Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!) | Page 36 | The Popjustice Forum

Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by pop3blow2, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What's your favorite Mandy Moore album

1. So Real

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I Wanne Be With You

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Mandy Moore

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  4. Coverage

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Wild Hope

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  6. Amanda Leigh

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Other (soundtrack, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Yeah, it's a good one! Not sure it'd be my 11 in a Selena rate, but a 10 for sure. Leah has been a part of some tunes.

Also, you all are never derailing things if you want to stan any of the random Mandy connections I include in the write-up or ensuing playlist. So don't worry about that. I'll reign it in if necessary.

Music Is Death and Sprockrooster like this.
  2. I haven't seen either Stuart Little movie in forever.
    Also Leah's credits...holy Jesus lots of favorites there.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  3. Aw, I'm actually incredibly happy for Top of the World to make it this far though. It's a perfect soundtrack song, Mandy sounds fantastic and I remember thinking it was a fantastic discovery after downloading it from some dodgy site. Oh, the days.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  4. [​IMG]

"Latest Mistake" | 7.322

Rated 47th out of 84 total songs

Rated 11th out of 12 from Wild Hope

Chart info or stats:

The 36th most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm
    The 8th most
    scrobbled song from Wild Hope

Liner Notes

Written by: Mandy Moore & Lori McKenna
    Produced by: John Alagia

Track 10 on Wild Hope released June 19, 2007

"My own parade…"
    "This is a delicate unraveling
    Now and then I find pieces on the floor
    Tiny little bits that tell me
    Maybe I shouldn't do this
    Or love you anymore
    "

For the second time in this rate we wind up exactly 20 songs between eliminations from specific albums. (Earlier it occurred with self-titled & 'From Loving You' #75 - 'When I Talk to You' #55… and now it happens for Wild Hope with ’Can’t You Just Adore Her’ #67 - ‘Latest Mistake’ #47).

First things first, I’m not incredibly thrilled that both songs we’ve lost off of Wild Hope were the ones with my dear Sara Watkins on background vocals. Y’all really breaking my heart, here. (edit: ‘Looks at scores & realizes those are my two lowest songs on Wild Hope, too. Dammit.)

It’s funny. The first song we lost from Wild Hope, ‘Can’t You Just Adore Her’ got snagged up for a random country cover… and this one was hanging out right there! What a better choice for cover potential. While Mandy has never really done a completely 100% country song on her albums, the strains of her interest in the genre really show up on Wild Hope. To me, they creep in the most on this song. Maybe it's just the Lori McKenna as collaborator really paying dividends or maybe it's a little Mandy's vocal tone & attitude. All that said, I could easily hear some slight production tweaks being made to 'Latest Mistake' & seeing it fit comfortably on a Faith Hill, Martina, or even Shania album of the day. It just seems much more tailor made that slicker Nashville country sound, given the right producer.

Oh, Mandy.

It would be easy for me to go off on a tangent here. Maybe that’s happening anyways. Mandy was just a bit out step with her music choices… but dangerously close to being right on the mark of the zeitgeist. Much like Coverage, where she really did have her finger to pulse of pop ready to become a ‘cover industry’ with the likes of American Idol, Glee. & even YouTube; with Wild Hope Mandy had really properly tapped into the folky-but-kinda-glossy-country craze that was gaining momentum in the mid 00's. I call it ‘Gap Country’ for lack of a better term.

Gap Country is bumpkin music, but basically a more fashionable style of country music with pop sensibilities. The kind of bumpkin music you'd hear at the mall. It would, of course, become a movement properly owned by Taylor Swift, but in 2007 it was anyone's game in the run to be the queen. I still had delusions of grandeur that Mandy could rise to the heights of international supercool & become the reigning queen of a new movement I saw bubbling up. She'd finally get the recognition & sales she deserved... and forever be remembered to the annals of pop as the 'Candy girl who went folk & blew up.'

This was, of course, the completely random mental gymnastics by a superfan. I just desperately wanted her to succeed, to break the odds stacked against her. I flat-out adored everything about Wild Hope (the songs, the production, her style... she nailed it all) & I saw the goal lines right there, if only the stars could line up & get her over the hump. She really didn't even need to be 'the winner' as my brain set-up. I just wanted her in the conversation more.

