Marina - Ancient Dreams In A Modern Land | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

Marina - Ancient Dreams In A Modern Land

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Butterfly, Nov 10, 2020.

1. The criticisms of some of the lyrics (and her...choice wording when it came to mental health in interviews) during Love + Fear were justified and understandable, but I do think a lot was done about how “awful” it was - she had huge expectations to live up to coming off the back of FROOT, which also didn’t help

2. I...

The album was released last year?

2019 was last year?

2020 really ruined me my perception of time.

[​IMG]

Hurricane, aaronhansome, Rem and 49 others like this.
  3. Well we can all be thankful that Love + Fear didn't come out in 2020, cause imagine the optics of Enjoy Your Life in 2020...

[​IMG]

4. Looking to the future never seem to make you happy
    Took you from reality, yeah, yeah
    Imagining the worst like it's gonna end so badly, yeah, yeah

[​IMG]

Hurricane, Rem, Delulu and 36 others like this.
  5. Hopefully she puts out a record worthy of her talents this time. I don’t want to be apathetic towards her and forget to go to her concert again dd

6. that reminds me of this very much real footage of @K94 at her Royal Albert concert even when she was all like YOU KNOW YOU CAN GET UP, RIGHT??????????

[​IMG]

aaronhansome, LPT, Rhombus and 7 others like this.
  7. K94

K94

Umm I was up but was literally on the side of the stage so wasn't gonna do the most kk

nooniebao, PopHouseMusic, R92 and 5 others like this.
  8. [​IMG]

Rem, Lander, nooniebao and 20 others like this.
  9. [​IMG]

nooniebao, R92, Jwentz and 2 others like this.
  10. Love + Fear was my most played album of 2019. It was Marina on autopilot (and like... to a reasonably shitty destination) but it was still reasonably enjoyable once I let go of my expectations.

She seems to be correcting on all the sonic mistakes she made with Love + Fear: this time writing the majority of it by herself and presumably having less sanitised, Spotify-playlist-oriented production. I just worry about some of the lyrical takes given that she seems to struggle with extrospection.

I think the latter issue has soured a lot of already pretty negative takes on the album/era. It really wasn't that bad (although it goes without saying, the fact that it wasn't as abysmal as it could have been doesn't make it exempt from criticism).

AfternoonsInUtopia likes this.
  11. "LOVE + FEAR" is Marina on autopilot, but it's not like that's something downright bad, just underwhelming. There are several gems on that album.

I really hope we get the proper goodies with this album, though.

lushLuck and Pineapple like this.
  12. Love + Fear has a lot of poor writing and even the good songs are let down by extremely boring production. I still kinda use this version of Karma

aux likes this.
  13. Love + Fear’s background music bops are honestly so pleasant to listen to so that whole album ended up on repeat last year. It does feel like it came out about 4 years ago AND I agree with every criticism levelled at it from an artistic angle... it’s just like soothing changing room music. Showering music. Chopping vegetables music. Using all of somebody else’s towels music.

14. Love + Fear is fairly bland but a lot of it shamelessly bops so I enjoyed it at face value. Granted it’s nowhere near the level of the records that came before it - neither as bizarre or brilliant, but I’m still interested to see what she’s done with this one.

dodoriazarbon and Maki like this.
  15. If the single is out Wednesday, I'm assuming we will hear it tomorrow then via Itunes NZ right ?

16. Love + Fear has better demos (You, Please Don't Call) than many of the tracks that made it (Orange Trees). And I think Enjoy Your Life is a cute bop that gets overly criticized.

VitaminBee likes this.
  17. Here's wishing for a solid album with a few bops and for things to get better so she visits Greece again and gift us a performance like this one, exactly a year ago.

He, BelievixStar and Vasilios like this.
    LPT, Jwentz, He and 1 other person like this.
  19. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Kept thinking this gif was going into the Shakira pooping chicken one

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.