Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!) | Page 28 | The Popjustice Forum

Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by pop3blow2, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What's your favorite Mandy Moore album

1. So Real

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I Wanne Be With You

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Mandy Moore

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  4. Coverage

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Wild Hope

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  6. Amanda Leigh

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Other (soundtrack, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Super busy with some work stuff at the start of this week, but I should have #69 posted soon (hopefully tomorrow.)

Also, I've been watching a lot of This Is Us. I really like it. Would I have ever watched it had Mandy not been on it? Maybe not. But the cast is really good & I'm elated she has gotten such accolades for it. She deserves it. She does make me cry on this show, too & gives me all kinds of feels. My gawd, Mandy.... whhhyyyy

Robert, Music Is Death, vague and 2 others like this.
  2. [​IMG]

"Willin'" | 6.889

Rated 69th out of 84 total songs

Rated 14th out of 21 Soundtracks & Extras

Chart info or stats:

The 102nd most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm

Liner Notes

Written by: Lowell George
    Produced by: Eve Nelson

track 3 from the This Is Us soundtrack released September 15, 2017

"My own parade…"
    "I've been kicked by the wind, robbed by the sleet
    Had my head stoved in, but I'm still on my feet
    And I'm still...willin'
    "

One reason I needed to get that first ‘Cover Queen’ mini-essay out of my brain the other day, was because we’re about to lose some covers in this rate… much to my chagrin. I guess, some of those thoughts tie into these losses.

Over eight years after Amanda Leigh (my gawd... typing that hurts my soul), Mandy returned with her first ‘proper’ pop/rock song. Well, it’s a countriesh/blues song, but you get my meaning. After such a long dry spell, where the only music we had from her was either as Rapunzel or a singing counrty cat… I was fairly elated.

That Mandy returned with a cover of 70’s song, is well, perfect. In fact, we’ll go further down the rabbit hole here, if you're ready. The song she returned with is a cover > of a cover > as sung by Mandy > as Rebecca Pearson on a TV show > where she is an aspiring singer > in the 70's.

Have a seat, Inception… you’ve just been shown up by 'Meta-Mandy.'

[​IMG]

The original version of the song was done by American blues/country rock band Little Feat in 1971. It was written by lead vocalist & guitarist Lowell George. I don’t mean to disregard the orginal artist here, & their version is fine, but our story forks off some from them here, because...

We need to talk about Linda Rondstadt.

We need to talk about her for a variety of reasons (because she's amazing), but let me attempt to tie some things together in the Mandy tapestry I continue to try understand in my fandom of her & talk about in this rate.

It wasn’t immediately obvious to me who Mandy reminded of for several years in the mid-00s. She most certainly differentiated herself from her pack of peers with Coverage … and even more so with Wild Hope. In the first decade of her career, she had been from pop > to soundtracks > to covers > to folk/pop. Much like the character in the song 'Willin’… it was quite the journey.

I love that 14 years after she dropped my favorite album…. an album where I thought I had dissected literally every possible angle of how amazing it is & marveled over how she just ‘got it on that album’… Mandy then dropped the biggest bombshell of all on me : Linda Ronstadt.

Linda Ronstadt is so immensely under rated in the annals of pop, it would take more time than I have here to get into. In short, though, she’s the perfect symbolic spirit animal for Mandy. Linda started in pop > moved into a career of covers > got crazy experimental with different styles of country > & she even made a name for herself on successful soundtracks. Paraphrasing Linda's words here, she 'just gets bored easily & wants to try new things.' This sounds familiar to me.

Ulitmaley though, Linda was perhaps most known for covers. Not just covers, but recording distinctive covers that sometimes become the defacto version of the song for many. She was a Cover Queen, probably the Cover Queen of the 70's int the 80s' She recorded the most popular version of 'Willin’' in 1974 on her album Heart Like A Wheel.