Alas, Wild Hope followed the frustrating pattern of other Mandy albums. A spurt of interest & attention by the industry at the start & the campaign quickly sputtered in oblivion.

"Someone's gonna have to fess up
    Someone's gonna have to clean this mess up"

I love the lyrics in 'Latest Mistake'. They not only do great job of conveying the mini-narrative Mandy is spilling the tea on, but all the shifting back & forth to a seemingly internal monologue is just really good songwriting.

While I suppose my score indicates I do find it a bit weaker than some other songs on the album, 'Latest Mistake' is heightened by some nice little flourishes. Some of those are from the aforementioned background vocals. The little ‘don’t know how that ever goes’ on the chorus is just divine… and maybe actually my favorite part of the whole song.

'Latest Mistake' is just another of many stops on the Wild Slayage train where I ponder many things about how Mandy never quite fit into pop landscape (from a sales or airplay standpoint), even though she was properly of the moment in many instances... and even arguably ahead of the curve a couple of times.

My Score: 8.8

"Kicking up confetti leaves…"

Sparkle In The Sky

@unnameable (10):
    this has the best chorus on the album. (I mean, it's a really good one, for sure. I'm telling you, there's a hit in there.)

@Zar-Unity (9.5):
    Another very radio friendly tune with a more serious expression that is performed in a light hearted way. Mandy sounds so fitting singing on this song! It almost doesn't work but it does because the song is so cleverly crafted. I think this is one of her best songs for her vocal performance and how well the song is performed. Mandy certainly had an amazing talented backing band on her Wild hope album! This is very country but somehow I don't really mind this here. I can't deny my love for this song. The beat and rhythm here is very fun and enjoyable. (See @Zar-Unity is on the 'it could've been a radio hit, too. The song is crafted so well.)

@Robsolete (10), @RUNAWAY (10), @ladylloyd (8), @vague (9)

@Music Is Life (9):
    I really liked this, the production is great, and the verses are a great set-up for the catchy chorus. The middle-8 might just be the best part. (Everyone in the 'sparkle zone' here, obviously needed to be on Mandy's PR team in 2007. I have a funny personal story about that at some point.)

Corner of your eye
    @VivaForever (6) :
    I couldn’t quite place what this reminded me of at first, but then I remembered… Una Healy’s solo album. Except Una’s album is, somehow, better. (I cannot say I'd heard any of Una's solo stuff, but having giving a listen on YouTube... I'm a bit intrigued. )

@Sprockrooster (7), @tylerc904 (6), @chris4862 (6), @florenica. (6), @Remorque (6)

@LKane (6): I don't like this one. (Ok. Fair, valid, & to the point!)

@ohnostalgia (6): Beige (It's a bit beige, I can actually hear that - not that I mind some beige pop, here & there. The beigeness might be why it's one only two songs under a 9 for me on Wild Hope. There's enough little moments in there for it to great for me though. I love how economical you are with your words & then I ramble out a thee sentence retort. Haha!)

Still Undiscovered

@Robert (5), @CasuallyCrazed (3.5)

For Your Viewing & Listening Pleasure

A bit of Una Healey, because why not

And my favorite Marina McBride song, since I mentioned her & her name is a M.M. combo, too!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  5. Seething.

In no way is that the second worst song on Wild Hope, it's gorgeous.

6. So far the order of Wild Hope is wrong. And that is actually neglecting the fact that there are cuts from Wild Hope to begin with.

Music Is Death and vague like this.
  7. I haven't quite started the next elimination yet, but looking over the scores here's a fun fact: It's the only song in the rate where I'm the lone 10 giver.

With that info, here's a Bonus hint, because I'm sure you're probably thinking 'Well, surely knowing he's a noted Coverage stan, it's off that album then.' You'd be wrong!

Random Mandy... always full of surprises.

8. [​IMG]

"Invisible Ink (Rebecca's Demo)" | 7.333

Rated 46th out of 84 total songs

Rated 7th out of 21 from Soundtracks & Extras

Chart info or stats:

The 130th most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm

Liner Notes

Written by: Taylor Goldsmith & Siddhartha Khosla
    Produced by: Taylor Goldsmith & Siddhartha Khosla

Stand alone, single (as of this writing) realized November 14, 2018

"My own parade…"
    "People say it's nice to meet me
    I often wonder why
    I've studied my reflection
    I've looked me in the eye"

I wasn’t completely sure where to start here. Not because I don’t what to write, but because there’s too much. My brain & emotions got overwhelmed. This is the only song I might wind up including all the lyrics for in the post. The reasons for that are likely obvious. Every one is important. In fact, in true concept to this rate, I decided to just let the lyrics guide my thoughts. I used them as the canvas bounds for this write-up.

