Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!) | Page 31 | The Popjustice Forum

Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by pop3blow2, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What's your favorite Mandy Moore album

1. So Real

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I Wanne Be With You

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Mandy Moore

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  4. Coverage

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Wild Hope

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  6. Amanda Leigh

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Other (soundtrack, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Haha! Yeah... it's something. Glad its finally found some sort of outlet.

From self-titled through Wild Hope, she was the center of my pop universe. She faded from that spot a bit, the less & less music she made, but no other pop obsession has quite ever matched her in my little world, though a handful have gotten close.

I mean, I could probably write a book about Coverage... (as the write-ups for those songs here are proving to me.) I listened to that album almost every day for well over a year... and can't you how many times I watched the Special Edition making of DVD (which, to this day, I'm still so excited even exists at all ...as Coverage so quickly faded from visibility. It's amazing having a mini-chronicle of its making.)

In one of my more ambitious trains of thought a few years ago, I sketched out an idea for a book of essays about my 00's holy trinity: Folklore, Coverage, & Harmonium. They are connected in my brain since they came out within a year of each other > are by 3 of my fave artists > who were all pretty big names > & yet all 3 albums flopped commercially.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Txetxu, Florencia., Zar-Unity and 7 others like this.
  2. I am disgusted this is out so soon.

Lila, pop3blow2 and ohnostalgia like this.
  3. OMG!! Yes Yes!! Folklore and Harmonium are perfect albums too in my opinion. Actually Folklore must be my fave album of all time. And yes... what a shame all of them flopped... For me those albums are master pieces.

Dang, I can't wait for your next rate! haha

4. I'll hold you to writing this thing if you'll hold me to writing either a book about Carmen Sandiego or one about the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum heist.
    Also, TO BE PERFECTLY CLEAR, I was only thinking about songs on Coverage when I said this. Everything on Amanda Leigh but I Could Break Your Heart should have gone before anything on Coverage, with the possible exceptions of Help Me and Moonshadow.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  5. Incidentally, this fan art just came up on my Reddit:

pop3blow2 likes this.
  6. Our next elimination is our third 11... and I'm not happy about it.

7. Is it bad I don't know who did Folklore or Harmonium?

8. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Yes.

Txetxu, vague, pop3blow2 and 3 others like this.
  9. pop3blow2 likes this.
  10. Oh, the album with "Powerless" on it...and a bunch of songs I've completely forgotten.

Actually, this reminds me of how often I forget people's second albums. I liked Vanessa's "Heroes and Thieves" but can't remember any of the songs off Harmonium at all. Yeah, this would be why I didn't participate in those artists' rates - time has wiped any memory of them.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  11. So remind yourself of them.

12. Yeah, those albums are so connected in my brain, I just throw the titles around as one collective period of music to me... but without context I can see how some people would be like, 'what are you on about?' They all three do sorta get forgotten to the annals of pop (which would be one angle of my book...how they sold for shit & were just forgotten by many.)

All three albums had ladies battling against label politic hell, too... as they all rightfully wanted control of their art & image (you could throw several other ladies into the discussion, too... but those were the big three to me.) Fascinating little period of pocket of pop music to me.

13. [​IMG]

"Nothing
    Everything" | 7.131

Rated 61st out of 84 total songs

Rated 8th out of 10 from Amanda Leigh

Chart info or stats:

The 77th most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm
    The 10th most scrobbled song from Amanda Leigh on Last.fm

Liner Notes

Written by: Mandy Moore & Mike Viola
    Produced by: Mike Viola

Track 10 on Amanda Leigh: Released: May 26, 2009

"My own parade…"
    "Tell me a story, Saturday morning
    Has brought a break in the clouds
    Before the thunder and rain start up again
    I wanna let it all out
    "

I talk about a lot of collateral topics in regards to Mandy, because she’s such an interesting pop culture magnet to me in that regard. I’m going to take a break from that for a minute with this elimination & mainly focus on the just the music/song here.

So, I really enjoy music from the 60’s. Maybe you’ve picked up on that based on some conversation here & or perhaps in some other threads/rates you’ve seen me ramble into (most noticeably the Vanessa rate.) It’s probably my favorite decade of older music (with the 80’s close behind). As such, I’m a sucker for songs that incorporate sonics from those decades well… and preferably in fresh ways.

