Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!) | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum

Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by pop3blow2, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What's your favorite Mandy Moore album

1. So Real

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I Wanne Be With You

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Mandy Moore

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  4. Coverage

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Wild Hope

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  6. Amanda Leigh

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Other (soundtrack, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Oh man you guys couldn't have waited one more year to do this?
    Oh my God. That just shows how short my memory is.
    I also just found out she voices Nita in Brother Bear 2, and wig.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  2. Her picking Ryan Phillippe as her ideal midnight kiss - TASTE.

Remorque, berserkboi and vague like this.
  3. I have 16 days off and not much planned during it, so I expect I should be able to complete this during that time. Keep tagging though until you do receive my ballot.

Remorque and pop3blow2 like this.
  4. [​IMG]

is Mandy natural blonde or brunette?

Remorque and pop3blow2 like this.
  5. [​IMG]

"3 A.M.
    You're on my mind once again
    I must have been dreaming
    Thought I felt your heartbeat just then"

The Mandy Moore Annual: 2000

Things really started to take off for Mandy in early 2000, though that doesn't mean there were not any hiccups.

After three months on the show, 'Candy' finally made it’s last appearance on MTV's Total Request Live on March 7th. The success of this video can not be understated in how it catapulted Mandy’s career & cemented her as an icon to a generation. I mean, it was on TRL every day for over there months. That was an insane amount of exposure for Mandy & her debut album So Real.

However, the follow up singe/video 'Walk Me Home', never really got any traction at all, though. It did get some extra exposure & pop culture points via Lizzie McGuire, a generational touchstone in its own right. (Lizzie got her first kiss with the song playing in the background.) Video of the episode is here. The time stamp for that scene is about 13 minutes in, but you know you want to watch the whole episode! A third single/video from her debut, for the song 'So Real', was released in early March some international markets to minor success.

It was at this point that Epic did one of the weirdest things I’ve ever seen as a pop fan. They completely stopped promo for the album So Real a mere three months after the album had been released. I don't think this was ever fully explained, but it's fair to summarize that they had pumped a huge amount into the launch of So Real... and that after two flop singles they were 'concerned' enough to call an audible.

So, instead they shifted their entire marketing focus on a new ballad, 'I Wanna Be With You', that was going to be featured in the May 2000 film Center Stage. Released in April, 'I Wanna Be With You' would eventually become Mandy’s biggest ever chart hit in the US…. taking over 4 months to eventually peak at #24.

As it garnered traction, a whole new ‘album’ appeared featuring 'I Wanna Be With You', 4 other new songs, & songs from So Real in various forms. The album was basically just a weird repackaging & pseudo-reboot of an artist who was practically just getting started. In general, I guess the goal of the repackaging was twofold. It was an attempt to make her seem like a more mature artist (with a daresay 'more AC friendly' sound in places) & perhaps distinguish her from the contemporaries she was being endlessly compared too. Whatever the reasons, the timing so quickly after So Real's release was jarring.

To make matters even a bit more confusing, Epic oddly decided to release the already failed 'Walk Me Home' as the follow-up single to the super successful 'I Wanna Be You' later in the in 2000. As a pop nerd, somewhat obsessed with marketing & such at the time, it was a bit of a mess to watch, especially considering how strategic everything had seemed up to this point. (I was just trying to get into Mandy at the time, so perhaps all this bugged me more than some. I doubt the average fan really cared much or noticed though.)

Regardless of weird label decisions, the album I Wanna Be With You, actually did fairly well & the video for song of the same title became another hit on MTV’s Total Request Live. In fact, Mandy was becoming a regular fixture on MTV in 2000. She was featured in MTV’s ‘Snowed In’ in early 2000 (basically MTV’s Ski Themed Winter Set), where she had her own little show: Mandy Moore Mountain. In the spring, she performed at MTV’s Spring Break, becoming somewhat of a ‘special correspondent’ for that event, as well. She was tapped again, to do the same at MTV’s summer themed Beach House.

It was obvious why MTV loved her so much. She had personality in droves, was very likable, & was a natural on screen presence. She was the perfect poster child of early 00's popular culture. It was around this time I remember thinking, ‘Crap, she’d almost be a better MTV personality, than pop star. I like her more like this!’ (This wasn’t necessarily a correct opinion, but basically my ‘gateway rationalization’ into liking her at all, haha!)

MTV execs realized all of this & parlayed her talents into the recurring feature The Mandy Show. This was a program that ran sporadically from 2000-2001 that featured Mandy talking with teens about issues of the day & sometimes featured musical guests (the clip below from 2001, I think, features 3LW & is the only clip I find of the show anywhere!). I caught some episodes of this show & started to become quite enamored with her. She was, and here comes a painful pun, just so real. Hell, she even had a cameo in Good Charlotte’s video for the song 'Little Things' during the summer, further solidifying her as something of an early 00's MTV queen. The Devil worked hard, but Mandy worked harder.