‘Invisible Ink’ is Mandy’s newest song, being released in November of 2018. It’s also the first original song to bear her voice since the Tangled soundtrack in 2010
    (minus Callie The Cat). As such a huge fan of Mandy, I must admit I had sadly started to give up hope on hearing new music from her. I wasn't sure why she had stopped making music at the time, but it just didn't seem to be on her radar anymore. Thankfully, This Is Us came along.

This song is the state of Mandy’s world last decade from concentrate. Even throwing around my oft-used term #MetaMandy, doesn't quite due this song's soul justice. Everything about it is both breathtaking & heartbreaking. I’m not sure I ever wanted to just an artist a hug more, than after I heard this song… and just thank her for being her, staying strong, remaining true to her self, & being inspiring.

Unlike many other write-ups, where by brain possibly conjectures a narrative strain into Mandy’s career, that may or not be there, this song is 100% on-brand for everything Mandy is. The metaphors & symbolism are as straightforward as they come, even through the irony of being sung by a character. This is a song being sung by strong woman, who while beaten & somewhat broken by life’s setbacks, is resigned to push forward & forge a fresh path.

"But I still can't draw conclusions
    I'm still talking out of turn
    Now I ask too many questions
    About the lessons I won't learn"

Writing the tens of thousands of words about Mandy for this rate so far has been a joy. She is a journey through my pop fandom, in all of its facets... & thus the last 20 years of my life. I started throwing around the phrase ‘Meta Mandy’ early on in this rate, because it’s a realization I had about her many years ago… and this was long before she was rejected in her character of Tangled, her stunted musical career due to an abusive husband, & her redemption via a tv show where she plays a struggling singer.

"Invisible Ink" is a crushing lyric on its own, with no point of reference of the show. Just Mandy, her voice, & those lyrics. After I re-listened to this song in February, when she came forward about her marriage, I lost it.

If my Meta Mandy takes in the rate write-ups have ever seemed dubious, 'Mandy Inception' reaches heartbreakingly crushing levels with the fact that her new husband wrote this song for her. Normally I include the videos after the write-up, but for this one it’s imperative that you watch these two here to really get the full effect of how deep this concept runs through this song.

Mandy truly is inspiring... as the two special songwriters of 'Invisible Ink' were able to properly tap into.

"Turns out all my mistakes were forgivable
    And the time I spent lost was a sign
    That all the ink is invisible
    If you give it, give it enough time"

The subtitle to this song is ‘(Rebecca’s Demo)’. I realize some of you may not watch the show This Is Us (or have any interest), which is of course completely fine. I, one of the biggest Mandy Moore fans on the planet, couldn’t be bothered to really start watching it until I heard this song. There was nothing personal against the show. I just have a queue of literally hundreds of things to watch & the while the premise seemed somewhat interesting, it also seemed like a possibly sappy network drama. So… it just kept getting pushed to the back burner. The only reason it was on a burner at all was because Mandy Moore was in it.

Having watched a couple season’s now I can whole-heartedly say: It’s a fantastic show. This is mainly due to the stellar cast, but for what it is, it’s actually an amazingly well done & touching drama. I do cry a lot watching it… and I’m not really a TV/movie crier. You’ve been warned.

I am a ‘song crier’ though. And 'Invisible Ink (Rebecca’s Demo)' makes me cry for a lot reasons. I’m a bit teary & emotional as we speak.

"Now I think my eyes are open
    I take a deeper dive
    When I feel the blue surround me
    That's when I come alive"

On the show Mandy play a character Rebecca Pearson. The show follows the emotional highs & lows of a family through several generations. In her ‘younger days’ on the show, Mandy’s character gives her love of music a try… to consistently mixed results. #MetaMandy

The fact that her character records a demo on the show with these amazingly relevant lyrics to Mnady’s life & they were co-written by her new husband… is just perfect to me. Taylor Goldsmith (lead singer & songwriter for the band Dawes) seems like genuinely nice guy & more importantly proud & supportive of his wife. As we’ve discussed, this isn’t something she had for a long time. (I should point out that the song is co-written by the equally amazing Siddhartha Khosla who has written songs & scores for tons of stuff. He obviously has an intimate grasp on Mandy’s journey too. Both her fictional This Is Us character & her real life struggles.)

