Mean Girls (The Movie of the Musical)

I like the songs from the musical but have no desire to see this film.

Also the story Reneé Rapp told on Las Culturistas about how funny she found it to humiliate a minimum wage worker in an airport car rental was enough to put me off of her for life. It's going to take a megabop to make me reconsider.

Saw this last night and it's a solid 8/10 for me. Karen, Regina and Janis are the standouts for me. Cady is the weak link for sure. As a massive fan of the musical some of the new arrangements don't quite hit the mark (Stupid with love mainly) and the new song replacing 'it roars' is baffling as it's utter trash. The film overall is great fun, I laughed and smiled a lot and that's exactly the intention I guess. It's not going to win awards but it's a fresh take, it doesn't attempt to ruin or replace the original. The showing I went to was sold out and it was really cute seeing huge groups showing up all dressed in pink and having a great time.

Yeah Renée's unfilterdness kinda feels just as much as an act as others media training

Yeah I don’t know her but I’ve seen a lot of clips going around this week with people praising her for not being media trained … but it looks completely pre meditated just to appeal to the “go off sis” generation on tik tok.

Also still not sure I’m able to watch this movie.

It does have some big laughs, but the songs don’t work for me at all. Apart from maybe one.

My audience were giggling at/during most of the songs, but the big jokes did get a good amount of laughs.

Tina Fey hasn’t aged a single day.

I did roll my eyes that some of the bite was removed. Where were Regina’s Mums’ cocktails and new boobs? Everything with the Mum fell flat. Janice is a…. Pyromaniac?

One of the worst movies I’ve seen at the cinema and I think it was wet blanket Cady breaking into song after winning Spring Queen that I felt myself lose it. I was bodied. Fully KO’d at that point.

The movie is musical theatre hell, bad staging and lighting and universally poor comedic performances that flatlines maybe thee best joke heavy movie of the last twenty years — even Tina Fey completely misses both in front and behind the camera because the new material we do get and restructuring of key gags / random social media montages to truncate the story (often to accommodate whatever jump scare song is happening next) lands with a thud and her performance is devoid of anything resembling a human emotion.

It’s a fascinating side by side case study of how production choices can make a bad movie of a great script.

Mean Girls 2 is somewhere laughing in the corner.

I did roll my eyes that some of the bite was removed. Where were Regina’s Mums’ cocktails and new boobs? Everything with the Mum fell flat.
Agree, the Mom was a big miss and I actually love Busy Philipps. I do have some issues with the cast. Avantika ATE her musical number but throughout the movie her it felt very Drag Race queen portraying Karen in a skit. The girl playing Cady has no charisma and she's the bloody main character! No wonder the entire promo for this movie revolved mostly around Renee. I also hated the new Gretchen fff

Seen this last night and wanted to love it but never quite got there.

I didn’t despise it like a lot of people on TikTok seemed to.

Mean Girls is one of the most quotable movies of our generation and I think they dropped the ball a little. The magic felt missing. And I’m a fan of the Broadway show!

I don’t think it was necessarily bad but it wasn’t necessarily great either.

Seen this last night and wanted to love it but never quite got there.

I didn’t despise it like a lot of people on TikTok seemed to.

Mean Girls is one of the most quotable movies of our generation and I think they dropped the ball a little. The magic felt missing. And I’m a fan of the Broadway show!

I don’t think it was necessarily bad but it wasn’t necessarily great either.

I think this is the worst bit. Obviously a great movie is what we wanted. But if it was awful, I know i love a bad movie night. It can be such fun to watch awful movies.

Cady was horribly miscast. I like most of the rest of the cast (I actually really liked Karen, Janis, and Damien. Renée was always going to kill it as Regina) but Cady was not a good pick for a musical film. They either had to remove or completely alter all of Cady’s songs because the actress they chose just didn’t have the pipes for them. Cady is actually a pretty demanding role vocally in the musical.

I haven't seen this yet but have been hearing the same about Angourie Rice. Cady is a deceptively tricky part - she's the kind of protagonist that the action happens around. You have to have a charisma supernova like a Lindsay Lohan, who just had that X factor that sucked you in. It's different onstage with the audience being further away, but I listened to the movie soundtrack and uhhhh they really needed a beltress.