Mandy was in full pop star mode by this point, besides appearing regularly on MTV shows like 'House of Style' & more; she also started making the TV talk show circuit & awards shows circuit (In which she won her first awards at the Nickelodeon Kid’s Choice Awards). She also started to have to deal with the general celebrity gossip & paparazzi that comes with being a pop star: as she started her first high profile romance with That 70’s Star Show, Wilmer Valderrama.

Mandy also started to do some mini tours & promo overseas in Europe, Asia, & other places. The regional followings she would establish in this era would really make a her bit a geographical musical superstar in certain corners of the globe, on even a different scale than she would remain in even the US in coming years. To get an idea of how busy her schedule was in early 2000, check out this super random Anglefire fansite I discovered that is still hosted. They have a copy of her promo & tour schedule (which I screenshotted for posterity. Who knows how long that site can stay up!) She also had her first major mini US Tour, where she was the headliner.

One facet of Mandy I have always found fascinating was the amount of magazine covers she appeared on in the 00’s. Mandy’s image was used to sell a lot of glossies. It started in 1999 with the basic ’Teen Beat’ sorta fare, but by 2000 she was starting to graduate to more mature publications. And, why not. She was the perfect fashion plate & style maven of the time, in many ways. In fact, in 2000 she got her first major spokesperson gig, as the Neutrogena girl. By the end of the year, I’ll admit to smiling every time she started to popup on my tv to peddle me shampoo (which I unashamedly bought. Smells like teen spirit, indeed. I'm such a sucker.) When she would pop on the tv I would say, 'Yay! It's Mandy Moore!'... leading my best friend to finally inquire: ‘Didn’t you hate this girl last year.” I would just mutter, ‘I’m complicated.’ & go back to marveling over her perfect hair.

Mandy apparently appeared in a movie this year named Magic Al and the Mind Factory, but I have never been able to find out much about it. It's like a vapor role! Her invisible movie career wouldn’t last for long… as 2001 would start to bring a new dimension to the girl I once endearingly referred to as 'Miss Neutrogena 2000'.

MTV Snowed In (early 2000)

Late Late Show Interview (August 2000)

3LW Performance on the ‘The Mandy Show’ (this is the only clip I can find anywhere!)

2000 Teen Choice Awards press junket (August 2000)

Neutrogena Commercial (October 2000)

PS: While I was researching this Mandy Annual, I found a cool video of a soundcheck from 1999. So, I'll add the YouTube embed to that write-up.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  6. A Mandy Moore rate? I definitely want to participate!!
    I don't think I have listened to all of her songs, but I do love her and some of her songs are favorites of mine (Have a Little Faith In Me, I Could Break Your Heart...., the soundtrack of A Walk to Remember)... So this rate will be a good reason for me to listen to all the rest.

@pop3blow2 would you mind tagging me if I forget to submit my scores? (It has already happened in the past!! I want to participate and then I end up forgetting)

7. I’m loving these annuals @pop3blow2 some if the things I wasn’t completely aware of or couldn’t watch being a U.K. fan, so it’s nice to hear how she was doing in her home country.

I wonder where most people are from who are completing these rate? I feel like most people in the U.K. wouldn’t know who Mandy is as she only really had 1.5 hits here. Obviously the PJ crew know a lot better, so it’s nice to see fellow fans here.

Zar-Unity, vague, Florencia. and 2 others like this.
  8. Her natural hair color is more of a 'strawberry blonde'. It seemed to get darker as she got older. It was a bit more 'sun kissed' & in the earlier part of her career. Not sure how much of this was natural or dyed at that point... though looking at some pictures around 1999 it does appear maybe she was dying it blonde a bit.
    She dyed it brown for A Walk To Remember. It was actually a pretty big distinguishing moment in many ways in her a career arc. Don't be surprised if her hair comes a lot in some more on my Mandy Annuals posts. While it may seem shallow on the surface, a lot of her hair choices were important part of her self expression & symbolic to me in some ways.

Woohoo! So glad to have you. I'll be doing some tagging over the next couple of weeks, but I'll be sure to add you my likely voters list. April 22 is the deadline, so you have a lot of time to listen the stuff by her you may not know. Lots of gems in there.

I'm the US. I think (hope) this will be a pretty diverse rate, from a geographic standpoint... which makes it even more fun. To be honest, Mandy barely has 1.5 'proper hits' in the US, too, haha! Her musical career has always been fascinating to me, since she was considered a pretty big pop star in the early 00's, but really had very little actual chart success or great sales. I'll go into this more, but it's even more fascinating how most of her most successful music, is actually tied to movies & such... and even some of what are considered 'pop hits' where actually just MTV video hits. While she's truly a unique millennial multimedia icon, her music/voice is such a special part of the whole package despite perceived 'success' in that arena.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    LKane, ohnostalgia, Zar-Unity and 6 others like this.
  9. Holy crap is that some clunky editing.
    Laughed out loud because this sounds exactly like something I would do.
    Wait, this is also me. Relatable queen!

berserkboi and pop3blow2 like this.
  10. Yeah, I adore Lizzie, but I rewatched a bunch of episodes a couple years ago & there was some suspect editing & production in places. It was a such a cute show it never really mattered much, I suppose.