When I heard Mandy’s version in 2017, it hit me like a ton a bricks. She was doing Linda's version of the song. A lot of things clicked intact moment. I was like, ‘here I am always preaching about how Linda Ronstadt is forgotten about in discussions of great artists & underated… and I missed what an obvious inspiration she’s been on one of my favaorite pop stars of all time. Oh, and proably my favorite album’.

The irony was not lost of me that I missed that. Eventually my brain would’ve gotten to Linda in some Mandy breakdown, but 'Willin’ moved the pieces into position for me. I guess, I was so focused on thinking that the actual artists Mandy covered on Coverage were indicators of who she wanted to be like artistically (and she certainly was a few) I missed that she kinda approached the whole concept of Coverge almost like a Linda Rontadt album from the era that many of the original songs came out in. Her mind. Let me tell tell ya fellow pop fans, I giggled that day!

Based on my first Cover Queen write-up the other day, the fact that Linda went against grain in era where covers where on the wane a bit, only strikes that much of a chord with me, as to her rebellious spirit. Well, rebellioness mixed with self-awareness… which can be a mixture to greatness. See, much like Mandy, Linda knew she was a singer first. She did write some songs, but her main goal was to sing her ass off & heart out on songs that already existed. On more than one occasios, she made a big artistic deal about tackling the ‘American Songbook’ & attempting to breathe new life into it. The resemabelsce to some of Mandy’s musical aspirations are uncanny.

I mean, read this from Wikipedia > think about Mandy > & think about some of discussion about cover songs so far.

Interpretive singer
    Ronstadt is considered an "interpreter of her times", and has earned praise for her courage to put her "stamp" on many of her songs. Nevertheless, her hits were criticized in some quarters for being cover songs. Ronstadt herself has indicated that some of her 70s hits were recorded under considerable pressure to create commercially successful recordings, and that she prefers many of her songs that were non-hit album tracks. An infrequent songwriter, Ronstadt co-composed only three songs over her long career.

Whew.

Now, as I much as Iove Mandy, I’m not fool enough to say she’s in the same league with Linda. She has a long way to go before that would enter my mind & since music isn’t what she does full time maybe that’s not even on the radar anyways. Some of the similarities in the approach to their craft is beyond fascinating to me. They are both vocalists first, who really try to stamp songs their own way.

This write-up would be remiss if I didn’t mention This Is Us. I don’t want to give away to many spoliers to the show, but there are aspects of the show that are ‘so Mandy’ it hurts. Not in a bad way, but in way that is so on brand based on some of these write-ups so far, the ‘meta-ness’ is amazing. I won't get into too many of them, as to not spoil the show in case you haven't seen it & decide to watch.

The funny thing is that I heard 'Willin'’ before I ever saw an episode of the show. As a Mandy fan, it was on my radar, but as a network drama it was something I was struggling to get in the mood for. As such, it kept getting shoved further down my queue. It kept winning awards & since I follow Mandy on the socials my interest kept growing, but I just needed a shove for some reason. Hearing ‘Willin’’ was an aha shove for me. I was like, ‘Oh, Mandy sings on here? Well, count me in!’

Since this write-up really fell down the Meta- Mandy rabbit hole, (that I so enjoy) I’ll end with this nugget. When researching this write-up I ran into a Linda Ronstadt fan forum. (Yes, that exists, which is amazing & made me happy enough in its own right.) Anyways, there was a thread about Mandy there, so my interest was piqued. It was cute, they really have no idea who she is, but some of them heard her sing Willin’ on This Is Us & as such they were discussing that she’d be a good person to play Linda Ronsstadt in a bio-pic. #mindblown

My Score: 8.5

"Kicking up confetti leaves…"

Sparkle In The Sky
    @Robsolete (9) & @vague (9) ....

