Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!) | Page 47 | The Popjustice Forum

Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by pop3blow2, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What's your favorite Mandy Moore album

1. So Real

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I Wanne Be With You

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Mandy Moore

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  4. Coverage

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Wild Hope

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  6. Amanda Leigh

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Other (soundtrack, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. [​IMG]

"Extraordinary" | 9.128

Rated 7th out of 84 total songs

Rated 1st out 12 from Wild Hope

Chart info or stats:

The #8th most scrobbled Mandy song of all-time on Last.fm
    The 4th most scrobbled song from Wild Hope on Last.fm

US BILLBOARD HOT 100 : #102 (#2 Bubbling Under)
    US BILLBOARD ADULT TOP 40: #25
    US MAINSTREAM POP AIRPLAY: #85

The video peaked at #12 on VH1's countdown: July, 2007

287,000 Digital Singles sold (according to Soundscan)

Liner Notes

Written by: Mandy Moore, Deb Talen, & Steve Tannen
    Produced by: John Alagia

Track 1 from Wild Hope released June 18, 2007

The single was released on April 10th, 2007 (Mandy's 23rd Birthday)

It was included in the film trailer & soundtrack for the film Georgia Rule (starring Lindsay Lohan & more) the same year.

"My own parade…"

"A signature song is the one song (or, in some cases, one of a few songs) that a popular and well-established recording artist or band is most closely identified with or best known for. This is generally differentiated from a one-hit wonder in that the artist usually has success with other songs as well. There have also been instances where an actor has acquired a signature song by giving a popular vocal performance in a film. Signature songs can be the result of spontaneous public identification, or a marketing tool developed by the music industry to promote artists, sell their recordings, and develop a fan base. Artists and bands with a signature song are often expected to perform it at every concert appearance, usually as an encore on concert tours, sometimes being the last song of the setlist." - Wikipedia

What really makes a signature song? Does the artist have any real agency in this process or does culture just dictate the terms here? This all becomes more complicated with an artist like Mandy, who disowned her first couple of albums for a long time, and has a couple of songs on said albums that certainly potentially fall into this category.

Adding more ambiguity here, is that Mandy’s most known songs actually have a soundtrack angle. Once could argue that a song from the A Walk To Remember Soundtrack or even Tangled might fall into conversation of her 'signature song'. She's as well know for some of those as singer, that anything.

And then there’s the songs she’s actually written...starting mainly with the Wild Hope project. Surely a whole new era of artistry and certainly the beginning of the the work she is proudest of (her amazing album of covers aside), Could any of these songs be considered Mandy’s signature songs? Even though these songs weren't as 'big', they get a shot at this title, right?

So the main potential contenders for Mandy’s signature song are:

• 'Candy' : A pop culture capsule song of dubious chart success... possibly as well known for its video.
    • 'I Wanna Be With You': Mandy’s biggest hit and only top 40 song on the US Billboard charts.
    • Cry (or possibly Only Hope) from the A Walk To Remember era and among her most streamed songs to this day

Like everything Mandy, we get into some weird nuance & shades of gray. I know some would not agree with me here, , but I consider ‘Extraordinary’ another contender for her signature song. It is the song that I chose to use as the template for my rate write-ups & score presentation structure. This was, of course, very much on purpose. To me the song symbolizes all the pieces coming together for her as true artist. That alone has to count for something. Also, if we're being honest, 'Extraordinary' did surprisingly better on the charts than some other Mandy songs... and actually briefly found it's audience, even parlaying that success into a bit of airplay today (fairly amazing for a song well past its pop shelf life.) In this respect, it's hard for me not think of another song other than ‘Extraordinary’ as her signature song.

Released on her 23rd birthday to showcase her newfound artistic direction & voice, to me the song was designed to reset 'the Mandy Moore timeline'. It is almost a reintroduction of her as a complete artist. So, at the very least, it's a signature song of Mandy 2.0.

Mandy’s timeline in pop has always been so complicated. False starts, reboots, fleeting random successes, being beings the curve in specific pop culture zeitgeists.... and ahead of the curve in many others. Factor in her long gaps in records & such... and it is hard to have any sense of continuity, in really annealing her work. Her discography & timeline is just so disjointed & weird. Coverage added more layers, firmly creating the concept in her artistry of an old soul taking residence in the body of teen (this sounds like a horror movie...ddd). Wild Hope certainly grew out of some of the sonic ideas she explored & older artists she was impaired by. Still, despite the very obvious call backs to some classic artists in some places, reding bout who she was working with before the album came out showed it was decidedly current in maybe ways and her collaboration base seemed to indicate was very much of the moment.

What was this woman up to?

"A fandom is a subculture composed of fans characterized by a feeling of empathy and camaraderie with others who share a common interest. Fans typically are interested in even minor details of the object(s) of their fandom and spend a significant portion of their time and energy involved with their interest, often as a part of a social network with particular practices (a fandom). - Wikipedia

In my very long history as a pop fan, there have been very few albums I was as excited about as Wild Hope. I mean, I get excited about pop music a lot (I still remain as excitable about all this stuff at 40 as I was at 10), but there are those tent pole releases in your journey as a fan, that just sort of define your life. You don't even completely always realize it at the time, but some times (maybe one year later or maybe five) you're like, 'wow. that changed me or my perception of something in the world.'

In early 2007 it had been over 3 years since Coverage. By this point it had taken the pantheon of me considering it my favorite album of all-time. Some of my friends, especially the ones who were into music as much me, always seems a bit baffled by my love for Mandy & more specifically Coverage. Still, I waxed poetic about it in conversations about music & pop culture, to those that would feign interest. The reality though, is that while my Mandy love wasn’t lessening in 2007, there was a certain momentum from that era that was now starting to run fumes for me. Three years is a long time in ‘pop years’, I felt she was missing her moment. I needed the other shoe to drop. I knew she was working on stuff, BUT I NEEDED IT YESTERDAY! (oh, the impatience of fandom). Some of this was purely for my own self-satisfaction, as I wanted more evidence to showcase that she was indeed ‘as amazing’ as I was consistently hyping her up to be.

We got some teasers on her MySpace page, but when the first proper single & video were announced, I was over-the-moon stoked. It was finally happening.

‘Extraordinary’ lived up to the hype I had created in my mind.

Behind a shuffling drum beat, echoes of electric guitar, and jazzy jolts of electric keyboards Mandy’s voice floats over the sonics with a world weary optimism, uniquely suited to the lyrics.

And what lyrics they were.