The double whammy of this song being a written by husband using music as a way to know his wife better, from her option of view & then that song becoming the the first original music by his wife in nearly a decade. Well, you get it.

"When it starts to feel too lonely
    When it's out of my control
    When the world goes on without me
    Will I feel it take its toll?"

Mandy has had her ups & downs the last decade. It’s hard to listen to this song & not hear the possible autobiographical sentiment it is drenched in. She was so obviously not in a good place for many years & this song seems like the ultimate catharsis for her. It's the embodiment of what art & music is about.

As fans, we go on this journey with our favorite artists. It's not always easy & even we get disillusioned with them from time to time. Invisible Ink though, shows us that maybe we don't know the whole story. Maybe said artist is just as frustrated with where they are at in their life or career, as we are with the output (or lack of) they have been giving up. I'm a huge fan of songs that act as pseudo 'start of the artist' messages & this songs is one of the best ever.

"Turns out all my mistakes were forgivable
    And the time I spent lost was a sign
    That all the ink is invisible
    If you give it, give it enough time
    If you give it, give it enough time"

'Invisible Ink' isn’t just a song. It’s a statement of Mandy finally moving to a place of safety, love, & support in her life. It’s a statement of purpose to herself, delivered by proxy through a character that she is connected to & that has now given her an Emmy nomination (deserved because she’s amazing on the show). So, in many respects, the song is becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy about giving things time & then maybe success will come. Patience is so hard, but this song really connects the dots of that virtue. Couple that with the fact that song is written by people who understand her so well, that they wrote a song this perfect for her. She just sings it from such a pure place.

After such a dry-spell I don’t know what the future brings for the wonderful woman’s music career. I greedily used to be irritated with her because she stopped putting out music. After I heard ‘Invisible Ink’, I understood where her head was & didn’t care anymore. After I listed to it with the knowledge of her marriage, I just felt sad. Even if se never recored a song again, it was more important to hear that maybe, just maybe she was ok & this song was part of her personal mental health.

To know she actually has a new music in the pipeline now, is just some extra sparkles in my sky and proves that it's worth sticking with your faves no matter how long its been. Sometimes if the wait is rough for us fans, it is likely quantified x1000 for the artist.

"Just give it time"

Just give them time.

My Score: 10

Sparkle In The Sky

@Zar-Unity (9.1):
    This one sounds really pretty! I can get into this! Just an acoustic guitar and Mandy's amazing voice is really all you need to make a beautiful, moving song. It's amazing how all this time Mandy still sounds just as beautiful and passionate singing as she did before so many years ago. I really need Mandy to come out with a new album, even if it is just unplugged and raw acoustic ballads with her voice, I'd still be satisfied.

@chris4862 (9):
    Amanda Leigh 2.0 is calling.

@Music Is Life (9.5):
    This is gorgeous. Love it.

@ohnostalgia (8.5):
    Giving me “there can be a million people in the room” teas.

@unnameable (8.5):
    a lovely ballad which shows her vocal strength

@Robert (8), @Robsolete (9), @vague (8.75)

Corner of your eye
    @LKane (7.9):
    Her voice has grown up so much, and for good.

@Sprockrooster (7), @ladylloyd (6), @Florencia. (7), @RUNAWAY (7.5), @Remorque (7)

Still Undiscovered

@tylerc904 (3), @CasuallyCrazed (2.25)

@VivaForever (4):
    I’ve never watched This Is Us, and I’m getting the feeling based on these songs that it’s exactly what I think it is: bland, sickly nonsense for Midwestern white people and people who want to be Midwestern white people. Emphasis on ‘bland.’ Hey, full circle back to Nicholas Sparks!

Some Dawes, because it's deserved here

"Things Happen"

"All Your Favorite Bands"

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  9. Well, I've had a day to let that last that write-up exit my system, so I've started dabbling in the next one. As if that last elimination wasn't a big loss for me, I do feel inclined to let everyone know that we lose our fifth 11 with the next reveal. Should have that one up in the next couple of days.

