Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!) | Page 29 | The Popjustice Forum

Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by pop3blow2, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What's your favorite Mandy Moore album

1. So Real

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I Wanne Be With You

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Mandy Moore

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  4. Coverage

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Wild Hope

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  6. Amanda Leigh

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Other (soundtrack, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. My thoughts, too... though it did hang on the longest.

Music Is Death, vague and Robsolete like this.
  2. Well hello, let's celebrate that!

vague and pop3blow2 like this.
  3. Can't You Just Adore Her is insubstantive but cute. It's too bad it's the first thing off its parent album.

4. A quick note that I'll hopefully have the next elimination up today or tomorrow (likely tomorrow.)

We will lose our second 11 of the rate with that reveal.

5. I think I'll try listening to it again. I only listened to it a couple times. If the opinion is that her vocals are good here, I must not have been paying enough attention.
    Everblue is such a loss for me. Ugh.
    Haha well I couldn't help myself. I've loved the song since I was 10 and saw the movie at the drive in. I remember sitting in the car and having a big ass smile on my face as she was singing. At the time, the "brush and brush and brush and brush my hair" part was favorite too.
    I mean, was my Taylor/Carrie/Kacey stanage not clue enough for you?
    Quick English lesson: This actually isn't a run-on sentence. A run-on sentence is also called a run-together sentence and it's when two full sentences are combined to make one long one. What you wrote was one full sentence.
    Anyways, if I make it into your will by the end of the rate that'd be awesome! (And I'd want all your CDs/vinyls.)
    I'm glad that my commentary did that for you. This song is gone way too soon.

These were all pretty big losses for me, except the first one and I'm upset.
    Also my rate feels very basic compared to this yours @pop3blow2 haha.

VivaForever and pop3blow2 like this.
  6. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I hate manic pixie dream girl tropes. Glad I could make you chuckle, @pop3blow2

7. I didn't expect Manic Pixie Dream Girls to spring up in this rate, but I love the topic. I've had some good discussions with friends about this trope in past.

I have mixed opinions & have a lot of thoughts. As someone who has suffered with some depression/manic episodes, I don't think the concept is healthy at all. It's unfair to reduce a person down to the quirks that 'make you feel alive' or help you in some way... & then live somewhat vicariously through them. That said, I can admit that in those states of depression, I did completely that. It's easy to fall down a rabbit hole in any depression & in a heightened need to 'feel alive' to just start to latch onto the littlest things that make you happy, even if those things are amplified quirks of someone else. As such, in some sort of self-preservation mode your brain decides its completely reasonable to use people like this. It's not a good thing, though... and oddly like drug addiction or something. Just not heathy.

So, in that sense, I find the trope interesting & if its used right in art (which its not a lot) , as it can be a great cautionary tale that people don't merely exist for you to project your needs onto. I think this is one reason I like the movie 500 Days Of Summer. It's a proper use of how the MPDG trope can be used well.

That said, I'll admit I'm also a sucker for manic pixie characters in a couple of other movies I love, even though the whole time I'm watching there's a little voice screaming 'this character is absurd & probably not even real! It's just a figment/projection of how this likely sad person feels 'saved' by them! Red light! Red light!'

8. Your rate & write-ups are great! I mean, it's completely possible I went overboard with Mandy, haha! (go figure.)

Also, thanks for definition of run-on sentences. I totally overuse ellipsis like no one's business when I type, because my brain is just one big run-together sentence sometimes.

9. [​IMG]

"Let Me Be The One" | 6.978

Rated 66th out of 84 total songs

Rated 12th out of 116 from So Real/I Wanna Be With You

Chart info or stats:

The 44th most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm
    The So Real album stats are glitching on Last.fm, so I'm unsure on where this ranks in context of the album.

Liner Notes

Written by: Ian Foster
    Produced by: The Wasabees

track 8 on So Real, released December 7, 1999
    B-side to 'I Wanna Be With You' April 11, 2000

"My own parade…"

One of my favorite things about rates on PJ, especially hosting one now, is that songs you really didn’t give much mind before take on a new light with addition of new stories, details, & POVs.

‘Let Me Be The One’ was admittedly, always one of the more forgettable songs from So Real to me. There was nothing wrong with it. It was just there. It was built upon the super basic sonic signature of something like the ‘Backstreet’s Back’ sort of synth riff of the era & the whole thing was just super basic/run-of-mill to me.

