Michael Crichton, RIP | The Popjustice Forum

Michael Crichton, RIP

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sifr, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Author / Filmmaker Michael Crichton has died of cancer at 66. Depressing.

I didn't always love his work, but you have to give it up to the guy who thought a book about recreating dinosaurs in a theme park environment would be a blast, and it was. (you have to give it up even more when he'd already used the exact same concept for a movie 20 years before - Westworld, I'm looking at you.) Great ideas - probably his strength even more than his actual writing.

As a novelist he wrote The Andromeda Strain, The Terminal Man, Disclosure, created ER (so in a way we have him to thank for the ascent of George Clooney)

As a filmmaker he directed Westworld, Coma (which is great), Looker (which is interesting) and Runaway (which is hilarious)

2. I'm properly shocked by this as I didn't even know he had cancer. His books are amazing (Jurassic Park is one of my favourite books ever and I love the film too.) and he's a brilliant writer. He's to thank for ER as well. I liked a lot his work and I loved it when he had a new book out. I'm properly gutted by this news!

3. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

I had no idea. He's one of my favourite authors.
    This is so sad.

He was great at characterisation and spent an enormous amount of time researching things to make sure his science fiction was based on science fact.
    The Lost World is much better than the movie so I recommend you read it.

4. I adore The Lost World book, actually that might be better than Jurassic Park, I can't decide. You hit the nail on the head as to why I love him so much too. It's the research that went into his books and I love that he managed to write really well informed books on such a variety of topics, all really interesting. There aren't any authors that I know of who could tackle gender and dinosaurs (two of my favourite subjects ever!) and make them so compelling. I'm going to have to read the one or two books of his that I've yet to read.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.