Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!) | Page 27 | The Popjustice Forum

Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by pop3blow2, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What's your favorite Mandy Moore album

1. So Real

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I Wanne Be With You

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Mandy Moore

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  4. Coverage

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Wild Hope

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  6. Amanda Leigh

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Other (soundtrack, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Everblue out ALREADY? Tragic. At least we got that amazing write up to make up for it.

2. I wasn't necessarily trying to compare the two directly; it was just the first non-ballad peak Disney song that I thought of, so I linked it as an epitome of how Disney sounded during the Renaissance. That being said, the reason it occurred to me was that I once read a theory of how Disney movies are put together, and one of the elements is an "I Want" song, which would be "Belle" in Beauty and the Beast and "When Will My Life Begin?" in Tangled. Other examples would be "Almost There" in The Princess and the Frog and "Part of Your World" in The Little Mermaid (and "Proud of Your Boy" in Aladdin if it hadn't been cut).

pop3blow2 likes this.
  3. [​IMG]

My Own Parade: Special Edition

Mandy Moore: Cover Queen (Part 1)

Quick quiz. There are 84 songs in this rate. How many songs do you think are covers? Here's some Jeopardy music to help you think.

Obviously there are the 12 songs from Coverage, but…

what if I told you there are 9 more in the rate. That’s right, 21 songs in this rate are covers. Exactly 1/4.

1. Let Me Be The One (Five Star)
    2. Everything My Heart Desires (Adam Rickitt)
    3. Stupid Cupid (Connie Francis)
    4. Only Hope (Switchfoot)
    5. Someday We'll Know (New Radicals)
    6. Secret Love (Doris Day)
    7. God Only Knows (Beach Boys)
    8. Umbrella (Rihanna)
    9. Willin' (Linda Ronstadt via Little Feat)
    + the whole Coverage album, of course.

I have no idea if that’s a ‘record’ in a rate, but it has to be up there.

I find this interesting, but it’s something I realized about Mandy a long time ago. At the end of 2003, after she had just released Coverge, she dropped a beautiful version of Doris Day’s ‘Seceret Love’ on the Mona Lisa Smile soundtrack. Rather than be like, ‘oh look. another cover. meh’. I was like, ‘Oh look, another cover!’. In that moment, I realized Mandy Moore was an artist out of time. That thought only grew over the ensuing years, adding to more levels to a pop album I find captivating on so many levels.

This post is maybe a bit of a ramble, but stay with me. I have a lot of pieces to put together, in regards to my favorite album, as this rate unfolds.

The concept of cover songs has had an up & down history in popular music. Through the 1920’s -1950’s, it was a legitimate art form & craft. There were singers & there were songwriters. Sometimes multiple good singers would want to sing the same song & it was no thing for several versions of a song to get recorded, or even chart, concurrently. It was usually considered an honor to have your song covered by someone else. (it also made you more money via publishing rights!)

To be fair, there were dubious uses of cover music in the early rock era. For some labels having more recognizable (read 'safe') white artists cover popular r&b songs by black artists (usually ruining them…dddd) was a thing. In other instances labels would try to undercut each other by releasing several versions of the same song, using payola & other sketchy ways to have their versions chart higher. Even worse, knock off versions of songs would be made to try & trick unsuspecting record buyers. It was a nasty business sometimes.

The idea of ‘authenticity through singing your own material’ didn’t start to permeate the culture of popular music until the mid-60’s. This started to muddy up the concept of covers. Artists started to want to record their own songs & even up to today, there are still some sects of people that 'look down' at singers that don't write their own music. It's part of the weird 'authenticity policing' that started to marginalize the ideas of covers some during this era & some never let go of.

Through the the 70’s, 80’s & even 90’s, more continued emphasis was put on artists that wrote & produced their own music. Covers certainly still happened during these decades & some were even huge hits, but the idea of great singers & great songwriters had blurred a lot... into a sometime mediocre ball of artists that probably should've been doing one or the other (That’s a whole other ball of wax.), Many times covers would still show up as b-sides on singles or on live albums, but they were not nearly as common as they are today. Again, this seems to play into some bullshit notion of authenticity & of filling an album with as much original content as possible. Covers as an art form or tribute, weren't really pervasive on the charts or in the public consciousness.

