Marina And The Diminishing Returns - Love + Fear

Status
Not open for further replies.
fr00t.jpg

A cover.

D

Deleted member 30181

I adore the picture on the Love cover. She looks stunning and a bit smug in a mysterious, Mona Lisa kind of way.

Anyway, it's quite easy for me to rate the tracks on Love:

1. Baby
2. Superstar
3. True

4. Love Your Life
5. To Be Human
6. Handmade Heaven
7. End of the Earth

8. Orange Trees

Honestly, I think claiming the music is weaker because of her new found happiness and sense of self is disingenuous. Happy and Froot lyrically cover similar themes, and runs circles around LOVE.

There’s just a huge difference in showing, instead of telling. On Froot and her earlier albums, she stayed true to herself by going places conceptually her peers wouldn’t really touch and approaching songwriting with a refreshing honesty. She didn’t need a song with lyrics like “Always said we're gonna be true / We will never change, we will never change” because her authenticity to her vision was apparent on its own.

I'll always love her but the lyric on this garage band song
https://genius.com/Marina-the-common-cold-lyrics

is probably better than any attempt on LOVE and probably FEAR ddd

"But the stars, they fracture
And now I'm piecin' together a puzzle of your face
But the part for your heart, it never fits into place
Oh-oh, place

Love is a turbulent sea
Are you scared to swim with me?
Swim past the fishermen's nets that have
Already tried to trap you and me"

I mean it's the perfect fakedeep Marina

Honestly, I think claiming the music is weaker because of her new found happiness and sense of self is disingenuous. Happy and Froot lyrically cover similar themes, and runs circles around LOVE.

Froot doesn't cover similar themes at all though? On the surface it may sound positive but one of the things I love about it lyrically is that it is still laced with anxiety and a sense of urgency and inflated ego - the whole parallel of her being like a fruit is that she's feeling great and secure at a moment in time but it's inevitably going to rot away and evaporate at any minute. The hyper-confident lyrics are a cover for the insecurity of not being wanted. If anything Froot is lyrically more similar to Primadonna than anything on Love.

Froot doesn't cover similar themes at all though? On the surface it may sound positive but one of the things I love about it lyrically is that it is still laced with anxiety and a sense of urgency and inflated ego - the whole parallel of her being like a fruit is that she's feeling great and secure at a moment in time but it's inevitably going to rot away and evaporate at any minute. The hyper-confident lyrics are a cover for the insecurity of not being wanted. If anything Froot is lyrically more similar to Primadonna than anything on Love.
This is what Marina did best.

FROOT was basically adult Electra Heart, mature enough to see her faults and be confident, but still quite vulnerable.

And none for Savages though. This is where all went wrong, actually. She felt her oats with it, and thought an album of this mindset would be a step forward.

I think the lyrics are meant to be more tongue in cheek than you’re giving her credit. Don’t take my word for it though, in this interview (3:53) Marina describes Froot as “being ready to feel happy, to love somebody. It’s a very positive song.”

That doesn’t mean what you’re saying doesn’t apply. Yes, the lyrics are laced with an impending sense of doom, but that came from an artist that was more self aware and nuanced. All of which is missing on this album.

Status
Not open for further replies.