"I was a daydream
    Quiet and unseen
    I lived in stories, but inside, I kept a mystery

I was a starling
    Nobody's darling
    Flying in perfect circles just for company"

What a way to re-introduce yourself! Perfect really. Within 6 lines Mandy captures how she felt the first 6 years of her career. For only the second time in her career we were hearing Mandy singing her own words ('When I Talk To You', being the first).... and the first time on a single. Whereas something like 'Candy' was pure bubblegum & obvious... this was bubbling under the surface with something more. Effervescent, but cautiously optimistic.

The repeating of the line of ‘and now I’m ready’ seemingly self-referencing Mandy’s own musical false starts, in her own very subversive way. It's almost an audible wink implying, 'Third time's a charm, right?'

The song is certainly among the more upbeat & positive on the album. It’s such a freeing song of new-found self-purpose. I love that the song isn’t self-congratulatory in it’s realizations though. The way the chorus lingers in the air with some anxiety, shows that Mandy knows she isn’t extraordinary yet… she's just ready to be. She know there is still work to do, but is excited because she now has agency in the process. There’s maybe always work to in bettering ourselves and this song is anthem of that idea. This kind of messaging is a sharp turn from all the psuedo-generic 'self-love' & ‘Independent anthems’ of the 00’s. I like a lot of those, too, but Mandy has even pointed at some of those style songs in the past (in interviews & such) and admitted she’s much more interested in the nuance that comes out the other end of such declarations. Things aren’t so black & white. She is more interested in the journey to such realizations & endpoints.

In this respect, 'Extraordinary' is a great song to start the album with. Wild Hope is one of my fave albums of the 00’s, but it is album I’ve played with with track listing on before. I was never 100% sure the tone was right with how the tracks flowed. Over time I just got used to it, but doing this rate was got me thinking a lot more about it again. Time flows in weird directions in Mandy's mind & soul... and certainly on the album. There’s just a haziness to it all. In that sense, the track listing, starts to matter very little & you just sucked into her little world.

"Waking up to a week of Sundays
    I've got my own parade
    Stopping off at a sidewalk cafe
    Wind is playing in the trees
    Kicking up confetti leaves
    Seems as if it's all to say"

Mandy, with the help of a cast of amazing collaborators (including John Alagia's ace production here... whew!) created a very special world with Wild Hope. It really does read like a soundtrack to Mandy's mind... this time with her own words, too. A song like 'Extraordinary' wouldn't be out of place on a Kacey Musgraves album today. In 2007, Mandy was honestly a bit ahead of the curve in where parts of the music industry was going. Now, maybe simple because of her name, she was never going to be taken seriously by some in creating her unique brand of quirky, indie, alt-country, folk-rock-pop.... but the reality is that she did. And she did it well.

In the pop landscape of 2007, ‘Extraordinary’ struggled to fit in. Behind some solid VH1 airplay of the very whimsical video, the song did actually go to #25 on the Billboard AC chart. It limped onto mainstream airplay chart at #85. I still hear the song today in department store/ grocery store radio systems & as recently as my cities airport this year. While it never became ‘a hit’ the song has found an incredibly long half-life for a flop single that is over 12 years old. (From me hearing it in airports & my grocery... to Zar hearing it in their Wendy's... to a funny YouTube comment I saw from just 4 days ago: "I hear her song in the lobby of Taco Bell and it's so wonderful!")

I think all of this speaks to the song’s complete charm.

The song, like Mandy, really is an unlikely & quirky little survivor. Mandy has continually been written off by many, and she always finds a way to make her own unique path, in her own way. She’s got her own parade.

Maybe becoming extraordinary is truly a constant state of becoming. Maybe you only capture briefly and then start the process all over aging (much like Mandy in the very underrated video). Maybe that the whole point of pop (or art period) and why as fans we care so drawn to the momentary highs, clarity, & euphoria it gives us. (and why artists themselves continue to chase creating these things).

'Extraordinary' is one of those moments though, where for 2:58 Mandy Moore sparkled in the sky & perfectly shined uncovered.

"A midnight airplane
    A window glowing
    I know I am another sparkle in the sky
    I shine uncovered
    Still undiscovered
    But you might see me in the corner of your eye"

My Score: 10

"Kicking up confetti leaves…"

Sparkle In The Sky
    @Zar-Unity (10)
    - This is such a lovely acoustic pop song. So well crafted and this type of light breathy pop fits Mandy so well.
    I remember hearing this at my local Wendy's while eating a salad and I was pleasantly surprised. Wendy's has taste! This fits perfectly as a relaxing and engaging opener to Wild hope. Mandy sounds more mature and at a better state of mind on this song. Great vibes, this song always puts me in a good mood. The music video for this is also too cute.

@vague (10)
    - the vocal melody is sooo good, and her vocals are fantastic here. i really dig this direction her career took after her two teen pop albums. i don't know why i was so apprehensive to listen to her last three albums; they've been great (so far ddd).

@ohnostalgia (10)
    - I was a starling, nobody’s darling.” Oof.

@Robsolete (10), @Remorque (10)

@Music Is Life (10)
    - Great lead single. She actually kinda suits the country and folk pop style and this does it very well. I love the violins throughout this especially, and her vocals. And the lyrics are great, self-affirming without being cheesy. Love this.

@unnameable (10)
    - the obvious choice of lead single for the album, this is a total bop. It really showcases her voice and signposts the direction she was moving in musically.

@RUNAWAY (10)
    - this was the perfect first single and opening track for this album. I love this sound that she perfected with this album and I really wish she would make more music.

@LKane (9.3)
    - I’m not a huge fan of this album, but this first single was a great choice. It’s catchy and somehow different.

@Sprockrooster (9)
    - Such a feel good start for an album.

@Robert (9), @ladylloyd (9), @CasuallyCrazed (9.5)

@VivaForever (8)
    - I was a starling, nobody’s darling’ is a fantastic lyric. This was a good stylistic transition from Coverage to Wild Hope. Her vocals are iffy at times though.

Corner of your eye
    @tylerc904 (6) , @chris4862 (7), @Florencia. (7.5)

Still Undiscovered

NONE! YAY!

[​IMG]

For Your Viewing & Listening Pleasure

Live on Good Morning America

Live from the Brick Awards

Acoustic version in the AT&T Blue Room

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Robert, vague, LKane and 8 others like this.
  2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Injustice.

vague, Zar-Unity, Robsolete and 4 others like this.
  3. I didn't get into this in the fandom part of the write-up above, but I have funny Mandy/Wild Hope-era story.

