Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!) | Page 42 | The Popjustice Forum

Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by pop3blow2, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What's your favorite Mandy Moore album

1. So Real

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I Wanne Be With You

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Mandy Moore

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  4. Coverage

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Wild Hope

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  6. Amanda Leigh

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Other (soundtrack, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Another elimination, another great write up, and more facts learnt. I didn’t know the writers of Yo-Yo also wrote Torn, very interesting!

I love Yo-Yo and Mandy’s delivery of it. It’s very punchy and I love Mandy’s declaration of “I’m not a thing you let go” repeatedly towards the end.

pop3blow2, Zar-Unity and vague like this.
  2. Yo-yo is great! I even think the lyrics are pretty clever and smart. Perhaps
    a bit too quirky for some, but not for me. This is the type of fun,
    free spirited cheesy pop that I live for. Yo-yo definitely stands out
    on her self-titled! Interesting fun write up @pop3blow2 ! Although
    I'm wondering why you didn't rate yo-yo a bit higher, given all that
    you say about it. Perhaps there is more merit with what this song
    is connected to than the song itself? Anyway, I'm glad that yo-yo
    did so well! It certainly deserves it! I thought of this funny video..

I really don't mind pop songs about yo-yo's haha

pop3blow2, Robert and berserkboi like this.
  3. The self-titled's really not doing as well as I thought it would.

Wild Hope
    and even Coverage is outperforming it????

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    vague and Robert like this.
  4. Honestly I feel like Mandy's self-titled is weaker overall than all of her
    other albums, so it kinda fits how it has been performing.

5. Yay at you picking one of Demi's best songs that she worked on, but mess at you ignoring the fact that she worked with Miley. Since I have a rate to promote, I'm hear to tell you all that Anne Preven wrote 5 songs that were performed by Miley. They are:
    Start All Over (with Scott Cutler & Fefe Dobson)

The Driveway (with Miley & Scott Cutler)

Full Circle (with Miley & Scott Cutler)

These Four Walls (with Scott Cutler & Cheyenne Kimball)

and Spotlight (with Scott Cutler)

All of these will be featured in part one of my Miley Cyrus Discography Rate, opening next Monday!

pop3blow2 likes this.
  6. That's one of my fave parts, too!

The bolded part of your comment is exactly true. Yo-Yo is a fun song that is borderline single worthy for me, but my brain is always gonna always compare to 'Torn', so that hurts its some. Spoiler alert: There's one big Mandy single left that gets a worse score from me for this very reason.

Poor Miley. I did mean to mention her, but she got lost in the shuffle. I had one YouTube embed left for the post & as you learned in the pop star rate: Demi is my Disney girl, so she's always gonna win out! I'm glad you promo'd your rate, I think I forgot it was starting so soon.

I found a slight glitch in the reveal stats, that I fixed. Here's the current rundown
    • Wild Hope has 6 songs left
    • Coverage has 5 songs left
    • and Self-Titled has 5 songs left.
    I updated the stats on page 1 of the rate, too.

[​IMG]

---------------------

And with all that I should let everyone know the harsh truth about the next three reveals: They are all 11's!

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[​IMG]

ohnostalgia, vague, Zar-Unity and 6 others like this.
  7. Haha it's okay! I just felt like being a little shady. Obviously, it's your rate and you decide what to link in the write-ups. And it gave me s chance to highlight all 5 songs she did with/for Miley. As for the bolded part, that's something I really need to prevent happening.
    PRAYS (despite not being religous.)

LKane likes this.
  8. [​IMG]

"Gardenia" | 8.208

Rated 21st out of 84 total songs

Rated 5th out of 12 from Wild Hope

Chart info or stats:

The 19th most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm
    The 3rd most scrobbled song from Wild Hope

Liner Notes

Written by: Mandy Moore & Chantal Kreviazuk
    Produced by: John Alagia

Track 12 from Wild Hope released June 19, 2007

"My own parade…"
    image.png

In Victorian times flowers were used to convey messages between people. When a person was unable to outright express their feelings of love for another, it was and still is a common practice to say it with flowers. While any type of flowering plant will do, if you want to express your love and devotion to someone but don’t want your identity to be known, the gardenia is the flower to give as a present. It signifies a secret love or an untold love.

