Mika - Songs For Sorrow EP/Tour | The Popjustice Forum

Mika - Songs For Sorrow EP/Tour

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Dazzle, May 8, 2009.

1. It's the news so many of you have been dreading. Mika is on his way back! He is releasing a new EP online later this month and doing a small acoustic tour next month. Got my tickets for London this morning. This isn't the way I was expecting him to make his comeback but good on him for surprising me.

I await lots of "Mika is shit" comments.

2. Re: Return Of The Mika

I don't think Mika is shit at all - quite the opposite in fact. Saw him at Brixton a year or two back and he proved to be very entertaining and consistent.

3. potatosalad

potatosalad Guest

Re: Return Of The Mika

I used to think Mika was shit, but then he released Happy Ending and I started to like him.

Looking forward to his new material, don't really mind if it's more of the same.

4. Re: Return Of The Mika

I've just seen him slagged off on here a lot. He is very love/hate isn't he? Personally I adore him and his music. Can't wait for the gig. EEP

5. Charley

Charley Staff Member

I got into his music when I read that Siobhan Donaghy had played 'Relax Take It Easy' during a DJ set. I used to really like him and I even introduced my friends to him by putting a song of his on my MySpace (Oh, gone are the days...) but then he was EVERYWHERE FOREVER and it really put me off him.

6. Re: Return Of The Mika

I don't like him but the second wave of male popstars has, incredibly, been even more disappointing than he was so I suppose it's time to give him a second chance, no?

7. Re: Return Of The Mika

I like him.

8. potatosalad

potatosalad Guest

Who are the second wave of male popstars? Names!

9. Re: Return Of The Mika

Well it will be interesting to see what he comes up with for the second album. I am not expecting a crabon copy of 'Life in cartoon motion' but I don't think I'm expecting a drastic departure either.

10. Re: Return Of The Mika

Sam Sparro, Luigi Masi, Lady Gaga

11. potatosalad

potatosalad Guest

Yes, Lady GaGa's tampon string was unleashed on purpose to throw us all!

12. Re: Return Of The Mika

I just looked up his chart entries:

Grace Kelly was ok but the 'ker-ching' at the end was so annoying.

Love Today was just fucking dreadful and I'm amazed it was picked as a single (although I've never heard the album so have no idea how the other tracks stand up against it).

Big Girl - again just dreadful, and the way he says 'lady' is really annoying ...."lydee".

Happy Ending - this one never even entered my conscience. I had never even heard it - it's boring though.

Relax, Take It Easy - this was my favourite of the singles.

All in all he is quite shit though.

13. slimane

slimane Guest

I hope his singing has improved. On record it seems like he's quite a techinically strong vocalist but live he just seems to sing in falsetto which is what comes easiest to him....but its damn annoying!

14. Re: Return Of The Mika

I never got bored of him. His album was pretty consistant (although My Interpretation was dreadful MOR bilge), and I liked the singles very much - yes, including Love Today AND Big Girl (You Are Beautiful). I thought Billy Brown would've done alright for itself too, had they been brave enough to release a song about an indecisive bisexual.

I'm looking forward to the new stuff, although his trademark falsetto could bore people the second time around if he doesn't alter his sound a tad (see The Darkness).

15. Re: Return Of The Mika

i commented his picture on myspace saying he looked like a spaced out whitney and he messaged me saying how much it made him laugh.

blagging about celebrity encounters aside - i get a sense that unless his debut single is really good, its gona be a case of a james blunt style big-sales-opening-week followed by a complete lack of continued interest from the general public.

Although I must say, he really is one of the only male soloists we have that makes any kind of an impact on the music industry so I would feel shit for a few hours if the new album was crap.

16. potatosalad

potatosalad Guest

Does everyone remember this picture of Mika's acid bath feet?

[​IMG]

Shocking!

17. Re: Return Of The Mika

Lady Gaga? Am I missing something?

Who were the first wave of male popstars?

18. Re: Return Of The Mika

Irritating.

19. Re: Return Of The Mika

Oh God No!

20. Re: Return Of The Mika

Mika is shit

(Someone hadn't said it)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.