Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!) | Page 40 | The Popjustice Forum

Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by pop3blow2, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What's your favorite Mandy Moore album

1. So Real

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I Wanne Be With You

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Mandy Moore

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  4. Coverage

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Wild Hope

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  6. Amanda Leigh

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Other (soundtrack, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Started on the write-up for #29. I should warn you that we lose another 11... our first in awhile (since #45).

Also, I literally can't stop listening to 'When I Wasn't Watching'... and she's getting so much positive reaction & press for it. It's like I've woken up in the upside down with all the Mandy on PJ this year & really she's just kind of been everywhere in the news this year (coming forward early in the year, her Star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame, her first solo Emmy nomination for This Is Us, & now new music after 10 years.) I'll take it... and I'm so happy for her! And happy I got to share in this excitement will all of you, too... via this rate & more.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  2. The song "When I wasn't watching" is a solid 8/10. The video is a 10, as whoever directed this knows how to use peak Mandy and a bunch of her best looks.

LKane, pop3blow2, RUNAWAY and 2 others like this.
  3. So I’ve finally caught up with this thread completely now. When I Wasn’t Watching actually inspired me to take the time to sit down and read through everything, both last night and tonight.

I had to catch up on everything from the mid rate essay onwards. I really enjoyed the essay @pop3blow2 thank you for sharing your thoughts. I also loved that you referenced Lost and Inception along the way as Lost is my favourite TV show ever and Inception is one of my top films. It was really interesting to read the essay whilst listening to the new song on repeat. You spoke about duality but also Mandy finding herself as a person and artist along her career and then hearing the lyrics (which I found interesting that these were the ones you quoted in her main thread) “My favorite version of me disappeared
    Through longer days & shorter years"
    and thought it fit with the essay perfectly. I’d love to read your thoughts on the song at some point in a write up like the songs in this rate!

I also found it a funny coincidence that Turn the Clock Around and Only Took a Minute were eliminated back to back and that you picked up on it too. I always felt they went quite well together (or maybe they blended together?) but it was nice nevertheless. I also love your focus on the people behind the music. I never realised David Rice who wrote my 11 Your Face also wrote Turn the Clock Around, and to then learn he recorded his own version of the song was a find! It definitely shows how strong the melody is as it works in a different style just as well (although Mandy’s is obviously better).

Thank you for sharing your personal story in the write up for Hey and for talking about James too. I’m so glad you made it through that difficult time in your life. It really does show how powerful music can be. It can help us feel things, express thoughts we can’t articulate ourselves, bring us closer to people, be cathartic and heal. Well done for pulling through. It’s so sad to hear that James could not.

I was surprised to see Walk Me Home so high to be honest. I love a good ballad (hello Your Face), but since Your Face went so early (robbed), I thought the inferior Walk Me Home would have shared a similar fate, alas.

4. Yeah, there is so much #MetaMandy duality in the new song, my head about exploded. It’s comforting to know others pick up on some of that as well... and I’m not completely crazy! She’s fascinating in the way that she really does revisit those certain themes in so many ways in her career.

I tried to focus on some of the people behind the music and her collaborators in some spots, because that’s a big part of her music. Whether it was who was hired for her for the first few albums or who she chose to work with in the later albums. In either case, even though she really is the final filter for it all, I just love the collaboration of music and find all that nerdy liner notes stuff interesting. I think she does too, so hopefully she would approve! I’ve even made several new discoveries via my research in the rate. Mandy really is the gift that keeps giving.

Also thanks for the kind words. I know you’re one of the forums bigger Mandy fans, so I hope I’ve done her the Popjustice she deserves.

5. [​IMG]

"Everything My Heart Desires" | 7.953

Rated 29th out of 84 total songs

Rated 4th out of 16 from So Real/I Wanna Be With You

Chart info or stats:

The 63rd most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm

Liner Notes

Written by: Johnny Pederson, Karsten Dahlgard, Michael Jay
    Produced by: Delgado, Johnny Jam, Dan Shea, & Cory Rooney

Track 2 from I Wanna Be With You released April 11, 2000

"My own parade…"

"This should have been her massive breakthrough worldwide #1 in another parallel universe. It stands up to any Britney or Christina classic, probably better." - CasuallyCrazed

When I was trying to recruit voters for this rate, I was directed to the 90’s Pop Princess Rate. As, such, I read through the rate and jotted down the names of some potential people for this rate. While I wish a few more had come aboard, I got one of the main ones I wanted: @CasuallyCrazed

Why did I want them so badly?

