Mariah Carey

I was there as well! I haven’t seen the film since it came out and it is so different than I remembered. It’s actually another Star is Born more or less (not a criticism) which I didn’t recognise at the time. Mariah is better than I remember - the script and the pacing and that crazy rushed ending are the problems. It really made me reassess the era and how horrible everyone was to her. Also, I hated Loverboy at the time, and, to these ears, it sounds so much better now.

ps I loved the woman who did the little slide show at the front
Here at the Barbican Glitter screening and the girls are out in full force!

I was also there!

I liked the film but you can see how it dealt with a lot of interference because it's a little all over the place.

I’d also never seen it before and honestly? I thought it was terrible but I still greatly enjoyed being there and the presentation at the start was fab. I’m just glad I got to share in the communal laughter every time she picked up that damn cat!
Hahahahaha THE CAT

She should go for Queen of Xmas and Sitting.
tumblr_mk543q79EF1qllizko3_400.jpg

Mariah herself has bristled every time someone's called her that, so I'm assuming this trademark application was more her team's initiative. I don't know the first thing about this trademark law but I would've thought it's far too broad for her to claim it? Even if this Elizabeth/Darlene mess didn't happen, some form of media blowback was surely predictable - is it worth having the exclusive rights to stick that on a t-shirt?

That said Elizabeth Chan's bitter Obsessed.mp3 self can fuck off! The girls found years of shady tweets and postings from her. Darlene wasn't cute for her vocal shade either but we'll overlook since she is an actual Christmas queen...

Not sure how I feel about this. Actually, I do. I wish she didn’t.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/08/17/mariah-carey-queen-christmas-trademark/
It feels unnecessary on first thought? No artist has such a hold on a specific holiday like she has with Christmas. No need to monetize it more? But I am also careful with this stuff because who knows which specific case Mariah is thinking about. Maybe it is also a reaction to somebody else using that and trying to cash on Mariah when her team is using this universally seeming term in press releases and stuff? Like a „why should someone else make me pay?“ kind of way. So for us it may generally feel weird but in her position it may make sense? In the end it’s copyright nonsense I think.

I also hear all the points of the people already coming for blood but she really is deep into that Christmas thing. Criticism for All I Want For Christmas because it sounds like a classic is plain silly to be honest.

Is it inspired by what came before it? Yes. Is it legitimately one of the best pop songs ever - and I am not saying Christmas but Pop on purpose here? Yes.

It’s not like Lindsay and her sister are saying they own Christmas because they once made an EP.

It feels unnecessary on first thought? No artist has such a hold on a specific holiday like she has with Christmas. No need to monetize it more? But I am also careful with this stuff because who knows which specific case Mariah is thinking about. Maybe it is also a reaction to somebody else using that and trying to cash on Mariah when her team is using this universally seeming term in press releases and stuff? Like a „why should someone else make me pay?“ kind of way. So for us it may generally feel weird but in her position it may make sense? In the end it’s copyright nonsense I think.

I also hear all the points of the people already coming for blood but she really is deep into that Christmas thing. Criticism for All I Want For Christmas because it sounds like a classic is plain silly to be honest.

Is it inspired by what came before it? Yes. Is it legitimately one of the best pop songs ever - and I am not saying Christmas but Pop on purpose here? Yes.

It’s not like Lindsay and her sister are saying they own Christmas because they once made an EP.
I get what you’re saying. But it just doesn’t feel very smart to solve one problem by creating another set of issues. I’m not even trying to defend the likes of Darlene or Elizabeth who here. It just feels like she needs better advisors.

I get what you’re saying. But it just doesn’t feel very smart to solve one problem by creating another set of issues. I’m not even trying to defend the likes of Darlene or Elizabeth who here. It just feels like she needs better advisors.
As I said I does not feel necessary but I don’t want to judge her as long as we don’t know how involved she is and what this is about.

To word it differently: imagine promoters would advertise „a surprise appearance by the Queen of Christmas“ - with all love to everybody involved people would just think of Mariah. So it does make sense in a way to not taint her name with disappointed fans?

If it’s about the given example - maybe even with specific problems that came up in the past - it kind of would make sense. If this is about shirts and other merch it’s A No No obviously.

What makes me wonder is that Mariah simply doesn’t need that specific wording to sell music and stuff. Her name alone works. She could call herself everything

What makes me wonder is that Mariah simply doesn’t need that specific wording to sell music and stuff. Her name alone works. She could call herself everything
I think this is precisely the issue. Her team is applying for a trademark that she doesn’t need. I love MC. But I can’t my head around it. Does she owe anybody an explanation? Probably not. But does it make me question the quality of the decision? Absolutely. Pop stars aren’t perfect. But when our idols make questionable decisions, we need to call them out too. Their overzealous team may be behind it, but it’s their brand that’ll take a hit.

I think this is precisely the issue. Her team is applying for a trademark that she doesn’t need. I love MC. But I can’t my head around it. Does she owe anybody an explanation? Probably not. But does it make me question the quality of the decision? Absolutely. Pop stars aren’t perfect. But when our idols make questionable decisions, we need to call them out too. Their overzealous team may be behind it, but it’s their brand that’ll take a hit.
As I said to me the most logical explanation would be that they want to stop people promoting "The Queen of Christmas is coming" events which could lead to wrong assumptions and disappointment.

The tracklist is a nice thought. Sigh.
I always wanted a Mariah version of the Allure tracks... they were very Butterfly without Sony/Tommy interference.
I'd settle for a version of All Cried Out with a different male vocal on it. The song is massive, but 112's piss-weak efforts nearly ruin the whole thing.