In fact, 'Nothing Everything' checks a bunch of things of things I love about pop/rock off the list at one time:

- ’60’s style instruments/production (HARPSICHORD!)
    - Songs with odd structure that are a bunch of ‘mini-sections’
    - Songs that have a non-eponymous title
    - Songs that fade out
    - Nonsensical, ramshackle background vocals
    - Organic studio chatter/laughter on the track

'Nothing Everything' is a success on every level as a great song for me. While I wasn’t as immediately smitten with Amanda Leigh the first listen through in 2009 compared to Wild Hope, 'Nothing Everything' was an instant fave on the album. In fact, I think it’s a bit of a mini-masterpiece.

The harpsichord could’ve been lifted directly off of a Left Banke or Beach Boys (or yes, even Linda Ronstadt) song from the 60’s. I mean, a harpsichord as a lead instrument on a Mandy Moore song. Who’d have thought that in 1999? I love the harpsichord. It’s an oddly punchy sounding instrument, especially when played in certain styles, like here. It gets your attention, for sure.

And then we we get to whole new section (at 1:15). Where the song becomes sweeping & dreamy... not too far removed from a Vanessa Carlton-esque sound circa Rabbits & On The Run (y'know I'm sorta of fond of that album. dddd) Then there's a mini-breakdown into a more erratic-sounding section of ‘building something new’ at 2:10. At 2:30 the song returns to the core musical themes briefly before becoming a building succession of instrumentation & vocals… just all stacked onto of each other. While the song reminds be a lot of 60's music at the beginning of the song, but the time we get to the end, it's all very Tusk-era Fleetwood Mac. Tusk is my fave Fleetwood Mac album, so it makes sense that all this would be so appealing to me. Since Linda has always been a 60's-70's musical bridge to me, there even further interest in that whole angle to me, here. I also love songs that mix sonics from decades in the same song (add that to my checklist above.)

The song is just so different, among the most unique in her whole discography. Mandy said the song based on a little riff she kept hearing Mike Viola play & once she had some lyrics the whole song came together in about 15 minutes. That’s literally mind blowing to me, since there are so many little levels to this song. It's a really weird song & I mean that in best way possible. (There are several really weird, but amazing songs on the album, to be honest.)

In the Amanda Leigh commentary track, Mandy describes what the song is about :

‘It’s about lovingly telling someone that its time to move on because they they deserve the best… and maybe you're not the best.’

It’s a simple concept that is hard for humans to address sometimes. The complicated nature of broaching the subject is captured wonderfully through the building & falling structure of the song. The push/pull of the song is fascinating on other level to, from a music theory standpoint. At its heart, its a very basic 'singer/songwritery' sorta concept & song (y'know... a sincere & lyrically poetic look at a break-up.) I'd love to hear any early version with just Mandy over guitar, because the production of it all turns into an odd little baroque-infused rock romp. A feel good break-up song? Sure, get it Mandy! Gawd, the non-eponymous title is perfect here. Her mind.

So in the the end we end up with a write-up where I mention:

The Left Banke
    The Beach Boys
    Linda Ronstadt
    & Fleetwood Mac ... (and even Nessa. whew.)

Yeah, its no wonder I love this song so much & I was ecstatic @LKane gave it their 11. It deserved to stay longer. *sigh*

My Score: 9.6

"Kicking up confetti leaves…"

Sparkle In The Sky
    @LKane (11):
    This makes me dance, get excited and I have to give it my 11. The ending of the song is just everything. (Yes! I love many moments in the song but the ending is so freeing & oddly celebratory for a break-up song. Bittersweet Mandy pulling out the stops for a positive break-up song!)

@Zar-Unity (10):
    This song has a really cool sound to it and a great driving rhythm! Mandy sounds amazing here, completely owning this song! Great elevating change at 1:25 and it seems that this song just keeps getting better. I remember the first time I heard this song I was completely captivated by it and really impressed. I just have to laugh at the songs awkward goofy end. What special charm and imagination this album had to it with amazing songs like this. This is just so much fun to jam to! No doubt one of Mandy's best songs so yet again I have no choice but to award this one a perfect 10. (Haha! Yes, the end is so goofy & organically fun sounding. Not like the forced bits some artists put on their albums to show you 'how much fun it was' making it. That new section at 1:15 is brilliant. Great minds thinking alike!)

