Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!) | Page 44 | The Popjustice Forum

Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by pop3blow2, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What's your favorite Mandy Moore album

1. So Real

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I Wanne Be With You

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Mandy Moore

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  4. Coverage

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Wild Hope

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  6. Amanda Leigh

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Other (soundtrack, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. It's so good, I couldn't help myself! I haven't listened to it in a while. I should do that soon. Seriously, her In The Zone/Stripped.

pop3blow2 and berserkboi like this.
  2. I never knew that Drop the pilot was a promo single and had such a
    lovely video made for it. I think it's a great cover and works well
    enough as a single. But I can see why others would prefer a few
    of her other songs from Coverage as singles. Great write up @pop3blow2 !
    I found this write up really enjoyable to read. I think that you explained
    very well why Drop the pilot was the heart of Coverage and why it was
    so important to Mandy. No doubt that Epic were confused by such a radical
    transition from teen bopper to sophisticated and suddenly grown up Mandy.

I love the live AOL performance of Drop the pilot, it is so well done! Mandy
    looks completely in her element. Such a incredible singer! I love her so
    much! I feel like her new singles touch a bit on her previous throwback
    pop style of Coverage, which is exciting. Some real Mandy magic is
    underway again and I am here for all of it. She is so amazing!

I seriously second the amazing production on Drop the pilot! And indeed
    the sax was a nice touch! These covers are done with such refreshing
    passion and creative drive. It is a work of art to behold. Not everyone's
    cup of pop but for those who get it, treasure it.

Robert, pop3blow2 and berserkboi like this.
  3. [​IMG]

"Slummin' In Paradise" | 8.456

Rated 15th out of 84 total songs

Rated 3rd out of 12 from Wild Hope

Chart info or stats:

The 32nd most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm
    The 5th most scrobbled song from Wild Hope

Liner Notes

Written by: Mandy Moore & Jame Renald
    Produced by: John Alagia

Track 3 from Wild Hope released June 19, 2007

"My own parade…"

"I just know that you're worth the wait
    It's of no concern
    It's a risk I'd gladly take
    From time to time"

And we return back to world of James Renald. We do so with a doozy.

This song is loaded with the kind of Mandy duality we’ve come to love in the rate. So much so, I find this song both generally disarming & cautionary. It’s also both oddly pointed & vague.

Adding to the dual nature in the one three word question in the song,

‘Or do I’?

That one line has always connected this song to ‘Nothing That You Are’... and the very caustic line

‘I hope you burn in hell,
    or do I?

I love the coyness & ambiguity in the way Mandy sings the line 'or do I' so much. It's one of those little random moments in her artistry that tips the scale from her just being really good to being great... and adds this whole other angle to her personality. Like all of us... she is complicated.

Both songs being written with James Renald and even sharing some of the same sonics just adds this theory, that these two songs are ‘part 1 & part 2’ of bigger narrative.

What is that narrative? Well, being used for your fame seems to be the constant level here. Though, I think it’s deeper than that. I almost feel like one of the characters in the song is living dangerously vicariously through the other... in fact, maybe they both are. I don't. Let me ramble, here.

"With some brand new plans and a fancy car
    Try to place your superstar
    You can tell the story of your life
    Without slummin' in paradise"

I hate that I’ve always been somewhat interested in celebrity culture & gossip. We had a lot of those magazines around the house when I was kid and it just became part of how I consumed pop culture. It’s not a part of my personality I’ve ever been generally proud of and as I’ve gotten older I’ve gravitated to it less and less. That said, I still get sucked in sometimes.

Once aspect I’ve always found interesting are the couples where one is a huge star & the other person is just a ‘regular’ person. I’m just interested in the psychological logistics of that. Just putting their love or compassion for each other aside, can either person in such situation ever get past the celebrity factor? Thoughts one one end of ‘am I being used because of who I am?’ Thoughts of jealousy or inadequacy on the other?

All that being said, I’m both an optimist & romantic. So, when I see such odd couples form in Hollywood or elsewhere, I tend to fall in the mindset of such people are possibly balancing each other out. Maybe the celebrity finds a sense of stability in a regular ‘real’ person & likewise that person is truly inspired, supportive, & in love with the star.

I always felt Mandy & James bonded over such themes, since both got popular relatively young and had their lives upset by the collateral damage of being pop stars. A lot of James Renald's songs, even with his group Sky, were kind of loaded with multiple levels, so it makes sense that he & Mandy got on so well as songwriting partners.

Where this song & narrative becomes a bit more layered to me, taking into account the supposed autobiographical aspect of Wild Hope. Most of Mandy’s major relationships to this point had been high profile (Wilmer Valderrama, Andy Roddick, Zach Braff, etc).So, in 'Mandy world' at the this time, she really didn’t have the experience of my brain latches on to as a pilot in the song. So, in that respect 'Slummin In Paradise' (especially when paired with 'Nothing That You Are') takes the narrative of being more about the shift of power in a high profile romance. This shift could either be because one partner in the relationship now feels less important due to some sort of change in fortunes or the shift in power simply be the couple in general not being able to fully have a pure relationship due to the celebrity life they chose.

Just based on some of knowledge of Mandy's life at the time, I know the Andy Roddick relationship had a huge emotional effect on her life & it is thought that many of the songs on Wild Hope are about that. Apparently many factors put a huge strain on that relationship, for her. Maybe the song is just about thanks not being as great as you'd thought they be when you 'got to the top.'