Heading into the 00’s, samples were becoming the 'new covers'. This might've actually been an interesting turning point in the 'covers culture' that leads us today (which is all part of the diy 'cut & paste' aesthetic that the internet also ushered in.) I think samples proved that people no only brace for familiarity, but also like to reminded of older songs more than maybe they realize. Samples were little nuggets of nostalgia being fed back to us. They were hip & fun..and we ate them up in pop music. Covers, in the classic sense though, seemed somewhat old fashioned & in some circles even somewhat resigned to the pathetic singing show contests of the world.

I’m, of course, being facetious with that last sentence. I love singing competitions. Especially in the early 00’s when America Idol launched. My love of the such shows even placed my own opinion about covers into a quandary, though. The reality, is that for much of my youth, I too thought covers a bit pointless. This was mainly my own ego & stuck-up-edness. I came down on the side that if you get 12 tracks on an album, why spend any of them singing some old song. I want to hear your music & what you have to say. I remember being initially irritated that Jeff Buckley ‘wasted’ several tracks on his landmark album Grace with covers, rather than give me new songs. I was an idiot. Keep in mind that I love old songs, so that idea/opinion makes no sense. I don’t pretend to understand my own logic sometimes, especially when I was younger! (And Jeff Buckley’s 'Hallelujah' is the only version of that song that needs to exist. I digress.)

American Idol, of all things, made me start to (mostly) like hearing interpretations of other people’s songs. I got sucked into that show… hard. One reason Coverage’s commercial failure was so perplexing to me, is that Mandy sort of had her finger on the pulse of so many converging concepts in pop music in the early 00’s with the whole project. Shows like American Idol started to popularize the idea of covers again, as a viable piece of recorded music. Millions of downloads of American Idol, etc contestants singing covers were sold over the ensuing years. The reality is that when done right, covers are an art form where you use someone else's song as a vessel to speak your truth. Mandy Moore helped me finally understand that.

Maybe she was actually a bit ahead of the curve (that woman out of time stuff again.) American Idol was just a year old when Coverage launched. Had it come out a year or two later, I think the idea of Mandy ‘Candy’ Moore doing some fairly brave interpretations of 70’s & 80’s songs would’ve connected more with people. As the seasons of American Idol, X-factor, & other singing shows progressed, the contestants got more & more ambitious with their song choices & interpretations. This concept hit fever pitch in the late 00's with the popularity of Glee, where every week a new creative cover topped the iTunes chart.

I legit believe Coverage is a landmark album & early signifier of a whole era of music. Mandy did that.

She said in 2000-freaking-3, when asked about recording Coverage in a garage:

"Artists & musicians are making records in their bedrooms now. I wanted to have a bit of the homegrown feel on the album, as well."

I mean, again, she so had her finger on the pulse. Only a few years later it would be the norm for aspiring artists to even start to bypass singing competitions & just post their music directly to YouTube.... many of those aspiring artists using cover versions of popular songs as a way to gain fans. Full circle.

I have soooooo many more thoughts about Coverage ,but this is a good place to end part one in my Coverage essays. More reveals will be happening soon, but before we moved forward, I wanted to get one ‘cover focused’ write-up out of my head!

I've loved everyone's thoughts & commetary in the rate so far, so if you have any thoughts about covers in relation to Mandy or just in general, please share. I've really enjoyed geeking out over some weird, but oddly Mandy-relevant topics thus far.

Be well.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  4. Oh, gotcha! Belle is an amazing example of the 'I Want Song'. (Actually the whole Belle opening scene is a masterpiece.) My fave 'I Want Song' is still 'Part Of Your World', though. Goosebumps, to this day.

I'd put 'When Will My Life Begin' in conversation as a personal fave, though. It's just so sonically different for a Disney film.... (and has Mandy singing). I realize my opinion might be unreliable on this, since my stan goggles are glued to my face when discussing Tangled, but I think the soundtrack is actually under rated.

Little Mermaid is my all-time fave Disney soundtrack though: score, songs, the works.

Music Is Death and vague like this.
  5. I had no idea Only Hope was a cover

pop3blow2 likes this.
  6. Me whenever I remember the embarrassing, terrible op-ed I wrote in my junior high newspaper about how there were too many cover songs in the world.