@ohnostalgia (8): Harpsichord! (I think that was my exact one word reaction the first time I heard this song.)

@Music Is Life (9.5): BOP. Had me tapping my feet along. ('Harpsichord! -- BOP.' The exact back-to-back commentary no other rate on Popjustice can likely deliver like a Mandy rate. Haha!)

@chris4862 (8.5)

Corner of your eye

@unnameable (7): I find this song mildly uplifting (This commentary made me chuckle the first time I read it & more so, just now. I think because most people are pretty binary in their love/dislike for this song & you're so 'even' in your commentary. I love this rate panel.)

@Sprockrooster (6), @tylerc904 (6.5), @Robsolete (7), @vague (7.75), @Florencia. (7.5), @RUNAWAY (7.5)

Still Undiscovered

@VivaForever (5), @Robert (5), @ladylloyd (5), @Remorque (5), @CasuallyCrazed (2.5)

For Your Viewing & Listening Pleasure

There are no live versions of this song I can find, sadly... so here's some of the random-stuff 'Nothing Everything' reminds me of.

'I've Got Something On My Mind': The Left Banke

'Here Today': Beach Boys

'Different Drum': The Stone Poneys

'Tusk': Fleetwood Mac

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  14. Also, I love that one of images next in my queue was that weird one of Mandy, with the crazy pink eye make-up & purple tinged hair! It worked out as the perfect image for the elimination badge, since 'Nothing Everything' is a such an amazingly weird a little song...and that was sort of a amazingly weird look for Mandy. I can't remember what shoot that was from, though. Some stylized shoot, obvs. .. as she never looked that way again. The early 00's were something!

15. I'm not even mad. I'm happy because this song exists! I could have give my 11 to many other Mandy songs tbh. It was a difficult decision. Now I hope Merrimack River will get a higher score.

"Even though my heart is torn. I only want the best for you" <3.

ahhaaaahh, aah aahahh lalalalaaa
    ahh ahaaah aaah aaaaah lalalala
    I only want the best for you
    aah aaah, aaah aaaah, lalalala
    aaah aaaah, lalalala
    ey ey ey ey ey ey
    ohhhhh
    ohhh oh I only wish the best for you
    oh I only want the best for you
    ey ey ey ey ey
    oohhh

[​IMG]

lalalala. that was good!.

16. So true.... and perfect GIF use.

I can update the 'Eleven's we've lost' post now, on the front page, I just wanted to make sure you got the news here first.

vague and LKane like this.
  17. When I go out, I wanna go out dancing, etc.

Music Is Death, LKane and pop3blow2 like this.
  18. Working on elimination #60. It's a weird write-up... that was interrupted by my Mac randomly crashing several times the last day. So yeah, I'm dealing with some tech issues. That said, hopefully I'll get the reveal up tomorrow.

19. Your Mac knowing you're going to throw away one of my 10s again.

20. [​IMG]

"What You Want" | 7.150

Rated 60th out of 84 total songs

Rated 9th out of 16 from So Real/I Wanna Be With You

Chart info or stats:

The 39th most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm

Liner Notes

Written by: Tony Battaglia, Shaun Fisher, Skip Masland
    Produced by: The Wasabees

Track 3 on So Real: Released: December 7th, 1999

"My own parade…"
    "Some boys are full of noise
    But boy, you've caught my ear
    Wanna see if you've got something to say
    No lies or alibis
    The nonsense stops here
    "

Is imitation the greatest form of flattery? If so, 'What You Want' puts that concept to the test. To me, it flops. Now, I will admit though, even in my own pop tastes the line between 'being annoyed by sound alikes' & 'being a fan of originality' is a blurry place. Mandy Moore was, as I'm sure you'll be unsurprised by, one of the tipping points in how even I thought about my own fandom of pop... and even music. She made me stop to wonder if I overthink things. Now, let me proceed to overthink this song!

So Real often got/still gets the criticism that it was little more than Epic's watered down attempt at teen pop with a Britney proxy. I even fell firmly into this camp in the early days of Mandy. She was a try hard, also ran, to me. As I became a fan of her, I strayed less from this narrative, but the copycat nature of So Real still bugged me in places. It just crossed that uncanny valley of 'too manufactured' in too many spots, to me. Over the years, it has bugged me less & less... and ultimately I landed on the understanding that Mandy was the least worrisome offender in the imitation issues that plagued my view of So Real. It was Epic & The Wasabees who main culprits in chasing Britney. Mandy was collateral damage in this quest.