Also, I've decided that if I ever do write my book of essays about Mandy Moore's music & career, I might just call it Meta Mandy...ha! Of course, you all will have already read like have of it, by participating in this rate!

Robert, berserkboi and vague like this.
  10. Invisible Ink is gorgeous, you swines!

11. [​IMG]

"Ladies' Choice" | 7.344

Rated 45th out of 84 total songs

Rated 10th out of 12 from Wild Hope

Chart info or stats:

The 61st most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm
    The 10th most
    scrobbled song from Wild Hope

Liner Notes

Written by: Mandy Moore, Rachael Yamagata, Chris Holmes
    Produced by: John Alagia

Track 11 on Wild Hope released June 19, 2007

"My own parade…"
    “Goodbye, sweetheart
    Countdown started
    Words are heavy
    But I'm far from broken hearted”

And so we come to final song in our series of ‘non-eponymous’ song titles. In only the most random & Mandy-riffic was possible, it’s the third 11 in a row with we’ve lost in this rate with a non-eponymous title: ‘Pocket Philosopher’ & ‘Nothing Everything’ completing this bizarre song triangle in the rate.

‘Ladies’ Choice’ has Mandy roping in another unsung treasure for the purposes of our rate, Rachael Yamagata, to help us with proceedings. I was fairly obsessed with Rachael’s 2004 album Happenstance, for a good bit of the early naughties. It appears Mandy was, too. Taste.

Rachael was a co-writer on this track, played piano, & sang background. She also sang background on some other songs on the album (notably the title track). Her & Mandy formed a wonderful friendship and even toured together during the Wild Hope campaign, sometimes joining each other on stage (see video below).

In her own right, Rachael is a stunning artist. Not only has she put out several albums you should check out, but the list of other artists she has collaborated with the last 15+ years is something & quite diverse. (Bright Eyes, Katharine McPhee, Duncan Sheik, & many more.)

I guess in this particular rate's narrative I’d be remiss in not mentioning that Rachel also did some great work with Mandy’s, no-need-to-mention-by-name-ex-husband. This including both some writing and singing with him.

That last nugget of info adds an element of odd Pyrrhic foreshadowing to lyrics of ‘Ladies Choice’. While written before her marriage, they could be very much be a cautionary tale for the next 5 years of her life & the traumatic way things would end in.

“You did everything
    I asked you not to
    Look where it got you
    I'm sure
    You heard it before
    But, how could you?
    Baby, why would you?…

I’ll miss the version of you
    Who loved me
    And all that they don't see
    You said you could be good
    Somehow you're guilty
    And you're not even sorry”

'Ladies’ Choice' is both a rallying cry for jilted lovers & inescapably full of resigned sadness how the whole even unfolded. It makes for a compelling listen, both in the combination of emotions it touches upon & unique storytellling.

Mandy really owns the lyric & the production choices are spot on, primarily the cello. My favorite moment of the song is actually the very end, when the guitar repeats the last notes of the chorus one last time, while drenched in reverb & tremolo. (‘Raise your glass,’ indeed.) As the lead in to album closer, it’s simply divine sequencing. It literally leads us 'to the end of the line' on the album. Her mind.

If the song suffers from anything, it might be that it takes its cues a bit too close to the mark & be a bit too comfortable in its being inspired by Happenstance (& being written with Rachael). Being such a fan of that album, it sounds like something that could’ve easily been on that album, rather than living singularly in the world of Wild Hope.

Familiarity & referencing your inspiration is weird in my music fandom. Sometimes I'm probably too quick to celebrate music that reminds me of something old & I think pays ‘proper homage’. By that same token, sometimes I can be less quick to praise new music from an established that sounds too much like a contemporary artist or movement. That idea gets dicey when an artist is working with said contemporary & obviously wants to make music that sounds like its part of that scene. There is a deliberate artistic choice being made by Mandy here & again, she tingles a part of music nerdom brain that gets me excited. I’ve always been interested in the concept of ‘when does an established artist properly referencing a contemporary sonic movement cross the line into merely copycat territory?’ I don’t know the answer to that.

Ultimately, 'Ladies’ Choice' does sound like a song that could’ve fallen off a Rachael album or even more-so another fave of mine’s Leona Naess (Gawd dammit, she’s another stunning lady with a connection to Mandy’s creep ex-husband. Ponderous man, effing ponderous.)

