Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!) | Page 32 | The Popjustice Forum

Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by pop3blow2, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What's your favorite Mandy Moore album

1. So Real

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I Wanne Be With You

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Mandy Moore

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  4. Coverage

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Wild Hope

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  6. Amanda Leigh

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Other (soundtrack, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Not a 10... But it still hurts.

vague likes this.
  2. [​IMG]

vague, ohnostalgia and pop3blow2 like this.
    Zar-Unity and pop3blow2 like this.
  4. This is the first thing I thought of. Gawd, I love this song.

Zar-Unity, vague, Robsolete and 3 others like this.
  5. I'M SUCH A FLOP STAN.

vague and pop3blow2 like this.
  6. What You Want should have been Top 20 WHAT ON EARTH.

7. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I hear Britney fakery on other tracks, but not this one. I truly thought Mandy was doing her own vocal thing here. Maybe I’m the one who lives in the upside down world.

Anyway it’s nice to know there’s another harpsichord stan on the forum.

8. I love What You Want. For me it’s one of the strongest tracks on So Real and better than some of the songs left from it, including So Real and Walk Me Home.

Zar-Unity and berserkboi like this.
  9. So, it's been a bit of a rough week from a 'tech angle' in my life. My main computer has a failing logic board, & it is becoming unusable. Between all the random reboots, I've instituted some hacking (house of cards, here!) to get everything backed up & her stuff moved stuff moved to a old MacBook Air in the interim... while I figure out if I want to spend money on the repairs for this computer or get a 'new' one. *ugh*

Anywho, it's put me behind on a lot of things in both my work life & personal life. I've gotten most of the Mandy-rate stuff moved to my Dropbox, so hopefully I can get some more reveals put out this weekend. The next one was being worked on when all the shit hit the fan the other day.

10. EXTRAORDINARY ON THE GROCERY STORE RADIO KLAXON

And now they’re playing Kacey’s High Horse. I’ve said it before but I can’t say it enough: Wegmans’ store radio is incredible and whoever’s in charge of it must be a hunty.

(So sorry to hear of your computer travails @pop3blow2! I’d say if your computer is 4+ years old then replace it. My current MacBook Air is faster than the MacBook Pro it replaced after five years.)

11. Ooooh! I heard 'Extraordinary' in Louisville Airport awhile back before flying to Disney World. The kind of synchronicity I die for!

The Kroger grocery store in my area plays the amazing random pop music. I shared they played Crush a couple weeks back. Today I was in there & they were playing 'Anywhere' by Rita Ora (I thought of @Robsolete). I immediately started singing along & was side-eyed by someone. (Either they have no taste or I sound as bad I as I think I do.)

Yeah, my computer is a fairly old MacBook Pro & a workhorse... and a champ. I love it & my office set-up was so perfect. It really wasn't in my cards or budget for a new computer, right now. Like maybe later next year. I was hoping to squeeze a bit more life out of this one. Ugh. I'll figure it out. I'm debating on just getting a used Mac Mini in the interim & throwing down for an iPad Pro later this year... and having that be my new set-up. Regardless, it couldn't have happened at a worse time. I have 3 new clients & am in the middle of relaunching a website. Now all this. Sorry for the rant... I know your job is tech-related, so you feel my pain.

12. Indeed, it seems like several of the songs off of Mandy's Coverage album
    are super charged from the originals. The production on Coverage really was fantastic!

"What you want" should have been top ten. I'm completely with the
    upside down crowd in thinking that Mandy truly shined on this song
    and was giving Britney a run for her bubblegum pop. "What I want"
    is for "What you want" to hit top ten in another rate reality.
    What you want was one of a few other songs that almost ended up
    receiving my 11! In fact, it used to be my favorite song to listen to
    on So real. Fun facts. I had no idea that "What you want" was originally
    planned to be a single, despite the song featuring on the front album
    cover on a sticker.

Never heard of the stone poneys but color me intrigued! What a voice
    the lead singer has!

PYT were a pretty decent girl group. Why does nobody ever talk about them?
    Call me anytime is a bop and a half! I used to be fascinated by The Wasabee's
    as well, but was disappointed by how little I could find of their writing credits.
    But pretty much everything I have heard here by them has been really good.

Sorry to hear about your computer troubles @pop3blow2 I hope you can
    get it all worked out, and maybe end up with a better setup than what you had
    before. I could never imagine using a Mac, partly because I never had one
    before. Always been a WIndows persion.