Well, because they adamantly gave 'Everything My Heart Desires' their 11 in that rate and even added some amazing commentary that almost word-for-word quoted Mandy tangents I would go on in the early 00s. Whatever they gave the rest of the songs in the rate mattered little to me. I felt pretty confident that 'Everthing My Heart Desires' would be their 11 here too, and I wanted that in this rate.

@CasuallyCrazed barely got their ballot in (they were the last ones in!) & didn’t disappoint. They gave their 11 to it.

'Everything My Heart Desires' is everything amazing about Mandy in 2000... and everything wrong about she was marketed, all at the same time. It’s among the most wasted tracks and missed opportunities in that era of pop and, along with some for her decisions in the era, proved that Epic had no idea what the hell they were doing with Mandy’s career.

First off, for those that don't know, it should be noted that 'Everything My Heart Desires' is a cover. The original by Adam Rickitt was a top 20 hit in the UK in 1999. Unlike her cover of 'Let Me Be The One' on So Real, which seemed completely random in context, this one makes a bit more sense. The writers behind the song Karsten Dahlgaard & Johnny Pedersen were tapped to write another song on the album ('Want You Back'.) I imagine part of the deal was that Mandy would do this song too... or they at least suggested it & it was approved.

Karsten & Johnny (Jam & Delgado when producing as a team) had struck gold with their success writing for Aqua. As such, they were in high demand in the late 90's early 00's. They were certainly not cheap to get for the album & bringing them on board did add global 'euro-vibe' to their tracks on the album that, in theory, should've worked with launching Mandy internationally.

I can only surmise another reason it was chosen was because it was a ‘known-enough’ song in the International markets they wanted to launch Mandy with I Wanna Be With You... and maybe it would bring some extra familiarity to her album.

Still, like many of the other new songs recorded for I Wanna Be With You (outside of the title track) why weren’t any of the new tracks given any sort of single push? It baffles me that Epic would spend a fair amount of money producing 5 new songs, several which seemed sonically geo-targeted... and would release no new songs as further singles. More baffling, is that I could’ve almost understood this strategy had "I Wanna Be With You" flopped and they were 'done' with her. But it didn't. It was her biggest yet... arguably ever.

They actually finally had some Mandy momentum with "I Wanna Be With You's" success... and they killed it more way than one.

Here's what unfolded next. Rather than release any of new, and quite possibly better, tracks from I Wanna... as the follow up singles internationally.... they re-released the already flop ballad 'Walk Me Home'... and then the final single of the campaign, 'So Real'. That’s right people, the song that was the title of her original debut album (not released in the international markets where they were promoting her) was released as a single in lieu any of the new tracks they had just spent good money having her record. Mess!

That this still gets me fired up 20 years later is really the only hole I need punched to prove my Mandy standom...ddd. I was a fairly new fan when I watched all this unfold & ironically watching how she was mishandled by her label actually made me start liking her more. (Maybe I felt bad for her some? Maybe my pop-flop radar went up & made more interested in her? Who can say.)

Much like Casually points out, in almost a word for word monologue I launched into years ago.... 'Everything My Heart Desires' was right there. Here’s the deal, Want You Back or The Way To My Heart should’ve been the follow up single to 'I Wanna Be With You' and 'Everything My Heart Desires' should’ve been the third and final single. I try to fairly even mannered about stuff on PJ. I try to listen to & understand other points of view or opinions. But this one really isn’t up for debate in my mind. Ha! This was literally the path they should’ve taken.

We all have our flops we love and many times its is hard to put your finger on 'what could've been done'. Not here. This was simple & Epic screwed it up. Not only would they have properly launched Mandy globally with songs that had a more Euro-pop feel, but I think those single choices would've done OK in North America, too.

'Everything My Heart Desires' is simply a glorious bop. Adam’s version is really good, but Mandy’s voice really just suits the the whole song better. The tracks to the songs are very similar, but Mandy's version is just more beefed up to me. The hard synths on the Mandy’s version give it more of Euro-dance punch to me & the overall production. Imagine the remixes & dance versions this song would've inspired. *facepalm*

Mandy’s vocal is just divine here. Her adlibs & doubletracked harmony vocals (especially on the outro) are the best of her career up to this point and having this song as a single would’ve dovetailed so nicely with ‘In My Pocket’ in her discography progression. You’re killing me, here Epic. Killing. me.

Sadly, 'Everything My Heart Desires' was left to rot on an album repackaged for international markets. I pretty much would bet my biscuits that it would’ve been, at the very least, a minor hit in several markets... if not the very global smash our 11 giver here proposed. Like many other moments in Mandy lore, we’ll never know.

