Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!) | Page 9 | The Popjustice Forum

Mandy Moore Discography Rate - Complete! (Stream 'Silver Landings' on March 6th!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by pop3blow2, Mar 18, 2019.

?

What's your favorite Mandy Moore album

1. So Real

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I Wanne Be With You

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Mandy Moore

19 vote(s)
    38.0%
  4. Coverage

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Wild Hope

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  6. Amanda Leigh

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Other (soundtrack, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. What lovely colleagues you had! Thanks for sharing this.

It’s really nice when music or a musician can remind someone of us. Some of my friends have said they think of me when they hear Dua Lipa.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  2. Self Titled took the lead in the album poll & is the first one to 10 votes.

[​IMG]

I didn't think I'd be able to predict much right in this rate, but I did think that album would win the poll. We'll see if I turn out to be right.

3. I love you and I love that post @pop3blow2.

To this day I remember seeing the literally iconic Vanity Fair cover in my piano teacher's waiting room. I was a huge Hilary stan who passively liked Mandy and Amanda Bynes (petition to refer to them collectively as The Amandas) but didn't have time to read it because, you know, piano lesson. Also because I could tell my mom disapproved.

And yes, I was the one who changed my Coverage vote... Wild Hope was beating self-titled and that just wouldn't do at all!

vague and pop3blow2 like this.
  4. Thanks so much @VivaForever ... that's so very kind of you! Glad I randomly held onto those magazines for so long. Who knew I'd be making a GIF out of them for a rate one day? I love how random life is sometimes.

Poor Coverage, it's trying. I thought the poll would come down between Wild Hope & self titled... and now battle lines are clearly being drawn & sacrifices are being made!

vague, Music Is Death and VivaForever like this.
  5. [​IMG]

“I’ll always remember
    It was late afternoon
    It lasted forever
    And ended so soon"

The Mandy Moore Annual : 2002

If there was any doubt to Mandy’s icon status, it ended in January of 2002. The arrival of A Walk To Remember ushered in Mandy as movie star. Though it was expected to be a moderate hit, it exceeded expectations at the box office. Its appeal crossed boundaries; as fans of the book, fans of Mandy, & Valentine’s Day all converged for a brief minute. Critically, is was generally panned, but most reviewers noted Mandy’s performance as a highlight.

The movie also quietly ushered in one of the bigger soundtracks of the era. Mandy, of course, was the main feature of the soundtrack, but she was balanced out by some interesting choices (both rock & pop) that made the soundtrack a very solid collection of songs. It eventually sold over a million copies. The spiritual elements of A Walk To Remember, mixed with the the inclusion of artists such as Switchfoot & Rachel Lampa on the soundtrack even brought an interesting ‘inspirational’ fandom to the era. I always found that sorta fascinating in some pop culture contexts & will likely have some thoughts about that in the future. The soundtrack was huge hit & left an undeniable impact on many, as witnessed in this write-up Cosmo did revisiting the soundtrack.

Spring also brought what is one of my favorite Mandy one-off features all-time, when she appeared as the lead actress in the music video for Elton John’s song ‘Original Sin’. She played the daughter of Elton & none other than Elizabeth Taylor in the fairly stunning video, which chronicles a ‘Cinderellla’-esque transition of a gawky girl into a hip groupie. (Here's a fun article from where she announced the project in early 2002!) I remember reading somewhere back in the day that Mandy was shortlisted for the role by director David Lachapelle & Elton himself basically championed her because he had seen her on MTV & liked her. I have no idea if that is true, but I know Elton was sorta hip to the MTV scene & staying up on ‘new music’ at the time, so I like the mythology of that. I do know that they remained somewhat friendly after the video & the whole experience had a huge impact on Mandy. The video makes me smile to this day & Mandy too, probably.

In spring of 2002 she also took another acting role, in the film All I Want (internationally released as Try Seventeen). Starring Elijah Wood, Franka Portente, & Debbie Harry, the movie would see all sorts of weird release hang-ups. While it would premiere at the Toronto Film Festival in September of 2002, it would only make the Film Festilal circuit in North America the next year & only see limited wide release in a few countries worldwide. Eventually it would be fairy unceremoniously released on DVD in 2003.

While there was no new albums from Mandy in 2002, it truly was a year of soundtrack songs for her. Not only was there the ongoing prominence of the A Walk To Remember soundtrack, but two songs were added to her discography over the Summer. 'Top Of The World' was featured in Stuart Little 2 & 'Singing To The Song of Life' was featured in Disney’s DVD sequel to Tarzan, named Tarzan & Jane. Starting with The Princess Diaries the year before, Mandy Moore was truly beginning to become a bit of a low-key Disney icon. She also won a couple of awards at the MTV Movie awards in June, including Best Breakout Performance for A Walk To Remember. (Sporting short brunette hair. My personal fave Mandy-look of all-time.) It was here, in the red carpet that she dropped the new she had started on her next album. It would be an album of 70’s & 80’s songs called Coverage. I. was. perched.

She also took time to traveled to Singapore for the MTV Asia Awards, where she both hosted & performed. Mandy Moore? Asia? Why? Well, she was already trending huge there before A Walk To Remember but she was becoming massive there after its launch. The single ‘Cry’ went to the top 5 in many Asian regions & the movie was a breakout hit there. I love stuff like this… when an artist gets a massive random regional following in some other country! (It’s just one of my things.)

As the year wound down, Mandy’s speaking voice also found work again, this time for the first time in a video game, as she voiced the character Aerith Gainsborough in the classic game Kingdom Hearts. She was hard at work recording her next album & getting movie roles offered left & right. She was riding high & the sky was surely limit…. right?