Music Is Death, pop3blow2 and Robert like this.
  13. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Sephora was playing Extraordinary!

pop3blow2 and VivaForever like this.
  14. [​IMG]

"God Only Knows" | 7.164

Rated 59th out of 84 total songs

Rated 11th out of 21st from Soundtracks/Extras

Chart info or stats:

The 133rd most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm

Liner Notes

Written by: Brian Wilson & Tony Asher
    Produced by: unknown

Included in the film Saved! released May 28, 2004. (Never officially released.)

"My own parade…"
    Mojo magazine ranked 'God Only Knows' by The Beach Boys as the 13th greatest song of all time. In a poll on the MTV station, VH1, it placed at number 28 on the UK's Nation's Favourite Lyric. It was voted by listeners of BBC Radio 2 as one of the three songs that changes people's lives. In its list of the 100 best singles of the last 50 years, Popdose ranked "God Only Knows" at number 1, saying: "It is simply one of the most beautifully composed and arranged songs in the history of not just pop music, but Western music. To place 'God Only Knows' in its proper context is to compare it not just to 1966 Paul McCartney, but 1836 Frédéric Chopin." English broadcaster Dominic King deemed it the most "perfectly constructed song in pop history". Brian Wilson's mother, Audree Wilson, believes that "God Only Knows" was one of Brian's finest ever compositions, as she stated in an interview: "'God Only Knows' ... What can you say about it? I still think it's one of his greatest pieces." Entertainment Weekly ranked the song number one in its "Fifty Greatest Love Songs" list. (Wikipedia)

Yeah, where to start here? Wowsers.

Usually I have some grand thought for a jumping point when thinking about most of Mandy’s songs. ‘God Only Knows’ was trickier. There is so much going on here, both for Mandy & just me as Mandy fan. In many ways it was the ultimate moment of Meta-Mandy-Crossover-Synergy. But the the reality of the situation, is that despite all that, I just sort of like her version of the song. It’s just nice.

It was a moment, though.

First off, I will admit, this song lasted a lot longer in the rate that I thought it would. I figured it'd be one of the first 10 out. When I was researching songs for the rate, I was pretty sure I wanted to include it, but considered it pretty fringe. I mean, there was never even an official release of the song. I was a bit shocked to see the song had over 200,000 view on YouTube.

So many of my worlds collided on this little cover for a movie soundtrack… that was just a credits song. I mean, it was never even ever officially released!

Growing up I was pretty obsessed with the Beach Boys. Ok, pretty obsessed is an understatement. I have more Beach Boys music in my physical collection than other artist (like 50+ cds & 25+ vinyls). I started collecting in middle school & still grab the occasional item. I also have dozens of books & if you think I’m an encyclopedia about Mandy… well, don't get me started on The Beach Boys. It comes out it fits & starts on PJ, but I imagine one a whole wave will come at some point. I know they aren't for everyone, though.

And then there’s R.E.M. Simply put, they were the first ‘modern’ band I got into at that age ‘you get into music’. I was pretty young when their album
    Green came out, but I was obsessed with that album. Yes, 'Stand' was my bop. That album & the follow-up led me in investigate them more. I got obsessed with their early 80’s/pre-major label stuff. And yes, I read many books about them. The are certainly towards the top of my list when rating my all-time fave bands. So yeah, I'm a pretty big fan of lead singer & songwriter Michael Stipe.

When I saw Mandy was going to star in the film Saved!, being produced by Michael Stipe, I was intrigued. Once I saw previews & read about her role, I was ecstatic. It was the complete opposite of her most famous role in A Walk To Remember. Coming off of Coverage, where I watched her burn down the status-quo of teen pop, I was fascinated to see her now completely burning another bridge from her recent past. I literally had a friend who 'lost interest' in Mandy because they thought she was 'a good girl like Jamie in A Walk To Remember''. They were upset she had 'gone bad' & was trashing religion with her new movie. Me, well, I was obsessed with Mandy's mind. She was the ultimate pop culture iconoclast to me & Saved! coming on the heels of Coverage turned Mandy Moore into an untouchable goddess to me.

I read about the Michael Stipe duet with her of ‘God Only Knows’ before I saw the movie, so I expected it. I mean, the song choice is obviously loaded, in context of the film, but their take on it doesn’t come off cynical. I don't think it is. I think Mandy is reading the lyric the way Brian Wilson & Tony Asher intended. I know Michale Stipe is a fan of the Beach Boys & R.E.M. has more than one song that draws inspiration from them.

From what I understand, Mandy & director Brian Dannelly had the idea for her do a song for the movie & Mandy chose 'God Only Knows'. Keep in mind, this was the height of ‘Cover Mandy'. She had just released Coverage & a done a cover of 'Secret Love' for the Mona Lisa Smile soundtrack. Now, she was tackling arguably one of the greatest songs of the modern America songbook. Her choices during this time period were laser focused.