Gardenia leaves are shiny, and waxy. This is symbolic of clarity. In addition, it’s symbolic of self-reflection. In fact, many earth worshiping sects subscribe time with gardenia in meditation in order to come to the core of oneself for understanding and enlightenment.

Gardenia flowers also symbolize protection. They naturally deter certain insects. Metaphorically and energetically, they can help dispel bad feelings or energies in our lives.

This is sort of a hard one to write about. 'Gardenia' makes me feel all sort of things, but the personal nature of those feelings & even Mandy’s confessional nature make it all hard to properly articulate, but I'll try. Much like the flower Mandy sings of itself, my own love of the song is wrapped up in personal symbolism, self-reflection, mediation, & more.

Do you ever have albums where you forget to breathe when you listen to them on your initial listen (and even some listens after)? I mean, obviously you still breathe or you’d be dead, but still, you actually have moments where you are so transported to the world the artist is painting, that in some moments while listening you discover that you’re a few breaths behind where you’d normally be on this plane of existence. It's a low-key out of body experience.

Well, Mandy has done that twice in her career for me: Coverage & Wild Hope. With Wild Hope though, even in the midst of listening to an album instantly fell in love with, I still didn’t expect the last song on the album to completely destroy me.

And it did.

It still does.

“Well, I put so much thought into getting ready
    Now I know that was the best part
    It's so easy to get caught up in what I'm regretting
    Forget what I got from a wounded heart”

In lieu of Mandy’s actual life events, 'Gardenia' is more poignant now than 2007. That doesn’t even seem possible.

I sorta thought this song might be a tad divisive, based on its overall sonics, etc, but actually did a bit better than I thought it would. Almost every score here is 8 or above… and most who don’t care for it much seem to be 5 & below. Not much in the middle! It is certainly the slowest & perhaps moodiest song in the rate. I can imagine some just not taking to it or scoring it on a day where maybe you're not in the mood for it. (I'm trying to understanding here!) The song really does tap very rawly into a place of deep introspection. In that respect, it's one of the most successful songs on Wild Hope. It is certainly a song is the quintessential definition of ‘breathtaking’, to me.

My thoughts are bit scattered for this one, so bear with me.

“Well, I hear my own voice
    Sounds so silly
    Keep on telling my story all around”

As much as I love boppy, capital P pop music… the flip side of my Gemini personality is loving absolutely emo or ‘sad’ music. In that spirit, ‘my band’ of choice throughout all of high school into the early 00’s was Counting Crows. I was OBSESSED with the & they got me through some of those formative years. Around this same time I was heavy into writing songs. Most of them were slow, dirge-y, confessional, lyrical messes of music that were certainly rooted in my love Adam Durtiz’s style of writing and the heightened sense of dramatics that period of late teens to early 20’s brings with it. Let's just say, my own personal songwriting was closer to 70 beats per minute piano dirges, than tight 3 minute pop songs... which is probably another reason I am so excited by them.

The irony here being that one of the artists I finally moved the personal obsession needle to, from Counting Crows, was Mandy Moore in 2003. Then, when I first heard ‘Gardenia’ in 2007, couldn’t help but be shook at how much it stirred the same emotions in me as some Counting Crows songs like, ’Raining In Baltimore’, ‘Chelsea’, or ‘Colorblind’. These may be odd comparisons to bring up here, but in the spirit of Gardenia’s confessional nature, it seems fitting. I think one reason Mandy Moore became my favorite pop artist of all-time (I can say now spoiler-free since the pop star rate is over...ddd!) is that she has such distinct work in both worlds. Her discography perfectly captures both parts of my personality on any given day.