She announced a small mini-tour in mid 2007 to promote the album, which was kind of a big deal since she toured very little at that point. I, of course immediately bought tickets for the Chicago show, that was 'closest' to me. It was also ultimately recorded & streamed live on MSN... see below.

The album was actually released on the day of the show (June 18th, 2007). Super special. I couldn't wait for the actual release, though, & wanted to have all the songs memorized by the time I saw her; so I downloaded a leaked copy weeks before the concert. Fandom. (Don't worry, I bought it in multiple formats, too...)

So, she was introducing these songs to a crowd & most had never heard them or heard them until that day, at best. Here I am, off to stage-left singing every lyric to every song. This probably surprises very few of you!

After the show was over a group of kids (teens) come up to me & ask if I manage her fan club. I was like, 'what?'. They all said, 'well, we saw you singing all the words to the brand new songs & figured you must've gotten an advance release somehow.' I just laughed and told them, 'well, I guess you could say I manage the Kentucky branch of her fan club'. ddd

It does sort of perfectly illustrate how completely fanatical I was in that era. (like this rate is proving I'm any less...haha!)

I should also note that I drove 12 hours that day to see Mandy (6 hours there & 6 hours back), because I very stupidly forgot to request off work. The Dedication! (I never did that again.)

Here's that whole show on YouTube. It's a little choppy in places, but such a time machine, for me. Some of the songs from that show posted individually in places on YouTube in better quality (I've shared a few here in other write-ups.)

The version of 'Wild Hope' from that concert is just exquisite.

Robert, ohnostalgia, vague and 5 others like this.
  4. The question of a Signature song is a fascinating one @pop3blow2 !! Something else your wonderful write-ups make me ponder. With Mandy - I would automatically think Candy due to my association with it being her breakthrough though I do love I Wanna Be With You more. It makes me think of territories as well and how it might be different in each country she’d potentially tour in... Candy for us in Australia, IWBWY in the US and is In My Pocket her biggest hit in the UK? I had similar thoughts with the Dalida Rate a while back, much like Mandy - an artist whose music lasts decades would have a different signature for different generations so for all we know that could change in the next decades! (Using the Dalida example - her signature songs during her life would have been Bambino and Gigi L’Amoroso but since her death it is the ‘flop’ b-side that didn’t even chart Mourir Sur Scene that is most linked to her with people who discover her today). So in Mandy’s case maybe her upcoming music will potentially still become a signature run for her as more people discover her music through these :D

What a write-up to go through on a Saturday afternoon, and what a great cross-conversation to have - I Stan you @pop3blow2 !!

Robert, vague, Sprockrooster and 2 others like this.
  5. Yeah, you bring up some very good points. Geography & generations can also add the conversation of what makes one good signature song for an artist.

I think most people would say 'Candy' for Mandy. She even eventually caved to the concept & started singing it some in concert, albeit in new 'rockier' ways. Nostalgia from my generation has probably helped inform that idea, but now that there's a whole generation of people who really don't know that song (or much of her music, period) I wonder if she will feel inclined to still sing it live.

Thank you! That's so nice. The reality, as I'm sure you have picked up on, is that Mandy is my ultimate lense for trying to understand pop music... and even pop culture in general. Her very existence challenged my taste from day one, when I immediately just decided she was a 'Britney hack' & I didn't like her. Of course, things are not always that binary. So, in my typical curious ways, I had to know why I had such a visceral reaction to her. That journey led me to slowly liking her. And then boom, suddenly she was my favorite thing in pop!

That original quandary set up a 20 year fascination, where-in-by, every step she navigated in her career corresponded with me analyzing it in some meta way. I saw a quote one time that explained that sometimes overstimulated kids only focus on one kind of fish in an aquarium, because all the movement is too much. But if they channel their focus into one group it can help be used as jumping off point to help them understand the bigger picture. This became Mandy for me. Through all the shifts & changes of not just her career, but the industry & her life, she has helped me understand things better. Some of this is her age (being relatively close to mine) & a few career choices she's made that made her even more endearing. Whatever the case, she really is uniquely qualified in that way for my experience as a music fan... (at least in what I consider the modern-ish era of pop = 2000 onwards.)

There's a handful of other modern artists whose music I probably like more than Mandy's.
    • Vanessa
    • Carly Rae
    • Kate Nash
    • Nelly Furtado
    • Little Boots
    • Charlotte Church
    • Taylor (most of the time, ddd)
    But, in the end, it has been Mandy that is the ultimate way for me to try and frame my thoughts about pop... and it extends past music & culture at this point into all kinds of other topics about life. There's just always another layer to the onion, too. It's why she was ultimately my pick for #1 in the ultimate pop star rate... she's just continually interesting & her art reveals itself in so many subversive ways.

(Ironically, had I not disliked her first, I'm not sure I would've gone down the road with her in this capacity. Life is funny.)

6. Since Wild Hope is now completely eliminated, I'll put together the wrap up post on that in the day or two, with final scores & final thoughts.

Also, thanks to you all for letting me ramble on about some of this interconnected pop stuff. Occasionally as a huge fan of anything, you stop and ask yourself 'what is about this thing that I love so much?'. That's sort of a hard question to always answer... sometimes even impossible! I imagine sometimes I don't articulate things as well as I could, but it's all well-meaning.

I'll get the Wild Hope wrap-up post done, the elimination for #6, & then it's top 5 time!

Robert, ohnostalgia, vague and 3 others like this.
  7. cd-cover-1.jpg

Wild Hope

Final album scores & wrap-up.

Sparkle In The Sky

@RUNAWAY (9.813)
    @pop3blow2 (9.467)
    @Music Is Life (9.375)
    @ladylloyd (9.333)
    - Added a wonderful note:
    ‘This album is in my top 10 of all time. I love it so much. The lyrics are brilliant and the production was like a continuation of the sounds of Coverage but much more realised. This was the album I knew Mandy would make. Gardenia, especially live is one of the best songs of all time and one of the most heartbreaking and therefore gets my 11."

@Robsolete (9.292)
    @Zar-Unity (9.150)
    @Sprockrooster (9.083)
    @unnameable (8.917)
    @vague (8.583)

Corner Of Your Eye

@Remorque (7.667)
    @ohnostalgia (7.625)
    @LKane (7.208)
    @chris4862 (7.250)
    - (also added a great note!)
    "Indie Mandy is born and what should be a surprise to no one at all, she can add songwriter to her list of talents. While it’s not my favourite work from her, it proved to anyone who was still paying attention that she had what it takes as a musician."