My Score: 9.6

"Kicking up confetti leaves…"

Sparkle In The Sky

@CasuallyCrazed (11):
    This should have been her massive breakthrough worldwide #1 in another parallel universe. It stands up to any Britney or Christina classic, probably better. (Started the write-up with this quote, but putting it here for completionist purposes ...ddd)

@Music Is Life (10)
    What a fun dance pop bop! I love the production on this, her vocals are great, and the lyrics aren't too cheesy. Love this, should've been a single.

@unnameable (10)
    Eat your heart out Adam Rickett, Mandy is capable of delivering definitive versions of the songs being shopped around record companies by songwriters.

@Sprockrooster (9)
    An hommage to 80's music that has left Carly Rae Jepsen shook. Very Marillion at times.

@VivaForever (8)
    This was the first Mandy album I got, and I remember thinking this song and the ones following it were very Myra. The Christina/Britney impact is definitely real, but it’s still more pure-pop than Oops! or Genie. Like halfway between Oops! and Lucky. Also extremely Billie Piper.

@vague (8.25)
    sounds kinda cheap to these ears, but i'm still bopping.

@ohnostalgia (8)
    A boplet.

@tylerc904 (8.5), @Robsolete (8.5)

Corner of your eye
    @Zar-Unity (7.9)
    I love this new dancy pop style to Mandy here! This sounds like it could have been partly inspired by Madonna's diva dance pop style at the time. Certainly a new pop style for her here and one that she never really re-visited again. Which makes this song a stand out to some effect. The lyrics at this point
    just repeat Mandy's mad love theme that we've already heard up until this point in plenty, which starts to sound repetitive here a bit. The beat is kind of simplistic, as is the production but it's still a fun dancy pop tune by her.

@chris4862 (7)
    I get Ace Of Base “Da Capo” vibes from this.

@RUNAWAY (6):
    a subpar cover of an Adam Rickitt song was the record company’s idea of a ‘new’ track, huh? Yeah, I’ll pass.

@Robert (7), @ladylloyd (7), @Remorque (7.5)

Still Undiscovered

@LKane (4.4)
    No… this song is a no. Feels so forced.

@Florencia. (5.5)
    It reminds me of the other cute songs of the first album, cute but boring. This one is slightly better

For Your Viewing & Listening Pleasure

Adam Rickitt's Original

I could probably make a whole playlist based on y'all's commentary & the Mandy connections in my write-up! Here's a few to get us started

Aqua: My Oh My

Ace of Base: De Capo

Billie Piper: She Wants You

6. Noooo!!! Get taste people, that deserved top 20 at least! It's such a pinnacle of her teenpop era.

Rooting for the self-titled to go all the way now.

berserkboi and pop3blow2 like this.
  7. Everything My Heart Desires was always one of my lesser favourites from the U.K. album. I think it’s because I associated the song too much with Adam Rickett, as he hadn’t released it too long before Mandy. However in recent years and especially since starting this rate it’s one of the songs that’s grown on me a lot. I guess his version is the reason why it wasn’t released as a single?

LKane, vague and pop3blow2 like this.
  8. Yeah, that's all I can figure too. I mean his version was a bit before Mandy's and did alright in the chart (#15) so maybe any potential release was deemed just 'too close' in release to his. I think had they released it summer of 2000, after his kinda fizzled it would've been interesting to see which one did better on the chart. It seems odd to have her record it, if it wasn't a single contender.... but maybe they just wanted a familiar cover as an album track for the international push.

Who knows... that whole album is just so perplexing!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  9. I've had a busy few days, that included a 6 hour trip for a Marina show last night... so I'm a bit out of sorts. I did get some of the #28 write-up done in the car, though... so I hope to have it up this weekend.

10. [​IMG]

"I Feel The Earth Move | 7.961

Rated 28th out of 84 total songs

Rated 7th out of 12 from Coverage

Chart info or stats:

The 28th most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm
    The 5th most scobbled song from Coverage

Liner Notes

Written by: Carole King
    Produced by: John Fields

Track 4 from Coverage released October 15, 2003

"My own parade…"

For the most part I’ve usually landed upon a pretty good jumping off to launch into a Mandy write-up, but oddly I was struggled initially with best way into this one. That’s sort a weird, but fun place to find myself in, in regards to this song & album. I mean, I love Mandy, love Carole, love Coverage, & love this song… but there has to more to this song that that, right?

Well, yeah.