"Who are The Wasabees?" I remember this finally popping into my head one day while listening to Mandy in the early 00's. Who are these random people responsible for a pretty this debut album by one the noughties more endearing acts. They are actually oddly fascinating to me in the ether pop culture, because there is so little about them. They were Tony Battaglia & Scott Fisher, who you’ve seen mentioned as writers on almost every So Real elimination thus far. Much in the spirit of early 00s branding power, their real names appear on the songwriting credits, but I guess they were really trying to brand themselves as an ‘on the move’ production team by naming themselves 'The Wasabees™". Such gimmicks were all the rage at the time.

We talk about flop artists, albums, & more on Popjustice. I’ve always really been into flop culture. I love failed movies, albums, books, whatever. It's likely one reason I love Mandy so much, to be honest. Despite her celebrity & talent... in the world of music she is a 'flop'. I don't mean in this a demeaning or bashing way... as obviously I adore her. She's even said as much about her career in music. She just never really had any success... outside of the occasional fluke single or soundtrack. Her album sales & chart success track record is, well, dubious.

Well, by all accounts The Wasabees were a flop production team. How they came into being the as the main producers on So Real, I have no idea & my research has brought up little Tony Battaglia is an Orlando based songwriter with a pretty extensive history in music pre-Mandy. Since Mandy was an Orlando native, maybe that’s how they connected. Shaun Fisher has even less info available & fewer credits both pre-Mandy & post-Mandy. As a production team, The Wasabees have very few credits other than So Real. They did some work with early 00’s girl group PYT (including ‘Anywhere USA’ from the Bring It On soundtrack) & had a semi successful dance remix of the song ‘Duel Of Fates’ from the Phantom Menace of all things.

And that’s it. That’s literally pretty much all their credits.

Why do I find all this so interesting? Well, the illusion of it all really.

One reason I found Mandy so annoying at the start was how calculated she felt. It seemed like Epic was throwing a ton of money behind this Britney clone. Despite my disdain for ‘Candy’ it at least felt like ‘big pop’. The production of the song was pretty big. The video was glossy & big. It felt like a lot of money was being spent & care was being put behind their young superstar. She just wasn't for me. When the dust settled, though, it turned out be a lot of smoke & mirrors & Mandy was really just was a ‘budget Britney', in a lot ways. (well , as least So Real, wanted her to be). Part of that low budget, was getting an unproven production team to lead the album. I thought the whole Mandy launch was the cloying & well-exectured strategy… when in actuality, it was kind of a mess (as proven by how fast they canned it to release the repackaged I Wanna Be With You.) They had no idea what they were doing with Mandy, past 'Candy'.

So Real was really perfectly of the Zeitgeist in so many ways. Smoke & mirrors were everywhere. From the emergence of green screen & CGI in movies... to the literal vaporware & bloated value of dot com companies that were about to go bust. 'Candy' it turned out, was just the expensive, nicely put together trailer for a movie that underwhelms you.

‘What You Want’ ties into all this pretty well. The song is probably the most obvious Britney knock-off on the album. I rolled my eyes hard the first time I heard it. You can almost hear Mandy being instructed to sound more like Britney. The song was used in some promos for the album & it's like they wanted people to know: 'she can sound like Britney, too!' Mandy doesn’t naturally sound like that. The ticks are so forced.

It’s not just her voice. Even the production just sounds like ...Baby One More Time filler. Is that what The Wasabees wanted to make? Is this what they were instructed to make? There are glimmers of originality on other tracks on the album, so this makes some of the more try-hard knock-offs all the more frustrating to understand. Parts of album just feels like it was made by a focus group.

I’ve mentioned on a couple of other So Real eliminations that other than 'Candy', the single strategy for the album was a mess. In fact, I don’t think there was a strategy. ‘Love You For Always’ was featured with an interlude on the album, making it stand out as a potential contender. ‘Love Shot’ was the lone Sturken & Rogers song, so I’m guessing some money was thrown behind that track. And then theres ‘What You Want’... which I think was also highly in the running.