@Robert (7.167)
    @Florencia. (6.771)
    @tylerc904 (6.083)
    @VivaForever (6.00)

Still Undiscovered

@CasuallyCrazed (5.625)

Song Elimination List

Extraordinary (1st of 12 | 7th of 84 overall)
    All Good Things (2nd of 12 | 14th of 84 overall)
    Slummin’ In Paradise (3rd of 12 | 15th of 84 overall)
    Most Of Me (8th of 12 | 32nd of 84 overall)
    Few Days Down (7th of 12 | 24th of 84 overall)
    Can’t You Just Adore Her (12th of 12 | 67th of 84 overall)
    Looking Forward To Looking Back (4th of 12 | 20th of 84 overall)
    Wild Hope (3rd of 12 | 17th of 84 overall)
    Nothing That You Are (9th of 12 | 36th of 84 overall)
    Latest Mistake (11th of 12 | 47th of 84 overall)
    Ladies Choice (10th of 12 | 45th of 84 overall)
    Gardenia (5th of 12 | 21st of 84 overall)

My final thoughts.

Wild Hope
    proved itself worthy of its cult-like praise in the rate. I mean, Mandy legit has two classic cult albums in completely different sonic palettes with Mandy Moore & Wild Hope (Coverage is arguably right in the mix, too... though I do know it does sometimes get forgotten about.)

I do wish that at least one more song from Wild Hope had made the top 10, as while 'Extraordinary' is fantastic, I think one other song needed some better representation to fully highlight the scope of the album.

Personally, I did not expect to be the album's second high scorer. Even as one of the forum's biggest Mandy fans, I fully expected to be the high scorer on Coverage (where I wound up the second highest)... and maybe in the top 5 for Wild Hope. It just proves how amazing that span from 2003 to 2009 was for me. It was pretty magical as a Mandy fan & in some ways Wild Hope was the culmination of that era. Amanda Leigh, while grossly underrated & beautiful did seem to die on the vine pretty quickly... thus killing all momentum she had. (Makes me sick completely knowing why now.) In reality, both Coverage & Wild Hope also had pretty anemic campaigns to what they deserved, but because her artistic transition was so pronounced in that era from 2003 -2007, those two albums just have more weight to me in her discography.

As I stated in the 'Extraordinary' write-up though, Wild Hope is easily in my top 5 most anticipated albums/eras of all time as music fan. Especially in the modern world of pop, where album roll-outs & campaigns are so messy & sometimes you have no idea where you are at as fan in the ramp-up to 'something'. In that way, Wild Hope may never be topped in the exact anticipation as:
    • An album release by a fave artist after a 3+ year wait
    • The follow-up to an album I had already declared a favorite of all-time
    • Said artists first album of writing their own music & completely changing artistic direction in no small way
    You just don't get an era that special all the time as a fan very often. For all that Wild Hope is certainly in my top 25 of all-time fave albums list.

The album's 6th highest scorer (@Zar-Unity) had a lot of thoughts about Wild Hope... rivaling some of my write-up page lengths. Ha! I've attached them here
    My thoughts on Mandy's Wild hope album:

This was definitely one of the most solid and well crafted albums byMandy but it is certainly an album that comes with acquired taste. The more I would play this album though, the more I fell in love with it. I love that
    this was the first album where Mandy got to co-write all of her own songs. Lots of people who have previously denied Mandy as a prominent talent in the music world will surely eat their words with this amazing album. Wild hope was also pretty refreshing to me because her last album, while very well produced and performed was a bit of a mess for a musical transition for her.

Wild hope on the other hand shows a new more mature and grounded Mandy that
    is very focused on expressing her real self like you've never heard her before. This album delivers with several radio friendly fun pop tunes on the alternative pop angle while still being very expressive and personal. Quite an achievement for Mandy! I know that lots of fans probably had a awkward and difficult time trying to get into the new Mandy here, where some fans definitely got turned off by this new more raw side to Mandy that sounded more bitter and serious to some degree. But if you just take the time to listen to this special album you will find that a lot of that old Mandy that used to make super catchy fun songs sung with lots of passion is still here. Just not shining as bright as she used to.

Part of the reason for that is because Mandy was going through some hard times in her life then and she wanted to accurately express that with a new album and show the world a new more mature side of her. I'm really glad that she did and that we, the fans who are pretty much with her through thick and thin got a new album to enjoy with her incredible voice. Make no mistake, Wild hope is a treat of a album, even if it may not always feel like it. I know that you have to be in a certain mood to listen to this album, which is something that Mandy corrected on her next album where we got to hear a more bright and fee spirited Mandy again like from her Coverage album. However, Wild hope is a secret delight full of cleverly woven catchy pop tunes with
    some serious atmosphere driving the album. It may not always be the Mandy album that you first think of hearing in full when that Mandy craving comes your way, but pretty much anytime that you choose to listen to Wild hope, you will be thanking yourself that you did.

There is so much improvement by Mandy here as a songwriter and a singer to appreciate here. I just can't fully get past Mandy's new countryish singing style on Wild hope. I am too used to her more strait forward regular pop singing approach on her earlier pop albums which I think better suited her voice. At this point, I have to say that I miss that Mandy. However, I still appreciate and love the new Mandy here as she matures and becomes more sophisticated as a pop singer. A new Mandy that wants to explore new music styles and ways to express herself as a artist. I am here for her but I'm just not as invested as I was with her earlier music. This feeling of being less invested and interested in her later music has always lingered inside my head but it is now that I must finally admit it to myself.

There is so much to love about Wild hope and where Mandy has come from as a artist though. I guess my final thought leaves me with a bittersweet love for her Wild hope album, much like the album itself portrays for its atmosphere and tone. Wild hope was pretty much the breaking point for Mandy fans where you either stopped liking her new music or new fans that discovered this album would become a new fan but not like her older music too much. Or like me you just continued to enjoy her music but not quite as much as you did for earlier Mandy or the other way around.