Anyways, regardless of some potential petty hangups, my brain & ears have decided that’s a compliment to this song that it sounds familiar & worthy of comparison to some of Mandy’s contemporaries. Unlike her earlier music, in which her producers sometimes shamelessly aped the sound of her contemporaries in attempt to sell more albums, ‘Ladies’ Choice’ is just that: Mandy’s choice to sound like her contemporaries. And for that, it’s a moment to be celebrated.

“Raise a glass
    No surprise
    Here's to us at the end of the line “

My Score: 9

Sparkle In The Sky

@RUNAWAY (11):
    I was in love with this song from the moment I heard it. I was on the edge of my seat when Mandy said she was working with Rachael Yamagata (my favorite artist of all time) and this collaboration really delivered. These lyrics are so meaningful to me and this song is PERFECTION to me. (Sorry this one is leaving already. The Wild Hope cuts are tough. I also love Rachael, so I hope the write-up does a little justice & eases the blow some.)

@Zar-Unity (10)
    Probably the most hard hitting and passionate sounding song on the album for me. It's so emotional and engaging, I am completely captivated. Mandy sounds powerful singing here even though it is still in her new singing style that sometimes doesn't really seem to fit her that well. Everything from the lyrics, to the slow build up to her intense singing to the beautiful melody is amazing! I forgot how much I loved this one on Wild hope. This song gets even better at the 3:45 mark, to the point where all I can say is "wow!". One of Mandy's best songs period! (You really hear how much this song means to her in live version. There's even more power & passion in her vocal, if that is possible.)

@Music Is Life (10)
    Love this, it's a great mid-tempo, and I love the way it builds. The best part, and what made it a 10 are the lyrics though. Drag him Mandy! (Yeah, I agree here. While some of the sonic touches really heighten the song, over the years the thing that I think makes it hold up the most are lyrics. Especially now, after other events in her life.)

@Sprockrooster (9), @ladylloyd (10), @vague (8.5)

Corner of your eye
    @ohnostalgia (6.5):
    I like the strings? (Me too! And....)

@LKane (6.7):
    Better than the previous track (A move in a positive direction. Will it hold up with @RUNAWAY, though? Haha!)

@unnameable (6):
    for me this is the only song that vaguely approaches filler status on the album, and it’s still thoroughly listenable. (I think it could potentially be considered a weaker song to me if it were in another spot on the album. Its placement leading into Gardenia defers any chance of that for me.)

@tylerc904 (6.5), @Robsolete (7.5), @chris4862 (6), @Florencia. (6), @Remorque (7)

Still Undiscovered

@VivaForever (5), @CasuallyCrazed (4.5), @Robert (3)

Live version with Rachael Yamagata

Some more Rachael

My fave song by her: Be Be Your Love (Ladies' Choice reminds a bit of this song)

And a bit of Leonna Naess for the road, since I mentioned her. AND BECAUSE I LOVE HER. Ladies' Choice could've easily been on this album by her.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  12. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

Nobody talk to me right now. I am DISTRAUGHT.

13. So, we've now eliminated 40 songs in this rate. Just quick recap of the 'bottom 40' songs as voted by our panel:

The bottom 30
    #84: Amazing Lucky Scarf
    #83: Healing Incantation
    #82: Singing To The Song Of Life
    #81: Stupid Cupid
    #80: On The Line
    #79: Your Face
    #78: Quit Breaking My Heart
    #77: Song About Home
    #76: Swept Away
    #75: From Loving You
    #74: Love You For Always
    #73: Help Me
    #72: I Like It
    #71: Everblue
    #70: When Will My Life Begin
    #69: Willin'
    #68: Umbrella
    #67: Can't You Just Adore Her
    #66: Let Me Be The One
    #65: Wind In My Hair

#64: Lock Me In Your Heart
    #63: Love Shot
    #62: Anticipation
    #61: Nothing Everything
    #60: What You Want
    #59: God Only Knows
    #58: Breaking Us In Two
    #57: Pocket Philosopher
    #56: Not Too Young
    #55: When I Talk To You

The last batch of 10

#54: One Way Or Another
    #53: Feel Me
    #52: I See The Light
    #51: 17
    #50: Bug
    #49: Indian Summer
    #48: Top Of The World
    #47: Latest Mistake
    #46: Invisible Ink
    #45: Ladies Choice (@RUNAWAY's 11)

This last batch of 10 was quite the smattering of eliminations, but at least debut era got a break. It came at the cost of Wild Hope finally losing a couple of songs, though. We also lost the song that may well make Mandy immortal & her most streamed song on Spotify, 'I See The Light'.