But, @ohnostalgia's message in @Lila’s rate the other day in regards to the original isn’t wrong. There is something about this song that just slaps at a primal level. The song is brilliantly subversive in that way.

Mandy's version just slaps, too.

Obviously I don’t need to talk much about how important Carole & Tapestry is (though if you want to know more check out the aforementioned rate). As a fan of the big three ’Girls Like Us’ 70’s ladies (Carole, Joni, & Carly) I was to the moon excited in 2003 when I saw Mandy was covering all three on the album! Not that I needed proof that ‘she got it’, seeing all three of them on the album hammered the point home.

"I Feel The Earth" was bold song for 1971. Woman weren’t supposed to talk about their sexuality & desires in such a way. Carole was like, ‘nah, I don’t think so.’ That she is the first of the big three on Coverage & that is was this song is no mistake. Mandy was one names at the forefront of the discussion in sexuality in pop in 2003. More than one interviewer made note of her ‘keeping her clothes’ on in comparison to some of other pop princess peers. Mandy was both confident in her position, but never negative in the decisions of her peers. I was getting into some peak feminist reading around this time & Mandy’s sensibilities were not lost on me… and actually probably just expedited my love her. She's an interesting icon on so many levels.

Coverage was Mandy’s great act of rebellion. It was so much more subversive, & as such successful to me, than what some others were doing. Covering Carole’s ultimate bop to awakening sexuality was Mandy’s own take on what Britney, Christina, or others were also reaching for in the era. She just did it in her own ‘Mandy way’.

Mandy clearly loves the song & Carole. In an interview in 2006, while promoting the mock-American Idol film American Dreamz, she was asked what song she would sing for such a singing a show if she were to try out today. She stated: ‘I Feel The Earth Move’… y’know something by Carole King or Joni Mitchell’” (I mean read this EW personality test she took. I died at her answer The Breakfast Club question. Died. https://ew.com/article/2006/04/14/mandy-moore-takes-ews-pop-culture-personality-test/)

Mandy’s version of the song sounds wonderfully of its time now. It’s one of the only songs on Coverage that really does. I mean, the whole album sounds of its time, but certain flourishes in this song scream 2003. As such of fan 00’s pop, just the way the album is mixed sounds of the era to me. But beyond that, it one of the few songs on the album with pretty over-the-top, noughties-kitchen-sink, production. Including all the little DJ record scratches, whimsical instrumentation, and such, firmly plants in the wonkier side of 00’s pop. (again, right there on the Whoa, Nelly! side of pop.)

There are two ways to make timeless music. The first is to create something so devoid of any trends that it sounds great in any era. The other way is to completely go for it, with whatever gimmicky sounds & tricks are permeating the culture in your time period. The potential downfall with this approach, is that the sound might not age well. The upside, is that, if you do it right, using the palette of era will nicely transport a listener back to that year in a comforting way. Mandy goes with the latter several times on Coverage and the album is all the better for it. It sounds a tad dated in places now, but to me, in that great way 80’s music sounds dated…. like you want to hear that sound when you’re in the mood for it. I particularly always loved the way the stings sounded in the song. Josh Meyers, who arranged them, deserves to be commended here!

I still remember the first day I heard Coverage. I imagine most of you are the same about your fave albums. I was locked in after the first three songs. ‘Senses Working Overtime’ bleeding into ‘The Whole Of The Moon’ changed my life. Track 3 ‘Can We Still Be Friends’ was glorious, so I was completely sold on the whole concept. By the time track 4, 'I Feel The Earth Move' started, I ascended. Carole gets covered a lot, but her take was immediately fresh, youthful, & relevant to the zeitgeist. It really could’ve been a single.

It just slaps.

My Score: 9.3

Sparkle In The Sky

@ohnostalgia (10)
    I mean is there any universe where I wouldn’t give this stone cold Carole King classic a ten? Vocally, Mandy’s version lacks Attitude, but she changes the production enough to make up for it. Those record scratches! The orchestra! The backing choir! Those cascading whispers! (Iconic commentary.)

@RUNAWAY (10)
    Carole King is always a fantastic choice to cover, and Mandy did an amazing job with this song. (Apparently this would be her American Idol song. Queen!)

@Zar-Unity (9)
    This is a fun pop tune with some playful energy to it. It sounds like this song fits someone singing it best with
    some powerful soul to their voice, which Mandy definitely has. Still at the same time, this one feels a bit off for Mandy for some reason, I'm not sure why. I really love songs with a big band type of sound to it like this so this is a certified treat to the ears! Amazing outro by Mandy with those chime bells! (Yeah, in the making of Coverage DVD John Fields is playing back Mandy's vocal in a section of the DVD and says 'there is some soul in this one!'. He's not wrong.)