[​IMG]

@unnameable (8): this is very Coverage meets Wild Hope era Mandy, and shows Mandy was an excellent casting choice for the show. (Oh, my heart! This on point commentary that ties into my write-up & made so very happy. )

@Music Is Life (8.5) : This is a nice enough mid-tempo. I like the production, and her vocals are great as always. (So you're also on board if Mandy brings us a country album soon?)

@Sprockrooster (8), @chris4862 (8)

Corner of your eye

@Zar-Unity (6) :
    Oh a song from her This is us TV series, nice. I can't say that I'm into this song that much. Probably one of my least liked songs by her, if that is even possible. It's a bit too country and laid back for me. I can't really connect with the way Mandy sings on this or what she is singing about. Quite strange as I usually can appreciate and connect at least somewhat with her music no matter what it is. Perhaps I'm not as big of a Mandy Moore fan as I thought all of these years? It just feels like the way Mandy is approaching newer music these day's is very different from how she used to express herself and sing in her music. And I can't really connect with her as much now like I could with her past albums and singles. I've only seen the pilot for her This is us show and I thought it was good but I didn't really feel that invested in any of the characters in the show. Maybe if I watch some more episodes I will change my mind and start to enjoy the show more. But this song is just not for me, sorry. (Willin' is probaly an acquired taste. As I stated above, it's a bit meta & ties into the show better than it probably does as a stand alone. I'm surpassed it did this well in the rate, honestly!)

@ohnostalgia (7.5): I’d like a country album please. (Pretty sure that's coming based on her hints. I'm game!)

@tylerc904 (7), @Robert (7), @Florencia. (6), @RUNAWAY (7), @Remorque (7.5),

Still Undiscovered
    @LKane (5), @ladylloyd (5),
    @VivaForever (4) : Mandy should just woman up and give us a full-on Shaniafied (or even Kaceyfied) album instead of this weak AC-country crap. (I mean, there were certainly seeds of Kacey-sytle tunes in Wild Hope... which was pre-Kacey, so that could still happen. She's talking about country some when asked about her direction. We'll see.)

@CasuallyCrazed (3)

For Your Viewing & Listening Pleasure

Willin': Live Acoustic

Linda Ronstadt's version

The original by Little Feat

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  3. The main Little Feat trivia I can remember is that their album "Dixie Chicken" inspired the name of the Dixie Chicks.

4. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

The main Little Feat trivia I know is that Colin Firth’s character in that Amanda Bynes movie was OBSESSED with them.

5. I pushed that last write up out before my lunch break & missed a few glaring typos rushing a bit. Oops. I think I just fixed most of them.

Also, the badge graphic for this one is a little pixelated , because I was deadset on using an image from at least one of her first official posters. All the images online of those are pretty small or low quality, though.

6. Willin' deserved to do way better than that!

7. Mandy is such a bridge & conduit to so many things I love in my life. Coverage is a big ingredient in all that.

Since we've been talking a lot about covers & Linda Ronstadt, I'd be remiss if I didn't bring notice to this fun little connection in my pop music fandom.

For the better part of my life, if you asked me who had my favorite voice in recorded pop music was (not 'best', but my favorite), I'd usually say Susanna Hoffs. It wan't until she was very recently replaced by one Carly Rae for that spot in my brain. Susanna is still very high, though. (Funnily enough, it would be E·MO·TION seriously contending Coverage for what I consider my fave pop album in my brain a few years ago. Based on this rate, you can probably tell who won.)

Well, much to my delight, in the late 00's, Susanna & Matthew Sweet put out a series of three albums called Under The Covers. On those albums they covered their favorite songs from the 60s-80's. Many of you might already be familiar with the albums, but if you're not & want to listen to some ear candy covers of some classics, I really like most of their versions. They picked some hits, but a few more obscure songs, too... which is nice. Much like Carly, Susanna Hoffs could sing the phone book Instagram hashtags & I'd be game.

Oh, only a couple of artists got covered more than once in their project. You know who one was....

Linda.

