first rate as host. I’m learning a lot. One thing I’m coming to terms with is just because you know the results, doesn’t make doing some of these eliminations any ‘easier’.

Also, as you know, I make no bones about Coverage being my favorite Mandy album. In fact, Coverage is arguably my favorite album of all-time & certainly my favorite pop album. The only album that bothers it as my all-time fave is the Manic Street Preachers’: The Holy Bible, one of the darkest rock albums ever made. (Maybe an odd combo for an all-time top 2, but hey, what are you gonna do?)

I heard that quote above about Joni, many years ago & it always stuck with me. Apparently it was overheard when a fan met Joni & told her that. It’s not meant to downplay anyone’s legit mental illness or mental health. It’s more about how the power of art can get us through stuff. That’s the main reason art exists at all, as far as I can tell. The irony of that quote in context of this song for me, is that Coverage is the album that saw through me a deep tunnel of depression in my life. That Mandy covers Joni on the album, is only fitting to me. She had to be part of this album, for so many reasons.

Now the fact that Coverage ranks so highly in my life doesn’t mean I think it’s perfect. There are a couple of stumbles & overly ambitious choices that are up for question. There also a couple of 'overly safe' choices. I think it all balances out to a near perfect record in the end. That said, 'Help Me', is one of only 2 Coverage songs I ranked under 9. So, even as the rate’s absolute stan for this album, I guess even I can admit it’s a weaker moment on the album, but is it really? There’s no way I’d consider ‘Help Me’ the 73rd place song in Mandy’s discog, though. Let’s talk this through.

It’s weird, I like Joni Mitchel, but will contend I’m not the as well-versed in her catalogue as I’d like to be. I do know that if you’re gonna cover her, you need to do it right though. A lot of covers of her songs just miss for me.

The truth is one thing that kept me from going on huge Joni-binges in my youth was her voice. It’s unique, but I found I only enjoyed it small doses, in comparison to some others. I preferred Carly Simon, Carly Simon, & even Laura Nyro more when I went on my big ’70’s woman singer/songwriter binge in my youth (that @Lila rate in the queue is gonna be something. Whew.) As such, I didn't initially spend quite as much time with Joni as some of the together 'big 70's ladies', but did find myself loving many of her songs & songwriting. Eventually, I came around & started listening to Joni more & more, because her draw is real.

So, taking some of that into account, in theory, I should love people with ‘voices I care more for’ covering Joni. That’s not always the case though, as many times I find singers can’t translate the same soul into her songs as she can. She has such a singular voice, it’s hard to give others a chance sometimes. Mandy does Joni justice though. While it was always one of the weaker moments on the album to me, none of that has to do with Mandy’s actual singing… which is fantastic on the song. A lot of it was that was that it just felt a bit out of place sonically compared to some stuff on Coverage.

I mean, look… Mandy had to do a Joni song here. I think she really felt that. She's not only an important lady from that era, but seemingly to Mandy in general. She tackled the ‘big three’ on the record (Carole King, Joni Mitchel, & Carly Simon). With Joni though, I always thought it weird how close she & John Fields stay to the original arrangement of the song. It felt a bit safe, in comparison to the rest of the album.

Even the actual song choice was a bit safe. to me. I mean, it wasn’t; ‘Big Yellow Taxi’ safe, but ‘Help Me’ is Joni’s biggest US hit & among her most recognizable songs. I sort wish the song choice had been a bit more adventurous. In context of where she was at in her career & the overall spirit of the album, I always thought Mandy should’ve done ‘You Turn Me On I’m A Radio’. (embedded below) It’d been great if some fresh production had been injected into to that… & even made it a single. Look, I’ve thought about this album was too much, ok?

From a track sequencing standpoint, I aways thought 'Help Me' was a bit out of place, too. I really wish the that Mandy had put the big three ladies together in sequence. Just some nitpicking from someone who has listened to the album literally thousands of times. If there’s any reason I dinged it some, it’s for these reasons.

It wasn’t until years later that I realized the full effect of Mandy’s take on this song. It was arguably the song on 'Coverage' where I think she was laying the groundwork for how she actually wanted to sound as an artist. When Wild Hope rolled along four years later, listening to ‘Help Me’ in retrospect was an ‘aha, moment’. She paid tribute to many artists on Coverage by covering them, but with ‘Help Me’, she stayed close the source material because it just wasn’t just merely a tribute… it was showing who she actually wanted to be as an artist. It just took her a few more years to get there.