@Music Is Life (9.5)
    I really fucking love the production on this, it bops so much and is nothing you would expect. Freaking amazing. (It really was unexpected what she did with this. This was the moment I started to realize that Mandy-freaking-Moore was possibly dropping my favorite pop album of all time in my lap. I was shook. How's that for going meta!)

@unnameable (9)
    not up to Martika’s or Carole King’s versions, this is still great. (More on Martika below! Y'all didn't think I was gonna forget her in the write-up, did you?)

@VivaForever (8), @vague (8.75), @Florencia. (8.75)

Corner of your eye
    @LKane (7.5)
    “oh baby! when I see your face” that’s my fave part. (I like the whispers on the outro. Mandy serving some ASMR in headphones.)

@chris4862 (6) :
    The only song from the album that I could take or leave. Just never been a big fan of this song in general. (Not even Martika's!? Haha!)

@Sprockrooster (7), @tylcerc904 (7), @Robert (6), @Robsolete (7), @ladylloyd (6), @Remorque (7.5), @CasuallyCrazed (7)

Still Undiscovered

Empty again! Coverage building bridges & bringing voters together.​

Mandy on Oprah in 2003. She did that. I remember that day still.

Some more I Feel The Earth Move things...

The original by Carole King.

Fun Fact: We got some 'Meta Carole' with this song a couple of years ago. She briefly covers the song herself while playing the recurring character of Sophie Bloom on Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life episode 3 ("Summer"). Of course, it's even more meta, since her song 'Where You Lead' is also used for the show's title song.

Of course we'll end with some 'Meta-Martika'. She famously covered the song on her debut album in 1989. It was a hit around the world, but after the San Francisco earthquakes in the fall of 1989, it was pulled from many radio stations for the lyrical content. As such, the single stalled out at #25 in the US & faded quickly from radio.

Well, actually we'll end with my beloved Vanessa... who played Carole in the show Beautiful this summer. Here is Carole & Nessa singing this classic together!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    ohnostalgia, LKane, vague and 6 others like this.
  11. We only have one more elimination left before we cross the 8.000 threshold. Working on the write-up now on my lunch break! Hope to have it up later.

12. [​IMG]

"Mona Lisas & Mad Hatters" | 7.994

Rated 27th out of 84 total songs

Rated 6th out of 12 from Coverage

Chart info or stats:

The52nd most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm
    The 7th most scrobbled song from Coverage

Liner Notes

Written by: Bernie Taupin & Elton John
    Produced by: John Fields

Track 5 from Coverage released October 15, 2003

"My own parade…"

So, we’re really eliminating back-to-back Coverage songs, now are we? We're really letting this gem miss an 8.0 average score by 6 one-thousandth of a point. *My heart.*

As I talked about in one of the Mandy Annual posts before the rate started, Mandy tackling Elton was a no-brainer for this album. She adores him… and from what I can tell, he adores her too. After she appeared in his video for original sin they remained friendly & he even told her that he loved her version of this song. Iconic.

This song does things to me. I think it’s mainly hear vocal, which is up there in the Mandy canon for me. Coverage is a weird album for me to rate in a way. There’s a….

wait for it, now…….

duality

...to the album that makes it hard for me land on scores for.​

On one hand, it’s my favorite album of all-time… so if I’m being blunt I could literally go full @Music Is Life & just about 10 everything on the album (well, except 'One Way Or Another'…ddd.) I mean, between the song selection, Mandy’s vocals, the production, & just what it means to me on highly personal level all weigh heavily on my feelings for the album.

On the other hand… it’s album of covers. More specifically, its an album of covers with many songs/artists I already loved. So, the music critic in me is torn to be 'fair' the source material & dutifully compare Mandy’s against theirs and try to land on a score.

As such, in my attempt be as balanced as possible when rating the album, I only gave out five 10’s. So, I think it's fair to say that if I 10’d a song here, I think it’s AMAZING. I 10’d this one.

What makes is so amazing?

Well, lets simply start with the lyrics. In doing so, we get to briefly derail into one of my favorite little sub-discussions of pop: MISHEARD SONG LYRICS.

I love misheard song lyrics, but the ones in 'Mona Lisas & Mad Hatters' are especially interesting, because I had misheard them for well over a decade before buying Coverage!