Choosing this song was both a bit of perfectly understanding the moment & how that cover would work in the context of the movie & really, in a certain way, within her musical career arc. The irony, for me during this period, is that I had just spent the last 6+ months comparing Coverage to Pet Sounds! (much to the chagrin of some friends, I'm sure.) So, as you can imagine, my mind was blown with the is new occurrence. It was kind of uncanny.

I’ll save my deeper thoughts for another time, but let me just say one reason I love Pet Sounds so much is less about the music on it (which is beyond amazing), but more about the rebellion in pop it ushered in. Pet Sounds was revolutionary because Brian Wilson made it his way. He disregarded the industry status quo & forged his own path when he could have very easily just kept making ‘fun summertime/surfing music’. In fact, many around him would’ve preferred that. 'Don't rock the boat', they told him.

Despite its title, 'God Only Knows' was never really meant to have any religious connotation. Brian, Tony Asher, & even Carl Wilson have all said the song is as much about a universal idea of a higher power. If anything, it's a mediation on love. Oddly, they knew the song would 'edgy' for the mid-60's. Brian thought putting the word 'God' in the title would be challenging, though, especially since you really need to listen to the song in context to understand it's not directly a religious song. Pretty fascinating & subversive stuff for the 60's. The fact that Mandy tapped into this subversiveness of the song & it was used in totally new way, in a movie tacking the ideas of how religion is misused.

As such a big Beach Boys fan, it’s easy to use it as a measuring tool for many moments in my personal music fandom where I can play ‘the Pet Sounds card’ on the development arc of an artist. Some of those times are maybe more of a stretch the others, but with Coverage-era Mandy, I legit got some of that good old fashioned pop rebellion from. The whole Saved movie role & her cover God Only Knows fit perfectly in the narrative. Whether it was planned or accidental… I guess I don’t know or care. I don't even completely care that with all this great connective tissue, the end result song is even a bit slight. It was all just such a perfect moment in the Mandy narrative.

My Score: 8.2

"Kicking up confetti leaves…"

Sparkle In The Sky
    @LKane (10):
    This one is just perfect. plus, Saved is my fave movie from her. (Saved is up there for me, too! It really is a perfect cover choice in many ways.)

@unnameable (10):
    one of my favourite Beach Boys songs, she really does a perfect version of this. (I mean, I'm not about to derail this lovefest!)

@vague (9.25):
    ugh, i LOVE this song. i had no idea Mandy had covered it. (Yeah, it's a bit of a hidden gem in her discog.)

@Zar-Unity (9):
    Ahh what a cute song! This sounds kind of Christmas-like. Am I wrong? I've never seen the movie Saved but I do love this song and the way Mandy sounds on it. A perfect inspiring tune for Mandy to sing. This is one of the highlights of her soundtrack songs to hear. The opening instrumentation and the way the song plays along with her voice is very nice. (Yeah, its not a Christmas song, but there was always a christmassy feel to even the Beach Boys version.)

@Music Is Life (8.5):
    This is cute. It bops, and the mix between the two of their voices is nice. The “guitar solo” brought this up a bitty. ( As two artists I love, I want to like the mix of their voices more. Never quite sure they completely clicked though. I still enjoy it, though.)

@Remorque (9), @CasuallyCrazed (10)

Corner of your eye

@ohnostalgia (6):
    Being from the Saved! soundtrack, I realize this is supposed to be a parody performance. However, it doesn’t really scream satire to me. So then I’m forced to evaluate it more like a real coveR and on that level it fails. The best part of God Only Knows is the harmonizing and Mandy and Michael are just not in it together. I haven’t watched Saved! in a long time so perhaps that’s The Point.. but it’s a miss from me on both levels. (Yeah, you articulate what I try to broach in my write-up and why my overall score is probably lower than my write-up would lead someone to believe. The idea & ambition on the song is better than the actual end result. I don't think it's supposed to be a complete parody though. Maybe it's too clever for its own good.)

@VivaForever (6):
    I still need to see this movie tibb. Mandy, Macaulay Caulkin, Johanna from The Hunger Games, and Lilly from The Princess Diaries in a parody of Evangelicalism? Yas! Anyway, the song is… fine. The Beach Boys are overrated as fuck. (I agree with so much of this... and the it falls apart! Ha! I knew of your Beach Boys dislike, though. So I took your commentary in stride.)