Oh, but surely I’m reading too much into all of this. (That, is highly possible!) I do know this though, when she toured behind Wild Hope, about the only songs she ever sang live that weren’t from Wild Hope were: her ‘rock version’ of Candy, 'Moonshadow', & 'Help Me'.

Wild Hope, Amanda Leigh, & even her song 'Invisible Ink' probably have way more in common with Joni as a musical strain than any other artist she covered on Coverage. So, in that respect, I think she knew what she was doing. Coverage was her break out moment as an individual artist & the fact that ‘Help Me’ is one of the only songs from the album that would sit comfortably on her later albums is no accident.

I’m not sure I could give this song an A (which is a 9 or higher in my book), because I just seldom hear any Joni cover that is a 9. Mandy gets as close anyone though, & arguably even out sings Joni in a couple of spots. That’s something. And the inspiration she draws upon this song for her future musical is special indeed.... and seems personal.

My Score: 8.7

"Kicking up confetti leaves…"

Sparkle In The Sky
    @Zar-Unity (10):
    This is her best cover to me on Coverage! Just outstanding! Everything from the musical production to Mandy's incredible vocal performance is just amazing! Such beautiful care went into this cover, making it sound very authentic yet still modern at the same time. It is not only very engaging lyrically but quite catchy at the same time. I remember even people that weren't fans of Mandy telling me that Help me was a great cover by Mandy! When I would jam to this album frequently, Help me was always the song that I was most looking forward to come on playing loud. Mandy sells this one so well! You already know that I gave this cover a perfect 10. I checked out some of Joni Michell's music and the album that this song was from and I did find her music enjoyable overall, but quite heavy lyrically, but I learned that this was part of her charm. What a great song Mandy picked to cover here! Joni Michell is indeed quite a big talent of her own! Maybe someday I will return to hear more of her music.
    (Yes, I'm sure several here could give you some Joni recommendations, when you're ready! While I don't think this is her best cover on the album, it very well might be the most important... for reasons stated.)

@RUNAWAY (10): JONI. JONI JONI JONI. I love Joni, and I love Mandy doing Joni. This cover is absolutely stunning. (It really is a stunning vocal, truth be told.)

@chris4862 (8): Not initially a favourite of until she performed it when I saw her live during the “Wild Hope” tour and I found a new appreciation for it. (This is comment made me happy. Because I as mentioned above, when her later albums came out you really hear how it signaled where she wanted to go as an artist.)

@Music Is Life (9.5): Okay, wait at the relatability of this. I love it, and really connect to the lyrics. I don't think I need to keep saying this but I'm going to anyway: I love the production. (I'd love to hear Mandy sing this now, with all she's gone through the last decade. My goodness... her relatability to the song might me off the chart now.)

@Florencia. (9)

Corner of your eye
    @ohnostalgia (6.5): Covering Joni Mitchell, let alone a beloved Joni Mitchell classic, is always going to be a huge risk. Joni’s voice is so integral to the melodic structure of her songs, you know? Unlike her Carole King cover, adding a beefed up orchestra does Mandy no favours. Don’t get me wrong, by no means is this bad. I just hate when artists unnecessarily complicate Joni covers (looking at you Vanessa Carlton and your Counting Crows). (Your commentary is on point. Between yours & @chris4862's ... you both capture the push-pull this song has had on me over the years.)

@unnameable (7): Showing us the direction she would go in her later career, this is perfectly pleasant. (Despite this song leaving way too early, comments like this are giving me life.... and mink this elimination bearable.)

@VivaForever (6): Redefining 'unmemorable'. (We're talking about my favorite pop album of all time, here. So, you can imagine that commentary doesn't compute!)

@Robsolete (7), @ladylloyd (6), @vague (7.75), @Remorque (6)

Still Undiscovered
    @LKane (4): This one is boring. (@LKane dropping a 'boring bomb' on my beloved Coverage! *sigh*)

@Sprockrooster (5), @tylerc904 (5), @Robert (3), @CasuallyCrazed (4.5)

For Your Viewing & Listening Pleasure

Rare, live version by Mandy

"JONI. JONI. JONI. JONI" . [email protected]

And finally a plug for @Seventeen Days Michelle Branch Rate (vote by June 10)... which includes her cover of Joni's 'Case of You' . I've been listening to a lot Michelle & Joni, so it seemed fitting to share this... because I like it.

20. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Even though I don’t really enjoy Mandy’s Help Me, it didn’t deserve to go out this early. It’s not even the worst cover on the album!!! The worst cover will probably go far because people stan the original, but it’s a downright train wreck.

Love the insight about Help Me leading into Wild Hope.

Zar-Unity and pop3blow2 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.