Mariah Carey - The Discography Rate: Part. 1 'The 90's' (RESULTS - *WINNER!* and round-up)

mariah-careyHeader_zps18690f28.png

Mariah Carey. A legend, icon, idol, diva, vocal-acrobat, Chanteuse... Often imitated never duplicated.

An artist that has 18 US no.1 singles, has won five Grammy Awards, 19 World Music Awards, 11 American Music Awards, and 31 Billboard
Music Awards and she is the third-best-selling female artist in the United States, with 63.5 million certified albums (but who is counting?!). Referred to as the "songbird supreme" by the Guinness World Records, she is famed for her five-octave vocal range, power and signature use of the whistle register.

Idolized by many a lower tier performer...

Those who have cited Carey as an influence are... Ariana Grande (duh), Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Jessica Simpson (?), Rihanna, Grimes, Kelly Clarkson, Nelly Furtado, Leona Lewis, Brandy Norwood, Pink, Mary J. Blige and also Missy Elliott. Another female up-comer, Beyoncé, credits Carey's singing and her song "Vision of Love" as influencing her to begin practicing vocal "runs" as a child, as well as helping her pursue a career as a musician.

I suppose Stevie Wonder said it best...
"When people talk about the great influential singers, they talk about Aretha, Whitney and Mariah. That's a testament to her talent. Her range is that amazing."

tumblr_inline_n8q3fqNfhk1qkf9g6.gif

If Jermaine likes it... then I like it.

84-51_zps05a53719.png

50-1_zps94469d90.png

Last Place - #84
83-81
80-79
78-77
76-75
74-72
71-70
69-68
67-65
64-61
#60-58
57-54
53-51
50-48
47...-44
43- 41
40-38
33-32
31 30- 28 27 - 26
25-24
22-21
19-18
17 16
#14-13
#12 - 11
3rd
2nd
WINNER

Last edited:
Re: Mariah Carey - The Discography Rate: Part. 1 'The 90's' (Voting DEFINITELY closed!)

We will be starting this rate with what could arguably still be Mariah's strongest run of albums, from the self-titled debut, through to Rainbow. The 90's.

- To listen to an album, click it's title. (other tracks are highlighted)

Mariah Carey

1. Vision Of Love
2. There's Got To Be A Way
3. I Don't Wanna Cry
4. Someday
5. Vanishing
6. All In Your Mind
7. Alone In Love
8. You Need Me
9. Sent From Up Above
10. Prisoner
11. Love Takes Time

Emotions

1. Emotions
2. And You Don't Remember
3. Can't Let Go
4. Make It Happen
5. If It's Over
6. You're So Cold
7. So Blessed
8. To Be Around You
9. Till The End Of Time
10. The Wind

MTV Unplugged EP

1. I'll Be There (With Trey Lorenz)

- Endless Love (Luther Vandross and Mariah Carey)

Music Box

1. Dreamlover
2. Hero
3. Anytime You Need A Friend
4. Music Box
5. Now That I Know
6. Never Forget You
7. Without You
8. Just To Hold You Once Again
9. I've Been Thinking About You
10. All I've Ever Wanted
11. Everything Fades Away
12. Do You Think Of Me *
13. Anytime You Need A Friend (C+C Radio Mix) *

Merry Christmas

1. All I Want For Christmas Is You
2. Miss You Most (At Christmas Time)

Daydream

1. Fantasy
2. Underneath The Stars
3. One Sweet Day
4. Open Arms
5. Always Be My Baby
6. I Am Free
7. When I Saw You
8. Long Ago
9. Melt Away
10. Forever
11. Daydream Interlude (Fantasy Sweet Dub Mix)
12. Looking In
13. Slipping Away *
14. Fantasy (Remix - Feat. O.D.B.)*
15. Always Be My Baby (Def Club Mix) *

Butterfly

1. Honey
2. Butterfly
3. My All
4. The Roof
5. Fourth Of July
6. Breakdown
7. Babydoll
8. Close My Eyes
9. Whenever You Call
10. Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise)
11. The Beautiful Ones
12. Outside
13. My All / Stay Awhile (Remix) *

#1's

1. Sweetheart (With JD)
2. When You Believe (With Whitney Houston)
3. I Still Believe
- I Still Believe / Pure Imagination (Remix feat Da Brat) *
4. Do You Know Where You're Going To (Theme From Mahogany)

Rainbow

1. Heartbreaker
2. Can't Take That Away (Mariah's Theme)
3. Bliss
4. How Much (With Usher)
5. After Tonight
6. X-Girlfriend
7. Heartbreaker (Remix)
8. Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now)
9. Crybaby (Feat. Snoop Dogg)
10. Did I Do That?
11. Petals
12. Thank God I Found You
13. Thank God I Found You (Remix Feat. Joe) *

* Bonus (not integral)

Score the tracks from 0 - 10, half-points are okay. I hope you enjoy the rate! [SUB][SUP](and commentary is welcome)[/SUP][/SUB]

Last edited:
Re: Mariah Carey - The Discography Rate: Part. 1 'The 90's' (Voting closes October 1st 2014)

Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise) better be the stealth top 10 of this.

Re: Mariah Carey - The Discography Rate: Part. 1 'The 90's' (Voting closes October 1st 2014)

Wow can't wait to get on with rating these..! Some of my favourite albums ever.

Yas. I'm ready. When's the deadline?

Edit: Actually decided to read the thread title. Oop.

Last edited:

matthew.

Staff member
He/Him

Breakdown for top 10.

I have a feeling people are going to fuck over Butterfly and I'm going to get extremely pissed.

I hope Fourth of July makes Top 20 and Babydoll goes for Top 10.

I hope When You Believe does better than I expect it to.

Oh and y'all better give Prisoner the 10 it deserves.

#ThanfulForVasilios

Dang I forgot you lot all love Butterfly here. It's the second worst album in this rate!!

Daydream
Rainbow
Music Box
Mariah Carey
Butterfly
Emotions

I expect probably a lot of Emotions album tracks will be first out.

For clarification, why are we only ranking her original Christmas songs? There are plenty of covers on her other albums...

The link to Emotions has no sound.

There is an intimidating amount to rate here, but I have to do it. She was the reason I discovered music as a kid.

You're So Cold
Now That I Know
Prisoner

Oh em gee, the CLASSIQUES.

Realistically, I'm rooting for Always Be My Baby or Honey to snatch this. The Roof is the most overrated song of all time.

I agree that The Roof is completely overrated. It is not even one of the best tracks on Butterfly. It is just mediocre.

It's so monotone and it goes nowhere. I always forget where I am about halfway through it.

I AM FREE. Another 10/10. I loved when early Mariah could take us to church.

MollieSwift21

Staff member

Very excited for this. I largely prefer her early material though the later years are nice too. One of the most talented all-round singers ever.

Jesus Born on This Day is a 10.