The song could also literally be about the unhealthy & incestuous relationship celebrities have with the media/paparazzi. They both need each other > until they don’t > until they do, etc. As a celebrity, how much of yourself do you 'give away' to promote yourself? How much is taken without any agency? In this respect the whole song can also be interpreted as a meta-commentary on how fans consume the lives of the stars they love. Gossip rags are quite literally the equivalent of, ‘slummin’ in paradise'. (I’ve been watching an exuberant amount of Lindsay Ellis pop culture video essays on YouTube, so my brain is in extra high gear.)

I imagine 10 people could hear this song and have 10 different readings (I think the commentary below susses this out!). Either that makes it brilliantly dense... or indecipherable mess lyrically. I fall in the former category. Either way it kind of rocks... in that sing along at the top your lungs sorta way.

It rocks so much, and was so important to Mandy, them for a fair bit of time in late 2006 and early 2007, 'Slummin In Paradise' was gonna be the title of her album. Eventfully it changes to the equally loaded, Wild Hope, but it’s safe to say both songs capture a certain anxiety in her world at the time.

"Standing on the corner
    How's your view?
    From the other side
    Oh, Mr. Right
    It's not a pretty sight alone"

Fun to note that Jason Mraz does background vocals here and they really add a nice dimension to the song. It really wouldn’t have been a bad single choice & had they played up the featuring Jason Mraz angle in 2007, it could’ve gotten it some extra attention. There’s certainly a Kelly Clarkson-esque rock pop vibe to the song. I’m forever retroactively trying to find ways my fave flop albums could’ve been saved.

Ultimately, I just love this little song in all its ambiguous glory. I don’t really know what or whom it is about... or what it’s exactly trying to say. All I know is that is always made feel me a bit uneasy the very notion of celebrity culture, which is something I feel is very valid to question our participation in from time to time. Maybe that’s enough.... even if that wasn’t it’s goal.

My Score: 9.5

"Kicking up confetti leaves…"

Sparkle In The Sky

@Sprockrooster (10)
    A centerpiece in my summer playlist. Windows down while driving and I am chanting along.

@Robert (10)

@Robsolete (10)

@ladylloyd (10)

@RUNAWAY (9.5)
    I still remember hearing this song on her myspace, and how it was supposed to be the first single and the title track. I still feel that it could’ve worked, but I’m glad we got Wild Hope in the end

@Music Is Life (9)
    This is great. I love the middle-8, I think that might be the best part of the song. Or the chorus. Or both.

@VivaForever (9)
    Easily my favorite off the album. One of those songs that makes me want to go driving down a rural road with the windows down so the wind blows in my hair.

@Zar-Unity (8.5)
    Mandy sounds amazing singing on this! The lyrics are indeed very personal, as is this whole album. This also sounds a little country but not full on country. More so alternative pop. I've always found those background vocal cues a bit odd for the songs lyrics. This song may be a little harder to digest on a relaxing, breathy mood but I make due because it's Mandy.

@unnameable (8)
    Beautifully observed. There were days when I felt personally attacked as depending on how you read it, she could be singing about a guy who thinks he’s oh-so Bohemian but isn’t (which I may have been), or she may be singing about a struggling artist (and I settled on the day job a long time ago

@chris4862 (8), @vague (8.5)

Corner of your eye
    @LKane (7.2)
    In general this album has potential but I feel like something’s missing all the time. This song is a great example, it has nice drums, good chorus, but there are some pieces that I’m missing somewhere. I guess it has to do with the production.

@tylerc904 (7), @Florencia. (7), @Remorque (7.5)

@ohnostalgia (6)
    I must be slow today because this song’s message is eluding me.

Still Undiscovered

none!

[​IMG]

For Your Viewing & Listening Pleasure

A few rough live versions.... (it's all could find Slummin' on YouTube.)

For some reason I keep coming back to this James Renald (Sky) song called 'America' when thinking about his ability to write these little slices of pop with lots of levels, loaded lyrics, but still remain catchy & melodic. A lot of his work with Mandy had this.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Robert, vague, Music Is Death and 5 others like this.
  4. Are we seriously left with two tracks from Wild Hope whilst we are not even in the top 10?

Blasphemy!

Robert, vague, Music Is Death and 2 others like this.
  5. Another Wild Hope masterpiece out before its time?

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at this stage.

Robert, vague, Music Is Death and 2 others like this.
  6. I saw Midway last night. Mandy was great in the movie, even though I didn't realize it was her until the end credits. #Flopfan.

unnameable likes this.
  7. In a movie full of military men scowling, Mandy is there representing the Navy wives hoping their men will return.
    In her character's case, she loves Dick Best.

Music Is Death likes this.
  8. I have little interest in the movie, but will watch it at some point to just see Mandy... like I've done with about half the movies she's been in. Ha!

Music Is Death likes this.
  9. It's not really my thing, but I promised my dad I'd see it with him, as he saw the original with his dad - who was in the navy during WWII - when he was a kid, and he passed earlier this year. My aunt was visiting, so she came with us, then my mom and sister decided to join as well. It was really good, for a war movie.
    Mandy's scenes were highlights, especially when she gets sassy with one of the higher ups.

