Melanie C

NoJusticeJustPop said:
You gotta love Mel C - She so should have released 'First day of my life' in the UK after it went to Number 1 in Germany!

She should include a sticker on the front saying "The German Mega Hit" or something.
Anyway the Yeh Yeh Yeh performance was ok. Nothing special.
She doesn't pull off the whole rock chick thing well at all. She should backtrack to the Northern Star album stuff. That was good.

On another topic, someone was talking about Melanie C's new song and it reminded me of some of her old stuff. Remember "Goin Down" and "Ga Ga" ?

Dug them out of my cd collection... Yes, I DID buy them :p and they are pretty great. Didn't appreciate just how great til 6 or so years after they were released!

Dan

I just remembered Goin' Down the other day. I still don't approve of the awful kilt/skirt she wore in the video. I agree about appreciating them, I hated the song when I was younger but I quite like it now.

She tried too hard with the lesbo-punk look and faux-rock chic attitude but it was a brave attempt at breaking away from the Spice Girls sound and style. It's different.

I FUCKING LOVE GA GA!

She sounds really malevolent in it, like a Spice Girl gone wrong. Mel C's first album still rules the solo Spice roost and none come close to it, it's really a great well rounded pop album.

Unfortunately she decided to try and be PJ Harvey.

You kno, I think that could b y the songs themselves are much better nowadays. The image of her jumping around foolish with a tartan miniskirt looking like judy finnagan on crack, is less fresh. So maybe it's just all about the music lads and lasses!

drums to die for said:
You kno, I think that could b y the songs themselves are much better nowadays. The image of her jumping around foolish with a tartan miniskirt looking like judy finnagan on crack, is less fresh. So maybe it's just all about the music lads and lasses!

But the music is shit. It's possibly what her fans want but I personally couldn't listen to Reason, it's just soulless and horrible next to the multi-layered Northern Star.

I love 'Closer'

Would have been an amazing closing single, with a video like Madonna's 'Take A Bow'

I think there was some conflict between the music and the image. It was a pop abum through and through, so why they led with 'Goin Down' and portrayed the image they did I'll never know.

I loved Goin' Down when it came out. I don't think people knew what to make of it when it came out though.

I didn't care for her other solo albums (especially "Reason"); but, Northern Star was great.

x

I also loved Northern star, though I always thought "If that were me" was totally wrong as a single. Reason was very weak, and only had a couple of standout tracks. Beautiful Intentions was very very good, but releasing "Next Best Superstar" was just a dumb move...probably the second worst track of the album...and bitching about (mostly) reality shows was totally pointless...

Cid309 said:
releasing "Next Best Superstar" was just a dumb move......

A top ten single was a dumb move? I thought it was by far the best track on the album. I liked 'beautiful intentions' the song, but that's really all.

I

infinity_within

Well I liked Next Best Superstar, even if it was a bit whiffy. The remix of Better Alone was 1 of the very best solo-spice moments - it was so good a friend of mine is convinced I stole it.. I wish I did.

I wouldn't mind her supposed 'shift' in musical direction if she just accepted her main purpose is to belt "if you're havin' a good time". My main memory of her as a Spice Girl, in talking mode, was lifting the lid on nose-picking ("everybody does it").

All in all, take away the bad press and daft images - Melanie C has got quite a decent tally of songs. I agree that Northern Star and Beautiful Intentions were great with some outstanding tracks on them.

There's one song on her latest album, correct me if I'm wrong... "Better Alone" I think - it has the greatest little bit at the end. This totally uplifting orchestra section.

RhythmNative said:
I love 'Closer'

Would have been an amazing closing single, with a video like Madonna's 'Take A Bow'

What seeing her get closer and closer....to a bull in a fight and impaled? Poor Mel.

I always liked 'melt', and positively somewhere from Reason. that was about it. 'feel the sun' was nice also from Northern Star as was the album version of 'I turn to you'.

V

vasilios

Northern Star was a masterpiece and a great example of how to do a solo album, still pop but two steps ahead too. The producers, the songs, the remixes, the artwork, the b sides, everything was top class. Even the tour and the tour programme. The videos too. It would be nice if they did a PCD and released Feel The Sun, too, the dance remix she played live was aceness.

Then she found love, control, safeness and health and we all know what followed.

She still has hope I think, with the right song.

First Day was a step in the right direction, and if it came with a new album straight after it it would be great.

letuinmybackdoor said:
Cid309 said:
releasing "Next Best Superstar" was just a dumb move......

A top ten single was a dumb move? I thought it was by far the best track on the album. I liked 'beautiful intentions' the song, but that's really all.

A top ten single hardly means anything nowadays...She released the only track of the album that she hadn't co-written, which was bad for her credibility. The song was quite bland, and it's topic was hardly relevant...bashing reality shows? Oh please...She could have ranted about much more interesting topics by releasing actually better tracks!!

The trouble with the "Beautiful Intentions" album is that it's all ranting and I hope her next album will be more varied. I can see why she felt the need to be bitter but it's hopefully out of her system now.

I always thought "If that were me" was totally wrong as a single

I agree though my other love the song. It's one of my least favourites on the album and all the b-sides were better. I like the wintery production though and as it was a charity single you can see why they went for it though I'd have much preferred "Closer" with a nice radio edit and some camp as Butlins club mixes.

One of my favourite songs from the "Reason" era was "I Love You Without Trying" which was a b-side and yet was better than 90% of the album. I think it was Rick Nowels on production and he did a fair bit of "Northern Star" so I wish Chis could afford to work with him again.