We said goodbye to another 11, this batch. The double-dagger in that it was a Wild Hope song. A great pick by RUNAWAY nonetheless. It was kind of a rough round for me, as I lost two 10's for the first time & both songs that would 11 contenders in a world where my 11 didn't exist!

And with that...Here’s some tea about the next 10 songs we lose.

> Everyone's 11's are safe in the batch of 10. *sighs of relief*
    > Every album or category loses at least one song, though!
    > In fact, one beloved album will lose back-to-back songs.

Just a reminder that there is a running scoreboard on page 1 of the rate. I'm trying to keep it up to date & also adding a section for 11's as we lose them (sorry to tag you all again there & bring the pain! It's for the records though). I'll keep with Mandy's style from 2003/Coverage-era a few more elimination graphics, because it's my fave.

14. I feel like I underscored that a bit. It's probably one of the lesser songs on Wild Hope but my scores for that album were so crazy high that I tried to balance it out a little. I'd definitely give it a bit of a higher mark if I had to rate it again though.

Also, @pop3blow2 I wish you'd started taking part in PJ00s earlier as I sent in Leona Naess (Charm Attack) and Rachael Yamagata (Worn Me Down) in the earlier rounds!

15. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

Hmmmmm.....that gives me an idea...

vague and Robsolete like this.
  16. Yeah, those would've likely been automatic 12's those rounds (or immediate contenders at the very least!)

vague, berserkboi and Robsolete like this.
  17. Go on...

I say we go back and retroactively add your 12s to my scores!

18. Listening to some Mandy today (of course). I can't help but chuckle at the 'Fans Also Like'. Mainly the inclusion of Jennifer Love Hewitt (who I actually listened to quite a bit back in the day!), but who I think was even a bigger flop than Mandy sales wise (did she have any top 40 hits?). No really casting shade, but it's funny she's included there.

(Also, I guess their algorithm completely disregards Mandy's career past 2003, haha!)

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 1.52.17 PM.png

Also *scream* at me typing this while listening to 'Jennifer' by M2M.

19. [​IMG]

"The Way To My Heart" | 7.361

Rated 44th out of 84 total songs

Rated 7th out of 16 from So Real/I Wanna Be With You

Chart info or stats:

The 67th most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm

Liner Notes

Written by: Johnny Pederson, Karston Dahlgaard, & Paul Rein
    Produced by: Corey Rooney & Dan Shea

Track 4 on I Wanna Be With You May 9, 2000

"My own parade…"
    Is there anything I can say
    Before you walk away?
    I just don't want to loose you again
    "

Me & one of my friends used to joke about how sometimes an artist or actor makes an amazing piece of work, that should very well be recognized with an award, but for whatever reason the Academy, the Grammy’s, etc pass on them that year. Then the next year, or even a couple years later, they then award them the winner in a year that really that particular work isn’t their best. It's like an overcorrection for knowing they messed up.

This happens on a micro level sometimes in pop fandom, I reckon. In fact, it very well may have happened with me & Mandy’s ‘second album’ I Wanna Be With You. Since I passed on her pretty completely on So Real, it's possible I over-acknowledged I Wanna Be With You in her discography when I became a fan.

Look, as we've discussed while So Real is no masterpiece, but it was never as bad as I, the critics, or even Mandy ever deemed it (and might even be low-key classic debut in its own way). In mid-2000 when I started to like her and then eventually elevate her to a deity, the immediacy of I Wanna Be With You being my entry point into her career made it easier to write-off the ‘travesty’ that was So Real (hyperbole) & praise the new direction of he new songs on I Wanna Be With You as ‘the real Mandy’ (equal hyperbole)

This is much the same way i guess awards show make peace with he fact they pass on Jennifer Connelly for Requiem For A Dream, but then give her the Oscar for A Beautiful Mind. Look, I get it.

The point of all this is that sometimes a new fans to an artist, actor, etc we heap loads of praise upon the most recent work by said artist, because it’s the newest thing to us. I Wanna Be With You gets this benefit in my head and as such, I probably overscored some the songs here.