10. Got most of the next reveal write-up done at lunch today. Some people are not gonna be happy the elimination... I'm not sure I am either.

vague, Music Is Death and berserkboi like this.
  11. [​IMG]

"All Good Things" | 8.469

Rated 14th out of 84 total songs

Rated 2nd out of 12 from Wild Hope

Chart info or stats:

The 18th most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm
    The 2nd most scrobbled song from Wild Hope

Liner Notes

Written by: Mandy Moore, Deb Talan, & Steve Tannen
    Produced by: John Alagia

Track 3 from Wild Hope released June 19, 2007

"My own parade…"

"Not sure where to go
    Everybody I know
    Says I'm too forgiving
    And now that I'm gone
    I don't wanna move on
    I just keep reliving"

And so Wild Hope loses its next to last song.

While I would be lying if I said I didn’t have some mild issues with this occurrence, it is alt least fitting that the second to last song to leave from the album is ‘All Good Things’… as Wild Hope’s time is this rate is a good thing coming to an end, indeed. *sigh*

‘All Good Things’ has become a bit of fan favorite over the years, and it's easy to see why. It’s a relatable bittersweet song. Mainly positive & about act moving on, but still highlighting the fact that we all have those vulnerable moments that face us when we do end something. Those slight moments, where we’re 99% we’ve made the best choice but a lingering panic attack makes up doubt ourselves.

Some of this is because most situations or relationships, even some that are inherently toxic for us, still have things about them or moments we enjoy. Many times on Wild Hope, Mandy seems to getting out the old ‘pros & cons’ list & painstakingly taking inventory of all the possibly toxic things in her life… and weeding out the ones she feels are the most damaging.

“Lost inside of my head
    Empty side of the bed
    I feel this place without you
    I keep pushing this bruise
    'Cause I know I don't wanna lose
    What I loved about you”

How damaging is this particular relationship, though?

That particular lyric (about 'pushing this bruise') always gets me in this song. Mandy communicates in metaphor a lot, but is the lyric literal? Gawd, I always hoped not. Still, something about that line always gave me unsettling ‘he hit me & it felt like a kiss’ vibes. When you start looking at his song through the lense of abuse (either domestic or even self-abuse) it remains positive, but takes on a whole other meaning of escape.

I’ve stated earlier that I have always put, very possibly, way too much thought into Mandy’s music. Revisiting her music more than usual for this rate mixed with the realization of the mental abuse she suffered in her last marriage has added a whole other filter to many of these songs. Now, I know that the timelines are messed up, but it’s hard not to listen to some of these songs through the filter of her whole life now. That’s one thing that makes pop culture analysis even more interesting as you go along in life. I can only imagine the new emotions she could bring to many of these Wild Hope songs if she did them live now. (which she may very well be doing soon... as she's talking about touring again.)

‘There’s no place like home’ - Dorothy Gale

"All Good Things" completes several trains of thought for me in this rate.

Mandy is fairly obsessed with the idea of the past & the concept of ‘home’. She dips into some on Wild Hope and even more so on Amanda Leigh.

The other day Disney+ launched. Of course I was instant subscriber. I was overwhelmed on what to watch first when I opened the app. After scrolling through, here are first three things I watched:

• The first episode of Lilo & Stitch: The Series ...which I have’t seen in years. (Lilo & Stitch is my ultimate Disney comfort food. It’s what I list as my fave Disney movie of all time when asked.)

The next two things I randomly watched were interesting to me, in context of this rate & how my brain likes to tie things together:

• Tangled : Before Ever After (the mini movie that kicked off the animated series.)
    • Return To Oz (because even though I have the Blu-Ray, I just felt compelled to watch it. I love this flop movie more that the original Wizard Of Oz, which probably sums me up pretty well...ddd.)

Maybe it’s just because I watched those two disparate movies back-to-back, but it got me thinking about the concept of home & moving on (as those are core plot concepts in both of those movies.) Mandy, of course, being Rapunzel & me doing this rate, certainly helped connect some of these dots in my brain, that might not have originally popped in my head. (Ever my muse, that one!)

I mentioned on the song ‘Extraordinary’ & ‘Wild Hope’ that those songs use an interesting three-peat of a line in the chorus. ‘All Good Things’ does too. Except here, the three-peat is mixed with the other lines of the chorus… sorta hidden away, but striving to be heard:

All good things
    I wish you
    All good things
    Come to an end
    All good things
    I wish you well​

For some reason, I’ve become obsessed with this idea on her album. My brain has turned it into the concept of clicking your heels together three time & repeating ‘there is no place like home’. There’s a comforting aspect of the way she repeat certain lines three times at many moments on the album. It might just be cocindence or maybe there is something more to it. Regardless, the mantra type aspect of this lends itself to to centering or trying to ground yourself… and it works so well with Mandy’s vibe of self-preservation of the album. (It's also fun to note that repeats the line 'All Good Things' three times before the song starts.)

Of course, the other thing those aforementioned songs have in common is they were all co-written with The Weepies. Maybe, that’s just a style of writing they were in at the time or maybe it was a choice. Who knows. It’s fun to note, that while I mentioned ‘Can’t You Just Adore Her’ was the first Mandy song written by Mandy to actually be covered by someone else… that’s not’s entirely accurate.
    While I'm not sure it completely constitutes being considered a proper cover, since it's by the artists that helped write it... here we are!

