Marina & The Diamonds - Froot | Page 8 | The Popjustice Forum

Marina & The Diamonds - Froot

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Noir, Jun 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Third Album & Singles

I really liked Electra Heart in 2012. I'm not too bothered to listen to it anymore except Fear & Loathing which is incredible to this day.

2. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Third Album & Singles

Electra Heart is far superior in my eyes (ears?)

There isn't a single weak track.

3. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Third Album & Singles

I wasn't feeling The Family Jewels until I first heard Electra Heart and decided to revisit it. Now, I'd say the former is a 9, whereas the latter is an 8.

4. Island

Island Staff Member

Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Third Album & Singles

MKS impact. I'm so excited for this!

5. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Third Album & Singles

It shocks me that people find 'Electra Heart' to be the superior album. I was so disapointed with about half of it.

Yes the 'Family Jewels' is a total mess but that's why it works. It's not in anyway cohesive but it's binded together with strong melodies and amazing production.

6. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Third Album & Singles

The Family Jewels is superior, I think. It just feels so much more Marina. It's literally her in musical album form.

Electra Heart is a bit too concept-y and a lot of it feels distant from her as a person - which is why she didn't even want to release it under her actual name.

7. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Third Album & Singles

She really committed to the concept of Electra Heart, though. What other popstar has seen such an idea through so thoroughly?

8. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Third Album & Singles

I agree, but eh, didn't the whole thing kind of fall apart halfway through when she was basically bankrupting her label? Some of the videos were a bit boring. But the big ones - Radioactive, Primadonna, Lies etc were excellent.

9. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Third Album & Singles

I love Electra Heart, but Family Jewels is definitely the better album for me. It's messy, but I just find it more interest overall.

10. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Third Album & Singles

Yeah, the budgets decreased, but she rarely faltered in embracing/embodying Electra during promotion.

Even before promotion, most concepts are already tatter-thin by the time the album is released. Label interference and an unclear artistic vision often result in albums with a few tracks that relate to the concept mixed in with lots of filler. Marina found a way to relate almost every song back to the concept.

11. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Third Album & Singles

Primadonna is one of the most GIFable music videos ever made.

12. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Third Album & Singles

Are you kidding? The Electra Heart concept was the exact opposite of thorough and consistent. It was certainly well thought out in her head, but after Primadonna it was as half-baked as can be.

13. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Third Album & Singles

Most "concepts" behind albums are utter shit and only make sense in the head of the artist. I find that unless it's Saint Etienne, Pulp or Blur these things are best ignored.

Fortunately, with artists like Marina and GaGa the music is incredible so it doesn't matter.

14. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Third Album & Singles

Also, let's not forget the AMAZING photos that were released during the Electra Heart campaign ,which I believe helped flesh out the concept a lot more than some of the more half-baked videos. Few artists put that amount of effort into realizing a concept, and I believe Marina pulled it off as well as was possible given the circumstances. This doesn't mean that every single song on the album had to be about the Electra Heart persona , or tell a complete story in the vein of Hooverphonic Presents Jackie Cane, but all the songs did fit the aesthetic (along with the excellent Miss-Y, E.V.O.L and Electra Heart)

15. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Third Album & Singles

Electra Heart is one of my favourite albums of all time, the other one....well, the less said about that the better.

16. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Third Album & Singles

I do cherish the imagery that accompanied the Electra Heart campaign (well, before the money seemed to run out anyway). I wonder what we could have been treated to had Marina somehow secured the budget to make a proper video for every track.

As for The Family Jewels vs. Electra Heart, I see no competition; they're both excellent bodies of work that feel intrinsically 'Marina' in different but equally valid ways. I've been listening to David Kosten's work with Bat for Lashes again recently (not that I ever really stop listening to her!!), The Haunted Man in particular, and I cannot wait to hear what he and Marina have concocted.

17. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Third Album & Singles

So is 'FROOT' the single title?

How appropriately loopy.

18. Re: Marina and the Diamonds - Third Album & Singles

I'm trying to love EH as much as everyone else seems too but I just don't see it. The Family Jewels is much stronger in my opinion, melodically, lyrically and production-wise

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.