Misleading Singles | Page 7 | The Popjustice Forum

Misleading Singles

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by AshtrayHeart, Jul 12, 2019.

1. You're right. It's more like 5th or 6th single material, after some serious beefing up with a remix that never happened.

She looks good in the video though.

letuinmybackdoor likes this.
  2. I could not disagree with this more. "Put Yourself In My Place" remains her best ballad—"Finer Feelings" is a close second.

I wasn't alive when either song initially came out though, so I have no idea how fans reacted to the release of those singles.

V3RYP05H, Hudweiser, Daniel_O and 3 others like this.
  3. Yes, yes, yes. I mean, I'd go further and say those two are her best songs, full stop, but yes.

I mean, I loved Put Yourself in My Place at the time, but not quite as much as Confide in Me. I was a tween though, so probably not representative of other fans. I was definitely one of the people who loved all three singles, and was then very disappointed in the album. It has grown on me since then though.

V3RYP05H and elektroxx like this.
  4. The singles were definitely the most commercial options, in my opinion. I really enjoy KM94 for most part—besides the dated mess that is "Time Will Pass You By," which I absolutely loathe.

5. ...even tho I’m not scared wasn’t exactly the lead single but the 4th...

6. I remember just before it was announced as a single starting to have 'Put yourself' stuck in my head so it was a no brainer getting a release. It would have done better had it had b sides though as the remixes were underwhelming. One of her best single covers though.

V3RYP05H, DiscoIgor07 and elektroxx like this.
  7. 'Put Yourself...' was Kylie's first single (ever!) to get heavy rotation on FM radio in Melbourne. That's how bland it was.

I don't hate 'Place'. I just think it was a massive let-down after 'Confide'. When I first heard 'Confide', although I knew Kylie had a new single out with that name, it took like 30 seconds to a minute for it to click that it was actually her on the radio. It was so unlike anything she had done before ('Finer Feelings' single version aside, I guess). I felt the same way about the video.

8. So I revisited the album after reading a couple of comments. I adore the album now, but didn’t back then. I understand why the album qualifies as a disappointment for some after the brilliance of Confide. It was definitely too dull for my then pop-only taste.
    But I came round years later, taste broadened, mind expanded. It’s a great down tempo album, with 90s r’n’b hues and grey cool tones. The album could definitely use a couple more Confide-level songs, but it isn’t bad. Especially if you consider that it’s technically home to the epic 13 minute remix of Where Is The Feeling - a remix that her team has rarely topped since.

9. ^ Yes, 'Where Is the Feeling' was the only other track that really stood out for me.

IEngineered likes this.
  10. I’ve always struggled with KM94, I’ve come around to it over the past year, the Sainsbury’s vinyl release helped with that.
    I will say Put Yourself In My Place is gorgeous.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.