I pretty much love all stages of Mandy but I have to say yet again that Mandy used to be much more great as a pop artist to me than she was later on. Don't get me wrong, Mandy definitely improved her pop craft as a artist and certainly matured more which I bet by a lot of fans meant that she was a better artist and made better quality music. I have mixed feelings on this though. On one hand, you have a artist who is expressing herself in a more personal way than before, which is great but the type of music that she is using to do so and the way she sings to express that sounds inferior to me from the way Mandy used to sing with such pure passion under the best dancy beats and ballad arrangements. And without the type of high quality big pop production that let her voice truly shine on a grand scale, Mandy just starts to sound more watered down from her previous self. This is just my opinion so please don't take it to heart. It's just how I've always felt about her later music. We all have our particular favorite stage of Mandy and this is mine. (1999-2003)

But aside from the way I feel overall of Mandy's music at this point, I still love Wild hope and see this as a album that put Mandy back into the spotlight again in a new hindsight. There is certainly lots to love here and just like with Mandy's other albums, I do have several favorites to note here. "Extraordinary", "all good things", "few day's down", "Looking forward to looking back", "Wild hope", "nothing that you are" and "Ladies's choice" are all fantastic songs that I think show a very strong and passionate side to Mandy that yo
    just have to love and adore. I find that these are pretty much all of Mandy's most engaging and catchiest songs on the album. Overall I think that Wild hope has great flow to it and it really does feel like a strong comeback album with a completely new and refreshing sound to it. Later on Mandy would go on to really surprise all of us yet again with another album that is perhaps the brightest and most freeing side of Mandy that we've had the pleasure of hearing yet!

Robert, LKane, Zar-Unity and 7 others like this.
  8. Hi.
    Wonderful write-up as always @pop3blow2 and thanks for sharing @Zar-Unity!

Robert, Zar-Unity, vague and 2 others like this.
  9. I couldn't sleep on Saturday night & woke with a mad case of artistic mania/restless energy. (My brain wouldn't turn off!)

In said bout of insomnia, I started write-up outlines/sketches for the next four elims... so a lot of the top 5 is in various states of creation right now. I'll hopefully get it all sorted in the next couple of days. I can't believe we're into the end, now!

Robert, RUNAWAY, vague and 2 others like this.
  10. [​IMG]

"Senses Working Overtime" | 9.178

Rated 6th out of 84 total songs

Rated 1st out 12 from Coverage

Chart info or stats:

The #27 most scrobbled Mandy song of all-time on Last.fm
    The 4th most scrobbled song from Coverage on Last.fm

Liner Notes

Written by: Andy Partidge
    Produced by: John Fields

Track 1 from Coverage released October 21, 2003

A digital single was released January 14, 2004 & did not chart.

"My own parade…"

"Synesthesia is a perceptual phenomenon in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway. People who report a lifelong history of such experiences are known as synesthetes. Awareness of synesthetic perceptions varies from person to person. In one common form of synesthesia, known as grapheme-color synesthesia or color-graphemic synesthesia, letters or numbers are perceived as inherently colored." -Wikipedia

As this Mandy rate draws to an end, we eliminate the last song from Coverage... my favorite album of all time. So, yeah... I have some thoughts to arrange here.

This album is a complete experience of many things for me & I can't imagine my life without it... at least not my musical life. There are albums or songs that we all love, but those special ones fill a void in your soul.

For this write-up, you’ll just need to close your eyes for second & imagine a version of myself is traveling back to the summer of 1999 with me (some you rate participants were but small children or not even born yet, but just go with me, here!) Having just experienced Mandy Moore’s ‘Candy’ on MTV I declare her the musical equivalent of an aPOPcallypse & write her off immediately.

It is at this moment where the future version of me chimes in:

“You may hate her now, but in 4 years she’s going to record an album of 70’s & 80’s cover songs & you’re gonna love it. Actually, you’re going to declare it your favarite pop album of all-time & make it your desert island album.”

1999 version of me:

That’s actually not possible, but thanks for popping in to try & make my day interesting. ”

Future me:

“No, no.. you will. Oh, and just to really melt your brain, you should know track 1 on that album is gonna be XTC’s ‘Senses Working Overtime. Anyways, see you around!”

There's just no way I would've bought any of that. And then...

"One!
    Two!
    Three!
    Four!
    Five!"

With that enthusiastic proclamation, track one on Coverage was fired up by Mandy, and my spirit perked up like it hadn’t in months in the fall of 2003. The song then breaks down almost immediately into sonically organized chaos. The amplified wonkiness of the dj effects, synthesizers, acoustic guitar all mesh together into sensory overload. There really wasn’t anything that sounded like it in late 2003. The closest thing I can really think of, again, is Nellly Furtado's sound at the time. (She really was sonically groundbreaking in the pop sphere in the early 00’s. I know it's hard to believe based on my over-the-topness at times in this rate, but I was actually more obsessed with Nelly for the early 00's than anyone in music... so you can imagine...ddd)

Future me was right. I was sucked into the world of this album, immediately.

The whole song is really the sonic equivalent of some sort of colorful, magical, animated world. It’s hard to describe, but I’ll go with ’technicolor wall of sound.’

"
    Hey, hey, night fights day
    There's food for the thinkers
    And the innocents can all live slowly
    All live slowly

My, my, the sky will cry
    Jewels for the thirsty
    And the guilty ones can all die slowly
    All die slowly"

Lyrically the song is very much up Mandy’s alley and it’s clear why she was so drawn to it. The song both brims with an upbeat positivity and sense of adventure, but just below the surface there is this tension and cynicism. It's a song about creation & consumption, fear & joy, & more. There are lots of battling ideas in this song... and when coupled with overarching concept & symbolism of Coverage's very being... 'Senses Working Overtime' becomes one of the ambitious creative decisions any pop artist has ever taken on an album.

I’ve spoken at length about Mandy’s duality & sense of bridge building and 'Senses Working Overtime' takes that idea in whole other direction and flips it on its head. For me, Mandy had slowly formed a nexus of the pop culture center for me, but with Coverage, it was solidified... actually with this song she had not only become a millennial pop culture touchtone for me, but a musical touchstone period.

For me, I'm somewhat talking about being an anglophile here, which may make this song unique to my experience with it. As a huge fan of Britpop (both in the 90s sense of the Blur/Oasis brand & going back to the 60's to 80s. Oh, and now of course, too!) Mandy taps into a very specific vibe with this song & this was so unexpectedly exciting to me.

Is there any lens of my music fandom I can’t filter Mandy though? We may never know.

I mean, 'Senses Working Overtime' is a very ‘British’ song by a very 'British' band. I certainly stress the quotations there in a good way. Some British bands tone down their 'Britishness' for a global audience. Not XTC. They reveled in it & celebrated it. This made them very beloved by their home country & also made covering them (especially this song of their biggest & most beloved hits in England) a dicey proposition for anyone... much less a 19 year old American bubblegum princess. No one is supposed to touch XTC songs, much less this song... and she did! I squealed with such delight when I saw that. Mandy Moore was effing going for it. I gave me such life. It still does.