‘All Good Things’ found a home & whole new audience on the The Weepies 2008 album Hideaway.

Found a home…. on Hideaway.

Oh, Mandy.

“I don't need somewhere to hide
    I've got this whole world inside
    I was accustomed to showing you”

My Score: 9

Sparkle In The Sky

@Sprockrooster (10)
    A lyrical counterpart and sister to 'Looking Forward to Looking Back'. Good things end, but that should put you in a misery. You could wish an ended love on good terms and who is there to say you can't look back you learned in your relationship. (Beautifully said. I never thought about it that respect ..as a sequel of sorts of Looking Forward. More things more me to think about!)

@Zar-Unity (10)
    This song is definitely a fan favorite and for me as well. It might take some getting used to at first, hearing Mandy singing light country but it actually works so well for her expression to this song. Once again, I fully welcome some uplifting, light breathy acoustic pop Mandy. Again this is one of her catchiest songs and this one she actually co-wrote herself. Talk about remarkable talent! (This song does have a lightness about it. Like typical Mandy, though, there is some heavy stuff possibly in there. Dynamic queen.)

@RUNAWAY (10)
    that middle 8 is such perfection. Her MIND. (Yes! Someone else who love this bridge! I'm a middle 8/bridge nerd. Like, you have no idea. Currently I am obsessed with the bridges Maisie Peters writes in her songs... so much so that when I recently saw her in concert and got to meet her before the show, I was like, 'I have to ask you about one of your bridges." She got a bit of a chuckle out of that....ddd.

This bridge though, is another 'whew!'

"I can think of a million ways
    You proved you weren't the one
    So live inside of your shades of gray
    And never mind the sunshine
    That I'll find..."

@CasuallyCrazed (10)

@unnameable (9)
    She manages to combine sadness for a failed relationship with a certain optimism that hits the heights normally reserved for ABBA and Carly Rae. (Referencing CRJ & ABBA in some Mandy Moore commentary. We're done here kids.)

@ohnostalgia (8.5)
    Why is this reminding me of the friendship I ended a few weeks ago? Sigh. (I know that commentary was a bit ago now, but sorry nonetheless. Mandy brings the *sighs* with many tunes.)

@Music Is Life (8.5)
    This is a nice enough song. Kinda fun, and I love her voice. (Yeah, while the overall production does seem a tad sparse... it does covet her voice some room to shine.)

@LKane (8.2)
    This song has something… but at the same time I feel like something is missing. (There is a sparseness to the production in places, though I think it was intentional... but I kinda know what you mean.)

@Robsolete (9) , @ladylloyd (8), @vague (8.75), @Remorque (8.5)

Corner of your eye

@VivaForever (6)
    Would be a 7 but the chorus is grating. (Oh, no! I love the chorus here. I find it clever.)

@tylerc904 (7)

@Robert (7), @chris4862 (7.5), @Florencia. (7.5)

Still Undiscovered

none! Yay!

giphy-9.gif

Live from AT&T's 'The Blue Room'

The Weepies version from their 2008 album Hideaway

vague, Robert, Music Is Death and 4 others like this.
  12. The audible gasp I let out after another Wild Slayage loss before top 10.

Let me quote @ohnostalgia here (a comment she made in an other rate):

vague, Robert, Music Is Death and 3 others like this.
  13. Just caught up with the last few eliminations. Interesting that one of my least favourites from Coverage (Can We Still Be Friends) and most favourites (Drop the Pilot) went out in quick succession. I was surprised to score a whole 4 points lower than anyone else for ...Friends, oops. Maybe I should give it another go. Drop the Pilot is fantastic though, so full of energy.

I'm a little surprised that only one track from Wild Hope has made the top 10, although I need to go back and refresh my memory over what's left. This rate has really helped me to fall in love with Wild Hope the album so much and I've been going back to it more this year than any other time. Slummin in Paradise remains one of the highlights.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  14. Got the write-up for #13 completed... so I'll post soon.

The whole write-up is disjointed mess... but I kinda love it none-the-less!

15. [​IMG]

"Have A Little Faith In Me" | 8.500

Rated 13th out of 84 total songs

Rated 3rd out of 12 from Coverage

Chart info or stats:

The 9th most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm
    The most scrobbled song from Coverage

Liner Notes

Written by: John Hiatt
    Produced by: John Fields

Track 12 from Coverage released October 15, 2003

"My own parade…"

"I will hold you up, I will hold you up and
    Your love gives me strength enough to
    Have a little faith in me"

I immediately noticed something about this song upon the release of Coverage. Almost every song on the album was released before Mandy was born except for two. In fact, she even made point in certain interviews to highlight that all the of the songs on the album were from the 70s & 80s or before she’d was born. Many reviewers dialed in on this, too.

One of those two songs, was ‘The Whole Of The Moon’, which barely beat the Mandy birthday deadline... coming out in 1985 (in fact, for some reason my brain often thinks this song is older than it is). The other was a bit more glaring to me... our elimination here, ‘Have A Little Faith In Me’. In fact, several things about this song made it stand out as cover choice... especially since it was the last song on the album.

This write up is bound to be a bit all over the place... so bear with me.