In news you'll find shocking, the song’s most notable thing to me was the the fact it was a cover. The decision to have Mandy cover a fairly random R&B/Dance hit from 1985 was an interesting choice. Random in the respect that it's not the first song that would spring to mind when thinking of 'safe' covers for a 15 year old's first pop album.

Mandy’s version is quite bit different sonically from the the 1985 hit by British group Five Star, with her version being produced to sound more of the era obviously. I’m not entirely sure the reason behind the remake. It wasn’t a single. Was it going to be a single? Is there a connection one of the producers/label execs has to the song? Who decided Mandy should take the song? Was this song just a safe cover for the label to in their back pocket for an emergency single or to try & break Mandy in the UK? I just don’t know. It’s such a random cover & the fact I know little about why it was chosen makes it interesting on a certain level... especially considering Mandy's future foray into covers.

I must admit, though, I like the Five Star version much more than Mandy's. Some of that is just liking that era of production style more. I do feel their version is a bit smoother, too. Their version has a glorious sax solo & the group's voices just blend together so well. This makes its less 'punchy' than that late '90's teen pop sound, but that's not really a bad thing. If you're ever in the mood for some quality 80's R&B dance pop, you should look into their greatest hits. They had a string of like 12 UK top 20 hits from 1984-1988.

All of this being said, I was quite surprised when this song got an 11. Some of 11s in this rate were so gloriously random, I just giggled. It all ties perfectly into fabric of how wonderfully random I find Mandy.

There’s no way I would've pegged this for an 11 by someone before the rate started, much less noted Mandy-stan @Zar-Unity. As such, their commentary has made reassess the song some. I’ll let you read their enthusiastic commentary below, but they are not wrong some key points. There is a fierceness to how she tackles a fairly beloved classic, that really could be seen as a hint to future projects by her. Her vocal is strong & confident, especially considering her age. This can also really be heard in the live version I linked below. Mandy's live vocals have always been on point, since day one.

Maybe I always got too hung up on the ‘try too hard’ production of the song & missed some other things. Though to be fair, I was never being fan of 'Everybody' (Backstreet’s Back)' & this is what the production reminded me of. That likely affected my score some.

I love that this song never put much put much stock in got an 11 from such a Mandy fan. Now for the rest of my life as a fellow Mandy fan, I have another little ingredient of enthusiasm for which to appreciate the song. I'm already listening to the song with some new ears & through a new filter. That’s why I love these rates, seeing your score, & especially people’s commentary. It gives a whole other lense to enjoy music by an artist I love through.

My Score: 6.1

"Kicking up confetti leaves…"

Sparkle In The Sky
    @Zar-Unity (11):
    Now this is a tune! A crazy dominate beat and an amazing vocal delivery by Mandy! One of Mandy's very best pop tunes from her early output no doubt! This has everything that a pop tune needs and Mandy has never sounded more fierce and powerful as a pop star here, so I think this one will be receiving my 11! Again, this would have made an awesome single! Oh my god does Mandy own this tune with those incredible vocals! These are the type of powerful vocal performances that we are completely missing from her later alternative pop material, sadly. This is the fierce Mandy that we all miss dearly. Never to be heard from again. We might get little hints of it from her Coverage album but that is about it for post 1999 Mandy. You know? The Mandy that was never afraid to do amazing pop hits, no matter how daring they might be to do. Okay perhaps "I could break your heart" nearly retouched on this level but it is still nothing like this R&B pop banger! The production on this tune is amazing and perfectly showcases Mandy as an undefeatable pop talent! Love the beat and melody here! Everything about this track is just perfect! Take my 11! (Very well said! Like I said above, your love for Mandy & passion for this song makes me listen to it with some enthusiasm... which is a great thing about these rates.)

@Music Is Life (10) : BOP. The production is very late 90s in the best way. I feel like her voice is stronger here than on other tracks across this album, which is only a good thing. I love this. To be honest I could see this being on either Britney's or Christina's debuts, it actually feels similar to “Love Will Find A Way” by Xtina. But I love that song too, so I don't mind this. (I guess some enjoyment of this song comes from the for first similar song/artist of the period it reminds you of. For me, its always been Backstreet's Back... not a song I care much for. Haha!)

@vague (8.5): catchy and fun. (I find the original that way. I'm still working on Mandy's! )

@Robert (8)

Corner of your eye
    @chris4862 (7): The closest we get to anything resembling Britney, and surprisingly one of the better entries in the track list. (I can hear Britney in hear, for sure. Not sure if that helps or hurts my opinion of it.)