By the time Coverage came out I was very well versed with XTC (having discovered them when I was in high school via other British musical obsessions). As a lover of all things Brit culture, Mandy covering XTC was always going to be a curious choice. That she covered such an overtly quirky British song, was fascinating. I think this just speaks to how jaded she had become at the prospects of where she fit in to in pop. With Coverage she wasn’t just crossing decades, she was crossing oceans. The song is very much about exploring & that's exactly what Mandy was doing. She has no idea what kind of artist she wanted to be & these songs (and the whole Coverage album making experience) was helping her discover that. It really what an artistic mind she was developing.... and it was exciting.

"Hey, hey, the clouds are whey
    There's straw for the donkeys
    And the innocents can all sleep safely
    All sleep safely

My, my, sun is pie
    There's fodder for the cannons
    And the guilty ones can all sleep safely
    All sleep safely"

As far as the song itself, many have analyzed the song is about the general class systems in society and how we try to live within them. Andy Partridge has said quite simply the song is about ‘what it’s like to be alive in England’. He was even inspired to write the song after hearing Manfred Mann’s 1961 song ‘5 4 3 2 1’ which was used for a popular kids show in England. Knowing this makes Mandy’s addition of the ‘12345’ intro even more interesting to me.

While researching stuff for this rate, I gloriously fell back down the XTC rabbit hole (never a bad thing. Mandy's power.) In doing so, I found this amazing article, both about them & in reference to a documentary that was made about them, that I really must check out. So much the article ties into how I feel about Mandy, music, & most certainly Coverage. In regards to my opening reference about Synesthesia, Andy Partridge was gone on record as someone who experiences this. In relation to all the seemingly weird and random connections I make with Mandy (especially in relation to Coverage). I don’t if she has ever mentioned having the experienced the phenomenon directly, but as someone who has studied her music more than normal... I think she might (her exuberant description of ‘The Whole Of The Moon’ as purple on the making of Coverage DVD is interesting in this regard. Mandy does think about music in colors.)

This is from that article about XTC:

Andy Patridge works through metaphor and synesthesia. In XTC: This Is Pop, he walks us through the process in real time. He hasn’t set foot on a concert stage since the year E. T. was released, yet he can still show us how it’s done. He takes us back to when he needed to come up with a verse for “Senses Working Overtime.” The chorus is in E. Searching for something more interesting, he tells us, he threw his hands “on kind of an E-flat place,” but then, without thinking, he wound up with an “an interesting chord-nonchord.” The sound has an eerie dissonance with just a trace of euphony. “This sounds medieval. This is like somebody in a field, tilling,” he says. The song is about being overwhelmed—too much beauty, too much ugliness, too much everything. This was the year of his breakdown. And it was a hit. - The Agony & the XTC

Mandy said she was in love with the song the first time she heard it & thought there was a great 'pop smash' of a single in there (Oh Mandy... your innocent optimism.). The song was actually a decent hit in England upon its original release, so maybe she meant a US single. (Interestingly, an altered sense of how time is perceived is another aspect of Synesthesia, which is another recurring theme in Mandy's art.)

Regardless, she did get her wish to have it released as a single....sort of. In early 2004, Epic did release a digital only version of the song as the second & last single from
    Coverage. Oddly it was the live version of the song form the AOL Session, and not the wonderful technicolor wall of sound from the album. There is a certain should to that version, though, that I like. Still, the album version is superior. Its botched release, showing one & for all that Epic/Sony & Mandy were just not on the the same page. By this time, Epic had washed their hands of Mandy and the release was half hearted at best. She would leave the label not long after.

"And birds might fall from black skies
    And bullies might give you black eyes
    And buses might skid on black ice
    But to me they're very, very beautiful
    Beautiful!"

So yeah, future me was right in my write-up opening. I'll be on a desert island with this album, if you need me. For me, Coverage is still it. It’s the one. Since 2003 only one album has gotten close to dislodging it as my Desert Island Album and it ultimately failed.

Honestly, I could write a whole essay here as to why Coverage is my Desert Island Album, but I can actually condense it down to few key reasons.

• If I’m going to only have one album to listen to, an album of covers from two decades of music I love is great. Musical nerd overload that covers some other basis for me as fan.
    • Couple that with the concept that said album of covers came out in the 00s, one of fave decades as a music fan & incorporates some of the whimsical sonics of the era.
    • Said album is female singer (my general sonic preference always) and said singer is one of my favorite vocalists of all time.
    • This album of covers has my favorite piece of recorded music on it, in her version of ‘The Whole Of The Moon’... so yeah, that helps.
    • Oh, yeah... and she's my favorite pop star, of all time. I can both enjoy her music on surface level & analyze it much deeper.

There’s also these weird intangible things like that make the album uniquely suited to my Desert Island Album

• Like the fact Mandy checks the ‘Disney’ box on my fandom checklist. I mean, it's an album of great songs sung by a Disney princes... whew!
    • There’s the fact that this album came out during a very rough time in my life and thus I credit with helping me cope
    • Oh & there's even some random autobiographical history for me with this album. In my home city there was a world famous record store for a long time named Ear X-tacy. The shop was partially named after the band, who the owner loved. I spent a lot of time & money there for over a decade... including buying my first copy of Coverage there. (and many XTC albums, too.)
    • There’s also the complete rebellious spirit of the album will always appeal to me.

That last point ties in perfectly with this final reveal for Coverage, why I love it so much, and may explain best of all why Mandy chose it to not only be on the album at all... but open it. 'Senses Working Overtime' is a song of rebellion. It’s a song about trying everything. It’s about trying to experience everything... after feeling like you’ve been held back. By covering this song, Mandy wasn't even settling for experiencing only new things in this era, oh no. She wanted it all. She wanted her album to be from other decades, other countries, other colors. Her senses were working overtime. That Mandy ‘bargain bin pop princess’ Moore, in 2003, went off with her own money to garage to record an album of covers from the 70s & 80s will always be the most punk rock thing any artist ever did in my mind. It inspires me so much to this day... and always will.

I'll leave the write-up with another great quote from David Yaffe's XTC article in the Paris Review I quoted above. It is so fitting, in so many ways:

Some music stays with you for life. It means different things at different times, but it is always with you, like a limb or one of those five senses working overtime. But sometimes it will be years since you last heard, say, “1000 Umbrellas.” You’ve lived several lifetimes since then, and, oh, isn’t it magical that some chords can take you back to who you used to be? Except they can’t. Your life is not a straight road. But the veneer of continuity—through other people’s music, through their feelings, their illusions—keeps the jukeboxes playing. You don’t get that experience back, but you get a reminder that it is gone forever. The reconstruction of the past is an addictive drug. We want that feeling again, even if it’s mixed with inconsolable misery.