"When the road gets dark
    And you can no longer see
    Just let my love throw a spark
    And have a little faith in me"

When I was growing up, Rosanne Cash was a big deal in our house. Actually, she’s still a pretty big deal to me... and the older I get I appreciate her music more and more. As if she wasn’t already a big deal in our house, in 1987 she recorded an album called King's Record Shop. It was named after a famous record shop in the city I lived in... and a store my dad bought records at as a kid. So, as you can imagine was a pretty popular album in my house.

That album is special to me for many reasons, bot the slightest is that it contains arguably my favorite Rosanne Cash song, ‘The Way We Make A Broken Heart’. Even as kid, I studied & memorized album liner notes... more so than my schoolwork to my parent's chagrin, haha! I took note of the fact that the song was written by John Hiatt. I had no idea who he was, but over my growing music fandom the next several years I saw name pop up more and more as a writer on other artists and albums I liked. Eventually, I even started hearing some of his original music on local independent radio & even bought a cd. He really is someone who just understands that old school craft of writing a properly good tune. As a burgeoning songwriter myself in my teens, I completely understood why she was so respected (This also won’t be the last time Rosanne Cash gets a mention in this rate.)

‘Have A Little Faith In Me’ was first released by him in 1987 on his first album to chart called Bring The Family. It never charted as single, but quickly found an audience on smaller indie stations & would be featured on many soundtracks in the years right after (Benny & Joon, Look Who’s Talking Now, and many more) It also became a song many artists wanted to cover. Notably Joe Cocker's version became well known. Artists as diverse as Jewel & Chaka Kahn turned out covered by the end of the 90’s. (Hell, there was even a recent cover by Dolly Parton & Galantis!)

Over the years, the song would become something of staple of weddings...as a popular first dance song. This is something I find interesting on several levels with song & that we will get back to later.

Mandy apparently loves the song & jumped at the opportunity to cover it. Her version is interesting to me. First off, it does stand out a bit on the album as feeling a bit more current. Not necessarily in a bad way, but since the song is a few years ’newer’ than most of the song she covered, it does make it stand out a bit. It’s a subtle thing, but the song does sound a bit more contemporary than most of the other songs... some of this just owing to the fact that it got covered a lot in the 90's and was used in a lot of pop culture media. Mix that fact with the sonics of the song, which sound a bit like some of the more trendy styled ballads on Self-titled or even A Walk To Remember-ish.

"And when the tears you cry
    Are all you can believe
    Just give these loving arms a try
    And have a little faith in me"

On some levels, ‘Have A Little Faith In Me’ was perhaps an odd first choice as single for the Coverage project. It was not highlighting many of the more obscure songs of the album that many critics & even Mandy were selling as an angle of how bold the albums was. Likewise, some like 'Have A Little Faith In Me' had been covered much more in recent times & seemed a bit more played out it some ways. Surely something like 'One Way Or Another' or 'I Feel The Earth Move' would've been a 'boppier' pop single if you wanted to release a more known song?

But when you start to take the above notes into account it makes a bit more sense as to why Sony was on board with the song as single. It sounded the most like 'Mandy Moore' & since it was known song, I think they hoped it would at least play to the Adult Contemporary radio demo, if nothing else.

I think Mandy was on board with the song as the opening single for other reasons. Lyrically, the song was a fitting opening statement for the project & where Mandy was at in her career. I think Mandy was wanting both her fans, her label, & maybe even herself to have a little faith in the direction she was heading into.

The song flopped.

"And when your back's against the wall
    Just turn around and you will see
    I will catch, I will catch your fall baby
    Just have a little faith in me"

It’s not like Sony didn’t try... though I think the missed the mark. There was a fair amount of promo & hype around the release. VH1 had a flashy premiere for the video (my how the times had quickly changed from MTV being Mandy’s main audience). There was even an accompaying VH1 special about Mandy made around this time. It highlighted Coverage, her change in direction as an artist & actress. Despite the label’s general confusion with the album, they knew there was enough interest in Mandy as a thing to at least try and see if it would stick.

VH1 did play the video fairly steadily for a couple of months & it stayed on their video countdown for a few weeks. It crept on the Billboard Pop Chart peaking at #39 & then disappeared. Really, no other song from the album would get any major single push after its failure. That in and of itself aways added some bittersweet irony to the song’s plea.

When you look into the song’s meaning & background story from writer John Hiatt, the song becomes even more interesting in the Mandy tale.

As wikipedia states:

The song was the first song written by Hiatt following his sobriety from drugs and alcohol, which had already contributed to his marriage breakdown and his being released by former record labels. Hiatt's original attempt at recording the song took place at a friend's studio and included a larger instrument accompaniment. However, the recording was plagued by technical issues. The morning after, Hiatt was informed that his estranged wife had committed suicide. Hiatt attributes the technical problems with the original recording as a sign that the song was not meant to be heard that way, and he eventually released the song with a much simpler piano accompaniment.

The irony that 'Have A Little Faith In Me' was the song that saved his career is interesting when compared to what it did to Mandy’s. The complete failure of the song when coupled with her other commercial failures for Sony were certainly a factor in their decision to part ways (again, whether she was dropped, left willingly, or mutually decided is sometimes vague.)

Despite its failure as the lead single, I still personally contend it was good choice. It sonically bridged the gap between Self-Titled & Coverage very well. Even the main lyrical declaration of the song’s chorus could be seen as Mandy’s plea for everyone around her to give her chance in this reinvention.

