Miles Away (Madonna) - 3rd Confirmed Single | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

Miles Away (Madonna) - 3rd Confirmed Single

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Mr.Arroz, Aug 1, 2008.

1. debord

debord Guest

2. A friend of mine said the only reason they're releasing this now is because all the remixes leaked and they had no choice... which strikes me as odd.

It's a real shame cos it is quite a lovely song.. And particularly moving given what is going in Madonna's life at the minute.

3. The song might have been vaguely moving if it wasn't for the clunky, uninspired production. It has a nice melody and decent lyrics, but the production really is hugely dodgy.

4. paul lekakis

paul lekakis Guest

I heard the Radio edit today that ends on her vocals.
    I want it!

5. A bit late, I know, but I was laughing at your Madonna-as-a-judge idea for ages, Daneeeboy. I could totally see her doing that.

As for Miles Away - I think it'd be a real shame if it flops, because it's a really nice song. One of the best from Hard Candy, for sure.

6. Going by the recent pattern of her album releases, the autumn of 2010 sounds about right for Madonna's Live Nation debut. I've noticed, however, that her songs are conspicuously absent from the X Factor performances - is that because Simon Cowell doesn't rate her, or has she refused permission?

7. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

I think this is the key to why 'Miles Away' hasn't clicked with me like it seems to have with a lot of other people. Her vocals also seem to be a bit... uninterested? The chorus is a bit of a let down too.

I like the song, and love the lyrics, but don't understand people saying this is the only "classic Madonna" song on Hard Candy. 'Give It 2 Me', 'Heartbeat' and even '4 Minutes' sound more to me like "classic Madonna" than this.

I mean, she doesn't even say "get up on the dancefloor" or "waiting/hesitating" in this song. What kind of classic Madonna is that?!?

8. debord

debord Guest

Hope did ‘Hanky Panky’ last year and incorporated ‘Hung Up’ into their Abba week performance.

9. It's doing better than I thought it would in the radio airplay charts. I thought it would go completely under the radar.

But after this, she needs to quit Hard Candy and make Confessions part two!

10. She should have released Beat Goes On although Miles Away fits the monent for her and what she is currently going through.

She needs to take a couple of years off, hunt out a decent undergroud producer (a la Orbit/Mirwais/Price) start writing with Pat Leonard again about relationship woes and voila!

We have a Like A Prayer/Ray of Light/Music/Confessions era again (and please Madge no more touring for at least 3 years, give us fans a time to get over the credit cruch before you go flouncing your punani around Wembley again)...

11. paul lekakis

paul lekakis Guest

Since she abandoned the project after "4 Minutes" I am really glad she released "Give it 2 me" which was risque since it's not exactly the type of song that will catch on in the US.
    But had she invested more time into the project, it would have been more clever to release "Beat Goes On" to Urban Radio simultaneously with a remixed "She's Not Me" (including only the Electro-House backing track of the second half) to Dance radio. Top that off with "Miles Away" for the Winter/Xmas market and start off 2009 with "Give it 2 me".

Her "Greatest Hits" campaign would have started during the time when she works heavily on a new album.

12. debord

debord Guest

She pretty much 'abandoned' 'Confessions...' post-'Hung Up' also, aside from putting aside 20 mins for the 'Jump' video. 'GI2M' did a great job of keeping the album going (most places except America) so if they'd released 'Miles Away' with a tour footage video a la 'Get Together' about 2 months ago then I think it would have kept going.

I doubt she's overly disappointed with the album's performance though. Biggest album of 2008 by an American artist (yes, I did just mention HARD CANDY SALES!) though it'll be overtaken by Metallica before the year's out.

13. paul lekakis

paul lekakis Guest

Which is funny, because they delivered their "Confessions..." type of "playing it safe for the fans" album.

14. I love the radio edit of Miles Away, with her voice falling and fading away into the end...

15. Do you mean in terms of worldwide sales?

16. Aamyko

Aamyko Guest

She did good by releasing this song... The lyrics are classic and
    it's the only song on "Hard Candy" that she sings with some passion.
    I really do hope we don't get a concert montage video... that would kill
    it.

17. futurix

futurix Guest

"Hard Candy" sold exactly the same amount in US as "American Life" did. Of course she is disappointed.

18. Only 4 years of declining record sales to consider...

19. futurix

futurix Guest

5 years actually. But still disappointing...

20. She needs to stop forcing sound and settle in a genre.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.