PS: Working on the next elimination, should be up today/tomorrow. It's a cover.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  8. [​IMG]

"Umbrella" | 6.903

Rated 68th out of 84 total songs

Rated 13th out of 21 Soundtracks & Extras

Chart info or stats:

The 44th most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm

Liner Notes

Written by: Christopher Stewart, Terius Nash, Kuk Harrell, Shawn Carter
    Produced by: Unknown

Wal-mart MP3 Wild Hope Exclusive released June 18, 2007

"My own parade…"
    "You had my heart, and we'll never be worlds apart
    Maybe in magazines, but you'll still be my star"

'Umbrella' was one of those rare songs that was pretty much immediately part of the pop culture's collective conscience. An instant classic out of the gate, as far as I’m concerned, because its just a brilliant song. While, it has been covered by a fair amount of artists, Mandy was one of the first. (Her instincts.) It’s hard to top Rihanna’s version, but what I immediately loved about Mandy’s version, is that she didn't try to.

Coming off our discussion about Linda Ronstadt & you all knowing how I feel about a certain album by Mandy, I’m about to say something crazy.... I think 'Umbrella' might actually Mandy’s most successful attempt at the Linda approach to 'putting your stamp on popular song'.

Now is 'Umbrella' my favorite Mandy cover? Ummmm, that’s a big no. It’s probably not even a top 10 cover by her (which says a lot based on my high score.)

Based on the scores by all of you, her ’stamp’ on the song is divisive, to say the least. For better or worse, I think that means the choices she made are interesting. When an artist makes a divisive cover, well, you can bet its because some decisions were made.

Let’s discuss those decisions.

Mandy’s ‘Umbrella’ (Mumbrella?) was recorded in the promo cycle for Wild Hope as part of Yahoo Music’s series ‘Cover Art’ where popular artists covered hit songs of the moment they liked.

Mandy’s choice to cover the song, was on point to me, but her explanation (in the video below) as to why she chose it comes off a tad extra & a little condescending (in her sweet Mandy way, but still). I try to be understanding & sympathetic of her self perceived mission to shed her 'ugly bubblegum past' (as I realize that especially for women in music, being taken ‘seriously’ is a real concern & if she feels that her 'capital P' pop past held her back & is disenchanted by it , so be it). That said, occasionally during this era her railing against it became a bit extra somtimes. Luckily, she started to dial it back a bit after the
    Wild Hope campaign.

That criticism aside, I like her arrangement of the song. The notes hang more on the minor keys of the melody, adding a certain bittersweetness to the proceedings. It really fits well sonically into the overall fabric of the Wild Hope era. For this reason, Mandy’s reading of lyric sounds more heartfelt & personal. It’s more sung & less staccato than Rihannas. It’s also live. That’s actually pretty amazing & easy to forget. The live performance was so good, it was added to Wal-Mart Mp3 music store version of Wild Hope. (Oh, the Wal-Mart Mp3 music store. Yeah, that was a thing. It was open for 8 years. How?)

Anyways, this last point raises something that I find both interesting & slightly irritating about the whole cover. Mandy’s ‘Umbrella’ went fairly viral. This was 2007, when the the concept of 'going viral' was still pretty new. In fact, it was getting more attention than ‘Extraordinary’ in many of the 'hipper music circles', on the internet Why that wasn’t parlayed better into the
    Wild Hope campaign, I don’t know. I mean, I guess maybe Wal-Mart had an exclusive on 'Mumbrella' as a bonus track, but like, forever? Can you imagine how many more copies of the album might've been sold had it been included on the Target physical version or even the iTunes version.

Here comes a run on sentence. As much as I don’t like albums to rely on some weird gimmick track randomly associated with an era to be the representative song on a work of art it wasn’t neccesaily intended for, I also hate when albums flop by artists I love & they had an ace in the hole they didn’t use to raise as much awareness for their album as they could. I feel like the populairty & buzz around her cover was a missed opportunity . Even now, over a decade later, ‘Extraordinary’ only has half million views on YouTube…. Mandy’s version of ‘Umbrella’ has 6.5 million.