Why I think Sony missed the mark & the single failed for a lot of reasons. While it's a beautiful song, think maybe it was too safe. It wasn't really a great signifier of how unique the album was. If part of the point of the album was too introduce her younger fans to these weird & obscure songs from before she was born, 'Senses Working Overtime' or 'Drop The Pilot' were better examples. 'Have A Little Faith In Me' should've been a follow-up or last single from the album. Mandy was still only 18 at the time. I then their play to make her suddenly appeal to an adult contempo/VH1 crowd so quickly, was selling her youth & her fans short.
    There were all kinds of fun ways they could've kept the promo on brand for MTV fanbase & still dipped their toe in older markets.

I mean, a lot of the huge promo for Coverage was so aimed at getting adults to like her in some ways. It was kind of weird. She was on Oprah, had VH1 special, & even ABC Nightline. All of those outlets played up the same angles about 'how Mandy was teen pop star who kept her clothes on' & how Coverage was 'full of tunes their parents would remember & love'. I think some of this was great & I loved how Mandy was bridging generations in some ways, but the balance shifted too much one direction in many ways. A main point of the album was to get these songs to her fans: Teenagers. Sony missed the bus the with marketing there.

"When your secret heart
    Cannot speak so easily
    Come here darlin'
    From a whisper start
    To have a little faith in me"

I’ll end the write-up with something a bit nerdy about this song’s video & Coverage that I never found any info on or got clarification about over the years.

The album’s opening song is 'Senses Working Overtime'. The last lyric in that song is: ‘And church bells suddenly chime’. … and then we actually hear the echoes of church bells in the distance one the track as it fades into 'The Whole Of The Moon'.

The video mix of 'Have A Little Faith In Me' always slightly sounded slightly different to me (the electronic programing always seemed more beefed up in the mix) but the most glaring difference between the version on Coverage & video version are the actual church bells at the beginning of the song. Listen to them in the video below!

One of my few issues with Coverage was that after I heard those bells on the video version, I was disappointed they weren’t in the album version. In fact, the bells in the intro to the video version of 'Have A Little Faith..' actually seem like the ‘clearer-mixed’ version of the ones at the end of ‘Senses Working Overtime.’ The album certainly has elements of being a ‘concept record’ & once I heard this audible clue, it really does tie the vibe of the album together. Making it even more interesting is that that last single from the album was ’Senses Working Overtime’. Her brain was certainly on some tracts at this time.

The other part of the ‘wedding song’ narrative I alluded to earlier in the rate is completely self-deluded fan fiction level kind of stuff!

Three songs that kind of form of sonic story in my head are ‘Cry’, ‘It’s Gonna Be Love’, & ‘Have A Little Faith In Me’. Add ‘Only Hope’ as an epilogue in there, and those four songs are like a mini musical of A Walk To Remember. Maybe it’s just because I made a Mandy mix cd in the early 00’s & those songs were in that order, but brain tapped into that story & the emotion of it all. I mean, if you listen to ‘Have A Little Faith In Me’ just plugged in randomly to self-titled or even The Walk To Remember soundtrack, it works so well sonically (well, maybe minus the saxophone). So, maybe, in her own little way, the song is a wink a nod from Mandy to her fans about several aspects of her career.

Secret hearts cannot speak so easily.

My Score: 9.6

Sparkle In The Sky
    @ladylloyd (10), @Florencia. (10)

@Music Is Life (10)
    Lead single as the closer? Love that concept, especially since this is a perfect closer. I have faith that she'll release new music this year. Jokes aside, this is a great cover, and I love her voice and the production. What an album.

@unnameable (10), @Remorque (10)

@Robsolete (9.5), @vague (9.5), @RUNAWAY (9.5)

@Zar-Unity (9.2)
    Another cover where Mandy's incredible vocals are the definite forefront to the song! Her voice sounds just breathtaking on this song! I don't even know who the original artist is that wrote this or if I'd even like their voice and their music but I love Mandy's cover of this one! This makes a solid closer to Coverage and with a song where you are just fully appreciating Mandy's amazing, souring vocals on. At the same time I might feel a little disconnected with this song by the original artist who wrote it but Mandy surely makes it shine.

@chris4862 (9)
    Just gorgeous.

@LKane (8.7)
    - and now we have “the single”. That saxophone sounds weird for her… but the song is pretty good.

@Sprockrooster (8)

Corner of your eye
    @VivaForever (7)
    It’s fine, especially as a way to wind down the album, but I’ll always be appalled it was chosen as the lead single over Senses Working Overtime, The Whole of the Moon, or One Way or Another.

@ohnoitisnathan (7.5)
    Personally I find this song cliche, but Mandy sounds beautiful on it.

@tylerc904 (7)

Still Undiscovered

@Robert (5), @CasuallyCrazed (3.5)

Live from AOL Sessions

Live from the Wayne Brady Show

John Hiatt's Original

My favorite John Hiatt song (an excuse to plug Rosanne Cash in here, too...ddd)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  16. I have always loved Mandy's take on Have A Little Faith In Me - mellow in the best possible way, it also showed us (back in the day) how beautifully her singing voice was developing. This would have gotten a high score from me here, I believe. Great write-up as always @pop3blow2 :D

17. I just watched Rosanne Cash videos on YouTube the last hour. #RabbitHole

I forgot to mention, that at the end of 'The Way We Make A Broken Heat' video you see the King's Record Shop I mentioned above & some of the video was even shot in my city.

vague, Robert and berserkboi like this.
  18. I’m not too sad to see that go now. It’s probably my least favourite Mandy single. For me the chorus lets it down a bit. There were so many other great songs on Coverage that I would have preferred to have been a single.