@tylerc904 (6), @Robert (6), @rosolete (6), @chris4862 (7), @RUNAWAY (7)

Still Undiscovered

@Sprockrooster (5), @ladylloyd (3), @Florencia. (3)

For Your Viewing & Listening Pleasure

The Original by The Beach Boys (goosebumps, even though I've heard it thousands of times)

One of R.E.M.'s songs, obviously inspired by God Only Knows

Saved! Opening Title Sequence (featuring the song)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Robert, Zar-Unity, LKane and 8 others like this.
  15. I don't actually hate the Beach Boys or anything. I'm just meh on them.

I think the reason God Only Knows (in any form) doesn't work for me is its ubiquity, and specifically its ubiquity in ads and movies and newscasts and things. It's one of a class of songs that get used in different stuff so much that, through no fault of their own, they eventually seem less like actual songs and more like jingles at worst, and at best, generic filler pieces of music - pop equivalents of Canon in D or Beethoven's 5th, used not for their musical value but to slot in based on a faint lyrical tie at the behest of someone in the music department too lazy (or underpaid) to come up with anything creative.

Off the top of my head, it's a class that also includes Fun Fun Fun, The Best, Come Sail Away, Hallelujah, Born in the USA, The Go-Go's' Vacation, Girls Just Want to Have Fun, You Spin Me Round, Stop! In the Name of Love, ABC, Sarah McLachlan's I Will Remember You, My Heart Will Go On, Hot Stuff, You Sexy Thing, Walking on Sunshine, We Will Rock You, Anticipation...

That's not a drag on those songs, because several of them are such bops that I like them anyway - to further my previous analogy, making them the equivalents of Beethoven's 5th. Hallelujah probably stands alone out of that list as the Canon in D, a song that I find diabolically terrible on its own demerits, so only hate even more for its popularity. Yes, I realize this is a wildly unpopular opinion.

But most of them, and God Only Knows is one of these, are songs that I'm meh on or slightly like, but that I might enjoy if they hadn't been diluted for me by the out-of-context overuse. Which I suppose would make them equivalent to, like, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik.

CasuallyCrazed and pop3blow2 like this.
  16. Yeah, this is fair.

The irony with the 'jingle-fication' of The Beach Boys is that Brian & Mike Love (who I don't really like but feel for in this story) got screwed big time by Brian's abusive dad, Murry. All of those hit Beach Boys songs from their peak ('62-'69) were owned by a publishing company Murry set-up. After the Beach Boys fired him as their manager (because he was abusive asshole) he held a grudge. When the group started flopping in the late 60's, he self-declared 'they had peaked' & without anyone other member's consent sold all the rights to their songs to another outside company for $700,000. That's right, Brian's own dad sold all of his amazing songs to someone else without permission.

It today's value the sale is worth between $5-10 million, but more important than money is the fact that Brian lost all control of how his song were used. The other publishing company (Irving Alamo) just willy nilly licensed all the songs as cheaply as possible, to whomever wanted. That's why in the 80's & 90's there were Beach Boys songs also over commercials & why there was such a glut of generic 'Best of Beach Boys' cd's with a few hits, but lots of other songs from the catalog. Some of this story accounts for the how their music got 'jingle-fied'. I mean, maybe Brian would sold some of those songs anyways at some point, but the fact he didn't have a say was just such a disgusting move by his father.

17. Lila

Lila Staff Member

Let’s drag Mike Love a bit too though! I had no idea you were a Beach Boys stan but your taste is impeccable so I should have known.

18. *overly confident font*
    Why yes, @Lila ... thank you so much for noticing! My taste actually is impeccable, if I do say so myself.

*as eyes were rolling at his last response... he quickly proceeded to hide evidence of some highly suspect taste. Haha!*
    [​IMG]

Seriously though, yeah... I'm a huge Beach Boys stan. I finally saw Brian last year, for his Pet Sounds tour. it was really amazing & he was as charming as he could be despite all his various aliments. While he's not super involved in the proceedings , just being in a room with him & herein his songs played a super talented orchestra playing that album was special.

Yeah, Mike Love is a jerk. I have little love for him, but he did write with Brian on a lot of those songs... so I even sided with him in that instance. 99% of the time that dude doesn't deserve the time of day. He won the genetic lottery being cousins with the Wilson kids.

ohnostalgia and vague like this.
  19. Let's not forget the two most important Beach Boys-related (literally) people in music:

Carnie tweeted me once. She's a sweetheart.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  20. Yeah that song has to be massively overrated cause I don't even really remember it. I'd probably know it if I heard it, but it's not going to pop into my head.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.