Mariah Carey - General Discussion | Page 1135 | The Popjustice Forum

Mariah Carey - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Sabrina, Jan 31, 2007.

1. It also sold the album for months, dyall think people were buying Butterfly for Butterfly?

Womanizer, Cordyceps, Lapras and 7 others like this.
  2. Honey was that first school bus jam I ever experienced, the type of song that all the students would demand the driver turn up when it came on their radio as everyone got down in their seats & in the aisle, and all the cool kids knew every word, while this baby gay sat in his seat saying ‘Mariah who?’ What an introduction.

Womanizer, LTG, matthew. and 18 others like this.
  3. But seriously

Dreamlover*, Fantasy, Honey, I Still Believe (Remix), Heartbreaker, Loverboy.

That run of first singles Mariah invented Hip-Pop and she needs more credit for this.

This was just crying out for a Hip-Hop mix with a rapper.

Lapras, ohaimanabu, Txetxu and 2 others like this.
  4. I do think Honey isn't as remembered by the GP as say Fantasy or Emotions though. It certainly doesn't get the respect it deserves (much like Mariah herself, or her discography as a whole, but that's another discussion).

ohaimanabu and Txetxu like this.
  5. If anything Emotions is the forgotten one.

6. Maybe it’s a UK thing but I’d say Emotions is one of the better known ones? One of the few I hear often without having to seek out.

7. 'Honey' being performed on Top Of The Pops is one of my earliest memories while being a Lamb.

ohaimanabu likes this.
  8. I still can't believe people called Honey underperforming. OK Miss Motolla!

Womanizer, LTG, 4Roses and 19 others like this.
  9. Emotions deserves to be a remembered classic, and it does seem to have gone through a renaissance the last couple of years in the UK (I think it's on rotation at Smooth which has helped).

WhatKindOfKylie?, maikos87 and Txetxu like this.
  10. Emotions is a classic. When people think of Mariah whistle notes that’s literally the song they think of.

11. Jumping off the balcony and taking her dress off in the pool made me a lamb before she even started singing

LTG, 4Roses, Bobbyrae and 15 others like this.
  12. I think Mariah's unquestionable (non Christmas) classics are (in no particular order):

Vision of Love
    We Belong Together
    Always Be My Baby
    Fantasy
    Emotions
    Hero
    Dreamlover
    Honey
    One Sweet Day
    Without You

This may be blasphemy to an older generation, but at this point her version of Without You is the version, yes?

Pure Shores, K94, Wishlight and 5 others like this.
  13. She rolled out Emotions on both of her last Christmas tours. If people forgot about it at least she keeps reminding them.

Lapras, will82 and ohaimanabu like this.
  14. There's NO way Emotions is forgotten. Dreamlover is probably the one from the 90s that nobody really talks about.

Wishlight, RUNAWAY, Jacques and 2 others like this.
  15. Dreamlover is only well known in my social circles because I spam it and the club remixes at every function.

16. I hear Dreamlover out and about pretty often.

Thank God I Found You always strikes me a song that non-lambs would have a hard time remembering. Specifically from the 90's, I'd say the single that doesn't get much attention nowadays would be Make It Happen. Judging her songs popularity by Spotify isn't the most fair marker cuz I don't know that streaming has been the main source of music for Mimi's core audience until more recently, but Make It Happen is one of her lowest on there.

Forgotten singles overall are easy - Boy, Bringing On the Heartbreak, Crybaby, Never Too Far, I Wanna Know What Love Is.

WhatKindOfKylie? and If You Go like this.
  17. Despite however many weeks at number one, I do think “One Sweet Day” is pretty forgotten.

Uno likes this.
  18. I'd say her universally known songs here in the UK are;

Emotions
    I'll Be There (mainly because it's referred to as a Mariah song every time it's performed on a talent show)
    Hero
    Without You
    Fantasy
    Always Be My Baby
    We Belong Together

19. Obsessed is definitely amongst her most well known. I would go as far to say it's her most well known apart from AIWFC for the younger generation

20. I will never forget a young work colleague of mine thinking Obsessed was Mariah’s first song. I died inside and then went into education mode.

LTG, 4Roses, Wishlight and 14 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.