@unnameable (7):
    in the UK, we got this on the CD single of “I wanna be with you”. This is a good album track, but doesn’t stand out from the rest of the pack. (I always wondered if it being the I Wanna Be With You B-side was an indicator that it actually was a single contender at one point.)

@ohnostalgia (6.5): Eh.... bog standard, isn’t it? (I've always felt that way, sadly.)

@RUNAWAY (7.5) : this song is a lot better than most things on here. ( I struggle with So Real, so I'll just leave it at that!)

@VivaForever (7), @Sprockrooster (6), @tylerc904 (7), @Robsolete (7.5), @ladylloyd (6), @Remorque (7.5)

Still Undiscovered

@Florencia. (4): A boring and unremarkable song (Harsh, but I'd be lying if I didn't have these same thoughts about the song in the past.)

@LKane (5), @CasuallyCrazed (4)

For Your Viewing & Listening Pleasure

Live version (with all Mandy's adorably awkward choreo)

The original version by Five Star (with amazing 80's video, to boot)

10. Oh, I forgot to add.... You know me & numbers. I thought it was funny that today is my birthday > I was born on 6/9/78 > & that's the exact score of today's reveal!

Also, fun fact: when I was kid our phone number ended in 6978, which made it super easy for me to memorize when my parents made us all memorize it for 'emergency contacts, schools, & such' when I was little.

Taylor & her 13's, wut?

Florencia., LKane, berserkboi and 8 others like this.
  11. Thank you! I mean I guess you could call all this "overboard" but in the best way possible. And it also helps that you've had all these thoughts, facts, and ideas built up for like 20 years.

Also you're welcome. I used to think a run-on was just a long sentence until my firs semester of college, so I wanted to clear that up for you and anyone else in here because I'm a nerd.
    First of all: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
    Second of all: Seriously? Another 10? Come on!
    Third of all: If you don't know Love Will Find A Way, listen to it. I think you'll like it. I didn't even think of BSB because I honestly only really know I Want It That Way.

12. So my 11 is out now, what a surprise. Not really..

Nothing has went my way on this rate.

But it is still fun to watch unfold.
    Happy birthday to our wonderful host @pop3blow2 !
    Before giving "Let me be the one" I had no idea that it was
    a cover! I'll have to look up the original version.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  13. Apologies for not posting for a couple of pages. I started to get behind and then I wanted to sit down and read all of the write ups and commentaries properly, rather than just skim reading, because they are amazing. I also like to listen to a bit of Mandy in the background as I’m reading through (does anyone else do that?). I really enjoy learning new Mandy info and reading everyone’s opinions on her songs and career.

The Tangled soundtrack songs were all pretty new to me for this rate, some of the very few I hadn’t really listened to properly before, but I’m glad I have now as they’re pretty decent.

I also haven’t watched This Is Us yet, and I hadn’t heard the original, but I really do like Willin’. It was such a nice surprise to get a new song from Mandy randomly, and then again with Invisible Ink, which is also great.

Let Me Be The One is fantastic. Over here it was relegated to b-side status, but I think it should have stayed on the album over the likes of I Like It.

Great choice for your 11! And at least yours wasn’t the first 11 out in this rate! I wonder whose and which song will be next...

I hope you had a fantastic birthday @pop3blow2 I’m also loving all of the number connections you’re highlighting. I feel like I’m watching LOST again.

14. Crazy behind with a couple of work projects at the start of this week, but another Mandy reveal should come today/tomorrow.

It will be our 20th elimination... and our last song with under a 7 average!

15. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

This is giving me flashbacks to when a PJ poster scolded us for posting our birthdates. Something something identity theft.

16. I mean, the scolder was probably not technically wrong. I did pause a second (for a couple reasons) before posting, but I was just too excited about those numbers lining up not to share! I guess if someone wants to use that data in the profile they are building about me... they also have a wealth of other stuff on PJ to go off. Mandy will be my undoing... ha!

vague and ohnostalgia like this.
  17. OMG!! Happy Birthday @pop3blow2 !!! Best wishes for you!! Numbers are magic indeed, Maths are not there just because!

Sorry @Zar-Unity for giving such a low score to your 11... I went to harsh on this song.

Mandy queen of covers!

Zar-Unity, vague and berserkboi like this.
  18. [​IMG]

"Wind In My Hair" | 6.994

Rated 65th out of 84 total songs

Rated 12th out of 21 from Soundtracks/Extras

Chart info or stats:

The 159th most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm
    (the scrobbles for this one are dicey, since some are credited to 'Rapunzel'. Metadata *sigh*)

Liner Notes

Written by:Alan Menken & Glenn Slater
    Produced by: Danny Jacob

released as a stand alone single to promote Tangled: Before Ever After March 10, 2017

"My own parade…"
    "What if the doors began to open?
    What if the knots became untied?
    What if one day nothing stood in my way and the world was mine
    Would it feel this fine?"