Music Is Death likes this.
  11. It has always been about Mandy's voice above all else. She truly has the voice of a angel
    and it is clear that she was made for pop. In fact, I think that Mandy is more talented
    at singing than she is acting. Others may disagree and that's fine. Just how I feel and have
    always felt. (the same goes for Billie Piper)

These yearly write ups are amazing @pop3blow2 ! You are already doing
    Mandy some good justice, pop justice! I love that you call yourself a "pop nerd".
    I can relate. I had no idea that Mandy used to date a actor from That 70's show!

Anyway, I wish that Mandy put more of her time and effort into music. Her voice
    is so incredible and so enjoyable to listen to. Pretty much everything she sings, she
    makes truly special and her own.

I mean who knew that Mandy could go and do older song hit covers
    on her amazing "Coverage" album in 2003 and add her own special
    touch to them while still keeping the authentic musical style. My favorite has always been her very engaging and powerful cover of "Help me".

This was just the type of radical transition that Mandy needed after her
    not so suitable self-titled album, which featured some great ballads and
    a few really special quirky pop numbers like yo-yo and turn the clock around.
    However, it was clear after her second album that Mandy was starting to pull
    away from where she first started for properly showcasing her incredible vocal
    ability and charming artist persona, which she regained in strides with her third
    album "Coverage".

12. [​IMG]

@DJHazey
    @Music Is Life
    @ohnostalgia
    @vague
    @Sprockrooster

Mandy says, 'Hi!... Four weeks left to vote!' I know that's a bit aways, but just wanted to drop a reminder out there. I’ll likely do reminders at two weeks & one week left, too. I’d love to get 20 voters for Mandy's discography.

I also added some ‘blank spots’ to the PM friendly song list, for you to add in your fave Mandy movies/tv roles... to make that sub-ballot easier if you want to participate.

Hope everyone is enjoying the 'Mandy Annual' posts. I’ll try to get out one or two per week until the elims start… eventually I should have all 20 years covered, though, by the end of the rate. If you have no idea what I’m on about, here are links to the ones I’ve done so far

ohnostalgia, Zar-Unity, vague and 3 others like this.
  13. [​IMG]

@Robert
    @VivaForever
    @chris4862
    @Yeahyeahyeah
    @LKane

Mandy says, 'Hi!... Four weeks left to vote! I know that's a bit aways, but just wanted to drop a reminder out there. I’ll likely do reminders at two weeks & one week left, too. I’d love to get 20 voters for Mandy's discography.

I also added some ‘blank spots’ to the PM friendly song list, for you to add in your fave Mandy movies/tv roles... to make that sub-ballot easier if you want to participate.

Hope everyone is enjoying the 'Mandy Annual' posts. I’ll try to get out one or two per week until the elims start… eventually I should have all 20 years covered, though, by the end of the rate. If you have no idea what I’m on about, here are links to the ones I’ve done so far

vague, LKane, chris4862 and 2 others like this.
  14. [​IMG]

@tylerc904
    @Remorque
    @Zar-Unity
    @CasuallyCrazed
    @Mirwais Ahmadzaï

Mandy says, 'Hi!... Four weeks left to vote!' I know that's a bit aways, but just wanted to drop a reminder out there. I’ll likely do reminders at two weeks & one week left, too. I’d love to get 20 voters for Mandy's discography.

Zar-Unity, vague and Sprockrooster like this.
  15. [​IMG]

@unnameable
    @Florencia.
    @Robsolete
    @Blayke
    @RUNAWAY

Robsolete, vague and Florencia. like this.
  16. [​IMG]

@soratami (You get your own solo tag! Haha!)

vague, Sprockrooster and soratami like this.
  17. Viva says, 'Hi! I'll definitely be voting!' I've almost finished self-titled so should be able to knock that and Coverage out today, possibly Wild Hope as well.

I have to agree that her voice was at its peak on the first two albums, pedestrian as they are. I think because she was singing in her higher register, which she's rarely done since then except as Rapunzel. It has a real clarity that isn't present in her lower register.

Zar-Unity, vague and pop3blow2 like this.
  18. I am listening to Wild Hope for the first time at work and it is really, really beige. I am trying to keep an open mind but as someone who loves the pop-era and Coverage, and the only song from Amanda Leigh (I Could Break etc) I've heard - I did not expect to be this underwhelmed!

*Cue posts about voters inflating their Wild Hope scores*

Robert, VivaForever and pop3blow2 like this.
  19. Based on what I've read here & other threads on the forums... this results in this rate are gonna be pretty split on many albums & even perhaps among her 'eras' ( 'split in two, I'm a split chick'). As a Mandy fan & iconoclastic person in general ... that's exactly what I love about her!

The two albums tied in the poll right now, couldn't be more different.

To steal a GIF from a recent @ohnostalgia monthly PJ chart theme:

[​IMG]

ohnostalgia, Zar-Unity, vague and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.