Mariah Carey - #Butterfly25 + General Discussion | Page 1201 | The Popjustice Forum

Mariah Carey - #Butterfly25 + General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Sabrina, Jan 31, 2007.

1. "Outside" and "Close My Eyes" are my personal favorites. They feel like the two sides of the same coin that finds her revisiting her childhood trauma. "Whenever You Call" probably rounds up my Butterfly ballads top 3 based on vocal savagery alone.

2. The only reason Butterfly nearly killed the album campaign was because Columbia stifled it's release. It's hard to buy a single when you can't buy the single!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  3. The whole campaign was badly executed. Butterfly ended a run of 12 straight top 10 singles in the UK, then there was whatever happened with The Roof (HMV etc had copies on sale - were these imports or was the single chart ineligible for some reason?) and Breakdown didn't get a release. It's amazing My All did as well as it did, under the circumstances.

londonrain and dangeleyes like this.
  4. The album is a spoil of riches, the title track being one of them. Argue with your mom!

[​IMG]

5. I believe The Roof only charted in the UK due to import copies, mine has a "Virgin import" sticker on the front. It wasn't given a proper release here

6. Only the version with Brian McKnight

7. @Vasilios look what you've DONE to this thread, causing the lambs to start screaming

8. Imagine writing and producing a song as stunning as Butterfly, complete with that vocal delivery, only for someone to turn around and refer to it as "terrible"!

Mariah, sweetie, I am SO sorry!

9. Butterfly is a perfect album, it's mathematically impossible for there to be a 'worst'.

10. Butterfly, is truly her masterpiece.

dangeleyes likes this.
  11. Butterfly, the song, is so out of place on the album . It’s a great, basic, Mariah ballad. But between Honey and My All? No no Mimi!
    My All is waaaaay better (it’s stunning actually).

Maria likes this.
  12. ..Is the weakest track on the album...

Imagineitwasus, Butterfly and Zinone like this.
  13. Exactly and I told her I said ma'am.

Andrew, RainOnFire, nikkysan and 2 others like this.
  14. Yas what a bulletproof album that always deserves its flowers!

15. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

I'm trying not to indulge in hyperbole but Butterfly is quite literally an 11/10 album and I don't say that lightly. All twelve songs are career highlights, and as a body of work, it's untouchable.

16. Butterfly is incredible and one of her best vocal performances. *pushes play*

17. I don't dislike it by any means but Butterfly is my least favorite song on the album by a huge margin. It's my least favorite Mariah single of the 90's probably (in a sea of 10's, it's a 7).

18. "Butterfly" the single is...tedious.

'Butterfly' the album is fab though, and "Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise)" is heavenly.

_hazzie_ and tylerc like this.
  19. I seriously thought perhaps I never noticed, but looking at my Butterfly CD, “The Roof” didn’t have “(Back in Time)” in its title then. I wonder what prompted the inclusion.

londonrain likes this.
  20. I always thought adding words in brackets is simply to make a song easier to find / request / sell / stream. ‘Back in time’ is a more prominent phrase than ‘the roof’.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.