As I brought up in @Lila 's recent Girls Like Us rate, my obsession with Counting Crows really led me deep into world of Laura Nyro… more specifically New York Tendaberry. There’s no specific song from that album ‘Gardenia’ reminds me of, but again, the first time I heard it echoes of Laura Nyro creeped in. It’s not just moody sonics, confessional lyrics, & impassioned vocal by Mandy that sends my mind there, but even the allusions in the lyric to ‘Central Park’. Couple that with Counting Crows song ‘Chelsea’ I just mentioned here (also about New York) & a Girls Like Us fave of mine Joni’s ‘Chelsea Morning’ & you can see the rabbit hole of emotions my brain falls into with this song.

"I've been seeing all my old friends in the city
    Walking alone in Central Park
    Doing all the things that I've neglected
    Traded ‘em all in
    To be in your arms"

Furthering all the synapses in my brain this song fires off is Chantal Kreviazuk’s involvement. Chantal was always someone of musical radar through the late 90’s & early 00’s. It was hard for her not be. She kinda popped up everywhere on soundtracks, Lilith Fair, & eventually as writer on many pop artists I was into ( Kelly Clarskon, Avril, Marion Raven, The Veronicas, & more >>>). This was the only song she ever wrote with Mandy and I’m torn. I’m torn between being completely greedy & wanting more… and just wanting this perfect one moment in time to stand on its own.

“Everything I lost seems so different
    Well, this is how everybody gets found”

Of course, there is a mini-meta-narrative thing I’ve picked up on this song over the years, too, in relation to Mandy’s albums.

All three albums where she has co-written the final track on the album have something to do with communication breakdown & defining /re-defining yourself within it.

• Mandy Moore : ‘When I Talk To You’
    • Wild Hope : ‘Gardenia’
    • Amanda Leigh : ‘ Bug’

This is fasnicinting to me. It might just be purely accidental, but that she has such particular recurring themes in her music just makes her such an interesting study in variations on theme & several other nerdy music & pop culture theory things I’m into. There's this nagging part of me that thinks this can't be completely accidental on some level, though, and that Mandy feels the need to use these last songs as an emotional reprise for her own purposes.

'Gardenia' is interesting is the fact that it’s almost about dissecting the communication breakdown within yourself. Not only how you miss the signs of codependency & forget to self-care when ‘giving your all’ to someone else, but also about the process of learning from it. Or at least trying too. The character is having a heart-to-heart with themself in some sort of relationship post-mortem.

This song is so loaded & make me feel or hear different things based on mood. Much like a ‘Few Days Down’ a couple songs ago, the surface level of this song appears to be generally positive. I think it’s about someone who is successfully learning & moving on. But if that’s the case, why does it make me feel so sad… and almost moved to tears every time I hear it? The colors Mandy paints with & the world she creates are steeped in bittersweet symbolism, that I can only try to grasp at. Songs like 'Gardenia', only show how brilliant & creative she is.

“And I don't wanna hang up the phone yet
    It's been good
    Getting to know me more"

My Score: 10

"Kicking up confetti leaves…"

Sparkle In The Sky

@ladylloyd (11)
    Gardenia, especially live is one of the best songs of all time and one of the most heartbreaking and therefore gets my 11. (Gawd, it really is crushing live. I was soooo elated this song got at least one 11 in the rate. So thank you for that.)

@RUNAWAY (10)
    this song is just devastating. She made the perfect choices for the opener and closer of this album, and this song just sits with me for so long after it’s finished.

@Sprockrooster (10)
    What a vocal talent at display here. High up in my top 5 Mandy Moore songs, cause she manages to make this song to sound grand with the minimalistic approach in it's instrumentation. A job well done.

@ohnostalgia (10)
    Did I give this 10 points for the way Mandy sings the word Gardenia? Yes, yes I did.

@Music Is Life (10)
    This was absolutely fucking gorgeous and beautiful and I love it. Her voice and a piano can do wonders, and I love the lyrics.

@Robert (10)

@Robsolete (10)

@Remorque (10)

@unnameable (10)
    She is so searingly raw and vulnerable on this song, and fills every note with emotion.

