Mariah Carey

whenever I revisit her discography I’m always stunned at how strong her pen game has always been. Butterfly is definitely her first magnum opus in my opinion, I think it really was the perfect mix between old-school balladeer Mariah and contemporary R&B Mariah. But my hot take is that Elusive Chanteuse is one of her best albums and I hate that it didn’t do what it was supposed to do chart-wise at the time and she didn’t promote it as much. Elusive Chanteuse to me is like Butterfly 2.0, it’s another milestone bronze/gold colourscheme-d masterpiece and has some great Mariah deep cuts like Make It Look Good, Camouflage and Faded.

There are times when I think Me. I Am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse is actually my absolute favourite Mariah album. It is a great album, loads of fab tracks. I love the variety of styles, I think it's a constantly interesting listen. It's such a enjoyable listen in the summer. Love it!

And yes, I also prefer E=MC2 to The Emancipation of Mimi - the quality of that album is all over the place whereas I've always found E=MC2 to be very consistent.

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his
I’m exactly the same! E=MC2 is amazing, as is Memoirs, as is Me, I Am Mariah. I think I’m in the minority though that Caution is not one of my faves.
they-had-us-in-the-first-half-not-gonna-lie.gif

There are times when I think Me. I Am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse is actually my absolute favourite Mariah album. It is a great album, loads of fab tracks. I love the variety of styles, I think it's a constantly interesting listen. It's such a enjoyable listen in the summer. Love it!

And yes, I also prefer E=MC2 to The Emancipation of Mimi - the quality of that album is all over the place whereas I've always found E=MC2 to be very consistent.
All of this...Elusive Chanteuse is one of the richest listening experience from her discography definitely...great mixing too.

E=MC2 is just soooo fun and soo hooky, it definitely feels more personal than Emancipation even if it still sounds like a fun, carefree, party record.

I have grown to love the post-Emancipation era but Caution and E=MC2 are probably my favs. Elusive Chanteuse is my least favorite but it still has Money, Beautiful, Make It Look Good, and You Don’t Know What to Do. Even her weakest albums serve!

He / Him
Memoirs is my most listened to Mariah album according to my stats, I'd never say it's my favourite (that's Butterfly) but it obviously has a lot of replay value.

My exact situation too. Butterfly is my favourite album but I haven’t overplayed it. Memoirs I’ve absolutely hammered and it’s my most played. Both albums are cohesive but every song on Memoirs offers me something.

MNEK put his whole MNEKussy in this bop - it ends up sounding like a lost 90s Mariah revocalled remix. I mean the post chorus hee heees!

MNEK really is one of the most Mariah-influenced artists out there.
His vocal arrangements, melodies, structures. All so Mariah.

If only it was a 10min extravaganza like Mariah's remixes also.

Without reading your post properly, I thought this was going to be a cover of Mariah's Side Effects.