This was pretty much the last song to make my cut for the rate. I knew the songs from Tangled ‘proper’ would be divisive, but felt they had to be accounted for in a Mandy rate (& I would’ve wanted them here regardless!)

Including songs from the Tangled animated tv series (now known as Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure), well those songs seemed a little more fringe & perhaps inconsequential to her discography rate. ‘Wind In My Hair’, though, I just genuinely loved the first time I heard it. There was an effervescent freedom to Mandy’s voice in that song, that really did seem to be coming from a place of feeling like she had a legit burden lifted off her & felt free. I should note this is the first song she recorded after her divorce & totally think that’s why there is such feeling pumped into this this little song from an animated tv movie/show.

I figured it would be one of the first 5 songs out, but I’ll be dammed if its not the last ‘solo’ Mandy song remaining of the Tangled songs. You all surprised me many times in this rate. The feedback & scores were pretty positive from most on this one, which is even more surprising because I have to imagine many were hearing it for the first time.

Disney really must be commended for ‘getting the band back together’ on this one. They got Alan Menken & Glen Slater back to write the , what could’ve just been a throw away, theme song for a kids show. This song goes pretty hard for what it is (actually the song premiered for the Disney Channel TV movie Tangled: Before Ever After. That movie set the stage for the Tangled tv series where the song was ultimately used as the theme. Meta Mandy.) Of course, getting Mandy back as both the speaking & singing voice of Rapnuzel show makes the whole song (& show in general) all the more special. The character really is her altar ego at this point.

I made note of this at one point earlier, but its hilarious to me that some of the Tangled music (specifically from stuff post-film) it sometimes has the artist credited as ‘Rapunzel’ on Spotify. (I guess it even showed up in the in the metadata somewhere at some point, because Rapunzel shows up as a last.fm artist for some these songs. *scream*)

My endless search for symbolism & unabashed love for Tangled aside, ’Wind In My Hair’ is just a really good song. With some slight production changes, it really wouldn’t have been out of place on a Mandy album.... (and it's sooo close to 7.00 average here it hurts. *sigh*)

My Score: 8.9

"Kicking up confetti leaves…"

Sparkle In The Sky
    @Music Is Life (10): So this is the only Rapunzel song I hadn't heard before this, but I love it immediately, because it has all the makings of a great Disney song, and it's Mandy as Rapunzel, and her voice is perfect. The lyrics are great too, for the character anyway. (...and the lyrics are great for her too, I think. I loved it immediately, as well. I'm here for all this Tangled love you gave!)

@Sprockrooster (8): Adore the feeling of wind in my hair.

[​IMG]

@Zar-Unity (8.5): Now this song has some fun energy and a beautiful melody to it! Mandy sounds really good one this song! Once again from her movie Tangled I see. This song puts me off a bit for how Mandy sings it as I'm not really used to Mandy singing like this but I still enjoy this one. (She does sound really good on it. Knowing what she was going through in her life... I think she sounds free. Its from the Tangled: Animated Series on Disney Channel, though. Watch the movie first! Haha!)

@unnameable (8.5): this is amazingly positive. (It really is a spirit lifter... not in a hokey way, either.)

@Robsolete (8), @Florencia. (8),

Corner of your eye
    @VivaForever (6): Why is this better than any of the songs in the movie? (Because it wanted to be an amazing theme song to animated tv show.... duh?)

@LKane (6.5): At least somehow she has continuing singing, even without albums. (She's really helped prop up Rapunzel's streaming numbers on Spotify!)

@ohnostalgia (6): More tangled.... yay. (It's almost over in the rate now, just waiting for that song about the lanterns. Hang in there.)

@Robert (6), @chris4862 (7.5), @vague (7.5), @RUNAWAY (7)

Still Undiscovered

@tylerc904 (5), @ladylloyd (5), @Remorque (5), @CasuallyCrazed (4)

For Your Viewing & Listening Pleasure

Version from the TV show (with reprise & more)

Because I like Natasha Bedingfield & she recorded the credits song for Tangled: Before Ever After.

ohnostalgia, Zar-Unity, vague and 6 others like this.
  19. Mandy Moore & Alan Menken <3

pop3blow2 and Sprockrooster like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.