@Zar-Unity (9)
    Definitely a very personal and touching song where you get to hear a more raw side to Mandy. I'm not always in the mood to hear such a serious and personal Mandy tune like this but I can't deny how good this powerful
    closing track is. Just because this is such a powerful and revealing ballad, I used to skip this one and only play the other songs on Wild hope, but perhaps this was wrong to do being a dedicated album listener and lover. Wow, how passionate and mature does Mandy sound here!? This is almost too much for me. I rather Mandy just go back to doing cute, quirky pop with light hearted topics about love and relationships. But A+ to her here! She definitely singed her heart out! Sorry but I can only give this song a solid 9 because it is not one of my regular songs that I'm always in the mood to hear by her. Hopefully her die hard fans of Gardenia will understand.

@Florencia. (8)

Corner of your eye
    @chris4862 (7.5)

@vague (7.25)

Still Undiscovered

@LKane (5)

@VivaForever (3)
    This is a great title for a song. Should’ve been used for a better song.

@tylerc904 (5)

@CasuallyCrazed (3)

For Your Viewing & Listening Pleasure

'Gardenia' (Live)

Counting Crows 'Chelsea'

Laura Nyro 'You Don't Love Me When I Cry' from New York Tendaberry

*I could literally make a whole Garednia-inspired playlist.... which I might do one day.​

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    vague, LKane, ohnostalgia and 6 others like this.
  9. This is probably the first time in this rate that I’m truly SHOCKED a song has left. I really thought it had a shot of being #1 in the rate as many people seem to love Wild Hope the most out of her albums and Gardenia is the best track on it. The emotion in the song is something else.

I must admit I didn’t know what Gardenia meant so I’m glad this Write up has cleared that up! Also until earlier this year when I googled the lyrics, I always thought the lyrics were “it’s been good getting to know you” rather than “me” which changes the meaning of the song a bit.

And wow it’s not even in the top 20.

10. I hoped for top 20 with 'Gardenia', so it almost got there. I guess my fears for any placement much higher than that were warranted. Even though I simply love the song (it's maybe a Mandy top 10 for me?) I guess I can understand there being some divisiveness about it. Like I point out in the wtite-up... 'Gardenia' is almost the exact opposite of all her music up to that point, so it could be jarring or just not the right mood for some, I suppose.

Some of this, is of course, me just rationalizing to stay calm. I mean, I have @Robsolete to sweep in & give the low scorers the business! Haha!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  11. Wow the opinions for this are all over the place because I NEVER thought a song like "Gardenia" would get this far. To me it's so bare & one-note, with a clunky vocal, not one of Wild Hope's best offerings.

I think that's the thing about Mandy's genre switch to coffee-house AC, people are fans of her for very different sounds.

Still fuming that "Yo Yo" is gone.

Robert likes this.
  12. I'm having to bite my tongue real hard, or I'll say something I regret!

13. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Disaster.

vague, Music Is Death and pop3blow2 like this.
  14. Started on the write-up for the next reveal, but figured this would be a good time to give the list of what our top 20 songs are.

So Real/I Wanna Be With You (2 of 16 songs still alive)

Candy
    I Wanna Be With You

Mandy Moore (5 of 13 songs still alive)

In My Pocket
    Saturate Me
    One Sided Love
    Cry
    Crush

Coverage 5 of 12 songs still alive)

Senses Working Overtime
    The Whole Of The Moon
    Can We Still Be Friends
    Drop The Pilot
    Have a Little Faith In Me

Wild Hope (5 of 12 songs still alive)

Extraordinary
    All Good Things
    Slummin’ In Paradise
    Looking Forward To Looking Back
    Wild Hope

Amanda Leigh (1 of 10 songs still alive)

I Could Break Your Heart Any Day Of The Week:

Soundtracks & Extras (2 of 21 songs still alive)

Only Hope
    It’s Gonna Be Love

chris4862, vague, ohnostalgia and 6 others like this.
  15. What an amazing top 20.

