Matt Cardle - Letters

Status
Not open for further replies.
hitori said:
I like him. I am looking forward in case he gets a new album.

Is he getting a 2nd album? I've read so many rumours, and that he's going out to LA etc to write it.

As for the GT pic, IMO his head looks too large for his body.

I think whoever is behind his 'career' so far deserves the sack. I can understand why previous male X Factor winners flopped - Steve was much older and didn't come across as a very nice person post-X Factor, Joe was a great singer but never a natural 'popstar' and Leon had literally nothing about him and should never have won in the first place. But Matt has an incredible voice, is obviously gorgeous and - the odd negative, probably-misconstrued X Factor comment aside - seems likeable and down to earth. He should be doing really well. The fact that he's not strikes me as such a missed opportunity and is quite frustrating really.

I think whoever is behind his 'career' so far deserves the sack. I can understand why previous male X Factor winners flopped - Steve was much older and didn't come across as a very nice person post-X Factor, Joe was a great singer but never a natural 'popstar' and Leon had literally nothing about him and should never have won in the first place. But Matt has an incredible voice, is obviously gorgeous and - the odd negative, probably-misconstrued X Factor comment aside - seems likeable and down to earth. He should be doing really well. The fact that he's not strikes me as such a missed opportunity and is quite frustrating really.

I sort of agree; though I didn't hear his album (the single once was enough to put me off), I thought he might buck the trend of male winners.

It's weird that the public always favours males and when they win they completely lose interest!

It's weird that the public always favours males and when they win they completely lose interest!

I know, I can't work it out either. The only thing I can think of is that a large proportion of the votes are from girls/gays voting for the person they fancy, which then doesn't translate to record sales after the competition is over. Saying that, One Direction are continuing to trade pretty well on their looks!

I feel bad for Matt. Despite his whole 'credibility' shtick, which was obviously very annoying and ungrateful-sounding, he is genuinely very talented. I don't know how much of his album he actually wrote but, however much or little it was, they shouldn't have let him near it. The long and short of it is he needed better material.

I didn't expect him to be dropped. I thought his album sold a respectable amount. It wasn't anything crazy but it wasn't a flop.

S

StraightActing19

His album has sold around 270k, so nothing crazy but not that bad really.

I guess it just goes to show how much pressure is put on these X-Factor acts.

I'm not surprised in the slightest. As soon as a I heard that Gary Barlow song, I knew it was only a matter of time. Syco do not tolerate failure. If one of their acts can't sell millions or appeal to the American market then Simon has no interest. His stock in trade is crap divas and bow tie wearing tykes. I'm absolutely certain Marcus Collins will be dropped very soon, and Little Mix will follow him if they don't get to #1.

I'm absolutely certain Marcus Collins will be dropped very soon

There was an article in the Daily Star today saying that this will be happening imminently, unless 'Mercy' is a hit (which it won't be).

I actually think Little Mix will do very well, but you're right - Syco have impossibly high standards and won't tolerate anything other than a smash. Why should they, when they have a production line of popstars-in-the-making and can so easily move on to the next? It's a horrible situation and I hate that acts don't get a proper chance these days - half of the biggest popstars of the past decade wouldn't have made it past single number two if things had always been this way.

The pop world mourns.

Still, I actually do feel for him (and indeed any other X Factor/talent show act). If they don't produce a smash hit, or a popular album, they get dropped. Which is quite ridiculous since Syco are the ones who set them up with material in the first place.

I feel sorry for Matt. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but at least his album was better than most releases by X Factor acts and he has a nice voice. Starlight and especially Stars & Lovers were very good. I wonder what would have happened if one of those two songs had been the lead single instead of the dreadful Run For Your Life.

Starlight was a really good song. I did actually like him on the X Factor, but I'm still a bit confused about why he went on it in the first place. Maybe now he'll finally achieve his credibility!

And if Marcus Collins gets dropped, I will throw a party.

There was an article in the Daily Star today saying that this will be happening imminently, unless 'Mercy' is a hit (which it won't be).

I actually think Little Mix will do very well, but you're right - Syco have impossibly high standards and won't tolerate anything other than a smash. Why should they, when they have a production line of popstars-in-the-making and can so easily move on to the next? It's a horrible situation and I hate that acts don't get a proper chance these days - half of the biggest popstars of the past decade wouldn't have made it past single number two if things had always been this way.

These days, especially with Syco, if you don't immediately become famous with your debut #1 smash you're dropped like a stone. It just shows the record labels incompetence. They don't know how to develop artists, or how fandom works. Fanbases grow over time. Most of the world's famous singers today have had previous failures and flops before they found success, and none of them grew an army of stans from one single. It also shows that Syco have no awareness of the effect that this has on the respectability of the show, because the public are sure to sniff out the label's utter incapability sooner or later.

Simon Cowell only knows how to release music off X-Factor hype, and doesn't have a clue what to do with most artists. He just tries to make them into imitations of other singers. He also seems to think an artist is a hopeless failure if they're not an immediate overnight sensation. But Matt will never have that type of success, because he doesn't do pop. That's ok. They needed to either let him have total control of the music and help him develop a unique sound, or rein him in and insist on having more input into the music, because the bottom line is it wasn't good enough. Also having a crap Gary Barlow song as a lead single did nothing for his credibility.

Marcus was doomed from the start. It's ridiculous that they thought an album of shit covers was acceptable. Marcus isn't pop-star material anyway, but he would be a great in stage musicals.

I'm not surprised. This does bring up my major frustration with these damn singing competitions though, where the public votes for these safe, utterly bland white guys with guitars then doesn't even bother to buy their album. That other acts from that same year have had similar or greater chart success and sales is popjustice.

Status
Not open for further replies.