In the end, I guess I understand why Mandy would not want a Rihanna cover to be the defining moment of the first album where she co-wrote all the songs (especially since she was coming off an album of covers). But, I can't get past the cruel irony that Mandy’s biggest cover hit is arguably not off of Coverage... and that in many ways it perfectly captures that project's goals of being an Linda Ronstadt-eque interpretive singer of the times.(Also, can we all admit those Yahoo cover art performances were a bit weird, the ways they played the artists video in background. Solange’s ‘Viva La Vida’ was the most disconcerting of all.)

My Score: 9.1

Sparkle In The Sky
    @Sprockrooster (10): A fantastic cover and perfectly in sync with the soundscape of Wild Hope. If only I had this physical. Phew. ( I know, @Sprockrooster. I know. *sigh*)

@Music Is Life (10): I can't give this a 10 because it's not as good as the original but this is a gorgeous cover, and her voice is great on it. Never mind the final minute and a half made this a 10. Honestly, this is turning into an 11 contender. (If you would've given this your 11, I probably would've put you in my will. I reserve the right to use this same line on someone else later in the rate. Haha!)

@Florencia. (10)

@LKane (9.4) : Great version! Better than the original. (@LKane just going for it with their commentary. Please post this opinion in the unpopular opinions thread... I'm not brave enough, too! Haha!)

@Zar-Unity (9.5): remember seeing Mandy perform this cover. This was done with her Wild hope
    backing band I think. What a big talented group of musicians they were! This is so much better than Rihanna's version because Mandy sounds so sincere and gorgeous singing it. Sorry I just don't like Rihanna much. If you are a die hard Rihanna fan, I don't mean that her version is bad or anything. I just can't connect with her voice or music much, sorry. But I think that Mandy picked a good choice for a popular song at the time that had a pretty solid melody. Honestly Mandy surprised me with how beautiful and amazing she sounded covering this. I was completely captivated! She did such a great job with it! I don't think this song was ever made into a proper release on any album, including her Wild hope album but I remember the fans really wishing for it to be released digitally as part of Wild hope. I had to go back and watch the Yahoo live performance again of this cover and I really enjoyed once again hearing it and seeing Mandy sing it. I love how she say's at the videos beginning that she is usually not a fan of top 40 hit songs, as I can relate. Mandy is such a sophisticated, super talented and awesome pop artist. One of a kind for sure! And it shows with her performing unlikely hit songs like this! (Captivating is a great word for the whole thing!)

@unnameable (8.5): a fine song done justice by Mandy’s voice

[​IMG]

@Robsolete (8), @vague (8.75)

Corner of your eye
    @Robert (6), @ladylloyd (6), @chris4862 (6), @RUNAWAY (7.5), @Remorque (5)

No commentary from the 'Corner of your eye' crew. #iconic

Still Undiscovered

@VivaForever (4) : This literally never needed to happen. (Unless you have the Wal-Mart version of Wild Hope.... did it? ...dun...dun...dun...

giphy-6.gif

@tylerc904 (5), @CasuallyCrazed (.5)

@ohnostalgia (1): No. This is the equivalent of a White Guy With Guitar sucking the life out of a pop song. (Ruthless! Though, if you hate this for that reason, technically you're not wrong, since there's like two white guys on guitar here... sucking away.)

Rare Live version from the Wild Hope tour

The original by Rihanna (minus Jay-Z)

And in a complete musical connection (that I couldn't make up in a million years), my favorite band also recorded a version on 'Umbrella' about a year after Mandy, for a special NME cd. It actually received a good bit of airplay in the UK, so much that their most recent album at the time (Send Aways The Tigers) has since included it on special editions.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Robert, Music Is Death, LKane and 8 others like this.
  9. I know a big cover song is out now that had over 6.5 million views on
    youtube but I'm just thinking about how @pop3blow2 's favorite band is
    Manic street preachers..I have to say that I'm a bit surprised! I don't know
    why but I guess I expected something very different.