I always thought the second verse in the song was:

Just spoke with God
    He’s got a lot of songs to sing
    If I knew the tunes I might join in”

I always thought this was some deep lyrical commentary on religion or singing church hymns, etc.

Upon hearing Mandy’s version & reading the lyrics I was like… wut?

This Broadway’s got
    It’s got a lot of songs to sing
    If I knew the tunes I might join in”

I mean, that makes a lot more sense, but I was both amazed & horrified I had misunderstood the lyrics for over a decade. That said, I was so amazed that I wrote my own song using the misheard lyrics about how hearing something wrong for years changes your perception! (How meta will I go in life? We might never know.)

The beauty of Mandy singing those words & me realizing them finally, is that of course, she’s a Broadway nerd. She really couldn’t have picked a more perfect Elton song to cover. The song is so steeped in so many of the themes she seems drawn to & still writes about to this day.

I mean:

“Turn around and say good morning to the night
    For unless they see the sky
    But they can't and that is why
    They know not if it's dark outside or light”

… is about as on brand for Mandy as it gets (though a couple of other songs on Coverage hammer these themes how pretty well, too.) Knowing that her parents were such big fans of Elton, add some of that biographical gravity to the song selection that I've mentioned in other write-ups. The songs on this album

Again, her vocal is stunningly nuanced throughout the song. She uses her upper & lower registers perfectly through the song, adding to the rising & falling dynamics of the song.

The production here is off the chain. John Fields out-does himself. The overall arraignment remains fairly faithful to Elton’s version, but the beefed up orchestration, organs, & mixing is just some of the best on any recording of the 00s. Period.

One little that makes this song so much better than the original to me is something mindbogglingly simple.

Drums.

The use of drums on this song the first time I heard it actually blew my mind. It’s a little decision that adds a whole other element to the song, makes it fresh, & makes it Mandy’s. I also love that the drums don’t come in immediately. As someone who had heard Elton’s version a lot of times, when they finally did come in, they were so unexpected & added a whole other wow moment. It’s one of those little decisions on the album that show that John Field’s instincts as a producer were so perfect for this project.

The whole is a really a perfect moment of everything Mandy was striving for with
    Coverage. As a pop fan I never tire of those special moments where you are experiencing an artist firing on all cylinders. Mandy’s music has had several of those moments to me, but this one ranks up there.

My Score: 10

Sparkle In The Sky

@VivaForever (10)
    Unquestionably the album’s high point for me. Admittedly it drags a little but that “with MoooNAA LISAAAAAAS AND MAD HATTERS” more than makes up for it. Gorgeous. (Yes! So much yes!!! Miss your conversation in the rate.)

@Music Is Life (10)
    I have no words for how much I love this. The production is great as always, and her vocals shine but those lyrics! Amazing. I really love this. I was basically hypnotized while listening to it. (*omigosh* This commentary makes me so happy! What you experienced was exactly what happened to me. It really was just an experience of being entranced while listening to it.)

@unnameable (10)
    she absolutely sells this one and all its love for New York. (She just pours herself into it so much. It's one of those moments on the album that I almost forget I am listening to an album of covers.)

@Zar-Unity (8.5)
    I didn't really expect Mandy to be singing a pop ballad quite like this but for the most part I think it works well for her. It almost sounds a bit country, which gives me some weird vibes. Not really one of my favorites off of Coverage but Mandy does sound amazing singing on this one. (Yeah, Elton had some country tendencies in his music, which is one reason I think he's a good match for Mandy. She's flirts with bumpkin-sim, too.)

@Robert (8), @Robsolete (8), @ladylloyd (9), @Florencia. (8), @RUNAWAY (8.25)

Corner of your eye
    @ohnostalgia (7.5)
    Not my fave Elton song, but Mandy does a good job. Why wasn’t she invited onto one of his two official cover compilations though? Also a slight tangent: the phrase Spanish Harlem always reminds me of The Mamas and The Papas. That’s a group she should’ve covered. (That's a good question, in regards to the official cover albums. They were always on super friendly terms from what I know. Some of Amanda Leigh gives me Mamas & Papas vibes... so yeah, I'd be on board with her doing a cover!)

@Sprockrooster (6), @tylerc904 (7), @chris4862 (6.5), @vague (7.75), @Remorque (7),
    @CasuallyCrazed (7)

Still Undiscovered

[USER=25711]@LKane[/USER] (5.4):
    A weak song for me here. (Oh no! Like, you think the song is weak or just Mandy's version?)

Elton John's original from 1972

Some other famous covers of the song

Another popular M.M. (Maren Morris) laying it down.

The Killers, too.

