Marina - Ancient Dreams In A Modern Land | Page 91 | The Popjustice Forum

Marina - Ancient Dreams In A Modern Land

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Butterfly, Nov 10, 2020.

1. I don't even know what to say about that chart placement. I mean, it's a result of Love + Fear having been so beige and affecting the amount of people still checking for her, right?

Deborux likes this.
  2. Is it, though? I feel like Marina has a pretty core fanbase and I can't see anyone buying Love + Fear who didn't buy her previous albums

3. Yes, as in, her core fanbase has clearly dwindled drastically since Love + Fear.

4. I don't think so? Streaming numbers are the same. She's a fanbase act so with no vinyl out of course the chart positions will suck.

5. I don’t know for a certain but I’m going to assume ticket bundles helped Love + Fear quite a bit as well.

6. Some fans jumped ship after Love + Fear but hasn’t vinyl always been one of her stronger metrics? Kinda like how Lana is. It wouldn’t shock me if her stans are just waiting for their vinyls and don’t care about boosting her first week numbers.

aux and Jwentz like this.
  7. The album is out of the top 100 in the U.K. in the Monday midweeks.

PopHouseMusic likes this.
  8. Someone mentioned "last album on contract so let she do whatever she wants" and honestly... I see it dd.

Was reading some of her old blogs and there was a funny one (or interview, not sure) that she just went "I'm just gonna release everything til I'm 30. Then I'll have a baby and stop. That's it. I need to throw everything out before I'm 30." Maybe she really did throw everything she had to say before she was 30.

I was quite shocked to see that Family Jewels has "only" around 500k copies worldwide. She does look... bigger (?) than she really is.

9. I haven't listened to Love + Fear since it came out so I gave it a listen today and during 'Life is Strange' my earphone fell out and fell into my hot tea and now they don't work anymore, so....

10. Nn I love this alburm oops.

LPT, speedyboi, He and 6 others like this.
  11. Did it fall into the tea or was it compelled by the material to jump...

12. Sorry, I had to.

13. I'm still floored that we went from "your worst days, they are over / so enjoy your life" to global pandemic in less than a year.

14. I am huge fan of the debut, Electra Heart & Froot (had to cancel my preorder of the 7 inch vinyl box set as had limited funds at the time grrr), Love + Fear was just flat and uninspiring at first so I lost interest.

However I’m loving the new album. Flowers is just utterly gorgeous her voice sounds angelic. I can ignore lyrical clunkers if the songs stand up, and for me they do.

Trouble in Paradise, Jwentz and Mikal like this.
  15. It wasn't, by far. The lowest ever at the time sold like half of Electra's opening?

The album has sold like 150k, and houses her biggest and most known hit. The era kind of cut short though in the UK, which messed things up a bit but Primadonna not being top 10 didn't really matter when it sold as much as it did.

16. I thought Electra Heart was the lowest selling number one, overtaking Bionic? Or was that... a joke that I took seriously for a decade? I'm wheezing.

Edit –

[​IMG]

17. Wasn’t it the lowest selling album to debut at number one?

Butterfly and Milotic like this.
  18. I feel like this record has been broken quite a lot over the last 10 years because people aren’t buying the album. Poor Ashanti.

19. I always had it in my mind that the achievement was "lowest selling #1 album of the 2010s decade (so far)". No clue if any act overtook Marina after that, though?

20. As much as this is a return to form, it’s just fine as a package. I’m glad she stepped away from that shitstorm of a last album. Maybe I’ve just grown out of Marina the same way I have with P!nk, Katy (to an extent), etc.

Dreampopboy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.