Marina - Ancient Dreams In A Modern Land | Page 49 | The Popjustice Forum

Marina - Ancient Dreams In A Modern Land

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Butterfly, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Gold is easily one of the best Marina songs period. Especially in relation to her journey from her debut to Froot. Ugh the satisfying trinity of those releases and their themes. If only she used the title track and not Savages for her inspiration moving forward

2. I think Savages is the worst song on Froot. It's followed closely by Weeds, which has great verses but that chorus... she was right for never playing that one.

sesita, He and ePoise like this.
  3. “Immortal” really arrived at a time in my life where I needed it the most (due to a loved one passing unexpectedly earlier in 2014), so I will always view that song through rose-colored glasses.

myblood, Music Is Death, R92 and 12 others like this.
  4. Better Than That is the easily the worst song on Froot. The lyrics are problematic trash IMO and are a blemish on an otherwise classy and elegant record.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    Cutlery and iRyan like this.
  5. "Savages" is worse. It is a little annoying she continues to mine this sort of "socially conscious" material and be so boring with it. I haven't played "Purge the Poison" very much at all.

myblood, Island, Chris_P and 6 others like this.
  6. He

He

Savages ruined her career.

Chris_P and Petty Mayonnaise like this.
  7. I see the criticisms toward Savages. It does feel like the precursor to her downfall in some ways. But sonically it's a banger and it has momentum and urgency for days. And it's certainly leagues ahead of "Purge the Poison," which is just not a good song.

ateensfan, Verandi, lutz and 2 others like this.
  8. I feel that Marina could do a good political song if she wasn't so content with her trite generalities about the world. She's shown that she can dig deep and put forth a unique perspective, but she's at her absolute worst when she's comfortable. Even if she's personally happy, would it hurt her to push herself a little bit artistically? And maybe, IDK, explore politics instead of sounding like slightly drunk college students who think their surface level ideas about what's wrong with the world are deep.

9. Speaking of FROOT, I've been listening to Forget on loop for a couple of weeks and I must say that it's amazing.

10. Weeds is the one I truly struggle to listen to. That chorus... A sign of things to come.

Island, AllGagaLike and Jwentz like this.
  11. The way her back cat keeps on getting flowers I think doing a smart Greatest Hits for her next would make a lot of sense.

lutz likes this.
  12. oh COME ON NOW

myblood, krajol, Wishlight and 3 others like this.
  13. Yes! Extremely underrated song within Marina's back cat. That run of Froot / I'm a Ruin / Blue / Forget is so iconic. Honestly four very hard 10s.

Forget has a really interesting to lyrical approach to the idea of being hung up on past mistakes but trusting that you'll get where you need to be if you stop tripping yourself up on regret.

I've been dancing with the devil
    I love that he pretends to care
    If I'll ever get to heaven
    When a million dollars gets you there
    All the time that I have wasted
    Chasing rabbits down a hole
    When I was born to be a tortoise,
    I was born to walk alone

Amazing.

I'll save my essay on why Blue is the best song of her career for another post.

myblood, Music Is Death, R92 and 6 others like this.
  14. He

He

Oh, it’s true, it’s true.

sesita likes this.
  15. I really, really like Weeds and the disdain for it on here has never made a whole lot of sense to me.

myblood, Music Is Death, R92 and 20 others like this.
  16. Another week has gone by and I actively hate Purge The Poison now nn. I really enjoyed it on release day but I'm not able to ignore those lyrics anymore. I'm very sad.

17. I think all of the songs on FROOT are home runs, but Weeds and Savages are murky waters where the pace of the rest of the album had built up is disrupted a bit. I still return to them though.

18. Savages has never been a major highlight for me but knowing in retrospect that it would lead to these other poor attempts at political commentary, I like it less now nn.

myblood, Music Is Death, R92 and 7 others like this.
  19. It's the final chorus in Blue for me

20. She’s a “millionaire” didn’t you know

He likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.