The thing is, I just really freaking love the new songs on that record. They are great pop, to me.

A couple of the songs come that EP, err album, are one lyric or chord change from: 'Genericville, population Mandy'. But somehow, the mix of Mandy’s voice, the melodies, the classic/clean production, and the intense nostalgia they generate keep them all on the 9 line for me. 'The Way To My Heart' is one of those.

I don’t have a great deal of info on the whole team here (though the producer pops up later in the rate), but one writer certainly stand out. Paul Rein had some minor as a Swedish pop artist in he early 80s before becoming mainly a songwriter and producer for other other artists. He’s interesting to me because he co-wrote songs that would up on the three of the four 90s Pop Princess debut-era releases.

• Christina Aguilera : ‘Come On Over’
    • Jessica Simpson : I’ve Got Eyes On You
    • and of course this song for Mandy.

Had he been able to sneak a song on Britney’s album, he’d had become the ultimate Trivial Pursuit question! As it is, 3 out of 4 ain’t bad.

Maybe I shouldn’t love 'The Way To My Heart' as much as I do. In many ways it is as basic as all get out. It’s just so solidly written, produced, and sung that it appeals to some part of my soul, at an an oddly high level. Maybe it is the inherent 'Swedish-ness' of the production. I'm a sucker for that & there's a 'Lucky Love' (acoustic version) vibe I get from this... and that's my favorite Ace of Base song. All I know is that it used to get stuck in head a lot back in on the day and revisiting that era of Mandy a ton for this rate has seen this song get stuck in my head several more times recently. If it's not the way to my heart, it the way to my ear for sure.

Look, if this wasn’t the album that made me a Mandy fan would I be so high on it? Possibly not. But as it stands songs like ‘The Way To My Heart’ proved to me that there was magic in this girl, even in her filler.

My Score: 8.8

Sparkle In The Sky

@Robert (10)

@unnameable (10):
    such a happy bop, this always brings a smile to my face. (Not as happy as this song getting two 10's makes me! #taste)

@Music Is Life (9.5):
    This was cute, and the production is great. I was able to sing along by the second chorus. (Yes, that is exactly why this song is awesome! Other popstars dream of having a filler track people can sing along to by the second chorus.)

@tylerc904 (9)

@Zar-Unity (8.2)
    This is cute pop tune that sounds very 2000's! It makes me think of so many summery pop tunes from other artists and girl pop groups of the time. Mandy's vocal performance works well enough for this song
    but the song does still sound somewhat like a filler track. In other words Mandy doesn't really sound that unique singing this one but it is a pleasant pop tune with a nice fun beat to it nevertheless. (This whole album is so weird! I mean, I agree that it's filler-ish, but why go through all the trouble of writing a song this good & then surrounding it with actual filler from So Real? What a mess... haha!)

Corner of your eye
    @vague (7.5)
    very M2M acoustic girly pop, so i dig it. (I can hear that, for sure! There's another track on here that's even more M2M to my ears. Swedish pop seeping into Mandy's sound here. I dig it.)

@VivaForever (7)
    This is cute but reminds me a lot of the Christian pop I grew up on for some reason? Avalon, specifically. (Yeah, Mandy crossing over into that weird inspirational zone again. Maybe all of that was just method acting for A Walk To Remember!)

@CasuallyCrazed (7), @Sprockrooster (6), @Robsolete (7), @ladylloyd (7), @chris4862 (7.5), @RUNAWAY (6), @Remorque (7)

Still Undiscovered

@LKane (4)
    A bit boring song. (So, not making your Mandy playlist anytime soon, I reckon. Fair enough.)

@Florencia. (5.5)
    These cute songs are starting to feel all like one and the same. (Oh no! At least they are cute. I guess I'll take that compliment & run...)

@ohnostalgia (5.5)
    I’m getting Christian hymn out of this; a lot of them have not so subtle romantic overtones.
    [​IMG]

Paul Rein's other two 90's Pop Princess co-writing contributions

Xtina

The other Simpson sister (sorry, I'm an Ashlee person)

Oh... and Paul Rein serving a Swedish ballad bop & some amazing hair in 1986

Also: Swedish Acoustic Heaven

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  20. Started on the last Mandy reveal before we reach the halfway point. This next one has three 10s, three 9s, & three 8.5s.

Whew.

Robert, Music Is Death and vague like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.