Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart | Page 217 | The Popjustice Forum

Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by ZacharieH, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart (Album) & Singles

Amazing album. Period.

2. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart (Album) & Singles

Amazing amazing album. It's early to say but I'd be very surprised if there's another pop album released this year able to top this! I'll post a proper opinion later after I've listened more.

Just one thing - anyone notice the album version of Lies (3:46) is shorter than the sampler version (4:02)? It cuts the first half of the breakdown out and as mentioned, the ad-lib at the start of the second chorus. Weird. I like the sampler version better...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  3. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart (Album) & Singles

Lana Del Rey has competition for album of the year at last. Fear and Loathing, so glad the first time to hear that final chorus was now, its just so huge and epic and goosebump inducing, the end of it horrifies me though, listening to it for the first time in bed in the dark last night with my eyes closed was not the wisest decision i've ever made, I thought a ghost was in my room.

4. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart (Album) & Singles

Are the HMV signed copies standard or deluxe? I can't figure it out from my order (it's not listed anymore on the store) so now I don't know whether I should order a deluxe copy or not?

5. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart (Album) & Singles

You can tell there was a lot of effort & thought put into the production & sound of the album. Almost every song has a little reverb, some odd sound effects, ethereal synths, and a dark, menacing bassline. It's like 'Femme Fatale's quality pop production mixed with moody, brooding atmospherics in a concept album about love. Very impressed by this so far. The second half of the album is close to perfect, and she really got it spot on with the sequencing, didn't she? Can't wait to hear Buy The Stars.

Favorites: Bubblegum Bitch, Lies, whole 2nd half

6. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart (Album) & Singles

This album is pure brilliance! I love the finished version of 'Starring Role', it's perfect!

My favourites are probably:

Bubblegum Bitch,
    Primadonna
    Lies,
    Starring Role,
    Teen Idle

7. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart (Album) & Singles

The album outro in Fear and Loathing is some sort of Greek song, isn't it? Maybe it's her mum singing? It made me genuinely sad when I listened to it for the first time. Not to mention the fact that I can relate to the song 100%.

8. Jam

Jam

Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart (Album) & Singles

I've decided to resist and wait for my deluxe edition to arrive...I will do this...I will

9. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart (Album) & Singles

Love this album. So far my favorites are The State of Dreaming, Starring Role, Valley of the Dolls, Hypocrates, and Fear and Loathing. I forgot how beautiful Fear and Loathing is.

10. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart (Album) & Singles

Teen Idle is just everything I had hoped and more. "Super! Super! Super!"

And the middle eight;
    "I wish I wasn't such a narcissist,
    I wish I didn't really kiss the mirror when I'm on my own,
    Oh God I'm gonna die alone"

It also features the "Ain't youth meant to be beautiful?" line from The Archetypes video.

It's just all SO GOOD.

11. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart (Album) & Singles

I think it's also important to highlight how superbly she's grasped how to implement a dub-step beat into a pop song.

Rihanna's use of it in the past (Rated R) I wouldn't really class as being very pop anyway. And her present use of it (You Da One, Red Lipstick) is gimmicky as fuck. The same goes for Madonna and Britney. Katy B has a strong knowledge of it, but then her music follows a more urban route anyway.

Marina has managed to make it meld effortlessly with her other musical influences. So much so that you barely notice it's in there.

12. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart (Album) & Singles

Whoever reviewed the album and said that Valley of the Dolls was the best track on it completely loathes Marina. It's by far the least personal/lyrically interesting song on the album.

13. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart (Album) & Singles

I'm glad I didn't listen to 'Living Dead' when it first leaked because the middle 8 is giving me life right now.

14. Resi12

Resi12 Guest

Impeccable album, too many favourite 'moments' to write, standout has to be Teen Idle right? Echoing IMHO, the "super, super, super" chant is amazing. Also... I can kinda see why Radioactive isn't on the standard edition. I mean fantastic song, obvs but I couldn't see it fit anywhere on the album.

Glorious, can't wait to get my hands on the Deluxe tomorrow.

15. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart (Album) & Singles

My signed deluxe edition got shipped from HMV this morning! Hopefully should be in my hands on Saturday. Can't wait.

16. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart (Album) & Singles

Am I missing something but I hear no dub on Teen Idle, anyway still like the sound of it. Going to wait till I have the album to listen to it as a whole

17. He

He

I'm loving every bit of this, the lyrics are gorgeous.

My only tiny bit complain would but that it isn't a big departure from The Family Jewels sound; not that this is a terrible thing.

18. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart (Album) & Singles

Lies completes my life at the moment. Especially the "I just wanted to be perfect" line.

Fucking bravo, cannot wait to listen to this in the car on the way to class. Lana's got competition.

19. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart (Album) & Singles

My only problem is that the album goes by too fast! I really need the deluxe tracks to finish this whole thing off because I'm really left wanting more.

20. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart (Album) & Singles

'Teen Idle'. There's no words. The amount of goosebumps I got whilst given it it's first spin. I live for songs like this. Near perfect album!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.