Marina And The Diminishing Returns - Love + Fear

Status
Not open for further replies.
The music video is giving me H & M winter/holiday music video realness.
This video probably cost about as much as the average halter top in H&M so that seems accurate.

It’s already got over 100K plays on YouTube which I think is relatively high for a Marina video. Maybe the Clean Bandit feature actually helped her a profile a bit. Quite a decent start I’d say!

SO I did some google searches in an attempt to like this song more. ("Gemini, It's not that deep" Yeah yeah, I know. But maybe it is.). I wanted to try to figure out what this song is supposed to mean, because it's not as obvious of a metaphor as Froot was with comparing love to fruit and rotting to decaying relationships, And I have a hard time liking a song that is a little more deep than surface level pop at this point in my life.

Blue birds in your dreams symbolize happiness and sadness and is an indictation of the resolution of conflicting... conflicts in your life. Blue jays also keep their same mate for their whole life.
Perhaps this song is about creating a world around you where relationships don't have to end and the aspiration to be like nature- as said in the first lines, she thinks their lives are more simple and easier to navigate. In the second verse, she feels unease about being amongst the skyscrapers, so I think the song is a lot about escaping the struggles humans go through, like the world that humans built isn't fulfilling for her- maybe a little bit of a hard to escape trap, since birds also symbolize freedom and that is what she's envious of in the song.

Uel4207.gif

he/him
The video is nice, but I think I'd prefer it if it didn't have the overlays. There are many pretty shots that I feel are ruined by them.

SO I did some google searches in an attempt to like this song more. ("Gemini, It's not that deep" Yeah yeah, I know. But maybe it is.). I wanted to try to figure out what this song is supposed to mean, because it's not as obvious of a metaphor as Froot was with comparing love to fruit and rotting to decaying relationships, And I have a hard time liking a song that is a little more deep than surface level pop at this point in my life.

Blue birds in your dreams symbolize happiness and sadness and is an indictation of the resolution of conflicting... conflicts in your life. Blue jays also keep their same mate for their whole life.
Perhaps this song is about creating a world around you where relationships don't have to end and the aspiration to be like nature- as said in the first lines, she thinks their lives are more simple and easier to navigate. In the second verse, she feels unease about being amongst the skyscrapers, so I think the song is a lot about escaping the struggles humans go through, like the world that humans built isn't fulfilling for her- maybe a little bit of a hard to escape trap, since birds also symbolize freedom and that is what she's envious of in the song.

She probably just saw a bluebird one day and was like "Yas, a hook," but I love this write-up.

I think the song is right there in the lyrics: we construct our own places in which to belong, but it's not quite a natural home and there's an undercurrent of illusion and transience to it, what with the smothering ivy and the skyscrapers falling down.

I love the concept of Marina being dressed in dozens of layers in the snow as it goes against what a pop artist's lead single video is supposed to look like, but you can keep the song.

The verses are Marina on autopilot except not as eloquent as usually, and the chorus is from another song whose verses actually describe something about that frickin Handmade Heaven.

I guess I would be willing to accept a "you are supposed to guess/imagine/infer what the handmade heaven is supposed to be" argument, but there's no indication within the song that it's meant to be that deep.

Now give me Medehhanavde.

Ok I've sat on this song for long enough to have an opinion.

My first reaction wasn't much different from most people here saying it's "more of the same" for her and that there's nothing new and could be an album track. While I do agree this probably won't be the strongest, catchiest, boppiest song on the album, I can't help but think this single is a huge departure from her previous effort and showcases an enormous growth.
The comparisons with Happy are valid, also those that say it sounds like Weeds or Gold. It's classic Marina, almost Marina-by-the-numbers, but there are several elements that make it stand out for me. There is an obvious build-up, and even though the song doesn't ever 'drop' or anything, the first minute and the last are quite different from eachother. Another stand-out aspect is the depth in the production - my main complaint about FROOT - every single second of the song contains some unique, different sound, and nothing sounds like it's looped. There are pianos, guitars, claps, some two or three drum layers, and one good amount of REVERB! which makes me so happy because she seemed to be scared of it during FROOT and released a singing-under-a-glass album. On Handmade Heaven her vocals are lush, enormous, and take the center position of the track.
Considering we're getting this as a 'comeback single', since she's been doing side-stuff for almost 5 years, I really don't see it as a problem that the song sounds "classically Marina", while still evolving on that sound. HandMade Heaven makes me think of Solitaire, as if the same protagonist dwelled in that feeling and felt more... at ease with it? It's a bit melancholic but also very textured and intricate.

Oh and the video being a basic iamamiwhoami-the-shining crossover caught me instantly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 30181

As predicted, I'm liking the song more and more with each listen.

Also, I don't really understand the whole "it sounds too much like Marina" schtick. I mean, I love her because she sounds like her. Most artists who write their own material have specific traits that make their songs recognisable as them.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's fine. I've listened to it once and that's probably the only time I'll listen to it. I'm not a fan of the video. The one good thing I took from the video is that a few shots reminded me of SFA's Flowers, which is never a bad thing. As a lead single, it's a little bit effete for my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.