19. #12 coming later today or tomorrow... and then I get to spill some drama tea on the top 10!
    tenor.gif
    Dum-Dum-Duuummmmm....

Also, updated all the elimination board stats on page one.

20. [​IMG]

"One Sided Love" | 8.567

Rated 12th out of 84 total songs

Rated 5th out of 12 from Mandy Moore

Chart info or stats:

The 80th most scrobbled Mandy song on Last.fm (WTF!)
    The 7th most scrobbled song from Mandy Moore

Liner Notes

Written by: E. Estefan, Jr., J. Garza, Jon Secada, P. Flores
    Produced by: Estefan, Jon Secada, Pablo Flores, Javier Garza

Track 4 from Mandy Moore released June 19, 2001

"My own parade…"

"I know you've tried your best
    But that's not good enough for me
    Understand, nevertheless
    Love's gotta go both ways
    "

We are at #12 in this rate and we're just now revealing the top 5 from self-titled. That says something about the quality of Mandy Moore. That 'One Sided Love' isn’t even a single and got this close to the top 10 says even more. Like many other rates, as we approach the top 10 here, the single effect is becoming real. Over half of the songs remaining are singles.

So what of this song? Is a random album track of her 12 best songs? Truth be told, the high ranking of this one is a bit of a surprise. Pleasant, but a surprise. If I had guessed before the rate, I would’ve had it likely finishing about #25... maybe top 20. It was actually always towards the top 10. Y'all really live this album. This makes me happy & reassures the feelings I've had for the album for 18 years.

That said, much how I kinda feel surprised about how the song wound up in final results, this song almost doesn’t deserve to go as hard as it does. But it does. It really does.

"Well you push me to the left then you push me to the right
    But you gotta meet in the middle
    If you wanna make this right
    But you gotta believe
    So here it is (Here it is, baby, here it is)"

'One Sided Love' is almost a more aggressive version of ‘In My Pocket’. In some ways it’s a better song, but ‘In My Pocket’, as an overall production, was certainly a better (more polished) lead off single choice. It has always reminded me of the sequel to that song in some ways though. It was produced by the same Emilo Estefan led team as 'In My Pocket', so it makes sense,

The songs is very punchy. It’s even a bit shouty, in some ways. I love it for that reason. Mandy’s vocal is very unique on this song compared to others in her discography. From the fast talk/singing on the pre-chorus to the sassy shouting on the chorus, Mandy has certain vocal attitude in this song that she seldom presented in other songs. (I sometimes think she tried to capture the spirt of this song on 'One Way Or Another', but missed the mark some.)

In fact, in some ways self-titled is the pinnacle of one aspect Mandy doesn’t get enough credit for. Her versatility as a vocalist. While I personally prefer her vocals on later records (i.e. Coverage) more than Mandy Moore, it’s hard to argue that her ability to shift between many different pop vocal styles was at its pinnacle on this album.

"I wanna help you out
    Tell you what it's all about
    What I feel, what I need
    How it's gonna be
    So what you wanna do
    What you really wanna do
    'Cause I've decided everything I want from you"

You all know how much I love Mandy, at this point, obviously. (We're taking @berserkboi Dalida levels of adoration!) I skated around referring to her ‘as my favorite pop star of all-time’ for a portion of the rate... mainly because the Ultimate Pop Star Rate was going on and I didn’t want to give my #1 away (I probably failed miserably at hiding that.)

That said, my favorite pop ‘singer’ ever, as in actual vocalist, is one Carly Rae Jepsen. She really wasn't until the last couple of years, but finally I had to admit to myself. Mandy was always on my shortlist of fave all-time pop singers, though.

My brain is drawn to connecting Carly here for two reasons. The first is that one thing I love about Mandy & Carly is how dynamic their voices are (and how grossly underrated I think both are in this respect). They both can tackle so many styles of pop, adapting their voice just perfectly to what the song needs from them. It’s not a talent everyone has.

They are also both great at little, seemingly throwaway adlibs & whispery atmospheric background vocals that take really good song & make them great. They turn pop songs into experiences where you can can listen to them multiple times & pick on new things each time. It's something Mandy did much more on her early records (peaking with Mandy Moore & Coverage). Since the then she taken a more straight forward, soulful approach to her singing. She still play with her register some, but there's not as much of the vocal icing she used to do. I miss it sometimes & is probably one reason I've become so smitten with CRJ the last several years.

"I'm giving you a second chance
    But you gotta understand
    If you don't know how to love me
    I will find someone who can"

The other reason I bring up Carly is purely a couple of odd personal observations on my 30 + year journey as a pop fan.

First off, both had one brief moment of commercial & chart glory… and then seemingly couldn’t sell or chart songs for shit even though most agreed they were making their best work after their big hit.

My propensity for flop fandom hit me like a ton of bricks during the hype of Emotion. Even though nothing should surprise me in the work of pop, I was dumbfounded at how such a brilliant album could commercially flop so badly (in fact, it was Emotion's failure that led me finally create a forum account here so I could talk to other obsessives).