vague and pop3blow2 like this.
  16. The soundtrack reminds me - I never did enter what my favourite Mandy movie characters were - I only recently caught up with "how do I deal", so I may have to rejig my list.

vague and pop3blow2 like this.
  17. [​IMG]

"Looking Forward To Looking Back" | 8.303

Rated 20th out of 84 total songs

Rated 4th out of 12 from Wild Hope

Chart info or stats:

The 71st most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm
    The 12th most scrobbled song from Wild Hope

Liner Notes

Written by: Steve Tannen, Mandy Moore, & Deb Talen
    Produced by: John Alagia

Track 7 from Wild Hope released June 19, 2007

"My own parade…"

"Drove to your house in the hills, where I wanted to be
    The lights were all on and I knew you were waiting for me
    And that road became familiar
    Like the mystery shape of your heart"

When I first started this rate, the original opening thread title was named after this song. There was a reason for that. Little did y’all know you were getting the first bit of MetaMandy in the rate!

I picked that song as the thread title, simply because everything about this song encapsulated what I hoped to achieve with the rate... and thus Mandy, so perfectly. It's an ultimate song of silver linings, moving on, & positive self-reflection.

As the scores rolled in, the second batch was from @Sprockrooster . They picked this as their 11. It was then I knew this rate was gonna be special. I knew @Robsolete loved the song (because he tried to sneak it past veto in a PJ00s last year. Not all heroes wear capes... ddd.) That said, while I knew he loved the song & was gonna be one of Wild Hope's biggest defenders in the rate, I didn’t know that was gonna be their 11, too. Maybe I should’ve guessed that one.

As it is, we lose our first song with multiple 11s in the rate. Let's try to keep this positive, in the spirit of the song, though.

Upon my first listen of Wild Hope in 2007, 'Looking Forward To Looking Back' was an immediate fave, and quite possibly, my absolute fave on the album for a bit. It was eventually slightly displaced by two other songs (one we just lost and one still left to come) but remains a career highlight for me.

Why is this song so special?

Well, first off, I love piano. As a keyboardist myself, my ears perk up & gravitate towards the instrument when it is front & center in a song. As some of you know, I adore Vanessa Carlton, and in her rate I connected her sonically to another 60s rock group I love: The Left Banke. They have a song called ‘She May Call You Up Tonight’. I love that song and more specifically the piano part in it. 'Looking Forward...' captured that same spirit in a way few had until I heard it (though to be fair Vanessa really got it right too on Rabbits On The Run).

Unlike some of other Weepies collabs on Wild Hope, which sometimes have quirkier folk/pop arrangements/instrumentation, 'Looking Forward' plays it a bit more straight. On the surface, its production is kinda basic & really that of a solidly built little pop/rock song. For this reason (and the fact it got two 11's by people with taste!) part of me thinks this song would've been a prime candidate for the single treatment. It's a just such a well written & catchy pop/rock song. Then I'm confronted with the last.fm stats that this is the least popular song on Wild Hope. WTF? That seems crazy to me. Regardless, it's a travesty that we only got one proper single push from the Wild Hope campaign.

All that said, the song excels is two places for me. The first is the lyrics. They fall in line with most of the confessional nature of the album, but the narrative here is a bit more cohesive. Rather than fall into overly symbolic metaphors or ambiguity, there seems to be a very cut and dry (and relatable) story a relationship burning bright & then out. The whole song is just snappy in that regard.

The other thing I love here is the third verse/bridge.

"You were asleep while I gathered my things in the dark
    The burns on my fingers were all that was left of the spark
    I didn't wanna wake you
    'Cause I knew I couldn't say
    That I know you love me in your way (You love me in your way)
    I'm looking forward to looking back on these days"

Gawd. That whole verse is really just one of my favorite moments on the album. Maybe in all of Mandy’s music. There’s just such a resigned acceptance to the whole ordeal. It always give me a little pang when she sing ‘burns on your fingers were all that was left of the spark’.

What a line.

The way most of the production drops out there for a moment during that section, is just so subtle but effective. To drop another comparison into the mix, it’s all very Fleetwood Mac.

