Mariah Carey - General Discussion | Page 1203 | The Popjustice Forum

Mariah Carey - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Sabrina, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Did anyone see this? They were incredible and always happy to see 'Anytime You Need A Friend' get some recognition

2. While it’s getting its shine, “Anytime You Need a Friend” is still probably my favourite Mariah song of all time - the ab-libs on the final chorus are just… next-level.

3. Hi

4. Thanks for bringing this song up. I’m going to give Caution a spin. Love that album so much and the cover and colors are one of my favorites.

londonrain, HolyWater, Maria and 3 others like this.
  5. Caution on vinyl, is just truly beautiful. Really comes to life that artwork.

6. Reading the #1s liner notes and that Make It Happen and Anytime You Need A Friend slander hurts more now than it did in ‘98 when I didn’t even know the songs.

7. Two of her finest moments of so many.

dangeleyes and AshtrayHeart like this.
  8. They did end up on the greatest hits album she mentions, but then...

londonrain, nooniebao, snoho and 5 others like this.
  9. dd I’ve never seen her even reference that Greatest Hits and I always assumed it was a contract release, so that clip sums it up.

10. Isn't she speaking positively about them though? Unless I'm completely misunderstanding this post dd.

londonrain, GimmeWork and djmakemewet like this.
  11. Well she says one day she’ll release a proper greatest hits that’ll include deeper cuts and songs she personally thinks are better than Make It Happen and Anytime You Need a Friend (and Endless Love), so I kind of felt she was throwing them under the bus, but also, she has such a great back catalogue in general so I sort of get her point too, Even if Anytime You Need a Friend is one of my favourites.

dangeleyes and WhatKindOfKylie? like this.
  12. I think it's songs she thinks are better than some of the #1s, so all the songs included in that bracket are being praised. I see how it looks like that from the formatting though.

13. Yeah it must be! It was her idea to do Endless Love with Luther and she seems to love Make It Happen, she’s performed it so many times!

#1’s sounds gorgeous on vinyl, it didn’t hit me until I started playing it that it was the US track list. Obviously that was going to be the case but I dunno… I’m so used to having Do You Know Where You’re Going To and Without You on there haha oh and I had Endless Love added in iTunes for so many years, I forgot it wasn’t on any edition of the album haha

Last edited: May 2, 2022
    londonrain likes this.
  14. I am a fairweather Mariah Carey fan at best, but buying #1s yesterday and hearing 'Someday' for the first time truly has rid both my brain and my body of any cognitive abilities whatsoever because she can't stop bopping along to it. Fuck's sake

15. Hurrah for this! Truly one of her all time best songs and bops if even alas Mariah herself can't see it.

16. I adore Mariah and hold her opinions in high respect but the dislike for 'Someday' is not something I get on board with. Though I know she just resents the production more than the song itself.

17. Imagine her redoing it in the Butterfly Lounge à la We Belong Together Valentine edition. That would be heaven.

dangeleyes, P'NutButter and Maria like this.
  18. For me being 15 or so when Someday came out it felt like the sound of Bobby Brown / Karyn White a year or two late so I imagine Mariah felt the same. It wasn’t fresh. It was and still is a giant bop though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.