Covers are great and people who mindlessly hate on them are hipster losers who need to find some chill. You can't change my mind.jpg
    Let's not forget one of the most genuinely amazing instances of this, operating in reverse, with Rick Astley's cover of that song of a thousand covers, When I Fall in Love:
    The real kii? The PSB song in question was a cover of another song of a thousand covers, Always on My Mind, also released for an anniversary, namely the tenth anniversary of Elvis' death.

Robert, Music Is Death, vague and 2 others like this.
  7. Regarding "Hallelujah" - I'm pretty sure that it's not the only version that needs to exist - we really needed the original version by Leonard Cohen, his writing over 80 verses while trying to get it to work, and his work being adored by lovers of the melancholy for years for the song to exist. We also need John Cale doing the first cover of it 1991, thereby inspiring Jeff Buckley, who then in turn inspires more people, one of whom then puts it on the Shrek soundtrack, leading to the situation today where we have 300 plus covers.

All because Mr Cohen had something to express and wouldn't let it go until he had it written.

8. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I like covers where I can tell the artist tried. If it's just a rote re-recording I'm not usually into it.

9. That's tea, actually.

10. This is is all true. I really didn't mean to sound so dismissive of the original or even a handful of other covers I've heard outside of Jeff Buckley's that I like. I was mainly just half-joking that we really don't need anymore... (who knows, though, maybe someone will surprise me.) I do think my eyes glaze over sometimes now, though, when I'm watching a singing show or something & the contestant launches into Hallelujah. I have a similar feeling when someone tries to do 'I Will Always Love You'.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I think Leonard Cohen felt the same way to be honest.

12. Actually he was quite philosophical about it - he commented that it was like his song "Bird on a wire", when a song reaches a certain level of familiarity where everyone performs it, it becomes a "standard" and it's no longer your song, but part of the world's musical heritage.

13. That's an interesting perspective from the songwriter. I don't really disagree with that sentiment on a certain level. That said, the court of public opinion does sometimes decide that a definitive version of a song has been done (at least within a certain era, I guess) & sometimes tires of repeated of attempts at a certain song. I'll admit that idea is a moving target, though... and I guess ties back into the concept that if a song is going to be covered to death, it might be best to freshen up your version in new ways. (so people's eyes or ears don't glaze over.) Or have the confidence that your voice/vocal will define the song in new ways.

I usually end up here with covers : Either cover a song because you love the song & your voice is so distinct & amazing you can do a 'note-for-note' cover you think it will blow people away. Or take the other route & do a cover is a true artistic twist on the original. This is riskier sometimes, but I like the creativity involved in this route.

14. Get into the Dalida Rate thread, then! :p

vague likes this.
  15. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I have like four rates I’m trying to vote in, PJOPs, and a rate I’m hosting!!!!

16. Reading is FUNDAMENTAL!!!

(Vote for me in PJ Retro!!)

ohnostalgia likes this.
  17. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I’m already days late to the eliminations in this one, let me live!!!!!!!!

18. Please help me... I read this in a Taylor Swift 'cheerleader cadence'.

19. Try this visual instead:

[​IMG]

vague, ohnostalgia and pop3blow2 like this.
  20. Wow, Everblue already out, that's a shame. I had no idea
    of how much expression was behind such a beautiful, bittersweet song.
    Thank you @pop3blow2 for the amazing write up, even though it ended up
    triggering you some. It's okay, your Mandy Moore fan support is here, we are
    all with you for this wonderful, thrilling ride that is queen Mandy.

I never listened to Ryan Adams music but he sure did have a crazy collection
    of pinball machines in his house, which I believe was one of the main reasons
    that Mandy fell for him and decided to move into his place. Okay all kidding aside
    but I still remember that epic pinball post on Mandy's twitter and her over
    joyed facial expression.

It saddens my heart to hear about what Mandy was going through then
    and how it was probably a good reason why she later stopped making
    music for a while, but I'm glad she overcame it and is now in a better place in her
    life than she has been in a long while. I'm happy for her big success
    with This is us. I wish they had the early seasons on nbc to watch but
    what can you do. I need to watch more of that show.

Robert, Music Is Death, vague and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.