Marina - Ancient Dreams In A Modern Land | Page 89 | The Popjustice Forum

Marina - Ancient Dreams In A Modern Land

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Butterfly, Nov 10, 2020.

1. I'm enjoying the album but truthfully can't see me revisiting it often

I normally say I can look past bad lyrics but New America might be the exception......

Stradiwhovius likes this.
  2. I want to see her on tour but she only has one Canadian date halfway across the country from me and the Canada/US border reopening is constantly being pushed back so I'm hesitant on buying a ticket I'd have to travel for nn. I hate it here.

The last time I saw her was fantastic and it was supporting a much worse album.

WhipperSnapper likes this.
  3. 2014

2014 Staff Member

#17 is pretty decent for her right now no?

SlowBurn likes this.
  4. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Also she beat Maroon 5 at least so let's celebrate that x

5. Yeah, honestly, she had… absolutely nothing to back up this record. There was no “Primadonna”, no “Baby”, no performances, no acoustic lives, almost no “alternative copies”… nothing dd.

I wouldn’t be surprised if she manages to get a cute top10 then #out next year when the vinyl is released. It’s a long pre order and gays are gonna gay with vinyl color and so.

I feel a bit conflicted about what’s coming next after this. The album feels like the first foot back at the right way, but I do wonder if she’ll have “more to say” while turning more and more “niche” with the fanbase.

6. RMK

RMK

New America doing well on streaming will only make her go toward more political tracks. Sadness.

7. In all seriousness, can we ascribe some blame for this low chart position to Love + Fear? Was it so bad it negatively impacted on sales of this album? I think Ancient Dreams is a toweringly fab pop record, so I don't understand why it charted at #17. Blaming Love + Fear seems like a good way of coping with the disappointment.

8. RMK

RMK

It isn’t because of Love + Fear, at least completely. They clearly didn’t have physical copies ready (vinyls are a huge deal), and there’s virtually way less promotion than she’s done for past albums. The first single was also a year ago, and I recall Man’s World getting more local attention than anything previously. It’s good, but there just wasn’t much hype.

D.Jay likes this.
  9. I wouldn't say so, given Love + Fear entered at #5. Of course, there was probably more good-will coming off Froot as the previous album but with the 'return to old Marina!' angle this album had, as well as UK labels having the first week chart game down to a T, I see no reason this shouldn't have been an easy top 10 at least.

Alternate covers & signed copies surely could've shifted a decent amount.

10. R27

R27

I used to love Marina, but this is now the second album in a row that's a dud for me. Almost every song here has at least some cringeworthy lyrics and, as has been stated elsewhere in thos thread, she feels really out of her depth when attempting to make political commentary. A few tracks are saved by their production, but even the hooks mostly fall flat here.

I'm glad she didn't continue in the vein of Love + Fear, but this clumsy return to the "old Marina" is hardly an improvement (in fact, I might like this record even less that then last one). I'm still open to new music from her, but I don't think I'll be following her releases as closely anymore.

Phonetics Girl likes this.
  11. Hello yes, I’m a delusional faguette but imagine if “I Love You But I Love Me More” was the lead single.

Phonetics Girl and Maki like this.
  12. She did make a move to the US roster of Atlantic since she’s based in LA now, so I do wonder whether it’s not so much the U.K. label taking their eye off the ball, or a situation where they weren’t given enough to support a full launch.

D.Jay likes this.
  13. Very low sales no matter how you look at it. 3K is very low. Can't believe she doesn't have more than 3K fans in the UK.
    The vinyl is also too far, end of February 2022 is too long waiting. I'm not gonna buy something that arrives next year.

D.Jay likes this.
  14. I love Marina but the only time I’m going to go near a cd is if it’s signed, and I’ve pre-ordered the vinyl for next year, so she didn’t get a sale from me. I said it earlier in the thread, if artists like Marina want top 10 hits, they need to go all out with signed editions and vinyls, Marina had neither at release date so the chart position is disappointing but not surprising.

D.Jay likes this.
  15. Shame as I’m enjoying the album, but not surprising with the lack of promo. I saw more promo for the livestream (which I get as I guess would be more lucrative in the streaming era). The lack of decent bundles/vinyl delays were a misstep.

16. Is she out of contract after this? The whole campaign from the label side sort of felt like a "let's just get this out the way shall we".

17. Did she do any promo for the album or the singles? If it wasn't for Popjustice I don't think I'd know she had a new album out

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  18. Waiting so long between “Man’s World” and “Purge the Poison” made absolutely no sense to me, so that definitely wasted whatever goodwill existed at the beginning of this era.

19. RJF

RJF

Where would she do promo? Radio doesn't play her, she isn't a household name (and she will have sunk a portion of that paltry recognition with the name change) that radio stations or television producers would book, she's not an upcoming buzzy new artist... her audience is pretty much queers on the Internet. Who hated her last project so that's her audience shrunk even further.

Yuri and R27 like this.
  20. It's strange that even Radio 2 or 6Music don't touch her releases. UK radio really laughed and said "no" to anything post Electra Heart.

Joe. and superloves like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.