With the Emotion, my brain immediately dialed into the flop-fandom-PTSD I had at the height of Mandy Mania, with self-titled. The flood of feelings are back of anticipating the release, buying the album, following the campaign, hearing the praise, believing the world was finally going to come their senses & elevate this talented queen to thrown she deserved…. and then watching it flop.

Now, even as one of the biggest Mandy fans on the planet…Emotion is clearly a better album by a fair margin.. so I'm doing an apples to apples to comparison, here. But the parallels in many respects of their career arc & artistic growth arc were glaring to me as a pop fan. Not the least being that this rate has proved what actually, beloved, cult classic of an album Mandy Moore is. Over half the songs made the top 25.

I thought to myself one time while in the Cary Rae Emotion thread, ‘can you imagine how the Mandy stans could’ve used tools like this highlight & rally the troops to appreciate Mandy Moore in 2001?’ I say that both jokingly & seriously. The fans of certain artists today have much power with the internet & social media than 2001. I immediately thought Mandy Moore was amazing & destined to classic pop album, regardless of the fact it was struggled to find an audience...& even with me trying desperately to get people to listen to it. (Much the same way many were trying to get their friends & family to listen to Emotion.) The means to do that are so much easier now, in regards to the sharing & consumption of music, that certain flop album can quickly ascend to cult status. I can only imagine how Mandy would've fared in modern climate of how pop is released & consumed.

"One sided love
    Is never gonna work
    So let me tell you something
    That I'm sure you never heard of
    Tender love and care
    In case you're unaware
    So, I'll tell you what
    Let me tell you where it's at
    Hit me with your best shot"

For my money, Mandy Moore is one of the top 5 great cult classic pop albums of the 00’s. It's all killer, no filler. Few of her contemporaries pulled that off. It may never reach Carly Rae levels of adoration, but seeing the love it got in this rate proved what I always knew about it....

That is an amazing pop album.

Oh, the other small personal pop connection for Mandy & Carly for me, is that from 2003 to 2015… Coverage was my unbothered Desert Island Album. It still is my D.I.A., but I’ll be dammed if that Canadian Pop Sorceress didn’t ‘hit me with her best shot’ & damn near do the impossible. That, in of itself, left me shook.

My Score: 9

Sparkle In The Sky
    @tylerc904 (10)
    - This goes so hard! HIT ME WITH YOUR BEST SHOT. (It went so hard, it nearly punched its ways into the top 10!)

@Music Is Life (10)
    - BOP. I fucking love this, especially her voice on it. The Middle Eastern-lite production makes me move. (If you hadn't have tenned this, I may have had to have canceled the rate...haha!)

@Robsolete (10) , @CasuallyCrazed (10), @ladylloyd (10)

@vague (9.75)
    - Love the production on this one. this feels like a slightly grittier "In My Pocket", so ofc i love it. (Oooh, yeah...'grittier' is a good word!)

@Zar-Unity (9.7)
    - This one is a banger! Even though this song could have easily fit another pop artist better, Mandy makes this song truly shine. Always one of my favorites for its raw energy and great production bits. Every part of this song is great and highly enjoyable. And since this one is so enjoyable, I am willing to overlook the song not really fitting with Mandy's artist persona that much. You gotta love this side to Mandy, showing us her fierce pop attitude. (In many ways I think this fit Mandy's attitude better than 'In My Pocket', which especially with the video, made her seem a bit uncomfortable at times with her new maturity. This one fits a bit more with some of the sassy side we saw from her on parts of Wild Hope & 'I Could Break Your Heart Any Day Of The Week. )

@Sprockrooster (9)
    - If that chorus had a bit more umph this would have been a 10 without a doubt. (I mean, this song pretty umphy...dddd!)

@ohnostalgia (8.5)
    - HIT ME WITH YOUR BEST SHOT: FIRE AWAY!!!

( YES! :
    )

@Remorque (9)

@VivaForever (8)
    - The Middle Eastern sound works better for me here than on In My Pocket, actually. Possibly because it’s a bit shoutier? (I love that you called it shouter! Also, let's not forget her 'Shoutback' concert where sang one of the few live versions of it. Below...)

@RUNAWAY (8.75)

@Florencia. (8.5)

Corner of your eye
    @Robert (7), @chris4862 (6.5)

@unnameable (7)
    - the backing really lifts up an otherwise mediocre song. (It is a bit rough around the edges, but I find the song pretty strong...all in all.)

Still Undiscovered

@LKane (4)
    - The sounds in this album are so pretentious.. Plus not the best production.. This song is an example of the mess they were making for Mandy by the time. (So, I'm guessing my rambling about self-titled being a deserved cult classic rings a bit hollow. Ha!)

Live from her Much Music Shoutback concert
    (Can we talk about she is running around barefoot like Rapunzel. #dead)

Of course, I need to include something Carly, here! Haha!

Here's a decent isolated vocal by Carly Rae for 'Now That I Found You'. All the vocal stuff she does in this song blows my mind. I would kill for versions of her albums with all the tracks separated into instrumentals & isolated vocals... just to study it all. The Beach Boys released Pet Sounds like that, so now I want all fave albums that way..ddd

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    tylerc, Music Is Death, vague and 6 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.