Robert, pop3blow2, RUNAWAY and 2 others like this.
  10. (I'm not sure if this is good or bad, haha!) ... Maybe I’m a surprising guy.

Zar-Unity likes this.
  11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Thank god. Now can we get the cover I gave only one more point out next?

VivaForever likes this.
  12. Different Drum is one of my all time favorite songs, and Susanna does a great job. Had never heard her rendition prior to today.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  13. I remember when my mom randomly got a $5 Walmart gift card, she let me use it on their MP3 store to buy exclusive tracks by ZOEgirl and Rebecca St. James. Obviously, this is when I was in my Christian music phase..........

pop3blow2 and ohnostalgia like this.
  14. Same.

That is fantastic... on a couple of levels!

15. The ZOEgirl one is on other platforms now. The RSJ one isn't, which is a pity as it was actually very good! From the same sessions as Shout to the Lord and The Power of Your Love, I believe. In fact, I can't even find it on YouTube... it was called Vision.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  16. Sorry, but I'm just not a huge fan of Rihanna's music. So Mandy made the song more more accesible to me

pop3blow2 likes this.
  17. [​IMG]

"Can't You Just Adore Her?" | 6.925

Rated 67th out of 84 total songs

Rated 12th out of 12 from Wild Hope

Chart info or stats:

The 64th most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm
    The 11th most scrobbled song from Wild Hope

Liner Notes

Written by: Mandy Moore & Lori McKenna
    Produced by: John Alagia

track 6 on Wild Hope, released June 19th, 2007

"My own parade…"
    "She loves to watch the sunset
    But she is partial to the rain
    With those tears and that umbrella
    Her allure goes unexplained"

Well, well, well. We finally lose the first song from Wild Hope proper. It was last album remaining untouched & hung in there for quite awhile. It’s weird in a rate. I know everything has to go & I did rate ‘Can’t You Just Adore Her?’ the lowest on the album, but I still wouldn’t say her its her '67th best song'. But, here we are.

'Can’t You Just Adore Her?' is another of the songs Mandy wrote with Lori McKenna for the album. The lyrics to this one are interesting, in an unreliable narrator, sort of way. As such, the song always had a certain manic anxiety to me that is oddly appealing. Yeah, it’s a weird song, though. I guess the lyrics are sort of stream of conscious mixed with some personal internal monologue. It’s all oddly stark & self-destructive, to me... but filtered through that Mandy-lense. While all of this is ambitious, I’m not sure it all works or completely communicates her feelings. It’s a mood, though. (I do love the random 'Umbrella' lyric in the song in connection to that cover during the era... and right after that elimination, even!)

Here’s where his song’s history gets sort of fascinating for me, though. We’ve talked all about how Mandy’s career is partially based on covers. Well, with ‘Can’t You Just Adore Her?’, we have the first song written by Mandy that got actually got covered by someone else. (if you don’t count The Weepies version of a 'Few Days Down'…. which I don’t since they co-wrote it with Mandy for Wild Hope.)

In 2011, the song found second life when it was used on the album of a new country artist Melissa Rae Barrie. Her version is sonically a bit more straight forward ‘radio country’. It’s an odd song to cover, in my opinion, for the reasons listed above… but maybe Melissa Rae Barrie related to it on some level. Her version is fine & I do like that the fact Mandy wrote some songs worthy of being covered. The cycle!

My favorite music-nerd-fact about ‘Can’t You Just Adore Her?’ though, is that it features my beloved Sara Watkins on background vocals. I. LOVE. SARA. WATKINS. She’s among the most talented musicians of her generation & a creative force of nature who springs up all over the place on things I love. She’s one of my favorite artists & her 2012 album Sun Midnight Sun was my favorite album of that year… and an evergreen I return to all the time. Hearing her pop up in the background here was a delight & likely a highlight for Mandy too, since I know she is a fan of her.