Mandy Moore completely changed by expectations of pop music with this album and that's saying a lot for someone who was already a pop fan & music nerd. She was the last person I thought would do that a mere 4 years earlier.

More importantly, the album simply brought me boundless joy at the moment I needed it most in my life... and I will be forever grateful to her for that alone.

"Trying to take this all in
    I've got one, two, three, four, five
    Senses working overtime
    Trying to taste the difference 'tween a lemon and a lime
    Pain and pleasure, and the church bells softly chime"

My Score: 10

"Kicking up confetti leaves…"

Sparkle In The Sky

@Music Is Life (11)
    - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,! What an opener! Just with this song, I can tell this will probably be my favorite album just cause of the pop-rock production. I have said like a thousand times I love this style of music, and I will say it again. Love this. I ultimately decided on this for my 11 because, honestly I love everything about it and it's absolutely perfect. It always puts a smile on my face, with it's catchy, chanted, “1, 2, 3, 4, 5 senses working overtime” chorus, and upbeat, and slightly weird pop-rock production. I love this and I really hope it at least makes top 10.

@Sprockrooster (10)
    - What a killer for an album start. Also already showcasing what to expect. Talented production with vocals that sell every beige 80's song.

@unnameable (10)
    - my big sister was an XTC fan, so I’ve loved the song for a long time. Mandy’s version always makes me think of summer.

@RUNAWAY (10)
    - this choice of cover was so out of left-field but ultimately, freaking INCREDIBLE. The song fits with her voice perfectly, and it’s utterly perfect.

@tylerc904 (10), @Robsolete (10), @Remorque (10)

@Zar-Unity (10)
    - A cover of a XTC song that I've never knew about before I heard Mandy's outstanding cover of it! This song is so amazing! The production value of this album is very much improved from her last album. What a great opener to her Coverage album! I jam to this one all the time as it's got so many great changes and after I heard the original I was even more impressed with her cover here. Mandy's vocals just sound incredible on this song and she certainly owns it! This is a fine example of the later Mandy doing a fun quirky pop tune in the right way. Absolutely fantastic cover and I think an easy 10.

@VivaForever (9)
    - Bop!

@chris4862 (9), @Florencia. (9), @CasuallyCrazed (9)

@vague (8.5)
    - the big step up in her vocal ability between each album is so refreshing.

@Robert (8)

Corner of your eye
    @LKane (7.7)
    - This album in general is so good. This is a great way to start and have fun.

@ohnostalgia (7)
    - The XTC version is already quite peppy, so Mandy doesn’t really transform Senses Working Overtime (something I’m always looking for in an interesting cover). There are some neat production ticks- mostly the bells - but not enough to wow me.

@ladylloyd (7)

Still Undiscovered

None!

[​IMG]

For Your Viewing & Listening Pleasure

AOL Sessions Version

Live on the Late Late Show

The original XTC classic

Some more of my XTC faves in the post below!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Robert, vague, Zar-Unity and 7 others like this.
  11. ... will be adding some fave XTC songs here. (Because...)

My favorite XTC album is Skylarking (produced my Mandy Coverage-connection, Todd Rundgren). It's actually one of the few albums that sonically remind me a bit of Coverage, which has always made me wonder if Mandy & John Fields drew inspiration from it for the album.

One particular moment was always very 'Coverage' to me. The way 'Ballet For A Rainy Day' runs into '1000 Umbrellas' reminds me very much the 'Senses Working Overtime' runs into 'The Whole Of The Moon'

Anyways, those are two of my fave XTC songs

Of course, there was their amazingly stark & surprise hit 'Dear God' which has so many levels & still gets me to this day

Another fave from Skylarking, 'Earn Enough Us'

'The Ballad Of Peter Pumpkinhead'

'Mayor Of Simpleton'

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    vague, Zar-Unity, berserkboi and 2 others like this.
  12. I'm so so happy Senses Working Overtime made top 10, and nearly top 5! Thanks everyone for having taste! Wonderfully beautiful write-up @pop3blow2!

13. Wild Slayage And Coverage both done wrong in this rate. I am sad.

vague, Robsolete, berserkboi and 2 others like this.
  14. I'm pretty happy Coverage got two songs in the top 10. Wild Hope, though, certainly was a bit slighted here towards the end.

When the rate is over I'll post what my ideal top 10 would've been (not my necessarily my personal top 10, mind you, just what I consider the best representation of her work & career).

15. For me as a Mandy stan I view them both as her best works. Seeing them both shut out from the top 5 feels a bit unbalanced. I definitely would have approved a winner from her first two albums or Only Hope, but the dominance of the debut is wrong in my opinion.

16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

@pop3blow2 Patrick Stump from Fall Out Boy has Synesthesia. Every album of theirs is either a Blue or Red album, except the last one which was purple. #earlyratepromo

17. cd-cover-2.jpg

Coverage

Final album(category) scores & wrap-up.

Sparkle In The Sky

@Music Is Life (9.708)
    @pop3blow2 (9.608)
    @Zar-Unity (9.092)
    - included a lot of thoughts & notes on Coverage:

My thoughts on Mandy's Coverage album:

2003 was certainly a great year for Mandy in the musical world. Well, at least to me it was because Mandy actually came out with a fantastic pop album that was radically different from her last album, which was very much needed, as her second album started to feel mostly like teen pop songs written by another artist that is not as interesting as Mandy is. Very unexpected by Mandy to come out with a album next full of older hit pop songs. The album is a major transition from her previous music, which definitely turned away a lot of herfans, but Mandy certainly also gained a lot of new fans that could better appreciate her music now. Coverage to me feels like an album that mostly works for her, and works very well. Her singing is nothing but sincere throughout every song, except for maybe "one way or another".

I love how modern and catchy her third album sounds, despite it being full of covers of older songs from the 70's and onward. The production value to this album verses Mandy's last album is just staggering! I may not be able to connect with every song on Coverage but I find myself connecting well enough with a majority of the album. I think that Mandy outdid herself on this album and made me fall in love with her voice and music even more. I don't hear Coverage as often as I do her other albums because you do have to be in a certain mood to listen to this album. With that said, this is quite a wonderful pop album that once again stands out as a pop album alone from all others around this time period, especially as a covers album!