Ultimately, while song does brim with some typical bittersweet Mandyness ('I'm fine, but I'm not okay' is one the more telling lines in the song), the whole package here is that of a generally positive outlook on an ending relationship. Not really the most typical of subject matters in pop music, but one Mandy has dipped into a few times. I think this says a lot about her general personality.

Which leads me to the conclusion on this write-up, in which I hand the baton over to one of out 11 givers, @Sprockrooster. Their commentary really touched me & hammered home the power of not Mandy's music, but music in general when I was inputting the scores for this rate.

This is a life lesson. With all this negativity in my pupil's lives and in society it is hard to sometimes to go beyond that and appreciate the good things in life. I am teaching my pupils who are in most cases in heavy private situations. So on my desk is a free translation in Dutch from this song title 'Ik kijk er naar uit om terug te kijken'. I need my pupils to see this every day. To make sure it becomes part of them. And I am not only referring to the diploma at the end of the road of their school life, but also towards the growth you do as a person. As a teacher I am proud to be part of that mostly. It is moving me to see a 15-year old from who both parents are in a divorce and fighting/screaming while doing so; using their child as a bargaining tool, which put my pupil in a heavy mental state (automutilation) to see blooming now. She is talking with fellow classmates. She is interacting. She is laughing. Some things will definitely be too ugly to ever look back on, but focus on the beautiful things. Focus on making it a beautiful memory. Escape in that thought and make it a place you would want to go to, when things are going that well. Appreciating you are accepted by your fellow class mates after you isolated first. Seeing people laugh after you make a joke. I am hoping my pupil is now looking forward to look back at this. I know I did when I was isolating myself till I was 16. Feeling acceptance when I got out of my bubble is still a moment I will never be able to feel again. But I damn love looking back at it. A life lesson originating from a title lyric from a song. Well, Mandy did that. How could I not 11 a song, which is translated on my desk and I hope to inspire my pupils on a daily basis.

"Let it go
    Let it go, sunshine
    Now you know
    Now you know it's time
    It's time"

My Score: 10

"Kicking up confetti leaves…"

Sparkle In The Sky

@Sprockrooster (11)

@Robsolete (11)

@ladylloyd (10)

@unnameable (10)
    another 100% relatable song, with a delight of a chorus.

@RUNAWAY (10)

@Zar-Unity (9.2)
    Another song with very personal lyrics telling a story of her past and how she reflects on this now. I like the rhythm of this song a lot, it has some good energy to it. Mandy sounds beautiful and passionate singing on this. I love the change later in the song where the mood darkens a bit, so well done. This song is certainly one of the better and more engaging songs on the album. The instrumentation is so rich and lively. I like how this song is both relaxing and very expressive at the same time. It can be difficult to craft a song like that but Mandy pulls it off here.

@Music Is Life (9.5)
    This bops, and I love the lyrics, which are honestly relatable in some ways

@ohnostalgia (8.5)
    Same, Mandy. Same.

@Robert (9), @vague (8)

Corner of your eye
    @VivaForever (7)

@chris4862 (7)

@tylerc904 (6)

@Remorque (7.5)

@LKane (6.5) : Simple & good.

Still Undiscovered

@Florencia. (5.75), @CasuallyCrazed (3.5)

For Your Viewing & Listening Pleasure

Live version from the Late Late Show (further evidence I think this song was in the running to be a single)

Live from Summer 2007

Some songs this reminds me of

The Left Banke: 'She May Call You Up Tonight'

Fleetwood Mac: 'Say You Love Me'

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    vague, Robert, ohnostalgia and 4 others like this.
  18. I knew it was lost when I saw the year stamp. It should have done better. But it did good already.

vague, Robert, ohnostalgia and 3 others like this.
  19. I truly loved your commentary. It made an already special song, more so.

vague, Robert, ohnostalgia and 3 others like this.
  20. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Not me having like two new life situations to apply this lesson to after my original commentary. The continued relevance.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.