(I love synchronicity! While I was writing this post, @DJHazey just unveiled my #39 artist in the Ultimate Pop Stars Thread. It’s Sara.)

Ultimately, ‘Can’t You Just Adore Her?’ is one of those songs I listen to & enjoy in context of the album, but would likely never seek out though. It skates around area of being a borderline ‘bonus track’ sounding song on Wild Hope, but is elevated by some great guest harmony vocals & some creative lyrical ideas that almost work.

My Score: 8.5

Sparkle In The Sky
    @Music Is Life (10):
    I love this. It kind of reminds me of early Shania Twain to be honest (pre-Come On Over basically.) I really love the production, but the lyrics are great too. I don't know I just love this. (I love this commentary actually... and it made me appreciate the cover version I speak of above a bit more.)

@unnameable (10):
    Mandy describes herself in terms like a manic pixie dream girl in one of those 2000s indie movies. (Gawd. This is so on point.)

@RUNAWAY (9), @Sprockrooster (9), @ladylloyd (8), @vague (8.25)

Corner of your eye
    @LKane (6):
    This one has country vibes… Now I’m remembering that Michelle Branch wrote some songs for this record, but they didn’t make it at the end. Would be interesting to listen to those demos. (I would LOVE to hear those. Wild Hope deluxe edition? Come on Mandy, bring it.)

@VivaForever (6), @Robert (6), @Robsolete (7.5), @chris4862 (6.5), @Florencia. (6), @Remorque (6)

@Zar-Unity (7.4):
    This is probably the most country sounding song on Wild hope and as such I find it hard to appreciate this side of Mandy. I don't think that this kind of singing really fits her that well or I just can't really appreciate her singing like this. I'm also not really feeling the melody or the rest of the music. At other times I may be able to enjoy this song a bit more, but that would depend on my mood. Sorry but I think with part of Mandy's
    new singing style and music she has taken a step or two back from how the quality of her previous music has been with lazy afternoon sappy indie tunes like this. She does sound pretty good at parts of this song though, as Mandy always does. (I'm not sure I agree on a lot this, but 'lazy afternoon sappy indie tunes' had me laughing. I'll probably make a playlist & call it that now!)

Still Undiscovered

@tylerc904 (5.5), @CasuallyCrazed (2)

@ohnostalgia (3):
    Oh, it’s Little Miss Quirky. Why can’t you just become a responsible woman? (Did I laugh at this commentary even though the score horrified me. Yes. Yes, I did.)

Live Version (her style was soooo on point that era.)

Melissa Rae Barrie: Cover Version

Sara Watkins covering Linda Ronstadt.... for obvious reasons related to this thread!

One more by her (seriously, if you have bumpkin bone, listen to Sun Midnight Sun)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  18. Heya, thanks for the shoutout. I love your idea to rank by scrobbles, is that just your scrobbles or total? I'd also be interested in doing that and ranking the Spotify streams whenever I do a rate where all songs are on there of course.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  19. No problem! It's like a random mini Sara Watkins celebration day for me on PJ today, so I'm stoked. Haha!

The scrobble stats for each elim are overall totals from last.fm. We had some convo about it here a couple pages back. So far the idea seems to be a hit. I know last.fm is not a pure acknowledgment of song's popularity, since not everyone uses that tool, etc. But, it's a fun way to add an interesting perspective/chart data to a song's popularity in relation to the rate reveal.

I'm using Spotify stats some, too, but they only give an artsit's top 10, unfortunately.

Robert and vague like this.
  20. It was one of my lowest scores from it, but it's still too early to be losing songs from Wild Slaying.

Music Is Death and pop3blow2 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.