And the Indigo Girls, bringing some sweet harmony to the mix

ohnostalgia, LKane, vague and 6 others like this.
  13. Both of the last two eliminations are in the top half of Coverage for me. There are a couple of songs still left from Coverage which I would have preferred to have exited first.

I knew of the Elton version of Mona Lisas but not enough to be able to tell the difference between his and Mandy’s versions, so it was nice to read about them in the write up!

pop3blow2 and vague like this.
  14. I love Mona Lisas. Also, Rocketman was a great movie.

ohnostalgia and pop3blow2 like this.
  15. [​IMG]

"Want You Back" | 8.003

Rated 26th out of 84 total songs

Rated 3rd out of 16 from So Real/I Wanna Be With You

Chart info or stats:

The 59th most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm

Liner Notes

Written by: Lisa Lindebergh & Peter Mansson
    Produced by: Peter Mansson

Track 3 from I Wanna Be With You released May 9, 2000

"My own parade…"

"There was something more
    That I never really noticed before
    Could it be?
    That I was so wrong
    I was so wrong
    When I realized
    And turned around that you were gone"

You just never know with rates, do you?

While I quite adore this little album track from I Wanna Be With You, I didn’t really expect that

• a. It would make the top 3 from debut-era Mandy
    • b. It would be the first song to hit the magical 8.000 average in the rate.

Again, I’m not complaining about any of this, just surprised. Its placement here also makes me feel oddly affirmed in the opinion i’ve had for nearly 20 years that 'Want You Back' could’ve been a single.

Earlier in the the rate @vague mentioned how 'The Way To My Heart' reminded them of surprise Mandy-rate darlings M2M. They weren’t wrong in that observation, but I must admit this song was the one that always gave me major M2M vibes... in all their Norwegian glory.

Since the song was co-written and produced by famed Swedish producer & songwriter Peter Månsson, I guess this makes perfect sense. There's a sound that regions have in certain eras of pop. He was dialed into that here.

His discography of songs is impressive and includes the likes of:

• Namie Amuro
    • A*Teens
    • Anna Abreu
    • and so many more

Much like some other tracks we’ve discussed on I Wanna Be With You, I feel like he was intentionally brought in to add some ‘Euro’ appeal to Mandy’s sound and the international push of I Wanna Be With You. Also, like some of those other songs, 'Want You Back' was oddly relegated to ‘filler’ on the album, as Epic pushed other already flop singles from the regular release album So Real.

Oh, well. Peter got his check.

So did the main songwriter here, Lisa Lindebergh. (who I sadly can't find out much about, but have grown interested in because I found that she recorded a couple of albums in the late 90's/early 00's. I think I even remember hearing one song off her debut. Weird the memories this rate has brought back!)

'Want You Back' just has that perfect early 00s acousti-pop sound. I always thought it would’ve been the perfect follow up to ‘I Wanna Be With You’. It has some of the vibe of that song, albeit filtered through a more mid-tempo, middle of the road sound, that would’ve sat comfortably on many adult contemporary channels and department store radio channels.

I suppose there is nothing amazing or earth-shattering about the song, if I am being honest. Mandy’s vocal is fine, but not necessarily mind-blowing. The overall track is pleasing, but there’s nothing really particular of note or that I didn’t hear on numerous other early 00’s songs.

So why do I personally rate it so highly & think it did so well here?

Well, because the actual song is just very solidly written & the instrumental track is performed to perfection. The chord structure is like ear candy & I think it is catchy as hell. Its a song I feel pretty confident you can hear once or twice & sing along with immediately. The kind of song that gets stuck in your head, but you don’t really mind, because it is so pleasing (
    well, to most of you!)

We’ve all bought those albums we love and listened to them dumbfounded at some of the songs that were left to rot as amazing album tracks... while we sadly watch the parent album flop. Mandy is painful in that regard, because she has two of those albums: I Wanna Be With You and Mandy Moore. As such, it just makes revisiting them for this rate all the more frustrating, as my brain which fortunately/unfortunately forgets little, replays the sheer confusion I had as a fan during that era.

At many points, this rate has brought me some peace, though, as seeing one of my lost little beloved tunes from I Wanna Be With You do this well; well it does my little stan-heart good... even if it was forever delayed.

My Score: 9.1

Sparkle In The Sky

@Robert (10), @Robsolete (10), @ladylloyd (9)

@RUNAWAY (10)
    this song is stellar. I’ve been loving this song since I bought this album. It’s a huge improvement from the crap that was on So Real. (see the comment on unnameable's commentary below...ddd)

@VivaForever (9)
    A breezy midtempo teenybopper bop. Honestly delightful. (It really is. Some of those M2M & Myra vibes!)