‘What You Want’ was featured heavily in several early Mandy promos and of the songs she sang on her mini-tour. Even more interestingly, is that all the early promo flats & posters sent to record stores state that So Real ‘features the songs Candy & What You Want’ (see spoiler image below). This makes me think this song was yet another single contender. I’m so glad this didn’t happen personally. Mandy was already being heavily compared to the other ‘pop princesses’. This obvious Britney-wanna-be song, may have been too much. At least 'Candy' had kind of its own flavor. I do think 'What You Want' as a single, would’ve made the Britney fakery too much for me. Luckily, since it wasn’t a single, I 'missed out' on the song until later and by that time I could just shrug it off for what it is.

I will say this about 'What You Want'... I never expected to write a think piece about it almost 20 years ago when I heard it. Oh Mandy... ever my muse. She really does connect so many dots in how think & feel about pop music. Maybe I'm doing a lot here for such a basic bop, but a lot of this stuff has been floating around my head for years!

My Score: 6

"Kicking up confetti leaves…"

Sparkle In The Sky
    @tylerc904 (10):
    Screams single (more than the title track!) and truly a bubblegum bop. (It literally screamed single on the promo posters for the album!)

s-l1600.jpg

@Zar-Unity (10):
    One of my favorite songs from So real and I've felt like this one should have been a single. I love the beat
    and cool production sounds and samples on this one! The melody is one of my favorites and I think this song is one of the best for showcasing Mandy's cool attitude. The way this one just presents a bit more edgy attitude from her and just glides along with Mandy's amazing vocals is a definite standout! (Another vote for the 'should've been a single brigade'. Gawd, I wonder what my harsh original opinion of Mandy would've been had this been her first single. The upside down, indeed.)

@Music Is Life (9):
    As usual with this album, this bops but I don't love her vocals on some parts of this. The chorus is still really catchy though. (Yeah, I don't like her vocals here in some parts, too...haha!)

@vague (8):
    it kinda sounds like she's channeling Britney's babydoll voice a bit here. this sound is what comes to mind first wheenver i think of late '90s teen pop, so that's already a point in its favor. i find the verses a little forgetable, but, man, that chorus is fantastic. (Hopefully she was just channeling. All my academic assessments of the song aside: the chorus is pretty good here. It 'kinda slaps' as the kids say!)

@Remorque (8):
    This is quite enjoyable, Mandy gives us a fun performance and I love the way the production takes it up a notch during the chorus. It is a bit try-hard to these ears though, but what do I know as Schizophonic is one of my all-time most-listened-to albums... (Always here for a Schizophonic shout-out! Yes, this is all a bit try hard.. though probably not any more so that my write-up!)

@Robert (8)

@CasuallyCrazed (8.5).... (woohoo! Welcome to 'Sparkle Club'!)

Corner of your eye

@ohnostalgia (7.5)
    I appreciate Mandy injecting some grit into her vocal delivery. Try to break through the manufactured pop machine, Queen! ( Speaking of the upside-down, I feel like I've entered it reading this comment. I literally never thought of this song in that way. Maybe my new head canon for this song will be that by sounding like Britney, Mandy was subversively commenting on the pop machine! @ohnostalgia ... always keeping me on my toes & making me think outside the box.)

@unnameable (7.5):
    I like the way she sings about being interested in what they have to say and them “catching her ear”, it lifts it a little above the run of the mill flirty pop song. (Some of the lyrics ideas are pretty interesting... if not in that typical overly-loaded way of So Real.)

@RUNAWAY (7):
    again, this song is so dated and poorly written. (yes, this song is dated: March of 1998 when Britney recorded 'Baby One More Time.)

@LKane (6.2):
    The way this song starts is so terrible… but in general it is very catchy I have to say. (I've had this same response to several recent songs by today's big pop girls.)

@chris4862 (6): Wow, these lyrics. (The lyrics are as loaded as this commentary!)

@VivaForever (6), @robsoloete (7)

Still Undiscovered

@Florencia. (5): Cute, a little boring, but nothing special. (so, the right decision was made not making it a single.)

@Sprockrooster (5), @ladylloyd (4),

For Your Viewing & Listening Pleasure

What You Want: As featured in album promos & CDExtra content

The fleeting other work by The Wasabees

PYT: Anywhere USA (from the Bring It On soundtrack)

PYT: Call Me Anytime

Duel Of The Fates: Dance Force Mix (Mandy even touching over into my Star Wars fandom... she has no bounds!)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.