Mariah Carey - General Discussion + #MC30 | Page 1055 | The Popjustice Forum

Mariah Carey - General Discussion + #MC30

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Sabrina, Jan 31, 2007.

1. .

Am I reading the second tweet correctly - A ''Rarities'' version of ''I Don't Wanna Cry'' in Mariah's clutches?

2. Presumably she means the Live from Tokyo Dome version? Don’t worry I got my hopes up too ddd

3. Artist worrying about offending fans for disliking something from her own work? Humble and caring queen we don't deserve.

4. Ah, I see. That would make sense.

5. Migrate is in Mariah's Top 10, but I'm not sure if some are ready for that conversation!

6. I'm more offended that she once self-hated I Don't Wanna Cry, that's what I call a crime.

7. I finally got around to watching the Apple TV special. A perfect dose of festive Mimi!

Maria and Overdose like this.
  8. This! One of her finest ballads for me.

Veeis and Butterfly like this.
  9. I was always a fan of this one but the Tokyo Dome live version coming right up with The Rarities made me fell in love deeper with it even more.

joeee and WhatKindOfKylie? like this.
  10. Yes, it was a fantastic version and done live so effortlessy.

11. I've been listening to the soundtrack properly today and I think Mariah achieved a little Christmas miracle here in recreating these songs.

These new versions are different enough to be interesting in their own right – in other words, they don't make you desperately want to listen to the original versions – while somehow still remaining very faithful to the originals.

It feels like she's truly paying homage to herself, keeping the spirit of these songs intact but approaching them in a way that is sensible to the changed times, whether that means taking a different vocal approach or improving the quality of the instrumentations and backing vocals. I dare say some of them are arguably better songs overall than their original counterpart.

She could have ~reinvented~ these songs for the sake of it, but she chose not to and I believe this ultimately comes down to how much respect and admiration she has for her own work. And this reminds me yet again why she's my favourite artist.

Also, while the character of Little Mimi is cheesy af, I can't help but love her for including it. Fits perfectly alongside the story told in the book. It took her till now, and it's a process which started a few years ago, but you can really tell she has finally taken control of the narrative of her career AND her personal life. And that is beautiful to see.

Sprockrooster, LPT, RUNAWAY and 10 others like this.
  12. Spotify have finally playlisted Oh Santa and quite high up their most popular Christmas playlist too, much higher than other new Xmas songs so it will benefit massively in next week charts without the ACR rule. I guess they were just holding off till the exclusive which Apple had with the soundtrack come to an end

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  13. Me too. The Tokyo Dome performance really elevated the song for me.

14. pdf

pdf

Is The Emancipation Of Mimi vinyl out today in the UK or has it been delayed?

15. I think it's next week now, which it's been for a while. I still can't believe her UK store (almost) managed to honour the original November release date for me.

Sprockrooster, joeee and pdf like this.
  16. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

The way she ignored the “least favourite” part of the question... but what great choices for her faves.

17. Mariah listening to her own music whilst she cooks, the taste!

18. Loving Sleigh Ride.
    Though, it slightly irks me that the segue into Hark! has been split in to a different track - either make it end on its own or keep them together. Separating tracks that go into each other doesn't work in a playlist format (unless you're able to get over the abrupt end).

theincredibleflipper likes this.
  19. Agree, but I think they were just trying to make the album look beefier than it is. 17 tracks totaling 33 minutes...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.