Sure, it could have been even better with a few different song choices but these are the songs that Mandy hand picked as her favorites to cover so you have to accept and respect that. There is certainly lots of fond memories for her and lots of history between everyone of these songs I imagine. I feel like this may be the best album for consistent album flow since her So real album. Although her self-titled did nearly match that flow in good replay value. Coverage may show a bit less consistent flow though for me personally because a few of these songs I find somewhat of putting. I still love this album and I think it is one of Mandy's best albums for sure.

Our host picked a great choice for his favorite Mandy album! My favorite songs from Coverage would have to be "Senses working overtime", "Can we still be friends", "Breaking us in two", "Help me", "drop the pilot" and "the whole of the moon". I think those are my top favorites. I discovered this album by Mandy way later after I was set up with my last fm profile and if I can remember I was probably somewhat surprised and disappointed at first with how different Coverage sounds compared to Mandy's previous music. However, I later came to quickly appreciate her third album so much that it became one of my go-to Mandy albums to jam to while playing video games and doing other stuff. I never really quite got ove how different Mandy sounded here to how she sounded on her musical beginnings, which I still think was her strongest output. Mandy does sound just as powerful vocally on Coverage as she did on So real but I still feel like I prefer the R&B So real Mandy to the more matured Mandy singing old tunes all of a sudden which is kind of bizarre. Just my personal preference. I'm definitely not saying that Coverage isn't as good of a album as So real was. In fact, Coverage is technically more sophisticated and has a bigger production sound to it than So real had, which sounds more dated.

Apparently the rest of the world probably felt the same way for the most part because I remember hearing that Coverage didn't do as commercially well as her debut album did. Mandy certainly alienated many fans with her Coverage album, even me too at first, but perhaps Mandy even further alienated fans including me when she wanted to offer refunds for anyone who bought her So real album. I had to roll my eyes at that one, although it was understandable if you listened to early Mandy haters and see how far Mandy has come from her early musical beginnings. She has radically changed her musical style so many times that you'd almost think that she is a different artist from album to album. Anyway, I love Coverage Mandy but if I'm being honest to myself, I like earlier and later Mandy after Coverage even more, because she sounded more grounded and focused for the type of music that she wanted to do. Coverage is like a wild parade of different types of songs that mostly clash together well and are mostly fitting for Mandy's amazing voice but it is still a bit of a mess for a artistic transition.

Mandy's next album would prove to be a much less bumpy ride with a more serious and focused set of well produced personal tunes co-writen by Mandy herself that would start to showcase just how well developed and important Mandy would become as a artist herself later on.

@unnameable (8.958)
    @RUNAWAY (8.875)
    @Florencia. (8.521)
    @vague (8.417)
    @Robsolete (8.333)
    @chris4862 (8.250)
    - included some Coverage thoughts-
    "This is where it all finally came together for Mandy, in my opinion. It may not have made much of an impact on the general public, but this album was a revelation for me. When all the other pop girls where striving for musical maturity, Mandy took an entirely unique approach to the challenge and offered something that felt almost beyond her years in its grace and sophistication. Despite consisting entirely of cover songs, it was such careful curation of music that felt like a diary detailing a musical journey infinitely more personal and heartfelt than any of her previous music. It remains one of my all time favourite albums."

Corner Of Your Eye

@VivaForever (7.625)
    @ohnostalgia (7.583)
    @LKane (7.358)
    @Sprockrooster (7.167)
    @tylerc904 (7.083)
    @ladylloyd (7.083)
    - Included some Coverage thoughts:
    "So of course we got a covers album! ha. I played this a lot however, I do feel the production often lets it down, the quieter moments fare the best I think, Moonshadow is a highlight. I feel I’m half judging here based on the quality of the song, although One Way is a favourite song of mine but here the production is so weak its almost criminal. Have a Little Faith In Me is one of my favourite things she’s ever done however. Gorgeous vocals and warm production…if she’d of written it it might have got my 11"

@Remorque (6.958)
    @CasuallyCrazed (6.521)

Still Undiscovered

@Robert (5.333)

Song Elimination List

Senses Working Overtime (1st of 12 | 6th of 84 overall)
    The Whole Of The Moon (2nd of 12 | 9th of 84 overall)
    Can We Still Be Friends (5th of 12 | 18th of 84 overall)
    I Feel The Earth Move (7th of 12 | 28th of 84 overall)
    Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters (6th of 12 | 27th of 84 overall)
    Drop The Pilot (4th of 12 | 16th of 84 overall)
    Moonshadow (8th of 12 | 39th of 84 overall)
    One Way or Another (9th of 12 | 54th of 84 overall)
    Breaking Us in Two (10th of 12 | 58th of 84 overall)
    Anticipation (11th of 12 | 62nd of 84 overall)
    Help Me (12th of 12 | 73rd of 84 overall)
    Have a Little Faith In Me (3rd of 12 | 13th of 84 overall)

My final thought.

I mean, I've covered it well enough in the individual song reveals & special posts! Coverage is my fave album of all time & part of a special 00's Holy Trinity of albums ( along with Vanessa's Harmonium & Nelly's Folklore) you might get a book or YouTube documentary from me one day on.

Oh & I never thought anyone would outscore me on my Desert Island Album... and then I met @Music Is Life! So glad they loved it that much & gave a track their 11. #iconic

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  18. Dddd it's an amazing album I couldn't help it. Thanks for leading me to discover it and I totally understand why it's your Desert Island Album.

And as always, great reading your thoughts @Zar-Unity!

19. Wow, @Music Is Life outscored @pop3blow2 on Coverage! Didn't see that coming!
    This just goes to show one of the main reasons why our wonderful host put
    so much love and effort into this rate, so others can "discover" or re-discover
    amazing music and albums by one of the best pop artists of all time. For my
    main new discovery, I cannot stress enough how amazing Mandy's new
    musical style is and how happy I am to have her returning back to music. She
    was so badly missed. I feel like this rate couldn't have come at a better time!

Thanks music is life for your kind words! Really glad that you enjoyed
    reading my thoughts on Mandy! I'll never forget when I first discovered
    her back in 1999 on her debut album and how she changed my musical
    world forever. Her incredible voice does wonders!

20. Anytime! I always love reading other people's thoughts on their favorite music, which is why I love the forum, and I love how enthusiastic you are about Mandy. And I'm definitely never going to forget this rate!

vague, Zar-Unity and berserkboi like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.