A Walk To Remember Trailer (January 2002 - I can’t promise I’m not crying watching this right now. )

Mandy Moore (Behind the scenes on A Walk To Remember)

Late Late Show (January 2002)

Elton John's 'Original Sin' Music Video (Spring 2002)

Kingdom Hearts (Fall 2002)

Mandy Magazine Mentions: From my archives!

Twist Magazine (Cover April 2002)

[​IMG]

“You know what I do to psych myself up for a big event? I stay in my pajamas until the very last minute! I do my own hair and makeup and stuff when I’m on the road, but I give my myself an hour max. That’s it. Sure, you feel beautiful and put together when you’re all done up, but’s that’s how your going to be all night! Chill in your comfy clothes and watch tv, and relax until it’s time to get ready.” - Mandy Moore #relatablequeen

This Twist article was published after Mandy had broken up with Wilmer Valderrama. She was asked about break-up advice in one section. This part made me chuckle & was right on brand.

Got the break-up blues? Mandy comes to the rescue.

Get new hair.

Notice anything different about Mandy? Yep-she’s a smoking hot brunette these days & says she feels better since making the switcheroo. “ I was just like, ‘you know what, I need a change. I don’t know what it is, but maybe a new hair color will make me feel better.’ As superficial as coloring your hair is, it really does make you feel like a different person. It gave me confidence”.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    ohnostalgia, vague, RUNAWAY and 8 others like this.
  6. I remember reading about her hair change in some silly "educational" kids' "magazine" I got from school, I think Time for Kids. I remember it opening with the line "Who says blondes have more fun? Not Mandy Moore!"

ohnostalgia likes this.
  7. While I'm here lemme just respond in more length to the magazine post:
    This is the sweetest goddamn thing. One of my new co-workers bought me a little rabbit plushie the other day after I mentioned that I wanted a rabbit, which almost made me cry. My depression seems to come in cycles, and totally unbeknownst to her I was in the midst of one. It meant (means) the world to me that someone was willing to do that for me when I've only been here for a month and a half. Point being, I love co-workers getting co-workers gifts to cheer them up. It's so wholesome. And I totally relate to your experience with the depression.
    I'm 95% sure I know what chain this is, and now that I think about it, I think I actually got my copy of Coverage at one of their locations! I feel like I got a Corrs CD there too... Forgiven, Not Forgotten maybe. I know I got a few things, anyway.
    Yesssssss I fucking love when this happens.
    Yas!! I have a Persona 5 charm on my purse for much the same reason (and had a Love Live! charm until last week when I lost it on the train and I am heartbroken as it's not being made anymore and it was the absolute greatest charm in the world). Fandom has always been an enormous part of my life, whether it's music or typical fandom (TV/books/games) and thus of my identity. I'm on the autism spectrum, which has a lot to do with it... It's always quite difficult to not be able to talk about my fixation of the moment, honestly.
    I'm glad I can be here. This was a really sweet post to read and I'm glad you wrote it. xo

ohnostalgia, vague, RUNAWAY and 3 others like this.
  8. Haha, that's great! Yeah, some re-reading some of the articles in these old magazines has been a certain amount of fun in itself. The ads, too. (Oh, the ads...)

vague and VivaForever like this.
  9. [​IMG]

Just a friendly three week reminder about the Marvelous Mandy Moore Discography Rate. Scores due April 22. If I'm tagging you, you liked, commented, or expressed some sort of interest in participating...

@DJHazey , @Music Is Life , @ohnostalgia , @vague , @Robert

10. [​IMG]

Just a friendly three week reminder about the Marvelous Mandy Moore Discography Rate. Scores due April 22. If I'm tagging you, you liked, commented, or expressed some sort of interest in participating...

@chris4862 , @Yeahyeahyeah , @LKane , @tylerc904 , @Remorque

vague and LKane like this.
  11. Florencia., Zar-Unity and vague like this.
  12. It's coming. don't worry. (May be last minute though.)

vague, Florencia. and pop3blow2 like this.
  13. [​IMG]

@savilizabeths , @soratami , @ladylloyd , @RUNAWAY , @Lila

vague and soratami like this.
  14. Yay, sounds great! I'm not nagging, I promise. I know everyone has a lot going & on... and just want to make sure Mandy gets at least 20 voters

vague and Music Is Death like this.
  15. I definitely don't think you're nagging, I t'm pretty sure weekly tagging is standard for rates. I just wanted to make sure you knew you're definitely getting my votes. Coverage needs as many high scores as possible.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  16. Lila

Lila Staff Member

I did give some of Coverage a listen but it wasn’t really my thing so I don’t think I’ll be voting, sorry. I’ve just been lurking because I’ve really enjoyed your write-ups!

pop3blow2 likes this.
  17. No worries... I just didn't want to leave you out of the tagging spree in case you were interested in voting. So happy you're still following along & like the write-ups.... thank you!

vague and Lila like this.
  18. [​IMG]

Somehow @Robsolete wasn't in my tagging spree list. Remedied! (I guess I just assumed I didn't need to remind you!)

@londonrain or @Blayke did you have any interest in submitting scores to the Mandy rate? I couldn't remember. If so, I'll add you to my potential voters list.

Blayke, vague and Robsolete like this.
  19. Don't worry, my scores will definitely be in. My 10+ average for Wild Slaying needs to be counted.

Sprockrooster, pop3blow2 and vague like this.
  20. I have never participated in a discography rate and I absolute adore Mandy. I think I’ve heard each of these songs at least once and some I know by heart. I can’t promise that I’ll be able to complete the rate in time but I’m definitely gonna try and will most certainly be checking in on the results! Can’t wait!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.