Mare of Easttown (HBO) Kate Winslet mini-series | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

Mare of Easttown (HBO) Kate Winslet mini-series

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by 4Roses, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Kate and Julianne were phenomenal in that final episode and even though she was underused, Jean still managed to get a good solid tear out of me.

2. Subwaykid

Subwaykid Staff Member

Jean Smart being cast just for pratfalls and fruit ninja was even worse than Guy Pearce’s role but she was a delight as usual.

spaceship and lushLuck like this.
  3. I know I'm late, but I just finished the first two episodes and I am positively riveted ladies. Surely Kate is going to take home every award for this as well, no?

4. Jean Smart was underused but she probably had the most pivotal line in the series. That Mare needs to forgive herself about Kevin. It was the catalyst for the ending.

Dee91, LPMA, johnny_tsunami and 10 others like this.
  5. I hate that this show has me possibly rooting for someone other than Elizabeth Olsen for that Emmy.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  6. Kate was excellent but as contenders in her category I'd have her behind both Michaela Coel and Thuso Mbedu.

Presumably "Anya Taylor Joy" or whomever takes it.

lushLuck likes this.
  7. It’s certainly going to be a year in which any of them could / should take it, and that in another year they’d all be worthy winners, which is quite exciting!

johnny_tsunami and lushLuck like this.
  8. Who was also bloody wonderful in The Queen's Gambit, and deserved every award

Blue6010, AbSynth, Joe. and 2 others like this.
  9. Well I absolutely tore through the second half today, and I loved it even if it is basically Sharp Objects: New England Boogaloo right down to the final twist. Overall just a beautifully constructed mystery.

There was like one too many red herrings, but with the quality of what they delivered for like 95% of it, I'll let them have their gotcha moment.

10. I still haven’t seen The KWEEN’s Gambit.

lushLuck likes this.
  11. Watch it Hen

Judy Jetson Hooker likes this.

12. I mean, I imagine there is some truth to these because Kate does seem to be a thoroughly decent person, but I lost it at Kate volunteered to climb in the boot.

13. The gutsy shock death in episode 5 is what I'll remember the show for, in years to come.

14. I really missed him in the last 2 episodes though. I wonder if it was worth it.

Dee91, wickedbruv, spaceship and 4 others like this.
  15. I don’t think it’s been mentioned but Guy Pierce was a last second stand in for a lesser known actor. Kate just called him up for a favor ddd.

16. The last episode was ridiculous. Kinda ruined the whole series for me. I'm still glad I watched it for Jean Smart's performance alone.

Nwonder likes this.
  17. Episode 5 really was the peak but there were some interesting twists and the final scene with Mare and Lori made for a still very engaging epilogue in my opinion.

Remorque, spaceship, Andrew.L and 2 others like this.
  18. Haha! They are all true though. I watched quite a few interviews with the cast and all these things were brought up in different ones.

19. The biggest gag was Mr. Caroll announcing that he had an affair with Mare's mom at his wife's funeral. It's these moments that made the series stand out for me. The crime part was interesting but it's the full package that sold it.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    LPMA, RainOnFire, crash9081 and 11 others like this.
  20. @spaceship I agree. Especially Mare's reaction in the next scene. That laugh.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.