@Music Is Life (9)
    This is a cute mid-tempo. I love the production, and the lyrics are nice enough. The melody is really catchy. (On point commentary is on point!)

@Florencia. (8.25)
    I really enjoy this song. I appreciate the instrumentation and that it is not another easy/simple ballad ...even though I love those! (I hear ya! This song was really perfect hybrid of ballad Mandy & acousti-pop Mandy. A gem of a song.)

@unnameable (8)
    a feeling I can firmly relate to, Mandy delivers this one with passion. (Yeah, it's amazing how much heartfelt her vocals sounded as she got better songs & lyrics. That sounds petty, but you really do hear it. )

Corner of your eye
    @Zar-Unity (7.4)

This is like Mandy's teen pop ballads on her second self-titled album. More innocent and delicately sung. I'm not as a big of fan of this pop ballad Mandy period, however, some of Mandy's pop ballads from the early 00's are certainly better than others. For this ballad, it just doesn't sound as strong to me as some of the other one's do on her second album. In fact, this ballad mostly comes off sounding like pure filler to me, which is surprising! (We don't completely disagree often on Mandy, but we do here! Other 00's pop girls dream of having filler like this. I'm on the 'shoulda been a single' train with this one.)

@vague (6.75)
    Cute chorus. (I can't tell if this a wonderful compliment or low-key complete shade of the rest of the song. Haha!)

@Sprockrooster (6), @chris4862 (7.5), @Remorque (7.5), @CasuallyCrazed (7.75)

Still Undiscovered

@LKane (5.8)
    Is kind of a nice song, but it’s more of the same, nothing special in this one. (I get the sense you really weren't feeling this album too much? ddd )

@ohnostalgia (4)
    Pseudo Chipmunk Mandy is a big no from me. ( I think I understand what you're taking about, but it doesn't bother me much. For some reason, all your commentary could make think about was this!)

A random 'Want You Back' inspired playlist

M2M: 'The Day You Went Away' (I'm starting to feel like I have to do their rate now, y'know that, right.?)

Main songwriter of 'Want You Back', Lisa Lindebergh. This is her song 'One Week' & you can hear a bit her sound & influence in Mandy's song. She is really good!

Another #MetaMandy connection. The A*Teens song 'Heartbreak Lullaby' was written & produced by Peter Månsson for The Princess Diaries soundtrack. It was only included on the European versions of the album. So, we're in full #InternationalMetaMandy mode! (Also, Cathy Dennis was a writer on this track... so basically, my pop brain is overloaded at the moment.)

Oh, & here's one of the songs Peter co-wrote for Popjustice fave Namie Amuro: 'Come'

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    ohnostalgia, vague, Robsolete and 5 others like this.
  16. I love Want You Back, definitely a highlight from her debut era for me. I feel it goes well with The Way to My Heart too.

From reading the opening lyrics quote in the write up though it’s made me question what the lyrics are because I’ve never sung “that in long” and it doesn’t make much sense to me? But then trying to think and I’m not actually sure what I thought the lyric was, something like “that all along”. What does everyone else hear?

vague and pop3blow2 like this.
  17. Haha! Ooops. That’s what I get from copying and pasting from a Bing lyric search preview instead of Genius.com! I fixed it.

I did find like 4 different takes on the lyric, but I'm pretty sure she just repeats 'That I was wrong... I was so wrong.' At least that's what I always sing. There are no official lyrics in the US release of I Wanna Be With You. (I just Shazamed the song & that's what the live lyrics showed, too.)

'That all along', makes sense, too.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Robert and vague like this.
  18. I love 'the day you went away'. It would be a great and insteresting M2M / Marit / Marion rate.

pop3blow2, Sprockrooster and vague like this.
  19. I’m traveling this week, but still expected to get a couple of reveals done once I got settled. As of right now though the wifi in my hotel is complete crap and tethering from my phone has decided to stop working. So there’s that. If I get it sorted I still plan to have #25 up in the next couple of days.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  20. I certainly haven’t forgotten about this and my other PJ stuff. I was on vacation this week (Harry Potter world and Disney World... so I was on the go!) Anyways, I am returning home to reality this weekend... so this will get back on track next week.

I actually pre-made a couple of graphics, in hopes of still putting out a reveal or two in any
    downtime I had from vacation activities. The couple of times that actually happened my internet connection was crap or I had technical issues. *sigh*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.