Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!) | Page 25 | The Popjustice Forum

Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by pop3blow2, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What's your favorite Mandy Moore album

1. So Real

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I Wanne Be With You

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Mandy Moore

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  4. Coverage

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Wild Hope

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  6. Amanda Leigh

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Other (soundtrack, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I do love how this rate sidelined into discussion about M2M for a couple of days... and then immediately sidelined into some Joni Mitchell discussion (even before the elimination of Mandy's Joni cover happened.)

Gawd I love how random Mandy Moore is!

(let's not even talk about the fact that she also wrote some lost songs with Michelle Branch for Wild Hope.
    Colliding worlds everywhere.)

When will your faves? Haha!

Also, just to show the power of Mandy + Joni + @ohnostalgia when I was getting together some images for my next batch of 'reveal badges'... look what showed up in my Google Image search for Mandy.

Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 11.36.38 PM.png

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    LKane, VivaForever, Robsolete and 5 others like this.
  2. I can't believe you all did Your Face so dirty!

Zar-Unity, Robert and pop3blow2 like this.
  3. Lila

Lila Staff Member

Thank you so much for the shout out, @pop3blow2! Help Me was actually the song I gravitated to from Coverage when I was deciding whether or not to do the rate since Joni is my ride or die. I actually think it’s a fairly solid cover, but I completely agree that Joni covers in general are a little redundant, especially of her most famous songs. The recent birthday concert album proves that rule — the best songs on it are complete revisions of some of her least well known works, and the artists who do cover her bigger hits generally fare less well overall.

I don’t want to derail the thread too much, but I hope anyone who liked Help Me participates in the rate! We won’t be rating Help Me, but we will be scoring I Feel the Earth Move by Carole King, which I believe is also on Coverage.

4. No problem...Excited for your rate! Joni popping up all over some threads on here in recent months. Her power.

Mandy was at that Joni 75th birthday celebration last fall. I hoped she would sing, but alas she didn't.

vague, Lila and RUNAWAY like this.
  5. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Right, I still need to listen to that and tell you my thoughts.

Lila likes this.
  6. Lila

Lila Staff Member

It’s definitely worth a listen! Two of the best covers on it are versions of Dreamland and Nothing Can Be Done, two fairly deep cuts, by Los Lobos with a singer I’d never heard of called La Marisoul. The Brandi Carlisle & Kris Kristofferson version of A Case Of You was really lovely in the documentary but it doesn’t work as well simply because you can’t quite capture the ramshackle nature of the performance in audio. I’d say the only ‘big’ cover that really works is Seal’s version of Both Sides Now, but I suspect that might be an acquired taste.

pop3blow2, RUNAWAY and ohnostalgia like this.
  7. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Judy Collins already gave me the definitive cover of Both Sides Now anyway. A very rare case where I prefer the cover over the original.

VivaForever, pop3blow2 and Lila like this.
  8. I think the fact that I don't know the original for any of the songs on Coverage except for One Way Or Another was a good thing, because I based the songs on their own merits instead of comparing them to the original. Help Me should not be out yet and you all suck.

And since it was brought up, I love Carly's version of Both Sides Now. Oh and I plan on trying to participate in @Lila's rate.

LKane, Zar-Unity, Lila and 2 others like this.
  9. THANK YOU!

Zar-Unity and pop3blow2 like this.
  10. Ok so I have a confession... I don’t actually know the original version of Help Me. I think that can sometimes help with covers if you don’t know the original to compare it to. However, Help Me does very little for me (sorry!). Hence me being the lowest rater of the song. I still rated a couple of Coverage tracks lower than it though...

pop3blow2 likes this.
  11. After me being on your side for 'Your Face'! I see how it is.

vague, VivaForever and Robert like this.
  12. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Well, not really. I think in order to truly evaluate a cover you need to know the original so that you pick out the decisions Mandy made. Then you know whether they worked or not. I’m more likely to give a higher score to a cover that truly transforms the song than a straight forward re-recording. I actually sought out every song on the track list and listened to the original for that reason. So I rated the covers on their own merit. Their merit being, is this an interesting cover?

vague, pop3blow2 and Music Is Death like this.
  13. Haha. This is part of what is making this rate so interesting though. You rated just two songs on Coverage below a 9, I rated all the songs between 1-9! Such a different scoresheet.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  14. We just have different strategies then. I never really think about the original when I'm listening to a cover, cause I just try to enjoy the song itself.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  15. Since I'm a nerd, I obviously geek out over Coverage for many reasons. As such, I was gonna be super curious as to how people would approach rating my favorite pop album. Covers are maybe a different beast to rate & Mandy's collection was a potentially career defining moment (whereas some artists just do covers albums 'for fun' or to keep the creative juices going between projects; Mandy's was a deliberate moment of artistic growth.)

Since I was familiar with all the songs on my first ever listen of Coverage, I never had the pov of not immediately comparing. Hearing that some people rate covers with no point of reference is interesting.

I wrote a bigger thing here, because I am me... but I'll just filter some of those thoughts into other Coverage content throughout the rate. Needless to say, I love reading your thoughts about Coverage, even if I'm not 100% on board.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  16. I can't believe that "help me" is already out! WTF! Help me should
    have made top ten! Are you kidding me!?

17. Remember when I accidentally got everybody in the Carly rate pissed off at me for saying that Judy's version was the original? I'm still not over it. And I still say I was right since hers was the first one officially released.

ohnostalgia, pop3blow2 and Lila like this.
  18. Lila

Lila Staff Member

I actually kind of agree with you on this. You could say the same about Chelsea Morning and Urge for Going too, the latter of which wasn’t released in a studio version by Joni until 1996!

19. Yeah, I imagine how I felt tallying the scores! I was like, 'oh, this can't be right... *double checks scores* --- ugh'. That said, 'Help Me' was always pretty much towards bottom, as the ballots came in, & always the lowest song from Coverage, though.

At least it's inspired some good talk about Joni. I think Mandy would be on board with that.

20. Boy, that’s a generous reading.

vague, ohnostalgia and pop3blow2 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.